Power Rangers Samurai

Forum for any member who isn't in the NoPowerRangers group. Talk about Americanized shows like Power Rangers and Dragon Knight here.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Re: Power Rangers Samurai

Post by FangTrigger »

Because I am a HUGE fan of the PR series, I have to add my input.

First, although I do approve of the return of Bulk (the show needed more 'regular human' interaction) and the addition of Spike (Skull's son.....The need to bring him back for a cameo episode), I feel that they didn't do that good of a job with their characters. Back in the older seasons, Bulk and Skull took a more 'active' role with the rangers, the most notable being in Power Rangers in Space, where they stepped up from their Comic Relief roots and became Honorary Rangers in a sense. After that, the duo broke apart, only coming together in the 'Forever Red' episode of Wild Force. Now, Bulk is back to being the 'leftovers' of the series and not really important in the plot.....I wanted him to be just as involved with the ranges like he used to be back in the good old days.

Second, The Mega Modes. While kick-ass looking (especially Gold's) and menacing, having them gain it only while in the cockpit of the Megazord took away their 'flair.' Mega Mode could have been a very nice 'Battlizer' type deal if Saban introduced it correctly.

Third, Weapon Names/Attacks. Honestly, the only rangers I personally think got a good deal out of it would have to be Blue and Green. Hydro Bow and Forest spear sound more threatening to me than Fire Smasher or land slicer. Their attacks sounded more accurate in my opinion.

Fourth, Megazords. Honestly, I like them. I can understand the whole 'Samurai Artillery' thing because close to no one speaks Japanese over here. The attacks, names, and fusion sequences all flow together. The thing I like the best has to be the fact of how they tied in the Ebi/Lobster zord with the others, opening the episode where they all form Daikai-Shinkenoh with more understanding than in it's Shinkenger counter-part, where
Spoiler
they said it was not one of the original origami, but it was still on a scroll from the 'ancient times' or whatever they called it.
Kinda would have liked it more if they kept the name 'Origami' rather than folding zord, but what can you do?

The toys are ok, but lackluster. My only issue is that they didn't retain the origami transformation, leaving them with just the animal forms. Also looks very dull in terms of color. Then again, most Knock-Offs never look close to the same as their original counterparts.

The villains of this series have undergone a major up/downgrade in some areas. For example, Dayu and Doukoku (Master Xandred now) retain most of their counterparts styles. I think it was better off saying that Xandred drinks medicine rather than alcohol because American kids are more impressional than Japanese kids, which would lead to many kids drinking beer while imitating Xandred. Shitari kinda got the shaft in terms of names. 'Octoroo'? Seriously? That sounds like what you get when you cross a octopus with a kangaroo (odds are, if i look hard enough, I will find a picture of that on the internet). Decker/Juzo keeps his bad-asserdy as the series progresses, but I will say I like the twist they made between him and Dayu (not saying due to it's an 'assumed' spoiler and I don't want to get banned).

Overall, so far it's a good series. Still like the more serious tones that were implied in RPM, but what can you do?

That's it for now. More as the series progresses.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The guy that plays Skull had a PhD in Dramatic Arts. I think he may have better things to do than Power Rangers lol.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by FangTrigger »

Catastrophe wrote:The guy that plays Skull had a PhD in Dramatic Arts. I think he may have better things to do than Power Rangers lol.
True, but the Bulk and Spike thing isn't like it was for Bulk and Skull. Spike is just annoying whereas Skull was actually a fun person.
slyther2rao
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Favorite series: All of them
2nd Favorite Series: As above.
Dreamy: Mako from Shinkenger
Favorite Actor?: Hiroshi Miyauchi
Favorite Band: AKFG
My boom: American Comic books
Quote: Rangers together, Samurai forever!

Post by slyther2rao »

There's nothing more that I can say except this show is fantastic and a great return to my childhood! I enjoyed the disney run (yeah shoot me!) but it lacked the feel of the Saban Era especially when it became serious after Turbo from In Space to Wild Force. Overall I am loving it. I think one of the best things they did was the remixing of the Go GO Power Rangers theme. Awesome stuff.

The good:

The storyline is faithful to the sentai (Not that I ever had a problem with them disregarding it but given the nature of Shinkenger's overt Japanese nature I think Saban probably decided to roll with it. Editing it in any way most likely would have been a bad idea).

Acting: Better than some PR shows. Things improve

Villain: Really nice to see Cole's actor from Wildforce return as Deker (a.k.a, Juzo from Shinkenger). Again it was a nice change of pace to see them adapt the villains faithfully (to a degree). Unlike most people I have no problem with the Sake=medicine. As fans of anime, toku e.t.c. it's clutching at straws to be criticising something like a simple omission of alcohol from a kid's show and go the whole 'OMG CULTURAL WHITEWASHING!' route. No problems there for me.

Bulk: Awesome

Theme Song: I really don't have to say anything do I?

Transitions: Seamless. They've come a long way since MMPR when you can now clearly tell the original footage of the Green Ranger's defeat from the cliffside in Zyuranger.

The Bad:
Still Campy: But again it's kinda like MMPR 2.0 for me but hey, sentai is known for its weird and unusual humour as well right?

Bulk and Spike: Lovely to see Bulk back but there's no reason atm. Unless he gets a solid involvement in the plot then he's wasted space We're a quarter through and nothing substantial

Adaptation: Being faithful is a good thing but unlike Wild force and Time Force (which still had differences) and Jungle Fury( Which because of Episode count among other things abridged/edited several things together and such) Samurai feels like a carbon copy and I suppose it wouldn't be amiss to say we can see what's coming next huh? Unless some changes are made towards the end?

Overall= 8.5/10

(My personal comments: For people bitching about Power Rangers and how SENTAI IS SO MUCH BETTER!, that may be the case but don't forget people watching Sentai are also watching guys and girls in spandex and body armour beating/blowing up latex monsters sometimes with giant robots and insane explosions. To qoute a specific blog "Protect The Power! Stop the Sentai Severity". They are all awesome shows and kick ass!)
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by FangTrigger »

Anyone know when the next episode of power rangers samurai comes out?
Gunzy
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Ryukendo
Dreamy: Sayaka Isoyama
Favorite Band: Clazziquai
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Video Games
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Gunzy »

Samurai is taking a break until July. So maybe a new episode will air after Independence Day week's end.
ImageImage
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by FangTrigger »

TOMMY SAID SKULL IS COMMING BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (youtube video)
Digifiend
Gabu

Post by Digifiend »

If JDF is still in contact with Dr Narvy, then he'd know about Skull... but in the same video, he says a bunch of other stuff, like Deker isn't Cole. He doesn't have any way of knowing that sort of thing, since he doesn't work on the show now.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by FangTrigger »

Digifiend wrote:If JDF is still in contact with Dr Narvy, then he'd know about Skull... but in the same video, he says a bunch of other stuff, like Deker isn't Cole. He doesn't have any way of knowing that sort of thing, since he doesn't work on the show now.
I really didn't know that...... I thought that was just a net rumor
rizefall
Swedish Meatball
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by rizefall »

Digifiend wrote:If JDF is still in contact with Dr Narvy, then he'd know about Skull... but in the same video, he says a bunch of other stuff, like Deker isn't Cole. He doesn't have any way of knowing that sort of thing, since he doesn't work on the show now.
If Skull is coming back. I'll start watch this show without nothing stopping me!
"Lady Luck is smilin"
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by FangTrigger »

rizefall wrote:
If Skull is coming back. I'll start watch this show without nothing stopping me!
He isn't staying for long. just an episode or two.
atilim
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Den-O
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Post by atilim »

What I hate about this show....

The way that little smart guy with Doukoku talks, does he really have to rhyme all the time?
The useless armor when they call out their big toys
Not having a real role call, Shinkenger role call was awesome (could have been because of the music though), oh and the ninja like mask during their hensin
Jaden is a dork compared to Takeru

I can understand why they changed sake to medicine because this is a American show and that their tv rules
I can also understand why they removed the ''farther and mother complex'' lines

Overall, sentai is just better for most people because it is allot ''darker'' then power rangers. Japanese shows have their issues as well (allot of actors) but Japanese tv allow ''darker'' things on tv like death and allies punching each other.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by FangTrigger »

Show is rebooted. Comments so far? (side note: I think the back-story with Daiyuu and Decker was a nice move. Although in the sentai, it was kind of hinted at that they shared something, the power rangers version was very well done.)
atilim
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Den-O
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Post by atilim »

FangTrigger wrote:Show is rebooted. Comments so far? (side note: I think the back-story with Daiyuu and Decker was a nice move. Although in the sentai, it was kind of hinted at that they shared something, the power rangers version was very well done.)

In sentai it was more 1-sided crush by Daiyuu who ''hinted'' to have a thing for Juzoo after he saved him.

I just think it won't really fit well with the overall story since Power Rangers uses stories and parts of sentai. Being a sword otaku was a important part of Juzo and the reason why he was that because that sword was his wife. Now they can't really followe that route which is a same since it shows how deep he fallen.
Gunzy
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Ryukendo
Dreamy: Sayaka Isoyama
Favorite Band: Clazziquai
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Video Games
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Gunzy »

They fixed that in Samurai and retconned it showing that Dayuu and Juuzo/Dekker were married and she gave him her guitar thing and she gave him his sword. What follows after that is pretty much what happened in the Sentai.
ImageImage

Return to “Americanized stuff”