Kamen Rider to Power Rider? The Fail continues.

Forum for any member who isn't in the NoPowerRangers group. Talk about Americanized shows like Power Rangers and Dragon Knight here.
Battra
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Ultra Seven

Re: Kamen Rider to Power Rider? The Fail continues.

Post by Battra »

Power Rider sounds like one of those names you'd find on a box of knock off Kamen Rider toys.
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!
Chaos42
Gao

Post by Chaos42 »

its understandable. Power rangers has a brand recognition that most kids and young adults know of. Plus this opens the door for cross promotions. Also you have to remember that they are taking a risk on it so they have to make it count and all in all decade is probably the one with the most character to make toys of and the one with the highest chance of turning a profit.

And the shinkenger cross over helps a lot =the other thing that is going to help is that saban figured out that changing the plot to some weirdness like they did with rpm and dragon knight doesn't work as well. Lets face it a lot of the plot from dragon knight was dull there were good fights and not everything was explosions which is what power rangers devolved into. Overall i think it would have been better to just do the original plot rather than it.

So i expect we would probably see a lot of the original plot of decade but they will likely iron out the plot issue it had at the end.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Post by FangTrigger »

Chaos42 wrote:its understandable. Power rangers has a brand recognition that most kids and young adults know of. Plus this opens the door for cross promotions. Also you have to remember that they are taking a risk on it so they have to make it count and all in all decade is probably the one with the most character to make toys of and the one with the highest chance of turning a profit.

And the shinkenger cross over helps a lot =the other thing that is going to help is that saban figured out that changing the plot to some weirdness like they did with rpm and dragon knight doesn't work as well. Lets face it a lot of the plot from dragon knight was dull there were good fights and not everything was explosions which is what power rangers devolved into. Overall i think it would have been better to just do the original plot rather than it.

So i expect we would probably see a lot of the original plot of decade but they will likely iron out the plot issue it had at the end.
I gotta disagree with you there on the RPM subject. I liked RPM because it had a seriousness to it that was absent in every Power Ranger series to this date. Although I did watch Go-Onger and get my kicks out of that, I still like RPM better, and I'm actually hoping for a Cross-Over considering they let it end on a Cliff-hanger like that.
Chaos42
Gao

Post by Chaos42 »

im not saying no one liked it but i found it lacking in a lot of areas not just the story being really weak and predictable. Or that the dome idea and mad max idea where a little weak -plus it was basicly galaxy in its design -enclosed city under attack-----

over all i think that going more with the japanese plots would work better as they usually are easier to adapt and i think better quality than the americna ones thus far.

Decade also offers more characters to work with plus they will probably stretch things out if they do in fact to this.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by FangTrigger »

Chaos42 wrote:im not saying no one liked it but i found it lacking in a lot of areas not just the story being really weak and predictable. Or that the dome idea and mad max idea where a little weak -plus it was basicly galaxy in its design -enclosed city under attack-----

over all i think that going more with the japanese plots would work better as they usually are easier to adapt and i think better quality than the americna ones thus far.

Decade also offers more characters to work with plus they will probably stretch things out if they do in fact to this.
All power rangers go with the same deal. Same city under attack by giant monsters and the rest of the world watches. Don't think it's ever been different.

The main reason I think Decade won't work is because it's too far ahead in the series. So far, we have only Masked Rider (fail) and Dragon knight (never watched it, but from the things I've seen it's good). It leaves holes as to who the other riders are (considering they skipped almost every Showa era rided minus black and black rx), thus flipping it from a clever marketing scheme to a bad show. If they started at kamen rider the first (or kamen rider 1) I think they would do better.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

It doesn't matter where they start. It won't work. It's not novel, there is no appeal, people will find it to similar to PR etc. At least Power Rangers has a well established brand name.

To be honest, I think one gets better toys out of Sentai/Power Rangers anyway. Whoever makes any Rider adaption toys will surely castrate it of any fancy electronics etc to make it more feasible to market, and I think a toy robot will beat a belt with lights anyday.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by FangTrigger »

Here is even more proof that we need to stay out of kamen rider

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r67jBFQXJ7E
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

Actually I think they need to start with Fourze, and not market it solely for kids so they can do some of the more serious storylines. Where classmates actually get hurt and that sort of thing. Probably put it on Teen-Nick, and forget all the other shows before Fourze.
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

FangTrigger wrote:The main reason I think Decade won't work is because it's too far ahead in the series. So far, we have only Masked Rider (fail) and Dragon knight (never watched it, but from the things I've seen it's good). It leaves holes as to who the other riders are (considering they skipped almost every Showa era rided minus black and black rx), thus flipping it from a clever marketing scheme to a bad show. If they started at kamen rider the first (or kamen rider 1) I think they would do better.
I think you're severely overestimating the importance of being familiar with the past Riders. I watched Decade to the end while only being nine episodes in to Ryuki and love it, even if the overarching story was pretty sloppy.
So many times watching it I went "Holy shit what is that?" and wanted to know more about the Riders.

They can wait until Kuuga-Kiva have been adapted if they feel like it, but it's not absolutely necessary. So long as Decade's still a cocky but lovable rogue and Kivala keeps her perfect record, I know I'd watch the shit out of it.
HereticMIND
Infinity
Favorite series: DABURU
2nd Favorite Series: WIZAADO
Dreamy: Medusa-sama~~
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "One word and I hit you again."

Post by HereticMIND »

I hope that they do Faiz (555) instead of Kabuto, because in my humble opinion
Spoiler
Kabuto had a very weak protagonist whose sole purpose was to drive the whole damn plot.

Personally, I hope that they bring Kiva stateside.
Spoiler
I totally went there, by the by. What can I say? Wataru is just adorkable and plain cute, while Otoya is a smug bastard but a smug bastard with a heart of gold.
<BrotherFenrir> Omigod all of a sudden I wanna watch gLee.
<BrotherFenrir> The sad thing is that I already have the pilot episode and another first season episode on iTunes...
<BrotherFenrir> I am a pitiful, pitiful man.
mynightmarestays
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen RIder Kabuto
Favorite Actor?: Seto Koji
Favorite Band: Tokio Hotel
My boom: Super Sentai
Quote: "Tha'ts right...Until we seize our dreams, we're going to keep pushing onward!"- Captain Marvelous aka Gokai Red, Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger

Post by mynightmarestays »

I would say do Den-O. It's very kid friendly anyways. Kabuto is very serious though Time Force and SPD which both had serious tones to a degree unlike the others proided to be very succesful and in talks of doing a second season. W would work too and imagnie the fun you could have playing with it. But ouyt of any, I could see Den-O get the American Treatment
Knight of L-sama
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Quote: It is a place that dwells in the memory of those who still dream of its ancient glory. A world revered for its beauty, mystery and danger. On a planet of endless adventure such a land is known as El-Hazard. If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million night, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Knight of L-sama »

General agreement that Decade would be a terrible, terrible series to attempt to adapt right off the bat.

If I was going to try and adapt a series for English audiences I'd probably go with either W or Fourze.

W because the hard (or half) boiled detective theme would already be familiar to audiences through pop cultural osmosis. The genre originated in the US and there have been enough straight and parody versions it would probably at least give them a foot in the door.

Fourze... well its because half the times it seems more like a transplanted stereotypical US high school rather than the normal (or at least TV version of normal) Japanese high school
Welcome to the Sea of Chaos!
rizefall
Swedish Meatball
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by rizefall »

I would not mind a Decade adaption as a whole. I for one still thinks it's a good show, also a good one to start with as you get a glimpse of how the other riders look like.

Much fun shit could be done with decade, if done right.
"Lady Luck is smilin"
kikaida
IXA
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Blade

Post by kikaida »

The best thing to do would be a dub of the actual Japanese episodes - I think we've come far enough to tolerate such a thing . . . if I (if anyone really cares) were to pick any series to DUB it would be Den-O. Simply because of the characters and the fact that the "violence" (except the whole splitting people in half to jump inside their "time") is aimed strictly at "monsters" (Imagine) and not humans that look like monsters (or vice-versa) like 555, Kabuto, or others - no androids or serious gore . . . plus there's no back story needed - Den-O is all self contained and perfect for human consumption.

The thing necessary though is a straight dub . . . no screwy Americanized nonsense. But . . . would Saban or some other US producer listen to a fan like me? :lol:
"There is no charge for awesomeness . . . or attractiveness." Po.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

rizefall wrote:I would not mind a Decade adaption as a whole. I for one still thinks it's a good show, also a good one to start with as you get a glimpse of how the other riders look like.

Much fun shit could be done with decade, if done right.
if they do adapt Decade then they'll probably have to cross Power Rangers Samurai into one or two episodes.

Return to “Americanized stuff”