Kamen Rider to Power Rider? The Fail continues.

Forum for any member who isn't in the NoPowerRangers group. Talk about Americanized shows like Power Rangers and Dragon Knight here.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Kamen Rider to Power Rider? The Fail continues.

Post by FangTrigger »

Did some digging. Kamen Rider might be coming back to the states under the franchise name 'Power Rider.' This is following the episode of Shinkenger that has Decade in it, which Saban claims to have bought rights to.....

Let me say this to start; After two failed attempts (one by saban the other by Adness ~Although this wasn't that bad; it just had to compete with Power Rangers R.P.M~) You'd assume that we'd go, "Maybe this just isn't for us." Then again, this is America. Just outta assumption, they will begin the series at Decade because of the episode, but that would put HUGE plot holes in it from the start, thus lowering its marketing strategy. Kids may be attracted to the flashy attacks and spandex, but they still want some from of a storyline.

Take the failed re-make 'The Last Airbender'; A man wrote that his ten year old son, whom had watched the entire series, disliked the movie for its many inaccurate characters and story-line. If anything, I think Saban should just put a stam marked 'Return to sender' on this one, because I really doubt that they can hack it.

Who knows though? Maybe by the time they release it into the media wilderness (I give it at least 2-3 years), they might have it down pact. Or this could be what theMayans were talking about when they said the world was going to end in 2012

Cast your judgement as well if you feel like it. I really want to hear what everyone has to say.
Last edited by FangTrigger on Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Kamen Rider to Power Rider? The Fail continues.

Post by Lunagel »

My opinion is that if they're going to start with the Decade/Shinken crossover, there's really not a whole lot to work with. You've got about 2 episodes of footage, which maybe you could turn into a movie, but you'd still end up with having to do a lot of the fight footage yourself, which just isn't cost-effective. Besides that, Decade just isn't a good series to start with, since you've got all those other riders, which I guess since they've never been brought over could be used as one-off characters, except Ryuki was, which is just going to confuse kids.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

I heard Steven Wang, the guy who adapted Kamen Rider Dragon Knight is probably going to adapt Kamen Rider 555 or Kabuto O_O
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Source or GTFO
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

Lunagel wrote:Source or GTFO
the source about steven wang adapting kamen rider 555 or Kabuto is from JEFusion... don't ban me ><
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

1. No link
2. JEFusion has been proven wrong before, they're a good site, but a rumor site nonetheless.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

Lunagel wrote:1. No link
2. JEFusion has been proven wrong before, they're a good site, but a rumor site nonetheless.
http://www.jefusion.com/2011/07/saban-b ... rider.html

Don't they get most of their stuff from HJU?
Last edited by OOOKaiser on Sun Jul 31, 2011 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

If you look at the video where JEFusion's getting this, you'll notice that the question posed to Steve Wang was "Which series would you like to do"

There's a big difference between wanting to do something and actually doing something.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by FangTrigger »

OOOKaiser wrote:I heard Steven Wang, the guy who adapted Kamen Rider Dragon Knight is probably going to adapt Kamen Rider 555 or Kabuto O_O
Considering how Dragon Knight went over in the states (yet did have a good storyline), I kinda have my hopes up. Even though it's supposed to be marketed to kids, Dragon Knight did have many teenage and up viewers that liked the show.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by FangTrigger »

Lunagel wrote:My opinion is that if they're going to start with the Decade/Shinken crossover, there's really not a whole lot to work with. You've got about 2 episodes of footage, which maybe you could turn into a movie, but you'd still end up with having to do a lot of the fight footage yourself, which just isn't cost-effective. Besides that, Decade just isn't a good series to start with, since you've got all those other riders, which I guess since they've never been brought over could be used as one-off characters, except Ryuki was, which is just going to confuse kids.
I agree. If they start somewhere like Kuuga or even Den-O, it'd make more sense. However, I do think that they will be doing heavy editing on series like 555 and Kuuga (blood mostly) because of the awesome violence that often results in death.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

To be honest, I think its just the market in the West. Power Rangers has the name brand associated with it to keep it going, but its nowhere near as strong as it once was. I think times have changed, and the transforming special effects superheroes aren't steamrolling the competition anymore.

I mean lets be honest, no other series that was adapted did well except for PR, especially in that big boom of adaptions in the 90s.

Still, if they did adapt Decade and did the RX world, I'd laugh if they got the guy who played prince Dex to come back. And Ferbus. God how that would be funny.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by FangTrigger »

Catastrophe wrote:To be honest, I think its just the market in the West. Power Rangers has the name brand associated with it to keep it going, but its nowhere near as strong as it once was. I think times have changed, and the transforming special effects superheroes aren't steamrolling the competition anymore.

I mean lets be honest, no other series that was adapted did well except for PR, especially in that big boom of adaptions in the 90s.

Still, if they did adapt Decade and did the RX world, I'd laugh if they got the guy who played prince Dex to come back. And Ferbus. God how that would be funny.
I think they should just release it using subtitles. Easier to understand and do.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I say this in all seriousness and not trying to take jabs at anyone, but that would be much worse. Americans don't like to read when they watch TV. That's the reason why things like the whole Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy is getting remade, because subbed anything fails.
Therm_Kitty
Gabu
Dreamy: Shotaro!

Post by Therm_Kitty »

Unless it's something amazing like Card Captor Sakura, dubs sell better than subs. And straight dubs look like old Hong Kong action flicks to most people. Matching lips or even suit cues is a very tricky thing to do. So shooting a complete new story around the suit action is really the best option, right behind pulling an RPM and just shooting new action too.

More importantly, most Rider shows have the human cast appear during the suit action. The reason Ryuki was chosen before was because of the large cast and the isolated fights. At least Decade has a lot of suit action that can be cut to and the dimension gimmick can be used to save set funds. The others aren't always that lucky. Imagine Double without clients or Kuuga without the police.

In any case, Saban's not who you should be looking at. Power Rangers exists for Bandai. It's only been recently that Transformers has done better in the toy isle than PR. Before, our favourite toku adaptation had a decade-old legacy of profit. Power Rider had to be their idea.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

What I really what to see is they adapt kamen rider 555 and use Kamen Rider Kaixa Break form which was never seen in the series or the form could be fake... but I would still like to see it if steven wang adapts 555. Still not liking the power rider thing..

Return to “Americanized stuff”