Total votes: 83
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Rating Poll: Kamen Rider Kiva

Post by Lunagel »

Knight of L-sama wrote:
Lunagel wrote:It had some good ideas and good concepts but tended to get bogged down by weird shit (wtf was up with the Ikemens again). It's a 2.5 for me but bumping it up to 3 because it was my first KR and also because that fucking guy with the hand puppets cracks me up still.
That's... exactly what I was going to say. Disturbingly exactly. :shock: <Is now worried about Lunagel reading my mind>
Om nom nom L-sama brain so delicious.

I think they were trying to go for the "tortured and tragic" route for Wataru but it ended up being more "socially awkward and shy". However, Otoya is probably one of the best Kamen Rider characters in all the series, so at least Kiva has that going for him. The 70s Kiva was definitely more interesting and better written, modern Kiva was kinda dull and didn't really talk much, especially when transformed.
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

takenoko wrote:I think this and Faiz were probably the indicators that Inoue didn't know how to write interesting stories anymore.
And the nail in the coffin for Inoue is definitely Shougeki Gouraigan....

And somehow I was under the impression that this was Kobayashi's work. With the amount of melodrama in it and all......
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, but Kobayashi doesn't tend to stoop to the crude jerks at tragedy the way Inoue does. It's like the guy doesn't understand human emotion anymore and assumes the way to write drama is to kill off characters in meaningless ways.

>The 70s Kiva was definitely more interesting and better written

It was the 80s! There's so many 80s references in there too!

I double checked, and there were two episodes that weren't written by Inoue. But most of it was straight up Inoue.
yami0204
Gao
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Fourze
Dreamy: Kurenai Wataru
Favorite Actor?: Seto Koji
Favorite Band: EXO
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Kim "Xiumin" Minseok

Post by yami0204 »

I've watched Kiva about 6 times at this point and it's definitely my favorite Kamen Rider series. The plot suffers a lot from various Asian drama tropes, but that also gives it character. It feels more like you're watching a fantasy-horror soap opera, making you become invested in characters as they suffer through the soap opera trope of "pretty people with problems."

I adored Seto Koji as Wataru, and since his work in Kiva, he has become a very admirable actor, being in a ton of amazing drama and movie works. I'm so glad that Kiva was a step away from the stuff he had been doing before, which was your basic idol drama stuff. All of the other characters in Kiva also did an amazing job in the series, even if none of them got the amount of work afterwards that Seto got. A thing that definitely enjoyed while watching Kiva was the incredible roster of solid female characters. I was fun seeing them kick butt. And let's not forget the incredible music of this series! I still continue to blast the CDs from my car with my windows rolled down! AND THOSE SUIT DESIGNS, WOW, SO GOOD!!

I know many people hated the jumping between two timelines, but that was something I enjoyed. You don't often see that in this kind of genre. It's more of a literary device, where each chapter can move fluidly from one time period to the next, so seeing it play out in what is essentially a television show for children was impressive. You could tell they were trying quite hard to make the device work as seamlessly as it would in a book, though the execution left a bit more to be desired.

However, despite some of the glaring problems of the series - and there are a lot of problems with Kiva, don't get me wrong - I went and gave it a 5. I had fun, and even after watching in 6 times over (soon to be 7 times), it still is something I enjoy viewing. It may not be the most solid Kamen Rider series, but it's definitely enjoyable and so pretty to watch.
Keytotruth
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Alignment: Lawful Evil

Post by Keytotruth »

I mainly thought it was pretty cool and the riders are pretty badass, mainly Ixa Rising. As for the plot goes, it starts very interesting but gets kinda boring pretty quick but I still enjoyed it a lot!
So I'll give it a 4 because aside from the plot it had some pretty awesome things.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Gonna give this show a 1.
It was my 2nd Kamen Rider show after Den-O but even then, I could tell some stuff in it was rather stupid. Fast-forward to now when I re-watched 2 episodes because of a Changeman actor.... and man, all the stupid stuff just felt way more blatant.
takenoko wrote:It was the 80s! There's so many 80s references in there too!
I do feel they should've used different cameras or done something vastly different for the 80s segments. Because unless I looked at the sub font,I couldn't even tell the time-frame had changed; everything felt too samey.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

I loved Kiva. Kurenai Otoya is still the greatest Kamen Rider ever. I like that Kamen Rider wasn't afraid to tell a love story. The time travel stuff was weird though.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

The 80s stuff felt really obvious to me. The clothes and the hair (especially Yuri's). The music that played in the background. Romantic ga tomaranai:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4q6_MPyKlw
daigotsukojin
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!

Post by daigotsukojin »

Kiva was actually the first Rider series i started watching. I found that the 2-timeline storytelling was pretty well executed, and Emperor Form is still by far, my favorite final form for a Rider.

It's apparent that there may have been a few hiccups in the story. (My biggest was how Wataru started being Kiva.) but I think it was still a great success.

I'm really glad it was my first!
Kamen Rider Gumo
Faiz
Favorite series: Zyuranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Reiko Chiba
Favorite Actor?: Takaiwa Seiji
Favorite Band: Twisted Sister
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: DragonBall Z
Quote: "Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly - the ill deeds, along with the good - and let me be judged accordingly. The rest...is silence..."
Type: ENTJ Fieldmarshal

Post by Kamen Rider Gumo »

The show had a lot of potential that in some cases wasn't realized. The suits were excellent (Emperor Kiva remaining a personal favorite) and the music blew me away ("Supernova" in particular), but some of the writing I just couldn't get behind. Mainly, Otoya's characterization and his betrayal of Yuri. He had won the heart of a beautiful, kind and caring woman (to the point of getting her to move in with him).....then he's off shagging the Queen of the Fangire. I'm a big believer in loyalty and fidelity, so that entire premise just rubbed me the wrong way from the start and it cast a shadow over the entire series, which probably would have ended up among my Top Three otherwise.

Also, I did NOT need to see THAT much footage of Wataru in a bathtub.....
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas

Post by Alessar »

This was my first simulcast Kamen Rider and I went with a 5. It's really more of a 4 to 4.5 but I love several things about it, such as the ambitious parallel timelines. I agree they pissed away a lot of potential later on and the story bogged down. So many really great actors in this one and so many wonderful moments, even if it didn't all quite come together.
dualvision1984
7X
Favorite series: MagiRanger
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Favorite Band: JAM Project
Quote: The meaning of the journey lies within the journey itself - Eijiro Hikari, Kamen Rider Decade
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by dualvision1984 »

Kiva... Kiva... Kiva or King of the Vampires. This show is one hell of a blast. Even if Inoue san encountered some crunch time in building a love relationship between Wataru and Mio, it still turned out great. I enjoyed all of the episodes especially when Otoya and Wataru teamed up in the past to defeat King/Bat Fangire. For me, I rate it as 5 out of 5.
Fat D
Wanted Pirate
Wanted Pirate
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Fat D »

This love never ends. Kiva was my favorite show when I watched it and still remains my favorite Rider season. Wataru and Nago are equally relatable to me, being the kind of people who are just no fun at parties. I loved Mio as a character as well, and I could totally see myself getting along with her. Maybe not fall in love like Wataru did because I am just not a fall in love kind of guy, but close.
While I did not like IXA's burst mode design, Save and Rising mode are amazing suits. With the Kiva suits, I liked regular Kiva form best, though the others were still great. Both Dark Kiva and Saga were awesome, though Dark Kiva's design did not really fit its other users, Taiga and Otoya. As for Emperor form, I liked it, but it somehow looked like it had some creepy grin to it. And yes, it was spammed near the end. I would have enjoyed seeing the other Fever moves more. But I did not mind the Emperor spam for one single reason:
The music. Supernova ranks among my favorite songs from the entire franchise, and hearing it always made Tension Fortissimo delightful. Not that it was only a single song: Almost every song from the show is a viable competitor. Tetra-Fang really outdid everything before and after, and the character songs and the opening theme were great as well. Really, music is where this series shines brightest, which is fitting given the role it plays in the show's theme, from the Kurenai's violins to Kengo's rocking. Still, Kengo is probably my least favorite of the main characters.
Initially, I thought that would be Otoya. In the early part of the 1986 storyline, I just hated him. Jirou was amazing (my favorite character from the show, Matsuda is amazing), Yuri was great, but that spoony bard who loves to dick around and make a fool of himself... bleh. Still, he grew on me as Maya entered the story, and when he was IXA and Nago went back in time, I started to like him.
Sure, the show had flaws, but I rank it among my favorite shows and as my #1 Rider series. 5/5.
8lackz
It's not even funny
It's not even funny
Quote: Make your Own Hissatsu

"DENSHA-GIRI!"

Post by 8lackz »

i GIve it 5 Stars... Why? this is WHY!

1 star for the concept of two timeline

1 star for good character Development that you can see each character is evolving naturally each episode but you can say that every 10 episodes they are completely different person. (heck even when Wataru Accept that Nago is his Forced Sensei)

1 Star For the The Main Theme. CMIIW but Kiva's main theme is more like europe/medieval theme that really unique and standout from other rider. and SABAN make a complete mistake that they try to reshoot ryuki and not KIVA. i mean kiva theme is relateable to western than.

1 star for Dark Version of Kiva. not yami kiva but fangire-eyed Kiva. (best nega-Main Rider i ever see.)

1 Star for my gateway that reintroduce me to the whole world of Heisei Kamen Rider.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

8lackz wrote:and SABAN make a complete mistake that they try to reshoot ryuki and not KIVA. i mean kiva theme is relateable to western than.
Correction, Saban had nothing to do with Ryuki's "Dragon Knight" show. Adness Entertainment were the ones who filmed and created it (and before anyone else says anything, 4kids only had airing rights to the show).

Return to “Kamen Rider Kiva”