10%
* Marked for death by the King
5%

Total votes: 83
wisdomcat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Rating Poll: Kamen Rider Kiva

Post by wisdomcat »

When I first saw the promo for this and I was cautious about it then I watched the show and saw how amazing it was. The actor who played Wataru played him well I loved his character. The actor who played Otoya did a wonderful job as well. The villians were great. The spider fangire was amusing to watch sometimes then he just got annoying. I'm giving this a 5.

Kiva images
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Re: Rating Poll: Kamen Rider Kiva

Post by Kogashi »

Oooh, there was such promise in this show. The concept of two story lines that reflect each other, following the same family, the character of Otoya, the gothic design of Kiva and Saga. It just... Ran into so many short comings. The two storylines mostly became 'Monster didn't die in the 80s, not resurfaced today'. The fights were not all that creative for the most part. There was so many plot elements that were not explained... The heck was with a time travel door!? And we barely used it!? That should have been the midway series changer. There were so many use once to sell this toy powers, even for a Kamen Rider series. I mean, on the plus side like I said, Otoya was an amazing character. But, much as with Go-Buster, one amazing character can't save a series. I give it points for Otoya, creative suit designs, but that's about it... Then of course there's just how much of a giant vampiric soap opera it turned into near the end. 2 outta 5 for me.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Definitely a great start. Turned to shit later on. Emperor Form spamming was lame. Nice Rider and Monster designs though.
wisdomcat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by wisdomcat »

Catastrophe wrote:Definitely a great start. Turned to shit later on. Emperor Form spamming was lame. Nice Rider and Monster designs though.
I liked the design for emperor form though. It feels like they wanted Emperor form to be Kiva's default form which they did in the rest of the series lmao. We rarely saw Kiva's default form it was mostly emperor.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I know. What I'm saying is it was lame to forget all those other forms. The monster arms barely get used after emperor form. Bassha Fever never gets used!
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

It had some good ideas and good concepts but tended to get bogged down by weird shit (wtf was up with the Ikemens again). It's a 2.5 for me but bumping it up to 3 because it was my first KR and also because that fucking guy with the hand puppets cracks me up still.
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Alignment: Neutral
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

This was the first full KR series that I watched (I started watching Decade first, but it was ongoing at the time). I love Wataru. It had a good cast, but they didn't seem to know what to do with many of the characters. The time split story was novel, though it kind of ended up with the back in time stuff not seeming to matter as much. This was sadly the last KR show that took the time to have the monsters kill innocent people. The show did have a lot of problems, but I still really liked it. I give it a 4.
wisdomcat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by wisdomcat »

Lunagel wrote:It had some good ideas and good concepts but tended to get bogged down by weird shit (wtf was up with the Ikemens again). It's a 2.5 for me but bumping it up to 3 because it was my first KR and also because that fucking guy with the hand puppets cracks me up still.

Creeps me out everytime i see him
envedges
Infinity

Post by envedges »

This is one of the series that the more I think about it, the more I hate it. The story is a complete mess, the characters are unlikable and whiny especially Wataru which I consider him to be the Kamen Rider equivalent of Kira Yamoto, and the soundtrack while decent, loses points because of its sh*tty opening. Overall score: 1.5/5. Easily my least favorite Kamen Rider series.
kyoichikiller90
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: KR Agito/Kabuto
Dreamy: Akiyama Nana
Favorite Actor?: Hongo Kanata
Favorite Band: Maroon 5
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: ONORE DECADE
Quote: Ore wa hitori dake jubun da. Dare mou tomete nai, dare mou jama wa saseru nai. Sa... Omae-tachi kakatte koi yo.
Type: ESTP Promoter

Post by kyoichikiller90 »

It have a potential during Dark Kiva arc. But the climax arc still not as great as I expected. Inoue should make 86's people go in the future in the series. But it didnt happen. It happened in the movie but I didnt see the link between Series n movie like Den-O did. And I dont considered Movie was relevant to the series.. But it did have good ending. No one died in vein.
So 4****. For some funny to serious plotline
megamanx132
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen rider Kiva
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: All those who lay eyes on a Gundam shall not live to tell about it.

Post by megamanx132 »

Honestly I love this series the gothic vibes just hit all the right point for me. Plus I started Kamen Rider with this one, so it close to me on that front. Really the only downside I felt it had was that the monster Arms were not used that often.
xPrimexTimex
Infinity

Post by xPrimexTimex »

I gave Kiva a 5 because it kicks ass.

Now, that doesn't mean I didn't find problems with it, I just really like it. Megumi should have been a full-time Rider. She was too awesome not to be a Rider. Same with Yuri. I liked the two timelines, but they weren't used to their full potential. Some of the monster didn't really tie into the future as much as they did in the past, so it felt that the future side was just MOTW instead of actual story.

I had a love/hate relationship with Kengo, but that was mostly due to the plots they put him in. It just felt unnecessary at times.

Kiva is a series where you get rewarded as you keep watching because you see the characters grow and more mysteries/puzzles get solved along the way. However, if you just look at individual episodes, the series is not as good there.
Knight of L-sama
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Quote: It is a place that dwells in the memory of those who still dream of its ancient glory. A world revered for its beauty, mystery and danger. On a planet of endless adventure such a land is known as El-Hazard. If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million night, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Knight of L-sama »

Lunagel wrote:It had some good ideas and good concepts but tended to get bogged down by weird shit (wtf was up with the Ikemens again). It's a 2.5 for me but bumping it up to 3 because it was my first KR and also because that fucking guy with the hand puppets cracks me up still.
That's... exactly what I was going to say. Disturbingly exactly. :shock: <Is now worried about Lunagel reading my mind>

Looking back (it's been a while) the issues I feel were that the two time-periods didn't always seem to link up thematically, Wataru was a little too withdrawn to be a relatable protagonist and several of the secondary characters' plots seemed to go a little... odd in the middle. I was actually pulled up short at one point (when Kengo was the main user of the IXA knuckle) and took a good long look at Nago and just felt he was not the same character he was at the beginning and the personality shift and his narrative arc just didn't match up.

But at the same time I don't have the same sense of let down that I felt from Wizard, which is why, despite its issues it get's a two and a half from me and a generous round up to three for being my first Kamen Rider series.
Welcome to the Sea of Chaos!
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

Now this is a real headache. It's good, but there's some unanswered questions left from the series that I still can't find. I know why they spammed Emperor form later on, but still don't know who is supposed to be Megumi's father, when did Otoya's relationship with the Queen Fangire turned to become serious, etc. So, only a 3. Decade is not divisive for me (it is straight horrible for me), Kiva is, due to the many unanswered questions.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I think this and Faiz were probably the indicators that Inoue didn't know how to write interesting stories anymore. Well, the 80s stuff was good, but the modern day stuff was terrible. At best, it's probably a 4 star show, but cut in half for all its problems with the story. A 2 for me. Wataru was badly written, he didn't make sense as Kiva, Mio was just a character who dies for his character arc, his reaction to her death is hilarious since he tries to Back to the Future himself out of existence, and his relationship with his brother was too little too late. Also, he has a pet teenager girl take care of him. I'd almost rather watch Nago or Megumi be the main character for the modern storyline.

Someone took the 80s stories and just cut the modern stuff out of them, and I hear people liked that a lot better.

On the flip side, the music for this series was pretty good at least. And we had a lot of fun music videos come out of this series.

Return to “Kamen Rider Kiva”