Anyone else think that KIva is vastly underrated?

They changed the name cause Horse
Orphenoch was threatening to sue
Forum rules
Wiki Link

< The Next | Kiva | Decade >
Xander Blaze
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: W / Kuuga
Dreamy: Tendou Souji
Favorite Actor?: Kikkawa Koji
Favorite Band: Tetra Fang
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: Kamen Rider
Quote: Ultimate

Re: Anyone else think that KIva is vastly underrated?

Post by Xander Blaze »

I presume that you are happy now markoclix?

I like Kiva but I - like most others -had forgotten all about them because all the credit Den-O got.The story was epic and I prefer Otoya better. I think Wataru was the most developed character in heisei rider series. The ending was great but I didn't really get the point in brothers kicking each others b** happily.
天の道を往き、総てを司る!
Ten no michi o Iki, Subete o Tsukasadoru otoko!
Walking the path of heaven, the man who will rule over everything!

Yes, I'm back
Truthfully.
Disappeared since the end of Kamen Rider OOO
markoclix
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Shinkenger

Post by markoclix »

I would say that I am happier now. Kiva is finally getting some of the attention that it deserves. (Slightly Off-topic) However, I have been wondering how a topic ends up on the "active topics" portion of the boards.
Xander Blaze
Kamen Knight

Post by Xander Blaze »

markoclix wrote:I would say that I am happier now. Kiva is finally getting some of the attention that it deserves. (Slightly Off-topic) However, I have been wondering how a topic ends up on the "active topics" portion of the boards.
you mean that active shows? it's only for the show that are currently showing or still had many active thread even after it show ended as far as I know. correct me if I'm wrong.
天の道を往き、総てを司る!

Yes, I'm back
Truthfully.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

That's not what he's talking about. He's referring to "View Active Topics" link above the bar that contains "Board index" etc.. on the left hand side.
Xander Blaze
Kamen Knight

Post by Xander Blaze »

ow, sorry sempai. That is why I quote "correct me if I'm wrong".
I never realized that one before..... :oops:
天の道を往き、総てを司る!

Yes, I'm back
Truthfully.
hush
Dreamy: Kouga Saejima
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by hush »

Oh, how I loved Kiva. Before Kiva, I could take or leave Kamen Rider. After Kiva, Decade nearly convinced me to stop bothering again. W brought back a lot of what I loved in Kiva: character development, blurring of boundaries between sides, strong female characters, and the primary themes of friendship and family.
Spoiler
Ah, there was even a romance between the most annoying female "good side" character and the most prickly male rider. And a happy ending!

Kiva's music is still the best, and Seto Koji's Wataru absolutely perfect. It must be hard to portray a character whose internal conflict is the primary plot, but he always successfully conveyed the emotional dynamic. Perhaps singing nearly all the songs helped in that.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Also, there is no excuse as to why Bassher Fever was NEVER used.

It had a nice blend of humour and seriousness though. If only it was still cool to watch now that Twilight is mainstream. Goddamit.
ShadowX7
NagoSan
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Fourze, P4A/G
Quote: "Misunderstandings happens all the time, more so on the internet."

Post by ShadowX7 »

Yes, Kiva is a great series, I think it's better than Den-O

But near the end, the story just got too weird for me
Nago got demoted to comedic relief (but is fortunately back on action in the final episode)
The whole love triangle thing (not expecting a love drama in Kamen Rider)
Otoya choosing Maya over Yuri when he's been chasing her for half the series (not that I disagree with the pairing, but poor Yuri is left alone)
"You count the medals, one, two, and three! Life goes on, anything goes, coming up OOO!"
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

Kiva is a great series, but so full of plot holes thinking about it makes your head hurt (especially the ages). If your going to try to put any thought into the plot holes and make logic out of them your not going to enjoy the series. Best thing about Kiva is how they can flip back and forth in time and not get watchers confused. It is also amazing to see how something done in the past effects the future.

Otoya is my fav.
ShadowX7
NagoSan
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz
My boom: Fourze, P4A/G
Quote: "Misunderstandings happens all the time, more so on the internet."

Post by ShadowX7 »

DrowningFishy wrote:It is also amazing to see how something done in the past effects the future.
More like seeing something NOT done in the past affecting the future

Seriously, half the enemies Kiva fights in the present is from the past because Otoya and the others didn't manage to finish them off then
"You count the medals, one, two, and three! Life goes on, anything goes, coming up OOO!"
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

DrowningFishy wrote:Kiva is a great series, but so full of plot holes thinking about it makes your head hurt (especially the ages). If your going to try to put any thought into the plot holes and make logic out of them your not going to enjoy the series. Best thing about Kiva is how they can flip back and forth in time and not get watchers confused. It is also amazing to see how something done in the past effects the future.

Otoya is my fav.
At times I've been known as a nitpicker when it comes to glaring plot holes, but on other occasions if I enjoy something immensely, I'm more than willing to gloss over certain things, and I have the feeling that could very well be the case with Kiva. :)
EndlessWaltz24
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger
Dreamy: Hirata Yuka (Mele)
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by EndlessWaltz24 »

I think the problem here, as some others have mentioned before, is that Den-O's popularity just carried over so much, that the following season of Kamen Rider (Kiva) was just vastly overshadowed by it. However, personally, I did enjoy Kiva too, but I was just irked sometimes by Wataru's character. I mean, it's great that he does come out of his shell multiple times throughout the series, but because he does go back in (it felt like it was too often), that it kept making me think "jeez, grow a pair!". Plus, the pump-action emperor sword definitely got a lot of flak here when it was first aired. Overall, though, it was all right.
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

EndlessWaltz24 wrote: of flak here when it was first aired. Overall, though, it was all right.

Be thankful you don't have the candy toy of the sword. 100% more phallic and WRONG. Thankfully kids minds are still so innocent that they will never get what is going on in an adults mind till they get older.
[kuronogantzryu]
Everything is drama!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Dreamy: Mirei Kiritani
Favorite Actor?: Tatsuya Fujiwara

Post by [kuronogantzryu] »

ShadowX7 wrote:Otoya choosing Maya over Yuri when he's been chasing her for half the series.
I really only watched Kiva for this story arc so it was a rather big disappointment in the series for me when Otoya started falling in love with Maya.
ImageImage
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

well, chasing after one person, but then falling for another is rather realistic depending on the situation. I mean, if you're dealing with unrequited love, its only natural that a person would ultimately give up on someone and move on to someone else.

I mean, look at Buffy the Vampire Slayer. the early beginnings had Willow pining away for Xander, but Xander was too much of an idiot to get his head out of his own ass to see it, he lusted after Buffy, he started a relationship with Cordelia, he slept with Faith, he ended up with a socially inept and tactless former demon, and what happened to Willow? she shacked up with a werewolf and then became a lesbian, and lost her because of a stray bullet that was meant to kill Buffy. this crap happens on television and occasionally in real life, its unfair, its ugly, its stupid and disappointing, but it happens.

Return to “Kamen Rider Kiva”