Ranma Released (Release 3100!)

For all those one shots and other miscellany!
Forum rules
Wiki Link
arromdee
Go Go!

Re: Ranma Released (Release 3100!)

Post by arromdee »

Kamen Rider Raven wrote: I wanna say that Ranma was the most popular anime in the States behind Sailor Moon....but Anime was a much different beast back in those days.
I think the most popular anime back then was Dragonball Z.
lonegamer7
Save the life
Favorite series: Transformers
2nd Favorite Series: Mythbusters

Post by lonegamer7 »

Lunagel wrote:Kenshin's been licensed.
Actually, I think Sentai Filmworks only licensed Shin Kyoto-Hen so far, not the live-action movie... Despite being "licensed in 60+ countries", with no domestic release in sight... << >>
Knight of L-sama
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: It is a place that dwells in the memory of those who still dream of its ancient glory. A world revered for its beauty, mystery and danger. On a planet of endless adventure such a land is known as El-Hazard. If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million night, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Knight of L-sama »

arromdee wrote:I think the most popular anime back then was Dragonball Z.
Before then. I remember hearing about Ranma (though not actually seeing, it took a while to find somewhere that had the tapes) back when I was about 10-11, just when I was starting to realise what anime was and this was in Australia which meant it was probably around for a while before then. Dragonball Z didn't come along for another four or five years after that.

Though I'd say that the most popular anime of that era probably would have been Sailor Moon, simply due to greater exposure. Ranma didn't get much play outside the anime fandom (though within the fandom it was pretty damn big).
Welcome to the Sea of Chaos!
jolly_old_saint
Faiz
Favorite series: Gumby
2nd Favorite Series: Dengekibikifaizenger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Re: Ranma Released

Post by jolly_old_saint »

Lunagel wrote: I translated it as "late night visit" but the actual word 夜這い literally means "sneaking into a girl's bedroom at night to make love." You know your culture is perverted when you have a word for that.
The Italians have several words for that, but no words for boy or girl. It all kinda meshes out there.

As a fan, this didn't do much for me. As a nobody, this was an okay special. As Gene Shalit, Ranma's water-based antics are a pour excuse to shower comedy on this otherwise parched drama about transvestites taking the vest part too seriously.
KamenSentaiDigiman
Favorite series: Gokaiger, Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: W, OOO, Busters
Dreamy: Luka from Gokaiger
Favorite Actor?: Yuki Yamada
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Kamen Rider Den-O
Quote: "Always, NEVER GIVE UP!" - Sonar Pocket

Post by KamenSentaiDigiman »

Ok this was a surprise to me. I have not read the manga or seen the anime of Ranma but for me, this was JUST AWESOME!!!!! I want more!!! Great job to all who worked on it!
Coldfission
Infinity
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Post by Coldfission »

Kamen Rider Raven wrote:This makes me feel old. ;-) Though to be honest, I didn't know they did a live action. I wanna say that Ranma was the most popular anime in the States behind Sailor Moon....but Anime was a much different beast back in those days.
I vaguely remember Sailor Moon, since it was on public television when it came out, but I wasn't interested in it. I remember Dragonball the best, since I caught a few episodes here and there at friends' houses before my family got cable. Pokemon definitely made a huge impact for anime in the States.
XxX
7X

Post by XxX »

Lunagel wrote:Kenshin's been licensed.
so sad... the movie is great.
Battra
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultra Seven
2nd Favorite Series: Ultraman Tiga
Dreamy: Sakura Nishihori
Favorite Band: Akira Ifukube
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Ultra Seven

Post by Battra »

This was very good, was wondering how a live action version of Ranma would turn out but it was good. They didn't really play up alot of comedy that's in the anime, also enjoyed they little nodes they made to some of the other charater's.

I just finished watching the anime couple months ago so stuff is fresher in my mind and i'm surprised by some of the choice's they made in making this. Gosunkugi really he's like low 3rd tier or high 4th tier, was he that popular in Japan? I'm surprised they actually had him in this movie considering he didn't really do much. It seemed like they aged Kasumi, Nabiki, Akane, & Ranma up a couple years, or maybe it's just comes off that way since Nabiki is now working as a hostess and they seemed to make her abit less cold hearted. Speaking of personality's Kasumi seems abit less clueless & Tofu didn't seem to act as weird around Kasumi.

Grats on 3100 episodes.
Defeat the Great Fire-Breathing Monster... use your Ultra Beam and... STRIKE!
Demonskid
There are five lights!
There are five lights!
Favorite series: Double/W
2nd Favorite Series: Den-O
Dreamy: Shotaro
Favorite Actor?: Suda Masaki
Favorite Band: Gackt Job
My boom: J-Pop/Rock
Quote: Taotsu kedou ii yone? Kotae wa kitenai!

Post by Demonskid »

I have to say I really enjoyed the live action of Ranma. I loved the anime and read up to vol 7 of the manga.

Even though the Live didn't follow the manga much, it was still really good and funny. They did a good job on making this and I kinda want a sequel!
ImageImageImage
Knight of L-sama
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: It is a place that dwells in the memory of those who still dream of its ancient glory. A world revered for its beauty, mystery and danger. On a planet of endless adventure such a land is known as El-Hazard. If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million night, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Knight of L-sama »

Battra wrote: I just finished watching the anime couple months ago so stuff is fresher in my mind and i'm surprised by some of the choice's they made in making this. Gosunkugi really he's like low 3rd tier or high 4th tier, was he that popular in Japan?
He was introduced sooner in the manga than in the anime which made him more prominent. In the anime Sasuke took over a lot of what Gosunkugi did in the manga, at least for the early part. In that particular case I'd say this was actually being closer to the manga.

Battra wrote: It seemed like they aged Kasumi, Nabiki, Akane, & Ranma up a couple years, or maybe it's just comes off that way since Nabiki is now working as a hostess and they seemed to make her abit less cold hearted.
Nope. Ranma and Akane first year high school students in both anime and manga and since Kuno was still a year above them they were aged up a year at most. Nabiki on the other hand was aged up at least three years. Age of majority in Japan is 20 and these days its illegal to show minors consuming alcohol on Japanese TV, so in the special she's at least 20 and three/four years older than Akane at minimum which has had a knock-on effect of increasing Kasumi's age to compensate. This is opposed to the manga/anime where she was Kuno's classmate.
Welcome to the Sea of Chaos!
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

At least it makes Kasumi less of jail bait for Tofu. Although she always acted like the mother in Ranma anyway, for what little we saw of her.
Coldfission
Infinity

Post by Coldfission »

Lunagel wrote:At least it makes Kasumi less of jail bait for Tofu. Although she always acted like the mother in Ranma anyway, for what little we saw of her.
How old is Tofu supposed to be anyway, and in comparison to Kasumi?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Kasumi is 19 in the manga, Tofu is never given a specific age. We do see a flashback of Akane about age 10-11 and Tofu is already a full doctor by then so probably early 30s?
Coldfission
Infinity

Post by Coldfission »

That ups the creepiness of Tofu a bit.
Miyagishin
Humongous
Favorite series: Den-O
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Suit Actors!
Quote: To overcome the intelligent by folly is contrary to the natural order of things; to overcome the foolish by intelligence is in accord with the natural order. To overcome the intelligent by intelligence, however, is a matter of opportunity.
--Zhuge Liang

Post by Miyagishin »

Congrats on release 3100 TV-Nihon!

This movie was fantastic. The casting was perfect, everyone really fit and played their roles to the finest. I want and need more Ranma live action now! Even Genma's Panda form (costume) is extremely awesome!
Spoiler

Return to “Other Projects”