Ranma Released (Release 3100!)

For all those one shots and other miscellany!
Forum rules
Wiki Link
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Ranma Released (Release 3100!)

Post by ReversedSentai »

This was a nice one-off for our 3100th release. I really enjoyed watching something that didn't involve people wearing costumes to fight for a change.

Also, Aragaki Yui. She's one of my favorite actresses, next to Toda Erika, Horikita Maki, Shida Mirai, Nagasawa Masami, Nakajima Umika, Ichikawa Yui, and Kaho. Whew, that's a lot of favorite actresses! :D

If you didn't know, Aragaki Yui is quite a famous actress. She was in Sh15uya (which we subbed), Koizora the Movie, Gal Circle, My Boss My Hero, Dragon Zakura, Zenkai Girl, and a lot of other JDramas!

Now for the actual release, I enjoyed seeing the idea of gender changing. That was pretty funny, especially when Ranma as a girl acted so snobbish yet manly. I definitely laughed a little when the male Ranma kissed Kunou-sempai by accident. The father turning into a panda was definitely pretty hilarious. In fact, when he was fighting those transvestite troops, I did laugh quite a bit.

The moment when your parents walk in when you're about to kiss.

Edit:
So unfortunately, we didn't have the time/space to provide the staff credits, so here's everyone who contributed to this release:

Translator: Lunagel
Timer: lonegamer7
Typesetter: Phoenix512
Blu-Ray Provider: Cheetah
QCer: ReversedSentai
QCer: Macaroni
QCer: SacredCultivator
QCer: zeta_gundam
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Ranma Released

Post by takenoko »

And just to contextualize it, you have not read the manga or seen the anime, right? I think that's pretty interesting since a lot of people who will be watching this are probably long time fans of Ranma. So your perspective on it is pretty unique.
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

Yup, I haven't seen the anime nor have I read the manga, but it's still a very nice special. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Man, there are a lot less boobs in this than I remember in the manga.

We initially intended to release this months ago, but unfortunately sometimes real life happens and thus it was put into our own version of development hell, but I'm glad it was able to make it out.

The art from the picture show was actual original artwork from the manga, as was all the Jusenkyou art. Plus the names of the springs is a nice in-joke to whoever read it. The drama actually mashes up the plot from volume 1 with like volume 8 or 9 or something, or volume 4, if you have the older version, if you'd like to check out the manga.

Minor translation note I'd like to make, when Ranma went into Akane's room, I translated it as "late night visit" but the actual word 夜這い literally means "sneaking into a girl's bedroom at night to make love." You know your culture is perverted when you have a word for that.

Ranma was one of the first manga I ever picked up, years ago when manga was still flopped and cost 15 dollars a volume. When I initially heard of the live action, I was absolutely thrilled. It honestly doesn't disappoint. The characters are interesting and true to the original source, the action is rather well done, and I absolutely adore Kunou's actor, who is spot-on. Female Ranma in particular is fantastic. I keep seeing pictures of the actress and having to remind myself "oh yeah she's an actual chick in real life"

I still can't believe there are people who haven't seen or heard of Ranma before. When I was in junior high, it was one of the few series I think everyone had read because there just weren't that many translated manga. Oh, the early days of weeaboos.

Also since my use of the term "flopped" seems to have confused some of the yung'uns on staff - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... pped-manga
Masked Rider
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: Shinkenyellow
Favorite Actor?: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Band: Ayumi Hamasaki
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Shadow Kick!!!

Re: Ranma Released (Release 3100!)

Post by Masked Rider »

First and foremost, I want to say, "CONGRATULATIONS!" I've been following TV-Nihon since the days of Kamen Rider 555 and up to your 3,100 release, your staff has done wonders.

And thanks for adding Ranma 1/2 to your list of accomplishments. Loved the manga, loved the TV series, loved the movies, and loved the OVA series. Ever since there was a live action Maison Ikkoku a few years ago, I've been hoping that there would be a Ranma TV show. And here it is!

I've always enjoyed Natsuna Watanabe since Gantz and Daimajin Kanon. So it was fun watching her in a comedic role as the female Ranma.

Now, I can only hope NTV will come out with a second live action show so I can see Shampoo, Ryoga, Mousse, and Ukyo.
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: All Sentai
Dreamy: To many to list!
Favorite Actor?: To many to list
Favorite Band: Van Canto
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: ASIAN GIRLS!
Quote: Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

Jake: "Hit it."

Post by Lunchboxx »

the heck is Ranma? Color me confused over the 3100th release.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

You yung'uns and your Narutos and your One Pieces and your yaois. Take a look and see, it was one of the most popular anime and manga of the 90s and early 2000s.
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander
Quote: Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

Post by Lunchboxx »

um...never liked Naruto, never heard of One Piece, and I dont do yaoi so..... >_>
rubius
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Zi-O
2nd Favorite Series: Lupinranger vs. Patranger
Dreamy: Patren Sango/Magine
Favorite Actor?: N/A
Favorite Band: Rider Girls/Chips

Post by rubius »

dear god help us.
Finished Shows
Kamen Rider:Heisei Riders - Saber
Super Sentai: From Zyuranger to Kiramager
Other: Justirizer, Rescue Force/Fire

Haven't watched a Tokusatsu I didn't like :mrgreen:
shadowneko003
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Abaranger
Favorite Band: Cascada
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Her boyfriend's a pilot

Post by shadowneko003 »

Never heard of One Piece?! =O One Piece is one of the Big 3 of Jump, along with Naruto and Bleach.

Ranma 1/2 was one of the popular and beginning manga in the 90s.

I was familiar with Ranma watching like 3 episodes of the anime and a read like 2 volumes before watching the live action last year. I didn't actually read the manga until like last month when I gorged on it. XD

@Lunagel: Oh flopped manga; how I don't miss you. I was like "Am I reading the in the right direction?" at various points. XD

Needless to say, this was very enjoyable and hilarious special, and I'll be watching again. I wished they would have made a TV series or even a sequel to this.

Anyways, congrats on the staff on 3100!
LJ Blogger
Do not PM me about DDL links. Please report them here in the correct forum

YES, we know our DDL links are dead! READ THIS.
lonegamer7
Save the life
Favorite series: Transformers
2nd Favorite Series: Mythbusters

Post by lonegamer7 »

I normally don't do timing (as I tend to go back and start nitpicking each and every line, which takes me FOREVER), but I had fun timing this special. :D

While I was never a fan of Ranma (something about the... silliness), I had read enough to get most of the references, even scouted a few sites for a manga refresher. Ah, the days of mirrored manga... "Hey, waitamin... If this is manga, why is it rever- *reads end notes* Oh."
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander

Post by Lunchboxx »

Never heard of One Piece?! =O One Piece is one of the Big 3 of Jump, along with Naruto and Bleach.
Guess it's a bad time to say I never heard of Bleach neither....
WoodBetweenWorlds
Go Go!
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger, Kiva
Favorite Band: Relient K
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Big Hero 6
Quote: "So, physics! Physics, eh? Physics! Phyyyysics! I hope you're all getting this down!" - The Doctor

Post by WoodBetweenWorlds »

Oh wow, I had no idea you guys were doing this! I'm so excited, I've really wanted to see this! Talk about startin' the year off right!
Check out my Tumblr where I review shows that I watch and talk about other random nonsense!

http://codenamewaffle.tumblr.com/
TNT
7X

Post by TNT »

I know Ranma, but I've never seen a Ranma ep before. So ssince reversesentai likes it, ill give it a try as well.

Congratulations on your 3100 releases. Considering I only started half way through Kabuto I think I missed quite l lot. :)
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander

Post by Lunchboxx »

Got around to watching it.

While I have never heard of it before, I still enjoyed the movie alot. I laughed a bunch of times throughout the thing. Make's me wanna look up the anime sometime. (I'm gonna have to skip the manga seeing as how I cannot read Japanese, unless somebody can provide english translated issues.)

I gotta get my sister to watch this with me later. Ninja Transvestites will be sold on her right away.

Also Natsuna Watanabe is now on my list.

Return to “Other Projects”