Ranma Released (Release 3100!)

For all those one shots and other miscellany!
Forum rules
Wiki Link
Tomos
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Languages/singing

Re: Ranma Released

Post by Tomos »

Lunagel wrote:Oh, the early days of weeaboos.
Um,no,we are not using the w word here I don't think. I thought it was good. The part where Ranma went in Akane's room annoyed me in the anime but in the live action it didn't for some reason.

I enjoyed what I've seen of the anime but it did have things that got on my nerves. It's actually on the long list of anime I've started but never finished.

I like Maki Nishiyama so I was glad she was in it.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: Ranma Released (Release 3100!)

Post by Lunagel »

Lunchboxx wrote:(I'm gonna have to skip the manga seeing as how I cannot read Japanese, unless somebody can provide english translated issues.)
All of it has been licensed and released in English, take a look at your local bookstore.
Knight of L-sama
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: It is a place that dwells in the memory of those who still dream of its ancient glory. A world revered for its beauty, mystery and danger. On a planet of endless adventure such a land is known as El-Hazard. If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million night, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Knight of L-sama »

Lunchboxx wrote:the heck is Ranma? Color me confused over the 3100th release.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

You young whipper-snappers get off my lawn!

Ah, that took me back... quite literally too.

While fun what kept really yanking me around was that I recognised most of those story lines from the first volume of the manga and the first season of the anime. Running them all together with a pretense of an over-arching plot felt odd. Especially considering the changes they did make, like having Akane's haircut at Kuno's mansion because of an attack by the Razor Ramon wannabes (speaking of which, how did they get past the damn crocodile?) as opposed to during Ranma's first fight with Ryouga.

Speaking of which, the pig shaped door sign and pig plushie in Akane's room were nice touches, even if they weren't going to have the Eternally Lost Boy show up.

Some of the decisions were just... odd though. Giving Ranma the Mokou Takabisha so early (and having Genma and Soun have access to it as well) was odd, especially since it was the last acquired and one of the least used of his techniques. I can't imagine the Amiguriken or the Hiryuu Shoten Ha would have been that much more expensive to add in as FX (or Soun's Demon Head).

Similarly having Tofuu as another member of the Anything Goes School (to use the old Viz translation) seemed forced, at least for those of us who remember the original. He did plenty fine as an ordinary martial artist in the manga. Ditto for mentioning other Masters of the Anything Goes, especially since they never showed up and in the manga there were only five practitioners of the school (Genma, Soun, Ranma, Akane and.... Happousai).

As for everything else... I can understand why Cologne and Happousai never showed up for practical reasons, but I still would have like to have seen Mousse, Shampoo and Royuga. Kinda glad Kodachi didn't show up though. Saved my ears from bleeding. And I kinda found the whole 'okama' thing as enemies kinda ironic considering that's Pantyhose Tarou's favourite insult for Ranma.
Welcome to the Sea of Chaos!
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

I agree, the Mouko Takabisha was a bit odd to use this early but it was probably easiest to do the effects for. And yeah, while I would've loved to see Ryouga, they did put in some nice callbacks to the manga with the spring of drowned duck, black pig and cat at the beginning.

Keeping in mind they had to cobble together two of the early stories while sticking to the very early characters and then adding their own touches, I think it was a very good one-shot, and I would definitely like to see more.

Akane's extensions look horrible in HD though, yeesh guys.
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

Lunchboxx wrote: Also Natsuna Watanabe is now on my list.
Then you should take a look at DaiMajin Kanon. Funny thing is that I just started watching it myself and I immediately recognized her from Ranma.
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: All Sentai
Dreamy: To many to list!
Favorite Actor?: To many to list
Favorite Band: Van Canto
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: ASIAN GIRLS!
Quote: Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

Jake: "Hit it."

Post by Lunchboxx »

ReversedSentai wrote:
Lunchboxx wrote: Also Natsuna Watanabe is now on my list.
Then you should take a look at DaiMajin Kanon. Funny thing is that I just started watching it myself and I immediately recognized her from Ranma.
Duly noted, I'll check it out sometime.
Lunagel wrote:All of it has been licensed and released in English, take a look at your local bookstore.
Next time I get some money I'll check them out.
shadowneko003
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Abaranger
Favorite Band: Cascada
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Her boyfriend's a pilot

Post by shadowneko003 »

Lunagel wrote:
Lunchboxx wrote:(I'm gonna have to skip the manga seeing as how I cannot read Japanese, unless somebody can provide english translated issues.)
All of it has been licensed and released in English, take a look at your local bookstore.
Or even your local library. That's how I read it. =D
LJ Blogger
Do not PM me about DDL links. Please report them here in the correct forum

YES, we know our DDL links are dead! READ THIS.
squashy
Gabu
Dreamy: Koyomi-tan~
Favorite Actor?: Takamasa Suga
Favorite Band: Fall Out Boy
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Chokushi no Magan
Quote: I'm full of motivation!

Post by squashy »

Oh lord thanks TVN, this is like, ... oh lord (; _____;)

I smiled, then recalling the old day reading Ranma, I cried. In my heart. Still counts.

So anyway thank you so much for subbing this wonderful live action, Imma payin the local manga rental a small visit.
Image RIDER HEADBUTT!!!
Kamen Rider Raven
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: Double
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Shotaro
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Kamen Rider Raven »

Lunchboxx wrote:the heck is Ranma? Color me confused over the 3100th release.
This makes me feel old. ;-) Though to be honest, I didn't know they did a live action. I wanna say that Ranma was the most popular anime in the States behind Sailor Moon....but Anime was a much different beast back in those days.
lonegamer7
Save the life
Favorite series: Transformers
2nd Favorite Series: Mythbusters

Post by lonegamer7 »

A few things I have to note is that there were a few changes here and there from the original broadcast version. For instance, during the part where Kasumi pours hot water onto a KOed Ranma-chan to test out whether the change to Ranma-kun is real, the broadcast version had a "good kids, please don't try this at home" warning. Some scenes were extended on the DVD/BD version, and the opening scene with the narrator was added in on the home release.
gh0stwrit3r
Kamen Knight
My boom: Grounded

Post by gh0stwrit3r »

Man the 'what's Ranma' posts make me feel old. :/

Happy New Year, TVN. ^_^
XxX
7X

Post by XxX »

would love if admin can do Rurouni Kenshin live action too. so far i love renma.
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

Kenshin's been licensed.
MICROmor
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by MICROmor »

Ibuki is a transvestite! I KNEW IT!!!
Knight of L-sama
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: It is a place that dwells in the memory of those who still dream of its ancient glory. A world revered for its beauty, mystery and danger. On a planet of endless adventure such a land is known as El-Hazard. If your spirit has wings to travel, even across the breadth of a thousand, million night, imagination will guide the way and the gates of El-Hazard will always be open to you.
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Knight of L-sama »

XxX wrote:would love if admin can do Rurouni Kenshin live action too.
Actually I think that the live-action Kenshin movie has already been licensed in quite a few places outside Japan. I'm not sure if the one that Madman Entertainment is releasing in Australia in March is that or the Shin Kyoto-hen OAV.
Welcome to the Sea of Chaos!

Return to “Other Projects”