Space Sheriff Gavan the Movie

For all those one shots and other miscellany!
Forum rules
Wiki Link
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Space Sheriff Gavan the Movie

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Space_Sher ... _the_Movie

I have to say that I appreciated the slightly more serious tone that Toei took with this movie. It felt like the story was more fleshed out, compared to the rush from action scene to action scene that other movies seem to take. In particular, I liked the story of the three main characters and their relationships between them...

...even though it's obvious that Touya Tooya is totally evil. But despite that hamfistedness, and some crammed in levity, I feel like the movie was pretty good overall.

Personally, I would have cut the Makuu Dimension scene. It had some funny moments, but it was a big distraction from the main story. Don't you have a girl that you need saving, Geki?

So why was Tooya's pendant on Earth again? That was... random... I mean, they don't even justify it in any way. Did Witch Kiru drop it? Was it blown back to Earth from Mars? I mean, seriously, how the fuck did that get there? I guess Itsuki needed to find it because of dumb redemption at the end or some bullshit.
Edit: Wouldn't it have made more sense for Itsuki to find the pendant before stumbling upon Brighton? At least Tooya was in that place unlike the other one.

But seriously, I'm glad they brought back Tooya so that they could have a sad moment with him at the end. It was a good moment, plus it let Geki make up for not being able to hold on to him last time.
Magenta
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Boukenger
Dreamy: Nozama
Favorite Actor?: Takehito Koyasu
Favorite Band: 765 Productions
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Robots. Always.

Re: Space Sheriff Gavan the Movie

Post by Magenta »

I microwaved my cat...

FOR SPACE!
ima sugu shutsudoukable
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I remembered thinking this as I was watching the movie, man, it sure seems like Geki is following the Ultraman storyline. Isn't this exactly what happens in the first episode of Ultraman Towards the Future? They're on Mars, they get separated. One guy becomes a silver space man, the other becomes the villain.

Maybe you should have written back to your girlfriend on Earth instead of space training for a year, Geki.

I mean, if I have to nitpick, I guess the dynamics between the characters are pretty shallow. You know they're friends because they laugh once while drinking water, because that's what friends do. Itsuki is obviously the thing that they fight over, and Itsuki never really says whether she prefers Geki or Tooya. So they fight over her, as men are wont to do. Thankfully, this stuff isn't bad enough that it ruins the story, but it's there in the back of my mind when I'm watching.

Also, when your ugly coworker touches your shoulder, you should slap it away. That jerk, trying to comfort you over your dead friends! Good thing he dies horribly a scene later.

Another dumb thing was the scene where it's the "It's time for Itsuki to get kidnapped to progress the story" part. Couldn't they have attacked the ship and kidnapped Itsuki while Geki was away instead of her just putting herself in danger for no reason?

I was really hoping that Satonaka was the space secretary, but I guess not. It would have pleased me if there was a Date/Satonaka reunion in this movie.

I'm glad that at the end, the space police realized that it would be stupid to trust the fate of the universe to this one untested cop. You get Space Sheriffs up the wazoo showing up to help out. Come to think of it, without the Makuu Dimension, Geki and Retsu would really have no scenes together. Geki? Retsu? Gou? Oh yeah, the writer for this worked on GekiRanger. Was that obvious?
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

To me...the movie was good. Then I think back on it....it was actually not that great all together.

None of the characters felt fleshed out to me and I got really annoyed with all the flashbacks. It felt like it was trying to be a TV series instead of a movie. After the first two I almost knew when the next Flashback was going to happen.

This movie seems to want to take elements from a lot of Toku shows. As you mentioned, Ultraman. They pointed out Amanogawa from Fourze in the same scene that was almost shot for shot Go-Busters.

The Makuu Dimension was silly and probably used to keep people awake after what we thought was the last flashback.

Don Horror didn't need to be in it. It looked like they took the sprite of Ganon of the Zelda 2 Gameover screen and put it there.

The transformed fight scenes followed the same format. Some Sword Fighting + A random jumping side flip + An Interruption + Finishing Slash attack.

Geki looked like he belonged in a special school every time he tried to make a joke. Oh and the 'Geki!' 'HUH?' with the progressively louder 'HUH?' got really annoying, really fast.

Why does it have to be Itsuki that had to be the woman? I mean is it because Tooya wanted to put his overcompensating sword in her wormhole?

The Tooya death scene was supposed to be moving. However it was ruined with the 'Geki! 'HUUUUUUUUUNGH?!?!'

I will compare this movie to a bottle of Jones soda. It tastes good when you have your first drink of it, however near the end of the bottle it all tastes blah.
the_imposter
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuranger
Favorite Band: Casting Crowns
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Maths
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by the_imposter »

Having not watched much Gavan I don't really know if I'm that justified in my opinions but either way here goes. I thought the movie was OK but no better than that really, the fight scenes were fairly standard and the plot in a similar manner, I liked some of the character interactions and there were quite a few good scenes but the whole thing was just distinctly average and felt quite old hat. It didn't succumb to the problem I've had with some of the Rider movies whereby if I haven't seen the series I don't understand the movie which I guess is good for newcomers but is this supposed to be a set up for a newly revived series? That's kind of what the end felt like I guess and it sort of robbed the movie of a conclusion which was a disappointment.
Insert Witty Quote Here
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Where is all the music? There were several fight scenes and other dramatic scenes that were completely silent except for dialogue and sound effects. Music is necessary to draw out the emotions of the viewer and to accentuate the action. Why is there such a lack of music in this movie? It's really a huge omission.

LOL ALL THE LIGHTS WENT OUT BUT MY COMPUTER STAYED ON, THAT IS TOTALLY HOW AN UNINTERRUPTABLE POWER SUPPLY WORKS RIGHT?

START THE CAR AND GET OUT OF THERE YOU HAD LIKE A WHOLE MINUTE TO GET A HEAD START AND OH MY GOD ARE YOU SERIOUSLY RUNNING AWAY ON FOOT YOU DUMBASS I HOPE YOU DIE.

The shiny suit is all well and good, but in HD there's such a clear difference between the fighting suit and the posing suit it's kinda jarring.

Why is the secretary wearing hotpants? Why am I questioning this?

Those are the most ridiculous shoes I've ever seen. What is this, an evil organization for clowns?

Itsuki's taking this all remarkably well. I would have had, well, questions. Such as "Why didn't you call?", "What the hell is going on?", "Why didn't you contact me?", "When did you become a space sheriff", and possibly "YOU ASSHOLE WHY COULDN'T YOU PICK UP THE SPACE PHONE ONE TIME THIS WHOLE FUCKING YEAR TO TELL ME YOU WEREN'T DEAD." And don't tell me he couldn't because of orders, we clearly see that he contacts her with no permission or warning from the Director, so if he don't give a fuck, why hasn't Geki contacted her before this?

Geki, in what universe is Shelly's outfit okay for undercover snooping? Are you high?

Why would you start by trying to send a cat? Start small! Send an ant or a cockroach or something!

The Makuu cannon fodder only get ninja outfits and hair color? What a ripoff, I'd go work for Shocker.

OMG KENJI OHBA THE MOVIE CAN START NOW.

I would totally be okay with old Gavan finishing up the movie and new Gavan sitting out on the sidelines. I'm sure I'm not supposed to feel like that but I do.

Oh. No. Tooya was actually the bad guy all along. I totally didn't see that coming. What a twist. </sarcasm>

Well those restraints weren't tied very tight. You really just didn't feel like struggling at all, did you Itsuki? I have a real problem with her, she's just so much extra baggage. Her part could be played by an excitable dog as long as it didn't start to pee on everything. I'm all for giving the hero a love interest, but at least make her interesting and relatable, not the generic backstory/exposition/mcguffin person.

Yeah, sorry, can't feel anything for Tooya. Most of the time he was a jerk and a bit of a prick, and there really wasn't enough characterization for me to think of him as anything more than the generic villain. I can't even feel sorry for Geki or Fluffers there either since neither of them got too much backstory either. Honestly, the most interesting people in this movie were Shaidar, Sharivan and original Gavan, and they had like 10 minutes total.

I'm glad I watched it but I'm more glad I didn't pay 1800 yen to see it in theaters.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Witch Kiru looked like she belongs in Kyouryuuger with that white mask on her headdress.

Biggest fake out for me - given how creepy he was around Itsuki, I thought that guy at the beginning was a villain or (when his reflection doesn’t move) that he’s going to be possessed or something. Nope, he just gets killed.

It was a fun way to pass an hour-or-so of time, but nothing spectacular. It was at least more enjoyable than the two episodes of Go-Busters that I pretend don’t exist. Like a lot of the earlier comments, I have very little exposure to Metal Hero anything, so there were a bunch of points that felt like references to past works, but I couldn’t enjoy them because I had no frame of reference.

The Makuu Dimension part confused me, though. When did Geki and original Gavan get out of it? They kept falling into the red hole, and then all of a sudden Kotoha was there. Did Lizard Doubler just drop them back in the real world after he boasted he was three times stronger in the Dimension?
Yaiba
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger, Magiranger, Shinkenger, Kyouryuuger, Kuuga

Post by Yaiba »

I'd have prefer Kenji Ohba personally trained Geki and pass the mantle to Geki, rather than having him randomly pop up in the middle of the movie and acted like they've known each other for a long time. There is no reason for Geki to be assigned the "Gavan" suit and codename if the original Gavan is still pretty much active as a special agent.

That said, I was real happy when Kenji Ohba finally busted in with the car

So before entering the Makuu Dimension, they tell Shelly to run for it. Four minutes later exiting the Makuu Dimension, they tell Shelly to run for it. So why is she even there?

Still, it was still quite an enjoyable movie, better that a lot of plot-less action movies

Side note, I was half expecting Sharivan and Shaidar to transform into GekiViolet and Birth
Last edited by Yaiba on Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I might be wrong about this, but I think the term special duty (tokumu 特務) is used for guys who are called in on occasion, not regular duty officers. So it's probably reasonable to assume that old Gavan is around, but maybe not doing the same job on a regular basis the way he was in his prime.

I kind of thought about this as I was translating it. I think the police knew that Tooya was the new Makuu guy. So by offering Geki the chance to be a space sheriff, they're giving him a chance to deal with his former friend.

But I guess Geki doesn't know that Tooya was the villain, so the whole thing ended up as one big coincidence anyway? It's Toei, I guess I shouldn't be scrutinizing the plot too much.
zeta_gundam
Save the life
My boom: Drawing

Post by zeta_gundam »

Magenta wrote:I microwaved my cat...

FOR SPACE!
XD
Lunagel wrote:LOL ALL THE LIGHTS WENT OUT BUT MY COMPUTER STAYED ON, THAT IS TOTALLY HOW AN UNINTERRUPTABLE POWER SUPPLY WORKS RIGHT?
Because these days, the internet is more important than anything else!!

I liked the movie in general. But was it meant to be a dark movie for adults? There was like fake blood, and the ending wasn't the happiest with Tooya dying. (I would presume it's targeted at the older generation since the Metal Heroes Series has been off the air for quite some time now.) What was the rating of it in Japan when it was screening? PG-13?

My only complaint: not enough Ohba Kenji screen-time. =/
DekaBreak
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Favorite Actor?: Sumi Tomomi Jiena
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Japanese Language
Quote: If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

Post by DekaBreak »

I didn't watch this yet, But I'm strongly inclined to grab this just for KOTOHA. I don't care who she is in this - she's ShinkenYellow, Hanaori Kotoha, and that's all I need. Any Shinkenger will immediately get my attention, because the six of them won my heart back in 2009/2010.
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

FYI, the wrong Wiki link is on the front page. It's linking to Gokaiger vs. Gavan, rather than Gavan the Movie.

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kaizoku_Se ... _The_Movie

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Space_Sher ... _the_Movie
Barim
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: SS: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: KR: Ryuki
Favorite Band: Queen

Post by Barim »

Only seen the live music video with it yet so far, but one thing has me confused now.

Is it pronounced gyavan or gavan? I think Akira sings "ga", but the kana and subs say "giya/gya".
Spoiler
Once the Heron to set his path,
Twice the Heron to name him true,
Once the Dragon for remembrance lost,
Twice the Dragon for the price he must pay.
maybetoby
Adventure
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Dreamy: Yuriko Shiratori
Favorite Actor?: Masahiro Inoue
Favorite Band: Thousand Foot Krutch
My boom: Gokaiger

Post by maybetoby »

Magenta wrote:I microwaved my cat...

FOR SPACE!
Best quote ever! I liked the darker tone, it was a nice change of pace. And as always, thanks for putting this out. I know you kinda went out of your way with this one. No rest for the wicked.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I liked the movie overall but I didn't like Dorugilan fighting the bland space fighters. They made Brighton's ship with very nice CGI but Dorugilan looks like complete crap. That maybe from the 80s but I wouldn't mind if they redesigned Dorugilan into something a bit more modern. It's clearly that the Gavan suits meant to look best in night time or dark scenery since they don't look so good in pure daylight. Apparently the silliness in the Makuu Dimension was quite common in the original series but again they could have keep the Makuu Dimension part but without the huge swords and rolling rock parts.

I felt that the original Gavan had the right amount of screen time. It's not Old Gavan's movie but the new Gavan's movie.

One more thing, Shelly must taking advice from Youko on how to dress.

Return to “Other Projects”