Rurouni Kenshin Released

For all those one shots and other miscellany!
Forum rules
Wiki Link
Arawynn
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Garo, KR Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Dekaranger, Gokaiger
Dreamy: Kouga, Tetsu
Alignment: Neutral Good

Re: Rurouni Kenshin Released

Post by Arawynn »

This movie was SPLENDID! Now I'm on youtube looking for more Rorouni Kenshin i.e subbed anime. I hope there will be a sequel to this movie in the future. Satou Takeru is seriously hot.
KR - Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-o, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze Sentai - Dai, Time, Gao, Hurrican, Aba, Deka, Magi, Bouken, Geki, Go-on, Shinken, Gosei, Gokai, Gobust Other: Garo, Garo: Makai Senki
Wild Goose
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

Post by Wild Goose »

Y'know, if the movie does well enough, I'm not opposed to a live action Kenshin series; one movie every couple of years covering a distilled adaptation of the main arcs.

If there is a god, please let there be a Kyoto Arc movie.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Post by FangTrigger »

I really liked this movie. The whole time I was watching, I was on the edge of my seat. Everything was well done and even better written than I expected.

I think my favorite scene was the break during the fight.

However, my problem wasn't with the film, but the subtitles. Nothing was wrong with the translation, but the font used just didn't fit. I get what the typesetter was going for, and I know that it's a pain to get everything lined up, but the font seemed more like something that should've been used for an evil character(s). It threw me off because it made everyone seem sinister.
Klanoyt
Mega
Favorite series: Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: All Kamen Riders
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Klanoyt »

I've been stalking the forums for quite a while and downloading KR stuff for me and my 2-year old and this release successfully tempted me to create a forum account. :p

Thank you for finally deciding to release your own subbed version. What I did after the first time I saw it on the main page was scan for my old copy and [shift]+[delete] lol. The music video was a bonus. But I still don't like Sanosuke in this movie. I was expecting more from his appearance... seriously.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Really? What didn't you like about Sanosuke, besides the fact that he just kind of shows up at the end for the final brawl? Like I said in my first post, it's been forever since I saw the anime, so I've probably forgotten a lot of the details.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

FangTrigger wrote: Nothing was wrong with the translation, but the font used just didn't fit. I get what the typesetter was going for, and I know that it's a pain to get everything lined up, but the font seemed more like something that should've been used for an evil character(s). It threw me off because it made everyone seem sinister.
It wasn't my first choice for a font. I wanted the font you see with the opening narration but everyone else said it made it too hard to read comfortably.
kirifuda
Kamen Rider Club
Kamen Rider Club
Favorite series: super sentai
2nd Favorite Series: kamen rider
Dreamy: momotaros
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Quote: i'm gonna tear down my barriers with my own hands

Post by kirifuda »

I will have to say that the very first thing I liked about this movie is how dirty it is. You can see the wear and tear on the kimonos and hakama, the sweat marks and stains from everything they do. It felt more real to see how everything just looked like it belonged on people who didn't have washing machines to scrub everything every day and had to wear the same clothes more often than not. Aside from that I just loved the overall grit to it. Most adaptations of anything look so clean and crisp, like the characters constantly go to the beauty salon or something, so to watch a movie where you wanna shove someone in the bath every six minutes was actually a welcome relief.

Satoh Takeru as Kenshin is amazing. His voice just...well, to be honest any voice other than a female for Kenshin is a vast improvement. I couldn't really get over the dead look in his eyes as he was Battousai or the moments where, even as Kenshin, he seemed to just melt out and become nothing. The hair on him actually looked natural russet enough that it didn't seem out of place. Listening to him say "orororo" has made me want to find a way to get that as my message tone on my phone. It can go along with my Ryoutarou "henshin!" cry.

( Sadly other than KR Skull-san turned Udou Jine I do not know much of the cast so my only thoughts on them were that they kept me amused? Yahiko, in spite of (?) being a child actor, was pretty cute. Normally I dislike children actors in anything with a passion but he played it well. )

I will say Kanryuu's teeth and bottom lip bothered me for some odd reason - was it artistic direction to make him look like a grouper fish or angler fish on purpose? Also why was there a rabbit/bunny in a random place in his office? It was cute but....curious?

The soundtrack to this movie is just breathtaking. I'll be looking into getting it as soon as I can because everything about it just adds.

.....and at the risk of rambling on I'll end my thoughts here. Usually I don't like live action adaptations of things, be them anime or manga (or both) but in the case of RK it was something amazing.

PS: I liked the font? It sort of gave it a mysterious feel to me, like we were talking about something that only should have been whispered and not said aloud. Or else like....I just really enjoyed the movie and could have cared less if they'd used comic sans MS as the font grade.

Thanks Luna for doing this! You and your team are rock steady =|
Klanoyt
Mega
Favorite series: Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: All Kamen Riders
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Klanoyt »

takenoko wrote:Really? What didn't you like about Sanosuke, besides the fact that he just kind of shows up at the end for the final brawl? Like I said in my first post, it's been forever since I saw the anime, so I've probably forgotten a lot of the details.
Nothing serious really. Just the actor himself lol. My wife and I agreed that the Sanosuke from the animation looked better than what we have in the live action (like comparing Kenshin to Takeru Satoh crossover which I guess everyone agrees as a perfect choice in looks.) But still, the time-out scenario they had in the kitchen was hilarious.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Ah okay, I was just curious really. Guess I'm used to everyone being 20% more attractive than they need to be in the live action movies. It's just how things are done nowadays.
dekamaster
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: magiranger
My boom: sentai/kamen rider

Post by dekamaster »

I absolutely loved the movie, it all just went so perfectly with even jine claiming to use the kamyiakasshin style since kanryu wanted to buy her dojo and him claiming that style was scaring off students. Sanosuke's fight stopping suddenly as they enjoyed a snack was hilarious cause it left you thinking until they were done that he was aiming for a sneak attack.

but in the end there was just one thing I didn't like about this movie and that was how much attacking Kenshin did with his arms and legs when in the anime and manga it was well known that he could only fight with a sword and would even revert to using a sheath as a sword before his hands and feet. I mean him running around and dodging was fine to me since he was all about speed, but him kicking peoples legs out and such is another story because in the manga his own teacher specifically said Kenshin only knows how to fight with a sword and that was his big weakness.

also wish we could of seen the goutotsu get used on somebody but that ones just a fan thing.
series I've watched

sentai:Live,Dai,deka,magi,geki,go on,shinken,gosei,gokai,go busters

kamen rider:ZX,ryuki,Decade,W,OOO,fourze
lonegamer7
Save the life
Favorite series: Transformers
2nd Favorite Series: Mythbusters

Post by lonegamer7 »

dekamaster wrote:but in the end there was just one thing I didn't like about this movie and that was how much attacking Kenshin did with his arms and legs when in the anime and manga it was well known that he could only fight with a sword and would even revert to using a sheath as a sword before his hands and feet. I mean him running around and dodging was fine to me since he was all about speed, but him kicking peoples legs out and such is another story because in the manga his own teacher specifically said Kenshin only knows how to fight with a sword and that was his big weakness.

also wish we could of seen the goutotsu get used on somebody but that ones just a fan thing.
Kenshin being able to do hand-to-hand combat makes sense here because realistically speaking, a swordsman might lose his sword, so being able to fight with hands and feet is pragmatic. Using just his sheath could work, but the range - ma-ai, to use a kendo term - is shorter than that of a katana/bokutou. Just because Kenshin only knows how to fight with a sword in the manga doesn't necessarily mean that they have to apply it here. For instance, do you see Sano with his fishbone here? Nope.

And Saitou did use his Gatotsu Nishiki on Kanryuu, albeit indirectly.
Kumacchi
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Favorite series: Ryuki
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Quote: Believe in yourself.

Post by Kumacchi »

First I want to say that I really love this movie and when I saw that TVN was subbing it, I was absolutely ecstatic. Same as everyone else, as soon as I saw it released on the main page, I shift-deleted my old copies (which I edited the external subtitles of, mercilessly) and jumped at TVN's 1080p version.

I have yet to get through the whole movie again. Might do that over the weekend, though I was already pretty happy with what I did see.

On the flip side, I don't normally complain about font choice (most of the time, I'm pretty happy with it), but I actually found the font kind of distracting this time...? Any special reasons why this one was chosen? I might get used to it eventually, though, since it might just be a first impression kind of thing. I'll let you know when I've watched it again properly.

Oh and to the one asking about the bunny in Kanryuu's office, as far as I know, having a pet rabbit during those times was a sign of being filthy rich? Someone confirm for me...
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It's cool that all of you guys are happy about our release. Thanks a lot for the compliments.

The font choice was something disputed among the staff. It wasn't the initial choice, which many qcers found to be even more stylized and harder to read. I don't think I actually saw the final font choice, so our apologies if it comes off as distracting. We were trying to find something that felt fitting with the oldey old times of Meiji era Japan. So it because a tug of war between stylized and readability.

I didn't really read anything into the bunny thing. I just figured the guys liked bunnies. Just an example of a man who has all the money to do whatever he wanted, so he basically does it.

I also wished that Hajime used his special move on someone.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Kumacchi wrote: Any special reasons why this one was chosen? I might get used to it eventually, though, since it might just be a first impression kind of thing. I'll let you know when I've watched it again properly.
Like takenoko said, it wasn't the first choice. It actually wasn't even my second choice. But in this case, a simpler font just didn't fit the ambiance of the movie. When I tried some different fonts, they just clashed with the ambiance and ended up distracting me more. It's definitely more stylized than we normally do, but this show is a bit more stylized than we normally do to XD
Kumacchi
I am the new #2
I am the new #2
Favorite series: Ryuki
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Quote: Believe in yourself.

Post by Kumacchi »

Alright that sounds reasonable enough, actually. Thanks for answering real quickly, in fact. It'll probably grow on me as I get through the movie. Still happy you guys did this so thanks again :D

Return to “Other Projects”