Rurouni Kenshin Released

For all those one shots and other miscellany!
Forum rules
Wiki Link
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Rurouni Kenshin Released

Post by Lunagel »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Rurouni_Ke ... e_Movie%29

Let me first answer the comment everyone's going to make - "But I thought you said you weren't going to do this!"

True, we weren't. However, since it's been a year since the release of the movie, it's been shown at one movie theater in the US and there still hasn't been any word about it being licensed, I figured it's pretty safe to give it our shot. Yes, there are obviously other subs out there already. But in all honesty, I really really wanted to sub this.

I was lucky enough to be able to see it in theaters and I was on the edge of my seat. Everything about this movie is amazing. The costumes, the casting, the directing, the music, the action, oh my god the action. It's just perfect. Of course, Satou Takeru is fantastic as a bumbling samurai (GEE I WONDER WHY) and Kikawa Kouji (Kamen Rider Skull) scares the pants off me. Those contacts look like they hurt like a bitch.

Even if you've never read Kenshin or seen the anime before, it's still a highly entertaining movie, and I cannot stress how awesome it is. If you're not downloading this already, do so now. You will not regret it.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Rurouni Kenshin Released

Post by takenoko »

Pretty good movie. A lot of really good cinematic scenes, like when Kenshin puts on the iconic red robe or a bunch of little stuff that escape my memory right now. Just a lot of "ah, that was a good scene" or "ah, that was a great line".

Oh man, seeing Yahiko cleaning all those footprints sucks. Did anyone else kind of gasp when the police started stepping into the dojo and stomping their feet around?

I kind of wish the director made a few changes to the fight with the groom scene. Him getting up a second time came off a bit commical. I mean, he's not the black knight from Monty Python. Just have him scar Kenshin after he got up the one time.

I also kind of think the guy getting up while Kenshin was leaving was weird? If he wanted to live so badly, let him go and pretend to be dead. I would have just done away with the moment spent to make it seem as if Kenshin was leaving.

I probably should know the guy who's fighting Sanosuke, but it's been forever since I saw Kenshin. I just love the meal break that they take in the middle of their heated fist fight.

Oh man, the live version does a good job at reviving my love for Hajime.

Jine is cool, but he felt really thrown into the movie. I didn't really feel like they did a good job adapting his character. Like why was he using Kaoru's school name? This guy's so powerful, so why was he working for a wimp like Kanryuu? Just felt like "We can't do a Kenshin movie with Jine, but we can't include his long ass story arc either, so he'll just show up as the extra boss battle at the end."

Also, why did Kenshin run away with Kaoru instead of fighting Jine? What a tease, since at that point, everyone knew that was the set up for the last fight in the movie.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

Alright I must admit I was supposed to watch this way earlier but never really found the time for it. Still, this was such a great movie.

It had a bit of everything. Really good soundtrack music (amplifying the emotion and drama at various scenes), some elements of humour at appropriate points, historical elements, a good plot, great characters and some fantastic action.

I really like idealistic characters like Kenshin. The first few minutes all I could see was "Den-O Den-O" and so on, but I was surprised how quickly that went away. His role was very convincing. I love how the movie initially makes you be on Kenshin's side and then kind of changes that when he recalls his dark past. But the parallel drawn between the person he killed in the past and the person dead at present, in addition to the insight on his regret and determination not to kill another person, really does grasp you firmly on his side.

All of the characters were very convincing, but I enjoyed Kaoru and Yahiko the best.

The scene at the end was touching, with Kenshin ready to sacrifice his promise not to kill anymore (in order to SAVE someone, i.e. it would be killing but for a different reason).

I could go on about things I enjoyed, but there were just so many small things that I don't remember them all now.
Behold the Emperor!
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

So basically Kamen Rider Den-O travelled to ancient Japan and faced off Kamen Rider Skull, and met a girl and led a happy life? No wonder NEW Den-O had to take over.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

If you're a newcomer to the series or just want to know more about the real Japanese history behind the movie, check out our wiki page about it:
http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Rurouni_Ke ... e_Movie%29

Let me know if there are any other terms or historical stuff that you'd like us to clear up.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

the only say i can say about this is while i wait for it to download is:
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! :D :D :D ...ahem...sorry about that.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

Sounds like it's a GOOD movie. It's likely more on action scenes.

Feels like a childhood times for me! :)
Because I watch the anime version in TV.

XerBlade
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Faiz
Dreamy: Tatsulot
Favorite Actor?: Ishida Akira
Quote: Kamen Rider Meteorologist! I will decide your forecast!
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by XerBlade »

(^_^)

*deletes the archived older sub by someone else and replaces it with this one*

*waits impatiently for sequel...*
Watching
Kamen Rider: Saber

Complete
Kamen Rider: All Black and later
Sentai: Shinkenger,Gokaiger,Magic Kaito VS Detective Conan
Garo: All
shadowcake8102
Favorite series: Gokaiger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by shadowcake8102 »

takenoko wrote:Pretty good movie. A lot of really good cinematic scenes, like when Kenshin puts on the iconic red robe or a bunch of little stuff that escape my memory right now. Just a lot of "ah, that was a good scene" or "ah, that was a great line".

Oh man, seeing Yahiko cleaning all those footprints sucks. Did anyone else kind of gasp when the police started stepping into the dojo and stomping their feet around?

I kind of wish the director made a few changes to the fight with the groom scene. Him getting up a second time came off a bit commical. I mean, he's not the black knight from Monty Python. Just have him scar Kenshin after he got up the one time.

I also kind of think the guy getting up while Kenshin was leaving was weird? If he wanted to live so badly, let him go and pretend to be dead. I would have just done away with the moment spent to make it seem as if Kenshin was leaving.

I probably should know the guy who's fighting Sanosuke, but it's been forever since I saw Kenshin. I just love the meal break that they take in the middle of their heated fist fight.

Oh man, the live version does a good job at reviving my love for Hajime.

Jine is cool, but he felt really thrown into the movie. I didn't really feel like they did a good job adapting his character. Like why was he using Kaoru's school name? This guy's so powerful, so why was he working for a wimp like Kanryuu? Just felt like "We can't do a Kenshin movie with Jine, but we can't include his long ass story arc either, so he'll just show up as the extra boss battle at the end."

Also, why did Kenshin run away with Kaoru instead of fighting Jine? What a tease, since at that point, everyone knew that was the set up for the last fight in the movie.

The guy who fought Sanosuke also played the Luna Dopant in the A-Z KR W movie, a retired kickboxer named Genki Sudo.

The reason that Jin'e's framing Kaoru's school was probably because Kanryuu's trying to buy the land. There's an off-hand mention by Tae before Sanosuke and Kenshin's duel about Kaoru inspiring others to keep their land. Those guys who attacked Kaoru's dojo and the well system being poisoned was likely for the same goal.

I'm assuming Kenshin didn't fight Jin'e because Kenshin's obviously trying to keep a low-profile, fighting him in front of the cops would've raised questions, especially since he owns a sword (even if it's a reverse-blade). The brawl in Kaoru's dojo was probably because he had no choice.[/spoiler]
Last edited by takenoko on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed spoiler tags since it's not needed
jolly_old_saint
Faiz
Favorite series: Gumby
2nd Favorite Series: Dengekibikifaizenger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by jolly_old_saint »

Whee, fleet of footness and all that~
Plus with taitei no ken you're on your way to a monopoly of giant sword guys.

Still, pretty damned positive the main character's name is spelled "Power Ranger Samurai X." Kind of a big oversight.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I totally said we should have named it Samurai X!
lonegamer7
Save the life
Favorite series: Transformers
2nd Favorite Series: Mythbusters

Post by lonegamer7 »

Let me say this to start! I...!

...became a total RK fangirl all over again when they announced that the LA Eiga Fest was screening it in Hollywood. First thing done was getting the red carpet ticket, and on the day, WAITING THE ENTIRE DAY THERE TILL PREMIERE TIME. 8B Yeah. Boisterous cheering and "awww"ing from the audience, even though a good portion of us were almost dressed to the nines.

*cough*

And on seeing this project, I was just so... HAPPY. Squee, squee, SQUEE.

Being a diehard RK fan since the 90s on having read the manga and watched the anime (plus the movie and OAVs - even THAT OAV), I had skepticism on how they were going to do RK live-action. Then, Satou's selected to play Kenshin. That made me a little interested, given that I had gone on a Heisei Rider watching binge some time before. Trailers come out, I'm "I have GOT to see this." Seeing the film, "not bad for condensing about 4 volumes' worth of chapters together". Parts of the condensing makes sense, like Jin-e being the fake "Battousai" instead of Hiruma Gohei actually seems to fit better, and we have a closer glimpse at why Jin-e's such a sociopathic killer compared to Kenshin, who found a way out after Toba Fushimi.

A thing I picked up during the Q&A session with director Ohtomo and Sano's actor - Aoki-san - after the film. Most of us old fogies know that one of Sano's quirks is having a fishbone in his mouth. In the film here, they changed that to him downing raw eggs as a snack. The reason was that Ohtomo thought the fishbone would seem a bit silly, and Aoki felt that it'd be too much of a caricature, hence the change. Fridge Brilliance kicks in when it comes to the gatling gun scene (theater was practically on the edge of our pants at the gun's first glimpse), with Sano throwing eggs at Kanryuu as a distraction. :)

One thing that had me going "WTF?!" was during the Akabeko scene of Kanryuu trying to "hire" *cough*bribe*cough* Kenshin to be his bodyguard. He constantly refers to Kenshin as a samurai, when in reality of the manga's world, Kenshin was simply a swordsman, never samurai (his parents were farmers). Although it could beg the question if there wasn't some forgotten samurai ancestry in Kenshin's family tree, unlike Yahiko or maybe Kaoru... Bah, film adaptation logic. :3

In short, I'm biased towards the film. :lol: (Although one of the movie posters could've been done better...)
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

now that i have finally been able to watch its(seriously, today has been a very long day for me...) i can only say that i loved it.
Rurouni Kenshin is one of my all time favorite animes(and the one that got me INTO anime) that i have been waiting forever to see this movie.

First of all, i think they did a damn good job at adapting so many elements of the story into one single movie. they could have ruined it so easily by just cramming all together and just hoping it would saty. instead, they managed to take so many elements and have them related to one another that it feels almost like a single story.
If i had a complaint is that the oniwabanshu was replaced by two characters of the manga's final major arc(which, i'm ashamed to say, i haven't read it yet), it would not have been a big complain had Aoshi appear in the movie. on the other hand, i think Jin-ne was a really good choice as the main antagonist of this movie(maybe Kanryuu will hire them to take revenge in the sequel?...).
Also, it was really creative how they adapted the sell the dojo plot into the movie.

I also like how they give enough of kenshin's backstory to not feel lost in case you had not read the manga, but still have stuff for possible sequels.

i tought Kanryuu was a pretty good antagonist, too. i especially liked how he knew kenshin and sato were probably gonna defeat all his men and had to be prepared, even if he was unable to comprehend someone fighting for something other than money. his theme sounded silly to me, tough.

Sanosuke was pretty good, too. i really like when the two main characters are the opposite of each other and i'm glad they showed it. he also came as a nice guy, even if a little of a jerk.
the fist fight was pretty good and it was funny when sato stopped to eat something. i was actually expecting sano to attack Inui while he was distracted, it was nice to see he was honest about both of them taking a break.

they fooled me with Gein(the blonde guy who, in the manga, is an old guy), i was convinced he was Aoshi (altough, first i tought he was Hannya).

Kaoru was nicely adapted, i like that she tries to fight, but keeps getting interrupted. if they make a sequel, maybe she will do smething? they adapted the part were kaoru get's free of jin-ne's technique, which should hint she is stronger than she looks.

Yachiro, they added him in a pretty nice way, having him join before the events of the movie, even if it skipped one of my favorite scenes in the series(kenshin rescuing yachiko in his first appearence), it probably avoid padding.

Saito didnt get to fight properly, but still had some great moments with kenshin, which i really liked.

Megumi, i have to admit, i don't remember that much about her in the series, but she did came as good person, even if a complex one. also, when she saved all those people, awesome.

i almost forgot. great job with the backgrounds. having people walking in the background, the hosue feeling like a house. the rain. the victorian house. it was all great.

and i think that's all i have to say...
Last edited by locuas on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wild Goose
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

Post by Wild Goose »

OH MY FUCKING GOD.

THIS.

THIS WAS PERFECT.

OH MY FUCKING GOD.
DragoonShandy
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Too many were great
Dreamy: Hiroaki Iwanagi
Favorite Actor?: Rei Fujita
Favorite Band: Kamen Rider Girls
My boom: Kyouryuger
Quote: "Shijou Saikyou no Bureibu! Zyuden Sentai Kyouryuuger!"
"If you tried to get everyone to like you, you'd end up the most popular dead man in town."
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by DragoonShandy »

So, I am watching this and I am still waiting to hear the unmistakable sounds of the Den-Liner or see an Imagin. It just isn't happening Lol. Not a bad movie so far though.

Return to “Other Projects”