Saint Seiya Legend of Sanctuary

For all those one shots and other miscellany!
Forum rules
Wiki Link
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Saint Seiya Legend of Sanctuary

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Saint_Seiy ... _Sanctuary

Saint Seiya Legend of Sanctuary is a pretty good movie adaption for the first major arc of the TV series (around the first 70 episodes). For one movie covering that much content, I felt like it did a pretty good job at adapting it and making it its own thing.

Unfortunately, it does feel rushed at the end. Part of the fun of these hot-blooded shonen battles is the surprising twist that lets the hero win at the end and the explanation of what happened. Here, the action just occurs with little reflection on what actually transpired. It's still a really pretty movie, but the story felt like it could have been split into two. I mean, the live action Kenshin movies covered the same number of anime episodes over three movies (granted Seiya has a lot more filler by comparison)

As a result, it feels like we barely know anything about the last few Gold Saints. And Ikki shows up at the end, barely doing anything. There's also hints that Shaina is the fake Athena, but she doesn't do anything either. It just feels like there's a lot of story and motivations that are never touched upon or clarified.

I have mixed feelings about the new designs. They're definitely cool and slick (and a lot better than the upgrades that happen in the latter half of the anime series), but I definitely have a lot of affection for the original Cloth designs too. Sanctuary looked like it was designed by someone who saw the new Thor movies. Beautiful, of course, but it's still hyper modern mythological buildings in space.

I was impressed by the expressions capable of the CGI characters. There were even a few goofy anime humor moments that felt appropriate for the time. Shun felt more feminine in the original anime.

It's a fun ride, but I kind of wish there were more. Also, I would have loved to have heard a modern rendition of Pegasus Fantasy.
VerusMaya II
Humongous
Favorite series: Ultraman Mebius, Lupinranger vs Patranger, Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger, Ryukendo
Dreamy: Q
Favorite Band: Calexico
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: FFXIV
Quote: veridis quo
Type: INFP Healer

Re: Saint Seiya Legend of Sanctuary

Post by VerusMaya II »

The greatest tragedy of this film is how hot Aiolos was, and how little screentime his face got.
we are here to take the blame; to take the taunts and live the shame
we are here to make you feel; it terrifies you, but it's real
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Fun fact, Aiolos is voiced by Torin.
OtakuGangsta
Kamen Rider of The Hood
Quote: Go Fuck Yourself, Kisamayatsu!!!

Post by OtakuGangsta »

Fuck yeah, Time to watch it again for the 100th time. I still think this movie should have been 2 parts. #BURNMYCOSMOS
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

Never saw the series before. Would this be a good watch?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

To be honest, it's really a poor telling of the sanctuary saga.

And the thing that irritates me the most is that they changed the voice actors for the characters, again!
Dark_Yamatoman
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!

Post by Dark_Yamatoman »

I thought it was... Decent.

The Movie started out pretty great, but things started to fall apart after Deathmask shows up. They completely destroyed his character,no respect at all. @__@
That said though, I like the main characters more here than I do in the anime (except for maybe Shun), they had a lot more personality.

Putting redesigns aside, the one thing that I hated the most was how Shun and Ikki never defeated a Golden Saint. Everyone has their own favorite Saint,but I think we can all agree they should defeat at least one major enemy and get their chance to shine.

That last fight with Saga was some serious Final Fantasy bullshit, and I can't say I enjoyed it all.
It feels like they wanted to get the Gold Saints more involved, but in the end Seiya defeated the last boss alone for no real reason. :/

No Pegasus Fantasy was really a letdown, and the soundtrack in general was pretty weak, which is a shame considering how good Seiji Yokoyama's original soundtrack is.

The animation was mostly really good, a few awkwardly animated moments, but overal pretty surprising coming from Toei. The use of masks sometimes during the fights, and cutting Saori's hair made me laugh though, because it was so obviously done to make it easier to animate, that's when I went "THAT'S the Toei I know!", heh :P

Either way, I had a lot of fun watching the movie in the theaters with my friends and making fun of it :)
Taiga

Post by Taiga »

Honestly, regardless of how good or bad this movie is, Thank You guys for subbing it. Huge Seiya fan and I really wanted to watch this!

P.s. the Kenshin movies were amazing and thank you so much for those as well! :D
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Revorse wrote:Never saw the series before. Would this be a good watch?
I dunno. I think that a lot of what I enjoyed about the movie is based on previous nostalgia. But that said, there's something to be said about seeing a remake free from bias. It's a fun, but shallow action anime movie. I don't think it's as good as the original series, but it's definitely fun and the animation is really pretty.

It might be a good gateway into the Seiya fandom.
RuneDragon1985
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kiva
Quote: "Saa, omae no tsumi wo kazoe ro."

Post by RuneDragon1985 »

I am going to openly admit this now just to get it out of the way: I have never once watched any Saint Seiya series ever. I would start, but I have enough anime in my backlog for a good couple months solid to watch as it is.

Going into this movie knowing nothing about the source material, I wasn't sure what to expect.

This movie is gorgeous to look at. The CGI is Pixar-levels of awesome. For what it's worth, Toei spared no expense to commit to the levels of sheer beauty for this movie. I think the most attractive thing about this movie were the Saint Cloths. The armor designs were well-detailed and really stood apart from one another.

Unfortunately, the same can't really be said for the characters. Seiya, Shiryuu, Hyouga and Shun really didn't have any time to develop during the run, which made it hard to really relate or learn anything about them; save that they were orphans with Cosmos. I guess I'd have to watch the series to learn about them. I will say this, I got a kick out of Deathmask's impromptu "musical" number. That was just so jarring it was hilarious.

There seemed to be points I felt where scenes were missing that could have provided insight into some of the characters or extend the scene somewhat. We might just have to wait for a director's cut to come out or something.

The fights were awesome. I'm not gonna lie, some of those fights were just magnificent, like the climax of Hyouga and Aquarius' fight was just incredible. The final fight itself was incredible to watch, and I just sat back and thought, 'Heh, I bet Momotaros would have loved to start from that climax!'

Over all, this was a good, fun movie that may prove to be my gateway to the series at some point in the future, and is worth watching for a good action fantasy movie.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>There seemed to be points I felt where scenes were missing that could have provided insight into some of the characters or extend the scene somewhat. We might just have to wait for a director's cut to come out or something.

They cut A LOT of stuff from the anime to make it fit the movie length. I'm glad that you were still able to enjoy the movie despite the lack of context.
RuneDragon1985
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kiva
Quote: "Saa, omae no tsumi wo kazoe ro."

Post by RuneDragon1985 »

Well, there was a lot of exposition at the beginning before the Bronze Saints made their awesomely flashy entrance which I got the gist of so I kind of knew what was going on from the start. Would have definitely liked to see Seiya's Seventh Sense developed along the way after Aldebaran's fight.

Return to “Other Projects”