Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends

For all those one shots and other miscellany!
Forum rules
Wiki Link
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends

Post by Lunagel »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Rurouni_Ke ... _Saigo-hen

Man, what an ending. I mean, just wow.

Now, I know Kenshin's whole schtick is not killing, but especially for the final battle, it really struck me how silly it really is. Sure, he may not personally kill anyone here, but everyone else has no such compunctions. Plus if you don't think that those guys they captured and carted off in the end aren't gonna get executed, you've got another think coming. Maybe he doesn't swing the sword but there's blood on his hands nevertheless. I have the same problem with Doctor Who honestly, regardless of whether or not you personally kill someone, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not your fault. For Kenshin it's even more reprehensible because if anyone got up again after he cut them down, they're pretty unwounded and can easily go on to kill more people. So then he's got the deaths of the good guys on his hands too. Anyway, something that's always bothered me.

Pretty straightforward translation this time, with the exception of the Master, who should audition for the next Yoda in the new Star Wars. The only thing that tripped me up was when they started reading the names of people Kenshin killed (surprisingly short list actually) and listing their titles as well, which were almost all really archaic and unused in today's society. I nearly ragequit at that point.

Excellent movie, wonderful action, hope they'll make more.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Re: Rurouni Kenshin: The Legend Ends

Post by DaVinci030 »

That final battle between Himura Kenshin and Shishio Makoto was so great. I was hoping Kenshin didn't cut down Shishio.

What a wonderful actions. I think it's better than the previous movies.

XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

I thought the final fight was too drawn out, just seemed to go on to long and had the feel "you cant kill me now matter how many times you cut me down", had that been shorter and not so drawn out I think I may have liked this one more than the 2nd, but I don't feel like I could like either fully.

The reading of the names was dull, kinda lost the will to continue timing the movie at that point. I did think it was just names, didn't realize it was ranks as well, probably marked the lines in the wrong spot in that instance then. But it was kind of a buzz kill.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

I liked the ending of all the live action Kenshin movies it leaves you with a kind of feeling that I can't explain. The final battle against Shishio was great as well.
daburuwosagase
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Fourze
Quote: "But they didn't know that this Majide is MADE OF DEKIRU and I will tsubusu you! I will tsubusu and TAOSU you!!"

Post by daburuwosagase »

The action sequences and choreography in this movie were pretty great. They really make use of the surroundings, like with Kenshin vs Aoshi under the bridge. Kenshin's tendency to dodgeroll and attack more than just the torso is refreshing to see in a swordfight.

I was surprised that they really didn't give the explanations for Kenshin's scar or Shishio's fire-blasting sword. I guess the average watcher isn't too concerned about those things or can just look them up later. And they didn't overly focus on Shishio's time limit, which is nice for the moviegoer with their own time limit.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Man what a great movie. Like people said, excellent choreography all around. Finally, a good shot of Hajime pulling off his signature move.

The one thing that I miss in these movies is that everything is on such a time constraint. I would have liked some sort of explanation for Kenshin's ascension technique at the end, but those are the sort of things that are usually cut for time. That's always a pity to me because to the general audience, that just means "Kenshin just swung his sword up like usual" even though there's more meaning to it than that.

Ummm, how did Misao know where to find Kenshin?

From a movie creation standpoint, I have no idea why the faceless Oniwan guy tells Kenshin to go to Tokyo. It feels like that should have been Misao's job.

Fuck you Itou. You don't get to be a politician sack of shit for the whole movie, then also get to do that awesome speech at the end.

I really liked the moment with Hajime telling the dying officer that he did a good job.

I'm glad the movie didn't bog down the pacing with the background story of the individual members of the Ten Swords. The monk's one always bums me out.

I like he glimpses into the Kenshin OVA. One of my favorite anime stories of all time.

Thanks to the staff who worked on this trilogy of movies. This is a great set of movies and I'm proud to have participated in the subbing of it.
Dragonfan
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by Dragonfan »

For me this movie was such a dissapointment, even more if I compare with the previous one that is great. The plot changes make no sense (what is that fake execution? What the heck are you doing with Okina "now I'm dead now alive now dead seriously"), the supporting character are ridiculous, the thing they did with the Juppongatana was something to forget, and the final battle... Oh man. The fights have been great in this movie until this point, what happened here? It looks like people moving their fake sticks around without no choreography whatsoever. Takeru even hit Yusuke with his sword, more than once actually. And Shishio had thousand of opportunities to kill Sanosuke "they didn't teach me Futae no kiwami so I am technically a simple thug fighting against one of the best swordmen ever" Sagara, but he throws him off over and over again to the point that I was starting to doubt if Shishio was the one who doesn't want to kill instead of Kenshin.

At least they did a great work with Seijuro, Masaharu is great in that role.

Like I said, a shame for me considering that I enjoyed the first one and loved the second one. And it's also a shame that no animation company took the chance to make an adaptation of the last arc taking the whole movie marketing as a synergy.
Klanoyt
Mega
Favorite series: Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: All Kamen Riders
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Klanoyt »

Sanosuke's in a blood bath... again. :p

Shishio's fight with Kenshin is awesome... but the match between Sojiro and Kenshin is the best for me.

Thank you for the opportunity to work on this title as well.
Ximara
Kamen Rider Club
Kamen Rider Club
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Marvel
Quote: "Where'd you get the name Ximara?"
"It's my nobody name."

Post by Ximara »

Loved it. I remember watching the anime way back in the day and watching the live action movies brought on all the feels.

In response to Luna's take on Kenshin's non killing thing, dude I know right?! The thing that's always bothered me hasn't even been the moral consequences that far into the future, but the ones that are more physically immediate. (Don't even care that that sentence probably only makes sense to me lol.) Ok, I understand he doesn't want to kill anyone anymore, but he still wants to protect people etc. Got that...but a blunt sword? Really? I use a sword with a dull edge so I CAN'T kill anyone... Um... no... That's like saying you can't kill anyone with a golf club or a baseball bat. Ok sure, his sword technique is made for slashing, but I've also watched him bash people repeatly in the neck and torso. There is such things as blunt force trauma and internal bleeding Kenshin. Ask your doctor buddy if they can kill people, I guarantee you the answer is yes. Even if he's supposed to have perfect control so as not to deliver potentially killing blows, you can't know how much force every person fighting you's body can take. That's impossible, and even if it's just educated guess work the odds are against him. There had to be at least one person on that boat who's lung he punctured with their own rib due to a blow that was too hard. I just decided to go with, "It's fiction Xi...just roll with it, check your logic at the door and your head won't explode from over thinking it."

Moving on.
Lunagel wrote:The only thing that tripped me up was when they started reading the names of people Kenshin killed (surprisingly short list actually) and listing their titles as well, which were almost all really archaic and unused in today's society.
I'm going to assume that they were just the people he was sent to assassinate. I mean, I don't think they can really pin the deaths of soldiers and such killed in large battles on him due to the chaos of war. However if they had a list of all the people they'd actually sent him to kill that'd be another thing. Though I don't know why they'd want a list like that read out loud, considering anyone could piece together that all the people killed were those who opposed the current goverment's formation. Unless of course, said list got some creative political editing before it was released for public review.

There were a few cinemasins worthy moments, like the previously cited "Misao knowing where Kenshin's teacher was and that Kenshin would be there" thing. Dude fell off a boat! You can't be sure where his happy ass ended up! And while we're on it...DUDE FELL OFF A BOAT! And just happened to wash up on the beach that his old teacher is just strolling along. God must love this man...

There's really nothing bad I can say about this trilogy other than the nitpicky bull I already ranted on. The action in great and the characters make you feel for them. Overall it was everything I'd hoped for.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Ximara wrote:
Lunagel wrote:The only thing that tripped me up was when they started reading the names of people Kenshin killed (surprisingly short list actually) and listing their titles as well, which were almost all really archaic and unused in today's society.
I'm going to assume that they were just the people he was sent to assassinate. I mean, I don't think they can really pin the deaths of soldiers and such killed in large battles on him due to the chaos of war. However if they had a list of all the people they'd actually sent him to kill that'd be another thing.
Oh man, that never even occurred to me. Good point.
RuneDragon1985
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kiva
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Saa, omae no tsumi wo kazoe ro."

Post by RuneDragon1985 »

Didn't expect the third movie to be out for some time. The way the second ended I knew there had to be a third, but holy crap, how have I not heard about it coming out until now?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I think they filmed 2 and 3 together as a super long movie, then split it. Most of their advertisement and promotional stuff pretty much lumps 2 and 3 together anyway.
RuneDragon1985
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Kiva
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: "Saa, omae no tsumi wo kazoe ro."

Post by RuneDragon1985 »

Huh. Maybe I'm just dense and I never once saw any movie promo for it save for when you guys posted you're working on subtitling the first movie and then announced subbing the second.
Impact
7X
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Dairanger
Favorite Band: Gackt
My boom: Shio Ramen
Quote: "Dios no me ama!"

Post by Impact »

First off, thank you for subbing all these Kenshin movies, it's really appreciated. Thank you, thank you.

That was a hell of an ending. Watched it start to finish. One of the scenes that stuck with me the most was after the final battle, where Saito is on the beach, looking on, while Kenshin got saluted. Seems he was a bit jealous, given his "There is no other path for us" statement at the end of the first movie. That scene where he tells that policeman that he did good was so well done.

So, I wasn't crazy when I thought they didn't explain the second half of Kenshin's scar. I wonder if they'll make a movie on that or not. I'm hoping they do. It's a pretty important part of his backstory if I remember right.

Overall, very awesome trilogy, beautiful scenery, excellent acting, amazing fight scenes. Again, thank you for subbing these movies.
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

The whole thing with Kenshin's scar or rather the skip around didn't sit right with me. In the words of a co-worker who never seen Kenshin "Why would a sobbing woman bother him, and where did his second scar come from." I had to explain to him the manga and the series and remind him it may not apply to the movies though.

Over all there where things I was disappointed not seeing in the movies, but this being a long series to begin with I think the adaptation wasn't to bad. Loved the last fight. Though if it happened in real life guessing Sano, being the only one with out a sword, would have accidentally lost a limb or two jumping in there.

Return to “Other Projects”