Wangan Midnight The Movie

For all those one shots and other miscellany!
Forum rules
Wiki Link
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Wangan Midnight The Movie

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, and it's mostly the same dude that was slurring all his words together. Anyway, I'm amazed you understood that guy. Anyway, my main mistake for the narrator line was mistaking jubaku with jibaku, which is why that came out that way
AsakuraZ
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W

Post by AsakuraZ »

Ok! I just got done watching this and I thought I'd talk a little about the movie as well, since I know WM pretty well.

So as far as accuracy goes and were this movie takes place, its over the first few issues of the WM manga, though the story seems to be viewed from Tatsuya Shima. There are some minor things changed in the beginning, as in the manga Akio owns a red Z33 and he sells that to purchase the DevilZ from the junkyard. From there it sticks pretty close to the original story, with the introduction of some later characters a little earlier. I was a little shocked though at the pier scene. I was expecting Shima to pull out in front of the Z and stop it, but instead we have Akio jumping out of a moving car. I guess the manga scene had more impact because Eriko was willing to give her life to destroy the car. Also adding Akio's teacher in the movie was a little odd, seeing as you don't have much time in a movie, to add a minor character like that. I was glad to see Ishida in the movie though, still driving a Ferrari.

All and all I really enjoyed the movie. I expected a slow pace in the movie, because WM is more of a character driven book and places less emphasis on the racing and more about having you connect with these characters. Also the movie did end almost like the manga ends at that arc, with the Z in flames. But it does come back, so I'm hoping to see another movie in the future.
Nomake Wan
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Faiz
Dreamy: Natsuki Sasahara
Favorite Actor?: Sean Connery
Favorite Band: EXIT TRANCE
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Henshin Belts

Post by Nomake Wan »

Finished it just now. Aside from not being able to understand Ma (for instance, saying the Akio is 'stepping on the throttle' when he's...not) and a few other car/shutokousoku-related bits (what is Hydro? Isn't Ichikawa the parking area? etc etc), the subs are decent. Not too shabby for your first car show, T-N.
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

Nomake Wan wrote:Finished it just now. Aside from not being able to understand Ma (for instance, saying the Akio is 'stepping on the throttle' when he's...not) and a few other car/shutokousoku-related bits (what is Hydro? Isn't Ichikawa the parking area? etc etc), the subs are decent. Not too shabby for your first car show, T-N.
Hydro could be considered Coolant, but that sounds borning, so Hydro is better, plus it sounds cool
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
Nomake Wan
Kamen Knight

Post by Nomake Wan »

Azazel wrote:
Nomake Wan wrote:Finished it just now. Aside from not being able to understand Ma (for instance, saying the Akio is 'stepping on the throttle' when he's...not) and a few other car/shutokousoku-related bits (what is Hydro? Isn't Ichikawa the parking area? etc etc), the subs are decent. Not too shabby for your first car show, T-N.
Hydro could be considered Coolant, but that sounds borning, so Hydro is better, plus it sounds cool
...except that Akio says "Idle," not "Hydro." Coolant was covered in the line before it. "Suion" is Water Temperature or Coolant Temperature.
Gunzy
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Ryukendo
Dreamy: Sayaka Isoyama
Favorite Band: Clazziquai
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Video Games
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Gunzy »

Was that Elliot Yamin playing in the background at 42:05 and does anyone know i there is an offical soundtrack to this movie?
ImageImage
Nomake Wan
Kamen Knight

Post by Nomake Wan »

Gunzy wrote:Was that Elliot Yamin playing in the background at 42:05 and does anyone know i there is an offical soundtrack to this movie?
Yes and yes. "Wait for You" by Elliot Yamin, which is Track 12 on the OST.

http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/switch-langu ... uage=en_JP
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

There's a link if anyone wants to hear the Japanese version of Wait for you
Solidus
UNKNOWN HARD ERROR!
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Blade
Dreamy: Mika, Ran
Favorite Actor?: Cobb
Favorite Band: LCD Soundsystem
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: shiny objects

Post by Solidus »

DrinkItDown wrote:Ok, where to begin...

Thanks TVN as usual, like I said before, I was more excited for this project than any other before.

That said, the movie has some issues...

They left out some story elements, but what they left out was pretty irrelevant anyway. My main issues are with some of the technical moments. For example, that first shot of the engine after they get it running again. They show a regular carbureted NA L series engine, and the motor is supposed to be a twin turbo L28, with a blow-through carburetor setup. There was also some cheesy Fast and the Furious 20x shifting moments that kind of took me out of the movie at times. They also said that the car had slotted brake rotors, when it had standard vented rotors.

Its hard not to nitpick stuff like this when they are zooming on the pieces they are talking about and lieing about it the entire time.

Throwing all that stuff out though, the movie is pretty good. Zeronos makes a good Akio, and Drake makes a good Shima.

Who knows, maybe you guys will pursue subbing the Anime or even the nineties Wangan Midnight movies.
Yeah, it was sort of my job to QC the gearhead technobabble, I found myself confused by what they were trying to say at times because the writers apparently don't know cars outside of a few pages of notes they got from Google. And I was annoyed a lot by the laziness in the car props. I found myself trying to ascertain whether the writers were misinformed, or they were trying to pass off a cheaper car as if it was the amazing tuned Z, or if it was an error on our part. I was XD'ing quite a bit due to that, especially the rusted-ass vented rotors they claimed were stainless. Like the Devil Z could even have stopped from top speed on those dirty old things.

Overall I enjoyed this, it's fairly faithful to the anime (I have not read the manga, not my thing). In particular the characters were spot on. I agree the pacing was messed up though, probably from condensing several episodes into a movie format. Forgivable to me, but I can see why some might find it hurts the movie or causes it to lose some meaning.

Also, the racing and such just doesn't translate well into live action. It works better in a surreal fantasy such as animation where you can go 240MPH and not look like a poor man's Fast and Furious.

The ending was a big WTF though. Not necessarily that he crashed, but the fact that what he attempted to do should not have helped Shima anyways. In fact, it would have caused him to crash sooner and more severely. It was like Akio threw his car away and Shima lucked out and managed to survive despite Akio's totally stupid decision. :D

An aside - this is MUCH BETTER than the Initial D live action movie. (Although outside of that turd, Initial D anime > Wangan Midnight anime, IMO).
Devilbat
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade/W

Post by Devilbat »

I really enjoyed this movie, although that isn't much of a surprise because I usually like these types of movies (The Fast and the Furious, Initial D, etc). It was a more character driven (pun unintended) then I thought it would be but it was still a bit of surprise that I liked it so much. Plus I went into this knowing nothing about the manga/anime so I hade no hopes on it what so ever. I now want to see the sequel and might even start reading the manga and watching the anime.
"It's... showtime." -Haruto Souma/Kamen Rider Wizard

DrinkItDown
RYUKI TARDFACE
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
Dreamy: Faiz Bar Tender chic
Favorite Band: L'Arc en Ciel
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Cars i suppose

Post by DrinkItDown »

I suggest watching the anime. The people who did the car animation for it are the same people that did Initial D Fourth Stage, so the cars look great (and are the way they are described), and there aren't any of the cheese moments that exist in the movie. Ive found the manga hard to absorb at times.
Old school TVN member
formerly FA|RokkumanEXE
DrinkItDown
RYUKI TARDFACE
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
Dreamy: Faiz Bar Tender chic
Favorite Band: L'Arc en Ciel
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Cars i suppose

Post by DrinkItDown »

Solidus wrote:An aside - this is MUCH BETTER than the Initial D live action movie. (Although outside of that turd, Initial D anime > Wangan Midnight anime, IMO).
Yeah, the CHINESE Initial D adaptation was fail and AIDS. I commend the effort on the QC-ing though. The prop people failed big time on this one...lol.
Old school TVN member
formerly FA|RokkumanEXE
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Off topic, but I liked the Chinese Initial D movie (wasn't it Initial T?). I thought it was funny to see some of the characters combined into one person ("lol, I have one loser friend instead of two. Go me") The take on the dad being an alcoholic, borderline abusive asshole was interesting too. Definitely doesn't hold a candle to the anime, but it was an interesting take on it
Nomake Wan
Kamen Knight

Post by Nomake Wan »

takenoko wrote:Off topic, but I liked the Chinese Initial D movie (wasn't it Initial T?). I thought it was funny to see some of the characters combined into one person ("lol, I have one loser friend instead of two. Go me") The take on the dad being an alcoholic, borderline abusive asshole was interesting too. Definitely doesn't hold a candle to the anime, but it was an interesting take on it
That's my take on this movie, actually. I liked both Initial D and this Wangan Midnight movie for being fun adaptations of the original stories. Neither movie was intended to be a 100% faithful manga adaptation, they were supposed to be fun movies based on the core concepts of each series.

Sure, the technical FAIL can get in the way sometimes (speedometers are not tachometers!), but then again, you could say the same for the Fast & The Furious franchise.
Anime_freek22
Train man
Favorite series: GARO/Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Fuuma no Kojirou
Favorite Band: UVERworld
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: well dressed pickles
Quote: "You were right all along Finn. Now I'm going to cut out Bubblegum's heart, and make out with it."

Post by Anime_freek22 »

Maybe because of how they drive stick shifts? Stick shifts are pretty much the only car that actually has a real use for the tachometer.
I lost The Game!

Return to “Other Projects”