Wiki Link
Super Sentai Spirits
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Sentai
Favorite Band: Too many to name
My boom: Kicking Ass

Re: Cutie Honey the Live Special

Post by Super Sentai Spirits »

for a clip show it was kinda boring. maybe it was just i got off from work, but i watch again when I'm fully awake
アニメ、特撮、ROCKの垣根を越えて活動中!サイキックラバーです。
After the second role call nothing can go wrong

oddjob
Humongous
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Ultraman Nexus
Quote: "Giving up" is what kills people.

It is only when a person refuses to give up no matter what that they earn the right of walking down humanity's noble pathway.

Post by oddjob »

Tuss4 wrote:WAIT WAIT WAIT - Stop the presses! Did Takenoko get a new avatar?
I didn't recognize him at first as well...

Now, going back on-topic :arrow: I'm just glad I got a new video of CutieHoney. Too bad I'm not at my home now and I can't watch it now :cry:
William_Duel
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Faiz
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: The World.

Post by William_Duel »

Me, I'm a big fan of cutey honey and Go Nagai's other works (Devilman is my favorite character ever) so naturally I watched this series. I thought the idea of Yuki and Miki (I like the devilman reference here naturally) was totally awesome. My only problem with this series was Cutey Honey's characterization, yes she's always a bit of an airhead in varying degrees, but she didn't really seem that strong in this series and the other incarnations of her were always ready to kick ass. Anyways, totally awesome, thanks for your hard work. Now I want to see an animated version of this series.
Soldat Veritas
zeta_gundam
Save the life
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

"When I put this into QC, like 5 people jumped on top of it and had it done by the end of the night. Yeah, these guys like Cutie Honey"

ROFL. :lol: :lol: :lol:
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I kind of felt like the point of this backstory was to show waht a poignant character Doctor Kisaragi was. In the TV series he's just this faceless monster. I guess it helps that Go Nagai looks like someone's kindly old grandpa
William_Duel

Post by William_Duel »

I kind of felt like the point of this backstory was to show waht a poignant character Doctor Kisaragi was. In the TV series he's just this faceless monster. I guess it helps that Go Nagai looks like someone's kindly old grandpa

This special is now several times more awesome.

I doubt they'll ever go into it, but I wonder about Panther Claw's origins.
Soldat Veritas
blackv8
Adventure
Favorite series: Kikaida
Dreamy: Jennifer Connelly

Post by blackv8 »

takenoko wrote:I kind of felt like the point of this backstory was to show waht a poignant character Doctor Kisaragi was. In the TV series he's just this faceless monster. I guess it helps that Go Nagai looks like someone's kindly old grandpa
Well.... maybe I'm too western or didactic in my thinking, but in this story, we see:
1. Kisaragi express Alec Baldwin-like disdain for his daughter, culminating in her death due to his reckless negligence.
2. In self-pity, he decides to replace his daughter with a "perfect" daughter who will never leave him. Me, me, me.
3. He murders the parents of Miki, installs fake memories and a faulty system in her, and then schemes to kill her when her (his) imperfection is evident.
4. He murders Yuki's parents, ditto Miki's experiences, but decides to give her a robot family when she is starting to fail.

I'm just glad Miki bisected his spleen before he was able to sell his inventions (Giant airborne stone hand of death, anyone?) to arms dealers (or Dick Cheney!).

No longer faceless, but definitely a monster.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Well, I think it put a human face to the monster. It wasn't just a black and white thing anymore now that we see his side of things

Anyway, he had no idea his daughter snuck into his lab, you can hardly blame him for his daughter's actual death
alamorules
7X
Favorite series: Too many
Dreamy: ??????
Favorite Actor?: None
Favorite Band: ????
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Post by alamorules »

This is the first story were Honey's father is selfish. All the others are about the love for his daugther. She died on the other stories from a car accident, or like in one, he gave her the choker with the powers to shield her from harm (Phanter Claw).

Saka Yuura
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: Kuuga
Dreamy: Kanbe Miyuki...RIP
Favorite Actor?: None...really
Favorite Band: None
My boom: Decade

Post by Saka Yuura »

Wow...I never thought I had seen Taiga before. But now that I see Hayami=Taiga just creeps me out. *shivers*
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

He was also Tsubasa/WhiteKnight in the Garo 'movie'.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
blackv8
Adventure
Favorite series: Kikaida
Dreamy: Jennifer Connelly

Post by blackv8 »

takenoko wrote:Anyway, he had no idea his daughter snuck into his lab, you can hardly blame him for his daughter's actual death
Most parents understand that a powerful energy experiment that can disintegrate any matter that comes into contact with it would be a questionable risk to have around their children... I'm just saying. And to turn it on without bothering to look and make sure the area is clear? I guarantee that would be found negligent in the real world. I like employing suspension of disbelief to believe that man can fly or we might come into contact with advanced alien civilizations, but suspending disbelief to accept character behavior that can only be attributed to sloppy writing/thinking does get old. I do prefer the more benevolent Kisaragi of earlier Cutey Honey interpretations, but since the Miki arc and character was pretty much my favorite part of this series, it would have been hard to have that without Dr. K being a somewhat malevolent bastard.
William_Duel

Post by William_Duel »

Ya know, I'm probably reading way too much into this but I almost see a real life parallel to go nagai here, except for the malevolent bastard part, I don't know what Mr. Nagai is like in real life. But hey, we have Go Nagai is basically daddy to an artificial creation (Cutey Honey franchise). So I dunno, in a way I saw the special as a way of saying, "Thanks Go Nagai for making Cutey Honey. Even if you killed a few people in the process, it was good."

On a more malevolent (that's a great word) note, I think Miki's head should have been put on a pike and crazy people swinging it around. Not that I hate Miki, she's my favorite, but the parallels would have been even more obvious...
Soldat Veritas
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

The guy kidnaps and brain washes girls, creates matter out of the air, and creates an android, and your "breaks the suspension of disbelief" moment is that his daughter was able to sneak into his lab? I just don't agree that you're claim that the writing is sloppy is well supported
William_Duel

Post by William_Duel »

The guy kidnaps and brain washes girls, creates matter out of the air, and creates an android, and your "breaks the suspension of disbelief" moment is that his daughter was able to sneak into his lab? I just don't agree that you're claim that the writing is sloppy is well supported
Yeah...I have to say, the floating rock hand is probably what I think is the biggest stretch, just cuz he's able to kill two people and spare the third one with just a finger...somehow... And how is a giant floating rock hand useful scientifically? Actually I could think of a few ways, he probably didn't though...
Soldat Veritas

Return to “Cutie Honey”