Man, Miki is a tragic character from beginning to end
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: Cutie Honey 21 released

Post by Saejima Kouga »

This episode is probably the most tragic yet.

Spoiler
I hope that some how Miki gets revived!

I'm seriously ready for them to STOP reviving Watari. It's getting old.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
PhoenixBlade
Kamen Knight
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by PhoenixBlade »

Nice exposition, but still. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Spoiler
I seriously agree. Bring Miki back not wataru :(
Farr
7X
Favorite series: Blade / Deka
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim~W / Shinken
Dreamy: Umeko / Hana
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Farr »

Well, if it were the Real Wataru, it would be nice anyway, but not that "Sorry-Cyborg-Freak" ^^"

But still i dont get one thing right...
Spoiler
Why does Dr.Kisaragi, had to insert an ASD into Miki and Yuki, to replace his Daughter, why not just erase there Memories, i mean was his real Daughter some Kind of Mutant? cÖ
densetsu_x
7X

Post by densetsu_x »

I'm a little late to the party. I tried watching episode 1 way back and frankly, I hated it. But having both Den-O and Gekiranger ending and Kiva leaving me a bit disappointed so far (and really having 0 interest in Go-Onger), I went looking for something "new". And that's when I found... Garo! Well, after completely enjoying that bit of excellence, I came back to give Cutie Honey another try. Still didn't like the first episode that much, but with 19 more now complete, I at least could sit through give the series a try. Well by the 4th or 5th episode (yes, the arrival of Miki) I was sufficiently hooked (and it was made all more enjoyable by the fact that I could catch the Garo references).

For some reason this series reminded me a lot of the "Batman" TV show from the 60's. We had the "rotating villain" as to who would be the main threat to the heroes, the really campy scenes, and well, all we needed were the screens that went *BOFF* *KE-RUNCH* *BAM*.

Then came Episode 21.

Spoiler
And damn if Miki was in a no win situation. It would be like Robin going homicidal on Batgirl (yes Yuki, you are nothing more than a sidekick and a pretty crappy one at that). Miki's facial expressions are beautifully emotive as to how she is feeling (and major props to Ayame for portraying her so well that way with minimal dialogue for the most part). From the "oh crap" look to when she realized Yuki heard everything to the calm acceptance that "you will never be the one to kill me" look she had right before... well, that rather spectacularly gruesome end (hope you like seeing what's in store your you Yuki! Psychopathic nutcase... *ahem*). Plus just the fact that Miki willed herself to Flash to save Honey even knowing that it would likely kill her was pretty epic onto itself. Regardless what else happens for the rest of the series, if they bring her back somehow or not, this truly was Miki's finest moment.

For Farr - all we know is that his daughter died. I don't think they ever explained how she died and honestly I wouldn't be surprised if he did try to slip her Honey System or some early variation which ended up killing her.
blazin
Go Go!

Post by blazin »

NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

My favourite character died....T_T
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>I'm a little late to the party. I tried watching episode 1 way back and frankly, I hated it.

Yeah, the first couple of episodes with just Honey by herself left me unsure of how I felt about the series. It was kind of wacky, had some comedy, and the action was excellent, but where was the substance? And then...

>Well by the 4th or 5th episode (yes, the arrival of Miki) I was sufficiently hooked

Yes, Miki. She brought to the show an interesting character, a little mystery and secret going on, and just made the story a whole lot more compelling. And while we enjoyed Honey, Yuki, and the villain's silly hijinx, we always came back for more because we knew that Miki was hiding something, and we wanted to know what that was.

Spoiler
>Regardless what else happens for the rest of the series, if they bring her back somehow or not, this truly was Miki's finest moment.

Agreed. You'd think I'd be more upset that my favorite character in the show just died. Maybe it was just the person Miki was, she was a strong person who had accepted her fate. I admit that I was shocked when she spit out the green stuff, but I recovered quickly, because it was something that I think we all knew was going to happen.

This is why she's always so distant with people, because she knew that she didn't have much time left. The perfect tragic heroine, always doing things for others while suffering for it by herself.

Did anyone else notice that the ending was in black in white this time?
densetsu_x
7X

Post by densetsu_x »

Yes I did notice and it was fitting.

Spoiler
The other thing about Miki was that she seemed to genuinely like and care for Honey. While I won't say she quickly warmed up to her, Honey was the one person she did go the extra mile for (even when she absolutely hated the idea like well, just about everything that happened during the dating party). In the end she seemed to genuinely have that 1 happy moment (watching Honey and Nacchan mend their friendship) and would probably even consider Honey to be her 1 true friend.

Miki was probably the one character that showed the most growth and depth.
Wyvern
7X
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Wyvern »

I didn't think they were up to Ep22 in Japan already.

Please don't talk about episode 22 in the EPISODE 21 thread
Sho-saka
NagoSan
Favorite series: Zero Punctuation
Dreamy: You tell me...
Favorite Actor?: Sato Takeru-san
Favorite Band: Erm...any?
My boom: Away with the faerys

Post by Sho-saka »

NNNNNNNNNnnnoooooooooooooooooo!!!

MIKI!!! ; ___ ; Why?! God, why?! She was my favourite character out of the whole Cutie Honey THE LIVE ones (well, there's the villains, but I'll leave it)! Too bad that Yuki got her revenge robbed, despite her tragic past that her real parents were killed.

Spoiler
And God, I never knew Professor Kisaragi was such an arsehole and obssessive around his late daughter. No wonder he turned Miki and Yuki into Honeys (anyone feeling it reminds you of the Showa Kamen Rider shows, as well as THE FIRST and THE NEXT when it comes to 'transformation'?) and then never cared about those two after he created Honey.
Honoo
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by Honoo »

A wonderful episode and despite my favorite character death, I'm not upset. Ok, maybe just a bit. Probably because Miki's death arrives when she has "finished" all her duties (i.e. telling Honey about Kisaragi's madness). She could have done much more things (if she had more time), but killing her now, the writers didn't leave some untied knots (as the Geki ones did with Mele/Rio's deaths). A beautiful and tragic ending.

She also got a last laugh at Yuki:
Y: "I'll kill you to avenge my father"
M: "No thanks, I'll die before you can"
And then she showed Yuki her fate.
I love psychological cruelty, especially when the villains are the targets. I can't wait to see Yuki dieing, with lots of teddy bears of doom coming out of her body... :twisted:

Almost forgot: Watari, you were a great villain (when you were alive), you came back to life twice. It's enough. You've done your job. Now stay in that big pile of scrap metal and wait to be recycled. But after being killed (again) in this episode he didn't exploded. I fear this is not the last we see of him.
ImageImageImageImage
blackv8
Adventure
Favorite series: Kikaida
Dreamy: Jennifer Connelly

Post by blackv8 »

Spoiler
AAAAIIIIIIEEEEE!!!!!

MY MIKI!!!!

Damn that Kisaragi and his giant stone hand!

While all of the comments as to why it was inevitable are logical and well spoken, I will nonetheless continue to hope for Miki to return.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Off topic: Ha, your rank matches your profile. That's awesome.
Warrior of Zarona
!Wizards
!Wizards

Post by Warrior of Zarona »

Farr wrote:
Spoiler
Why does Dr.Kisaragi, had to insert an ASD into Miki and Yuki, to replace his Daughter, why not just erase there Memories, i mean was his real Daughter some Kind of Mutant? cÖ

Spoiler
It's probably because he was a mad scientist and just went further with it. If not just a daughter, why not an improved with one special capabilities?

This episode came as a shock. Miki is by far my favorite character, and watching the end made my heart stop. Cutie Honey is no joke, folks.
tusaboss2
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa

Post by tusaboss2 »

Well, I think that, having to replace his daughter, Dr. Kisanagi put the ASD in the two girl to give them an immortal body. You know, so he won't lose his daughter again. After all, we have seen many times that the ASD allows Honey to regenerate. This could also explain why he built an android after the two human girls: in the worst case, Honey can be repaired again and again.

As for Yuki, I feel that after these revelations our image of her has to change too...I mean, she was kidnapped and brainwashed by Dr. Kisanagi, so her insane obsession with dad and her being nuts is not really her fault.

At least, I think this was Miki's feeling, otherwise she wouldn't have cared about letting Yuki know the truth about her real parents and Dr. Kisanagi. I felt no mockery when Miki apologized for dying before Yuki could revenge her father, I think her pity for her was genuine.

Anyway this is a really good series, with great writers...

Return to “Cutie Honey”