< GekiRanger | Go-Onger | Shinkenger >
pinchekame
7X
Favorite series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: Mele
Favorite Band: Doco

A little of the halfway mark...

Post by pinchekame »

We are well into the latter half of Go-onger's season, and unfortunately I've found myself a bit disappointed...After being glued to every episode of Gekiranger, I was certain that the writer's would put some spell-binding effect on this season's story.

I have read numerous posts of people hoping that Go-onger would get some sort of a serious plot, and I have silently agreed.

Sure I have laughed,

Sure I have been entertained,

Sure I have enjoyed the lighter humorous tone of the series,

but somehow I've wanted something more...

Maybe that's too much to expect from a kids show, but that's Gekiranger's fault for having such great story development...

Oh well, I thought I'd add my two yen's worth ^_^
zeta_gundam
Save the life
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Re: A little of the halfway mark...

Post by zeta_gundam »

I agree with you totally man. My two cents take on this:

Sure, there are funny moments that made me laugh. Sure the characters are retarded enough at times.

But what this series really lacked is a proper storyline. I can't really see where the series is going. Let's look at the storyline. All I can say is that it has a basic plot - baddies from another dimension crash into earth to pollute it, good guys come from another dimension and grant powers to humans to fight baddies. 31 episodes (in Japan that is), and still no proper baddie? Hiramekimedes was a good baddie that I felt deserved more air time. The three ministers in my opinion are pure crap. I mean we see the same in every episode since the start, the three ministers make a monster to destroy the earth. That's why I felt that the 'Hiramekimedes goes crazy' part could have been better developed, and stretched. Also, the royal family (the one that chases the water pollution minister) could have made a viable sub-plot as well, but everything was concluded in what... 2 episodes?

I mean in terms of character development, what do we see?

Let's first consider Hiroto. When he first appears, he had the high and mighty attitude that defined him. In episode 29 (the one where Go-Roader GT is first used), he suddenly seems more friendly towards the Go-onger. Sure the few episodes from his debut does serve as a form of 'development', but I feel that him losing the 'high and mighty' attitude being equivalent to him losing his character itself.

Now let's consider the other good guys... They have developments? I feel that the main 5 didn't actually have serious developments. Rather, I see spoofs and jokes in every episode. Same goes for Miu. Her 'I'm better than you guys' attitude changed overnight in one episode after hanging out with Saki. Such developments are too 'sudden' for me.

The 3 ministers didn't change... AT ALL. Brainless in the beginning, and still brainless. I mean look at episode 29, Yogostein wanting to fight alone could have actually been another interesting plot line. I can well imagine another 10 epsiodes or so that shows Yogostein fighting alone. Fine, at the end of the day, episode 29 seems to be bringing across the message of 'working together'. But in terms of story development and character changes, it doesn't help.
--------

Off course, we seem to be forgetting that this is a kid's show. After all it's targetted at kid aged 12 and under kinda thingy... But yeah, if Gekiranger could have been so well done, have some dark undertones, and great character development, why can't Go-Onger have it as well? I mean I don't see any real 'baddies' in a sense, and no 'dark undertones' as well.

Again, just my two cents worth. (HA! It's worth more than your two yen.) =P
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

I don't really think Go-Onger is a series that needs a lot of analysis. It kind of is what it is. Enjoy, don't enjoy it, that's about it.
yumenotenshi07
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Fuuma no Kojirou
Dreamy: Yaguruma Sou
Favorite Actor?: Sato Tomohito
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by yumenotenshi07 »

Yeah, pretty much what Take-senpai said. It's one of those love it or hate it series. I just finished Gekiranger a short while ago, and I agree, it had a much stronger storyline. I think Go-Onger is just in it for the lulz, though.

And I kind of like that about it. It's my lighthearted series! Whenever I have a bad week and a new ep of Go-Onger comes out it totally cheers me up. ^^

Flabtastic
It's not even funny
It's not even funny
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Geki Ranger
Favorite Actor?: Yumi Sugumoto

Post by Flabtastic »

well ive gotta say yeh its been to the point where Go-onger just seem to be going everywhere and that it does have such a serious storyline...but then again i think what the producers are trying to do is make it a bit senseless and funny...
Gekiranger had an awesome storyline and i wold rate it as second best after Magiranger and right after them would be Go-onger...i guess this year its just a like or dislike series, well just see what the story line will be next year i sure they will bring the serious "storyline" again
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Post by XIII »

I've enjoyed most of it so far, been several bits that have just been sooo bad that I just fast forwarded parts, but on the whole its a series that I would say to check out just for a bit of a laugh since the show rarely takes itself seriously.

I agree after the greatness of Geki, Go-On has been a bit on the weak side and I do hope they come back with an awesome series next year,
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
goonneyo
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Whoa. Neo is an anagram of One. Whoa
Favorite series: Go-Onger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Band: Project R

Post by goonneyo »

so far its not that bad

but who knows? maybe the director might sneak in a storyline of its own

oh and this is sa great forum by the way :D
monritche
Imouto Rider Club
Imouto Rider Club
Favorite series: KS7, Ultraman, KR
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai Series
Dreamy: Yumi Sugimoto
Favorite Band: Orange Range
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: mouse-clicking

Post by monritche »

I have to agree that story-wise Go-onger doesn't please as I was hoping to be. I was looking forward also for plot directions with Hirakimedes and the Arerunba family as we know made good false teasers.

Anyway since this show is about selling toys (more engines to come) and gattai, as a young at heart this show suffice my sentai-thirst. More importantly,
Spoiler
I get to see Miu every week.
:D Let's just hope next season will be a good one too.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

yumenotenshi07 wrote: And I kind of like that about it. It's my lighthearted series! Whenever I have a bad week and a new ep of Go-Onger comes out it totally cheers me up. ^^
That's what I appreciate about Go-Onger as well. Tokusatsu is a way for me to get in touch with my inner child. I really don't want Super Sentai to take on too many aspects of Kamen Rider and vice versa. Each series has their own strengths and need to stay unique.

I realize that Gekiranger does have a stronger plot but the show didn't fare too well in terms of ratings and merchandise sales compared to previous Super Sentai series. Go-Ongers is a direct response to that troubling trend and has succeeded in sparking the interest of kids in Super Sentai. Go-Ongers is all about getting back to the basics of what made Super Sentai work.
Wyvern
7X
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Wyvern »

The 3 ministers didn't change... AT ALL. Brainless in the beginning, and still brainless. I mean look at episode 29, Yogostein wanting to fight alone could have actually been another interesting plot line. I can well imagine another 10 epsiodes or so that shows Yogostein fighting alone. Fine, at the end of the day, episode 29 seems to be bringing across the message of 'working together'. But in terms of story development and character changes, it doesn't help[quote][/quote]

I agree Yogestien revenge on the Go Onger for killing Hiramechimedes should of gone a little more longer than 1 episode then for him to decide working alone won't accomplish anything. (rollseyes)

It was stupid of him as the leader of the Gaiark to go back to a method that doesn't work. Maybe if Hammer Banki didn't disobey his orders things would have been different..

Return to “Engine Sentai Go-Onger”