Wangan Midnight The Movie

For all those one shots and other miscellany!
Forum rules
Wiki Link
XIII
The Conspiracy
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz - Kab
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Devil Z

Wangan Midnight The Movie

Post by XIII »

Wiki: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Wangan_Midnight

The Devil Z is alive
The Blackbird is alive

These two set out to continue the rivalry that started an old.

How will these two fair on the Wangan?

Tune in to find out.

Staring Zeronos, Drake/V3 and Akiko, probably some other well known faces in there as well.

Big thank you to AsakuraZ for providing us with the lovely Blu-Ray to work from.

Now to make a note about video resolutions.

The movie isnt in the standard 16:9 format that we normally get, but in 2.35:1 (Super Widescreen), so for this we have what seems like strange wrong resolutions, but fear not, they are correct and they are the right ones.

The SD is 800x340, now yes this is over the DVD res limits, but since were encoding from the Blu-Ray we can get away with this (trust me if we were encoding from a DVD it would be much smaller than that)

The HD is 1280x544, now you might think this isnt 720p, but it actually is when the black bars are included, we just crop them out to make it better on the subbing and encoding.

So all in all, we hope you enjoy this movie and our ever expanding realms of work.
Live for the Moment, for the Moment is Eternal!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Wangan Midnight The Movie

Post by takenoko »

Once I realized that this wasn't Initial D, I enjoyed this movie quite a bit (I don't think the result of the races are even mentioned in the movie). It's surprisingly character driven. I guess my main complaint is that the intro takes too long. 45 minutes before the characters actually meet isn't cool, but it's a lot better paced once they do

I kind of wish they didn't have the sub story with Asakura's teacher, it really didn't feel like it amounted to anything in this movie (maybe it's more important later on?). Overall Asakura felt like less of a character and more of a foil for Eriko. Same for Shima and his narration throughout the movie.

Reina was a pretty cool character. It was great at the end when she told off her manager and threw her phone away
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I did like the movie overall which for a race movie, it wasn't about the actual races themselves but the characters instead which is fine by me. Maybe some of the shortcomings that take mention maybe more important in the possible sequel. I didn't really like Eriko that much as she's to me the girl who always sad which gets annoying all the time.

I did like Reina's character myself and wish she had more screen time. When she finally admitted to her manager that she was driving 180 kph on Wangan on the phone was awesome.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I thought Eriko was a more fully formed character than anyone else in the movie though. She had some conflicts and literally has some demons to deal with. Also, she steals Akio's car and jumps out of it. Totally badass
XIII
The Conspiracy

Post by XIII »

I've never seen Initial D, so I had no preconceptions about this, which is always a good way to start a movie, that being said, I enjoyed the movie, it was a nice mix of action and drama, bit slow to get going, but was cool once it did get going.

I agree, jumping out of a run away car was awesome, and then the followed up jump into the car by Askaura from the Blackbird was also cool to see.

The ending was not what I was expecting, which was a nice surprise, it did make me go "what the...." but then you see the last scene after the credits and you kinda understand why, nice that they set up the sequel in such a way, atleast it was pre-thought out and not a botched together job like most sequels.

The whole teacher thing did make me go eh? its sort of like the teacher wants a more close relationship with Askaura, which is strange, and a teacher taking an interest in your personal life, very strange indeed.

Reina scores extra points for driving a GT-R,

Nice selection of cars overall,

I did enjoy working on this movie from the ripping to timing to typesetting and the marathon encoding XD
I look forward to a sequel should there be one later down the line, I hope there is, it deserves a complete ending.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, one of the QCers was vehemently angry about the ending, which is understandable. I kind of didn't get what happened to be honest. I suppose it was kind of disappointing that they set you up to root for Asakura to be beat his rival, and he just crashes three for three. Hopefully explanations in the sequel
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Asakura is still quite young compared to Shima who has been driving for more years than he has. I would think that Shima's bond with the Blackbird is deeper than Asakura's bond with Devil Z. It would take some more time for Asakura to completely master Devil Z to the point like Shima has with the Blackbird.
zhangfei923
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

Post by zhangfei923 »

This is sweet! I still play the games at the arcade around here.
DrinkItDown
RYUKI TARDFACE
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Faiz
Dreamy: Faiz Bar Tender chic
Favorite Band: L'Arc en Ciel
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Cars i suppose

Post by DrinkItDown »

Ok, where to begin...

Thanks TVN as usual, like I said before, I was more excited for this project than any other before.

That said, the movie has some issues...

They left out some story elements, but what they left out was pretty irrelevant anyway. My main issues are with some of the technical moments. For example, that first shot of the engine after they get it running again. They show a regular carbureted NA L series engine, and the motor is supposed to be a twin turbo L28, with a blow-through carburetor setup. There was also some cheesy Fast and the Furious 20x shifting moments that kind of took me out of the movie at times. They also said that the car had slotted brake rotors, when it had standard vented rotors.

Its hard not to nitpick stuff like this when they are zooming on the pieces they are talking about and lieing about it the entire time.

Throwing all that stuff out though, the movie is pretty good. Zeronos makes a good Akio, and Drake makes a good Shima.

Who knows, maybe you guys will pursue subbing the Anime or even the nineties Wangan Midnight movies.
Old school TVN member
formerly FA|RokkumanEXE
Nomake Wan
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Natsuki Sasahara
Favorite Actor?: Sean Connery
Favorite Band: EXIT TRANCE
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Henshin Belts

Post by Nomake Wan »

I'd like to begin by starting with saying thanks for releasing a bluray rip of the movie. I've got the DVD, and the bluray looks way better. I'll go ahead and ignore the 'problems' with the movie because frankly, this movie's a hell of a lot better than the original from 1991. That one bored me to tears. At least this one was fun, technical inaccuracies aside.

However, the subs are... eh. Let's just start with the first five minutes.

@3:28
Line: Sono kuruma to unmei wo tomo ni shita mono wa, sono jubaku kara wa issho tokihanatareru koto wa nai.
Means: "Those who share a fate with that car are unable to escape its curse for the rest of their lives.
Sub: Those who share fates with that car are unable to shake if off until he destroys himself.
QC: While the meaning here is at least close, the grammar is way off. "Those who" doesn't match "he destroys himself." It's awkwardly written, but passable I guess.

@3:59
Line: Kyou nante mada osaeteru hou da ze.
Means: Today he's still holding back, you know!
Sub: Let's not go home yet.
QC: ...what?! Wait...what!?

@4:02
Line: Onna notteke kara.
Means: 'Cause he's got chicks in the car.
Sub: We can go to Oozuna.
QC: I'm sorry, but what the heck?

@4:14
Line: Shikaketara yarukkya nee jan.
Means: If he's challenged he has to go for it!
Sub: He's good when he does it.
QC: Missing the point...

@4:20
Line: Saigo ni pittari yoko ni tsukette aitsu no kao gandara sa, sore ga gakuen shunin no senkou de sa!
Meaning: At the end they were perfectly side-by-side and he went to glare at the other guy's face, and it was one of the teachers on the senior staff at school!
Sub: In the end he got his face captured by a traffic camera. That's a stain on his school record.
QC: Not. Even. Close.

And that's in the first five minutes only. What happened, here? I watch your Kamen Rider stuff and I don't think I've ever seen that many mistakes in 'em. Is it just because the car/racing content isn't your usual fare?

I'd be willing to help out if you guys are considering a v2 release. Also, according to my sources online, the Bluray was a 1080p encode originally, so you should be able to get it to 1695x720 without losing quality from upscaling if you wanted to. Just a thought.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Some of the conversations were pretty hard to hear with the music going and stuff. I haven't read the manga or seen the anime so apologies if I'm not familiar with the dialogue. The translations should be better once it gets past that scene actually
Nomake Wan
Kamen Knight

Post by Nomake Wan »

A'ight, going back to watching then.
XIII
The Conspiracy

Post by XIII »

Nomake Wan wrote:I'd be willing to help out if you guys are considering a v2 release. Also, according to my sources online, the Bluray was a 1080p encode originally, so you should be able to get it to 1695x720 without losing quality from upscaling if you wanted to. Just a thought.
oh no no no, v1 took long enough to encode

yes the blu-ray is 1080

1695 is not divisible by 16 which is required by x.264

Also that wouldn't be 720p since its wider than the 720p definition, the res we have used is the correct ones to be using for the AR of the video
Nomake Wan
Kamen Knight

Post by Nomake Wan »

Azazel wrote:
Nomake Wan wrote:I'd be willing to help out if you guys are considering a v2 release. Also, according to my sources online, the Bluray was a 1080p encode originally, so you should be able to get it to 1695x720 without losing quality from upscaling if you wanted to. Just a thought.
oh no no no, v1 took long enough to encode

yes the blu-ray is 1080

1695 is not divisible by 16 which is required by x.264

Also that wouldn't be 720p since its wider than the 720p definition, the res we have used is the correct ones to be using for the AR of the video
Oh crap, I forgot completely about the /16 requirement, you're absolutely right. Disregard that. Wow, I'm on a roll today. :oops:

And so far yeah the subs did improve, with errors usually showing up when the music got louder (such as rebuiliding the Z).
大変身
Save the life
Favorite Actor?: Nobuyuki Hiyama

Post by 大変身 »

(.^-')b <(good job on this release)

Although I usually don't watch the racing kind of movies and only seen two (Wangan Midnight and Initial D Live), I did enjoy this movie

Surprising how persistent Asakura is on Z, even after getting it destroyed at the end, he decides to rebuild it once again

Eriko is also in Kamen Rider the First, Samurai High School, and Maou

also, is Rumi (teacher) from one of the Kamen Rider W episodes?
Last edited by 大変身 on Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twitter
iamawesome.com

Return to “Other Projects”