Garo Full Series and Movie Discussion

Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Garo Full Series and Movie Discussion

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Where there is light, shadows lurk and fear reigns. Yet by the blade of knights, man kind was given hope!

GARO was quite possibly the best of the best when it comes to tokusatsu. It tells the story of a young man whose name is Saejima Kouga, and his mission to defend our world from the evil of the horrors--beasts that feed on humans.

Let the discussion begin!
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
ShinmeiSuzaku
Robo's Birthday

Post by ShinmeiSuzaku »

It is a great series and a personal favorite.
I love the characters, the conflicts.
Kouga was the perfect Anti-Hero IMO, but I wanted to see him smile!
I made 2 MV's for Garo, but only have one on Veoh currently.
Check it out if you want
Though I like my other one better.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.

Post by Saejima Kouga »

ShinmeiSuzaku wrote:Kouga was the perfect Anti-Hero IMO, but I wanted to see him smile!
Anti-Hero? He was the one who hunted and killed most of the horrors to protect people. Are you sure you know what "anti-" means?
I tried checking out the video, but it keeps loading and nothing happens. I'll probably have to try again tomorrow I guess. :(
ShinmeiSuzaku
Robo's Birthday

Post by ShinmeiSuzaku »

Sasuke from Naruto is an Anti-Hero to me
and I see Kouga as somewhat close to that nature.
He's somewhat anti-social, and seemed more of the type that in a normal story would play rival to the hero and the villain.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Anti-social, I'll give you. Anti-hero? Definitely not. He was cool, calm, collected, bad attitude most of the time, but that's because as a real hero he carries the weight of the world on his shoulders. And for his line of work, you can't just let anyone know about this stuff. More people involved = more trouble. That's a given in any show. It was sort of like why make friends when you might lose them and/or have to continually lie to them?
ShinmeiSuzaku
Robo's Birthday

Post by ShinmeiSuzaku »

Taiga was a better Hero than Kouga was. I guess it was refreshing that Kouga didnt live in his father's shadow like most other characters, but his fathers death affected him too greatly...
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

ShinmeiSuzaku wrote:Taiga was a better Hero than Kouga was. I guess it was refreshing that Kouga didnt live in his father's shadow like most other characters, but his fathers death affected him too greatly...
And how do you gather that? We know really little about Taigaa to be honest. He was GARO before Kouga, and he was killed by his friend who later became Kiba. And how does Taigaa's death affect him too greatly in a negative way (which is how you're making it sound)? Because of that, Kouga strived harder to obtain the power of GARO and was even able to defeat those that his father before him couldn't.
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Post by Silentwolfdog »

Kouga is not anti-hero to me. Zero is more of anti-hero. He only wanted revenge in the beginning.

I thought anti-hero means someone who don't want to do heroic thing but ending up doing it often for different reasons.

Sesshomaru of InuYasha is anti-hero. Even Ryuutaros of Kamen Rider acts more like anti-hero in the beginning.

I guess everyone interprets it differently.

I do agree, I wish I could see him smile. I think he did at one point. But I guess it won't be Garo if he did.
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai
ShinmeiSuzaku
Robo's Birthday

Post by ShinmeiSuzaku »

Well, there was the slight flashbacks we got of Taiga when Kouga was younger, we saw Taiga as a strong man and a protective father who obviously loved his son. In the Special when Kouga was fighting "Taiga" and delivered the finishing blow, we saw a man show that he was proud of his Son's strength.
Kouga having witnesses his father's death at a young age, would normally make a child grow could. Though its clear he never gave up to pull the sword, his distance from Humanity made Kouga seem really cold until meeting Kaoru. Though I know Kouga grew a lot as a character throughout the series (especially the last episode) he hardly showed emotion, which is something I didnt like, I would've loved to see Kouga express himself a little more.
Bauffie
Save the life
Dreamy: Nakatsu Shuichi
Favorite Actor?: Matsuyama Kenichi
Favorite Band: Gazette
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Hayami's trendy hat

Post by Bauffie »

Kouga never ran away from his fate or duties, well, other than letting Kaoru live. Even so, he protected her until the end and was able to overcome all obstacles to give her freedom. When he went berserked, he was able to revert back to his own self thanks to Rei. He had a purpose and he fought for it. When Taiga died, Kouga didn't run away. Instead, he trained like a mad man to become stronger and stronger. When he had to go through that Makai Knight ordeal thing, he was able to understand his father better. I don't remember seeing Taiga's death affect Kouga negatively. With all that, I don't see where the definition of antihero can be used. o_O
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Beautifully said Silentwolfdog and Bauffie!
Bauffie
Save the life

Post by Bauffie »

I forgot to mention about Tsubasa. 8D I didn't like him that much since he was stuck up most of the time (though I like his earring flapping) but ever since I saw him Cutie Honey, my opinion became biased and I like him a whole lot better now. <3 It's never too late to discover more bishies. LMany lols at his angry face when Jabi forcefully made him boobgrab.
ShinmeiSuzaku
Robo's Birthday

Post by ShinmeiSuzaku »

O'Snap! My other Video has been uploaded
http://www.veoh.com/videos/v1659108aqhBbRfc
Dr. Who 07
Adventure
Favorite series: Geki
2nd Favorite Series: Den-o
Dreamy: Magumi
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dr. Who 07 »

i'm actually downloading garo now
somehow i got pulled away from it when they were first put on but now i'm getting back in to it
Bauffie
Save the life

Post by Bauffie »

Silentwolfdog wrote:Zero is more of anti-hero. He only wanted revenge in the beginning.
I thought anti-hero means someone who don't want to do heroic thing but ending up doing it often for different reasons.
From the meaning of an antihero that I learned(which is based on Otto Rank's), a hero is someone who can erase his origins and authorities to create an identity for himself through an ordeal or a mission. Kouga was able to overthrow his past as in he is no longer affected by the death of his father and he only strived to become stronger. In the end, Kouga has changed quite a bit and he was able to open himself to Kaoru and Rei. That's his new self.

As for Rei, I think he was a hero as well. He kept wanting to kill Garo because his past kept haunting him. However, when he learned the truth, he was able to see Kouga as his equal and he defeated the enemies that reminded him of his past. In the end, he leaves on his bike, saying that Silva is all he need. That scene pretty much shows that he's no longer living in the past and instead, he enjoys the present.

Well... that's how I see it. xD

Return to “Garo Season 1”