Decade/W Movie: Great Rider War 2010

Double your pleasure, double your fun. Spearmint gum.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Decade/W Movie: Great Rider War 2010

Post by takenoko »

I really enjoyed the whole thing. It's really more a three act movie than three movies

I knew Sawai Miyu (Usagi from PGSM) was in the movie, but I didn't know who she was until I looked it up. Can you spot her? Can you also find Kikkawa Kouji, singer for God Speed Love's ending song?

Movie spoilers
Spoiler
I liked Tackle's sub story. It was kind of surprising to see Oikawa Nao as Wasp Lady. Kamen Rider Kivaara had a nice design, and Tsukasa's death was fitting. I bet Cheetah's glad to see Neo Lifeform and Doras back

Loved the part with Wataru playing the fourth-wall breaking narrator. It's obvious to the viewers, but it's kind of nice to know that the characters realize "Oh yeah, the story is just a revisit to these past stories and giving them a new life." Kamen Riders stories and battle go hand-in-hand.

I liked the meta physics too. With memories being represented as cards and life being represented through photos. Sort of like, as long as Kamen Rider exists on video, it will continue to live on. And of course, Tsukasa's resurrection was cool too

W was just a really well put together movie. It had a lot of touching scenes between Shoutarou and Philip, Shoutarou and the Boss. It's all stuff we kind of had some idea about, but it was nice to see how everything actually happened

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied

Stuff worth pointing out:
Spoiler
Because of the explanation of Philip's name, the official spelling has to be based on Philip Marlowe. Phillippe is just a fluke

Looks like All Riders is canon, since W recognizes his previous meeting with Decade

Decade's belt says Kamen Rider W, good to see they spelled that right

I've been sitting on these pictures for months. Thanks for sending them in:
Spoiler
Podima
Militant Deaf Viewer
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Your mother.

Re: Decade/W Movie: Great Rider War 2010

Post by Podima »

Magenta
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Boukenger
Dreamy: Nozama
Favorite Actor?: Takehito Koyasu
Favorite Band: 765 Productions
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Robots. Always.

Post by Magenta »

^^^^^^

It was good, IMO. Our merry little groupwatching party seemed to take issue with the first part for basically being Decade, but I thought it was decent. Certainly, it had a little too many MASSIVE 180s in terms of personalities etc, but in the end it was a nice story. Decade brings resolution to the AUs he's created to allow them to live forever in infamy and then they all kick some butt.

<Yen> yknow, while part 1 was completely retarded, it did have insanely awesome ownage moments
<Laniatus> basically, any time tsukasa was RAPING EVERYONE
<Yen> "WE WILL DEFEAT YOU DECADE" "... *sword form* *TOSS*"

Begin's Night was just all around superb. A great prequel, Soukichi was characterized well, and it's clear they had this really well planned out in terms of how he'd influenced Shoutarou. I felt Phillip's development was - whilst kept fairly succint - really well carried out, and really managed to justify him pulling a massive heel-face turn in very short time.

The finale was mindless action. And for what it was? I felt pretty decent. Maybe a let down after how good Begin's Night was, and maybe just an excuse to show off a few last finishers, but enjoyable. And the ending, with it's further little nice moments and it's uplifting conclusion to Decade was nice.

And man, who is that mysterious man wearing red? Clearly, he is an enigma to us all. None of us know who he is, this new character.
ima sugu shutsudoukable
Podima
Militant Deaf Viewer
My boom: Your mother.

Post by Podima »

To have a bit more of a serious post, I really liked the complete shattering of the fourth wall. Masterfully done, especially with basically blatantly saying 'No, Decade didn't have a story.' Because, really, there was very little overarching story in the entire series. I'm still not a Decade fan, but at least this wrapped it up.
LobsterHime
7X

Post by LobsterHime »

Kamen Rider Kivaara is the best thing to ever come from decade.

Spoiler
i haven't watched the alternate end to decade TV so i don't know how part 1 compares. i thought the movie end was good up until the very gurren lagann-ish death of tsukasa. and then they had to go into the bullshit about bringing him back to life from their memories to fulfill part 3 of the movie. don't get me wrong, i enjoyed the whole movie a lot, but that doesn't excuse the decade parts for being so dumb (even more so than decade TV). i guess decade is my guilty pleasure because in general its so goddamn bad but i still think its my favorite kamen raider series. mass upgrade form (i forget the exact term the driver used) and mass final form ride with each rider FFRing the rider in front of him were awesome.

i've only watched like ep 5-8 or whatever of double so i didn't get everything that was going on in part 2 (mostly just the recurring characters, i guess). i thought it was a very solid story that should have been part of the tv series. i guess the fact that it was just a little too long to be 1 episode and that the rest of the show is in 2-episode arcs kind of made it hard to fit in. i've been reading a lot about double in the past week and watching this really makes me want to continue the series. (/me shakes fist at podima and yen)

not much to say about part 3. the intro was pretty awesome. i liked how they drew parallels between resurrected tsukasa's memories and double respecting the memories of their boss. it was touching how decade gave double the kamen rider skull card (i noticed it earlier in the movie and was wondering what he was gonna do with it). Cyclonecyclone and Jokerjoker were awesome. It was nice seeing the real versions after experiencing the teasers from the ganbaride commercials.

EDIT: removed some text to avoid pre-emptive butthurt.
Last edited by LobsterHime on Sun May 23, 2010 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Magenta
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Boukenger
Dreamy: Nozama
Favorite Actor?: Takehito Koyasu
Favorite Band: 765 Productions
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Robots. Always.

Post by Magenta »

Don't worry. The 'alternate ending' to the TV series doesn't replace part 1 of this, it just sets up for it better. All the shit they set up in the original ending - and advertised in the trailer - DOESN'T ACTUALLY HAPPEN. So it was basically a rewrite and reworking of the ending to actually segue into Final Chapter more easily.

Hooray. ~_~
ima sugu shutsudoukable
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

OMG RIDERGASM

God I loved this movie. Maybe it was the fact that Decade was finally making some vague sort of sense, maybe it was that there's FINALLY another female rider (still movie-only *sigh*) or maybe it was that W's story totally blew me away.

Oh, and the final Rider kick. So. Fucking. Awesome.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

It was a very good movie for Decade and awesome for W. There was something that annoyed me about Decade's movie but I will talk about the good things first. They finally gave Narutaki more of a role besides saying Decade is causing more chaos. Natsumi not being useless and actually kicking ass as Kamen Rider Kivarra was good.

I really do like the W part as it gives Shoutarou a different look as he was more like a boy than a man (especially with the pants shorts). I hope that the people out there who keep mentioning that Shoutarou needs some character development will finally shut up about it. Akiko's dad was the man but I didn't like the hat being on when he was Kamen Rider Skull. I like the added touch of development with Philip even though it was more about Shoutarou. The Dummy Dopant used his powers in a clever way but I don't quite get is how he know about Akiko's dad or even how he acts.

The thing about the Decade movie is that they should be a better transition from the end of the TV series to the start of the movie. I wanted to see why Decade left Natsumi at the end of the TV series before he goes off and becomes the destroyer. Tackle's story was just oddly put into it. I would prefer if her story was more fleshed out like her first meeting with Tsukasa.
lonegamer7
Save the life
Favorite series: Transformers
2nd Favorite Series: Mythbusters

Post by lonegamer7 »

Phoenix512 wrote:The Dummy Dopant used his powers in a clever way but I don't quite get is how he know about Akiko's dad or even how he acts.
You'd be amaze at how much you can find out after a LOT of research. A lot of things we do are out of habit and we don't consciously notice it, whereas an outsider would be more likely to notice it if they use good observation. But yeah, doesn't answer the question of how he knew about Soukichi being able to transform into Skull. Unless, one of the Dummy Dopant's passive powers is drawing it from the memories of the person who is connected to whoever he's mimicking...
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

The best thing about the movie for me is Skull. Fedora wearing Kamen Rider = WIN. /me stabs Phoenix for not liking the fedora.

Decade finally makes some sense, though it's still just a big mess, but it's sophisticated mess. I doubt I'm making sense here but heck.

The two worlds combining thing at the third act was really a 'eh, okay, that was random' moment.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Do CycloneCyclone and JokerJoker count as seperate forms? I think that'd put W over Kuuga.

The thing that ticks me off about this is the trailer at the end of Decade 31. In this movie, I saw no Narutaki on Decades back, no Natsumi with a gun, no Kuuga holding an exploding Diend, no evil Tsukasa on the beach. Did they realise that the Decade series made no sense, decide to make a movie at the last minute and throw together a half assed trailer?
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Catastrophe wrote:Did they realise that the Decade series made no sense, decide to make a movie at the last minute and throw together a half assed trailer?
While I can't vouch for the trailer, I'm sure the movie was planned well in advance.
Skiks
Faiz

Post by Skiks »

Who knows maybe the directors cut will somehow include all those little scenes we missed.
That Guy
Save the life
Favorite series: Gurren-Lagann
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Ozu Urara
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa Shigeki
Favorite Band: Disturbed
My boom: Gurren-Lagann

Post by That Guy »

Catastrophe wrote:Do CycloneCyclone and JokerJoker count as seperate forms? I think that'd put W over Kuuga.
I'd say not, as they can't be accessed on their own. And quite frankly, they defeat the purpose of W. ^^ I don't think any FFRs qualify as real forms for their respective riders.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

To be honest, I kind of feel like the mix and match of W's 6 basic GaiaMemories only count as six and not nine. Like CycloneJoker and CycloneTrigger are different forms, but I wouldn't say he has nine forms when comparing it to other Riders, it just seems kind of cheaty

I should go back and watch the trailer, since I didn't pay too much attention to it before. It'd be hilarious if it was just footage that was never meant to be used

Kids, sometimes adults lie to you. That's okay if it's funny

Return to “Kamen Rider W”