KR W 36 released

Double your pleasure, double your fun. Spearmint gum.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR W 36 released

Post by takenoko »

Okay Japan, are stop lights green or blue? Stop being confusing about this matter:
Spoiler
Super short Japanese review: Ao in Japanese usually means blue, sometimes means green

Here's the back story: So back when we translated Galaxy Force, someone noted that we translated a stop light as blue or green. Or at least there was some contention about it. It really was unclear who was right, even with the DVD footage

Then the Chou Den-O promo with the red, yellow, blue remark. I asked Luna who lives in Japan and checked Google Image for the Japanese word for stop light, and all the colors are green
http://portal.nifty.com/cs/catalog/port ... 0509099530
http://ganref.jp/m/walkman/portfolios/p ... 945df86e2c
I mean, that's green right? I'm not just being color blind, right?

Anyway, shouldn't Trial be green?

Anyway, I like Accel's new look. Definitely a lot more sleek looking, better colors (always felt that the red was gaudy) The new mask is cool in that it kind of looks like a motorcycle helmet (still don't care for the giant A in it, plus the mouthpiece is weird). I never noticed this before, but is that thing on Accel's right breast a fuel tank cap? I always thought it was a badge or something since he's a cop, but I guess not...

On to the episode:
Spoiler
Anyway, great episode. Shit's going down with the Sonozaki family. Weather's finally defeated and Accel has avenged his family. Overall, it's a good day to be a good guy

So... what are they going to do now that the biggest villain in the series is defeated? Remember a good toku story is only as good as its best antagonist

lonegamer7
Save the life
Favorite series: Transformers
2nd Favorite Series: Mythbusters

Re: KR W 36 released

Post by lonegamer7 »

takenoko wrote:Okay Japan, are stop lights green or blue? Stop being confusing about this matter:
Spoiler
Super short Japanese review: Ao in Japanese usually means blue, sometimes means green

Here's the back story: So back when we translated Galaxy Force, someone noted that we translated a stop light as blue or green. Or at least there was some contention about it. It really was unclear who was right, even with the DVD footage

Then the Chou Den-O promo with the red, yellow, blue remark. I asked Luna who lives in Japan and checked Google Image for the Japanese word for stop light, and all the colors are green
http://portal.nifty.com/cs/catalog/port ... 0509099530
http://ganref.jp/m/walkman/portfolios/p ... 945df86e2c
I mean, that's green right? I'm not just being color blind, right?

Anyway, shouldn't Trial be green?
Just to clear up for others that might bring up the "blue/green" argument:
Spoiler
When Japan brought over the kanji for "ao" from China, they used it to mean BOTH "green" and "blue" for a good while until they started using the kanji "midori" for "green". A holdover of that conundrum/tic results in seeing blue in a traffic light on Japanese driving manuals or almost any illustration that's not a photograph. In short, we did not screw up. So nyeh. ;P

And I think they're using "ao" because it's short and matches the pacing of "aka" and "kiiro", as "midori" would've broken the flow.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

From the Japanese wiki on stoplights: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%BF%A1% ... 7%E6%A9%9F
Spoiler
日本では緑色表示を「緑信号」ではなく「青信号」と呼ぶ表現が社会的に定着してしまった。これは戦前、信号機が日本に初めて導入された際、マスメディアが「緑信号」を「青信号」と表現したことによるものであるが、背景としては一般的に赤・青・黄色が色の三原色としてよく理解されていることに加え、漢字の「青」は「green」と「blue」を厳密に区別しないが「green」を意味する語が多いため、日本人は「緑色」を「青色」と表現することがあるという点が挙げられる。第二次大戦までの法令では「緑信号」と記していたが、第二次大戦後の1947年に、法令でも「青信号」に変更した。

Basically the distinction for ao between blue and green wasn't as strict before WWII, so when they introduced stoplights, they called it red blue and yellow because those are the primary colors. Bizarrely enough, apparently the records say it was called a green light before WWII, but because of a rise of Japanese attributed ao to green, in 1947 they officially made it a blue light, even though the color is actually green...

They probably kept it blue because it's a good color and it's the primary colors (still a show for young people) But it's really disconcerting when they use the word ao/blue when it's obviously not the color blue. Like in the Den-O promo, you won't see an actual traffic light be blue. And Trial should be green if his colors are themed after a traffic light, not the word they attribute to the color green
Magenta
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Boukenger
Dreamy: Nozama
Favorite Actor?: Takehito Koyasu
Favorite Band: 765 Productions
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Robots. Always.

Post by Magenta »

I wonder if Accel Yellow Form(TM) will actually get used. Seems a shame to make such a nice costume just as a transition.

So what have we learned? Well, Shroud is a massive troll. Narutaki's legacy lives on in terms of being a mysterious cunt through Shroud, and that's all for the best.

And man, I fucking love that terrible jumpcut when Weather explodes. He just goddamn vanishes for like half a second before the explosion goes off five feet to his right. Great editing work there I have to say.
ima sugu shutsudoukable
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Looks like Saeko should start running now since her creepy boyfriend suffered a horrible death. She needs to find some serious support if she's going to take over Museum or even to survive for that matter.

I like Trial's Maximum Drive. There's nothing like pummeling the enemy with 100s of hits before going up in a massive explosion. I wonder if there's a vehicle mode with Trial since there are still wheels on the suit. I like the part that Shoutarou and Philip didn't jump in as W. They realized that this was something that Terui needed to do alone and gave him the trust to be able to master Trial's Maximum Drive.

As for Shroud, she has definitely some hidden motives and thought processes. I think she doesn't have the best interest of Shoutarou, Philip, and Terui when she doles out her tech. She wanted Terui to be consumed by hatred even though protecting a person is better and won't destroy you in the process. She probably doesn't do it for the good of people but her own interest which at this point is anyone's guess.
demino555
7X
Favorite series: Kamen rider AGITO
2nd Favorite Series: kamen rider W
Dreamy: Natsumikan
Favorite Band: J-rock
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: nasuverse
Quote: "Do you have the courage to ride with the devil?"

Post by demino555 »

I don't know why but accel trial kind of pulled my hopes down. Seriously, Machine Gun Spike sounded so cool on paper. Hope it grows on me.

Good episode. Why? Cause I can see Saeko run for her life when she's usually in control :lol:

Isaka dying is a great loss, he could have had a more epic final battle than this
My power is EXTREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEME!
Skiks
Faiz

Post by Skiks »

Magenta wrote: And man, I fucking love that terrible jumpcut when Weather explodes. He just goddamn vanishes for like half a second before the explosion goes off five feet to his right. Great editing work there I have to say.
It's a throw back to how the Showa era exploded their bad guys. Other Showa refrences this episodes includes the boulder punching training and just the training in general to get stronger. Something we haven't had since Hibiki.
Looks like thanks to Accel Trial's Hokuto Shinken, it caused Weather to be already dead.
m4rc0
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Quote: Hit the beat, keep your beat
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by m4rc0 »

I was expecting more of Trial's powers. He is just a lot faster. On the other hand, the suit is much cooler than Accel's original suit.

Man, they ruined Saeko. And not because she was shaving Shinkuro. They made her fall from cold and ruthless villain to a sad little girl that hates her daddy because he loves her sister more and that gets together with a guy that is an antagonist of the father just to piss him off... That little romantic scene was also a bit off. I didn't buy Shinkuro having feelings...

Nagi was cute.

I think that Shinkuro said that to them because in the end they are all being used in Shroud's revenge against the Sonozaki. Or maybe she wants the museum for herself.

W is at the point that the MOTW and the 2 episode arcs are starting to tire us. And since they don't do twists like they did in the beginning, we're having a slow mid-series. I have high hopes for the next arc though.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

This is dumb. Accel trial form is blatantly advertisement for the Trilogy. The colours are the same on the light and movies. If I listen to Momo, does that mean that I have to think about more friggen Den-O every time Accel changes into trial.

On a more serious note, I find the concept kind of bland. Super fast rider form with some gimmick about 10 seconds? Had that before.

Also, Isaka feeling emotion? Does this make him human? Was this what caused him to loose? Who gives a crap, creepy, lip licking bastard is dead, all is well.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

m4rc0 wrote:we're having a slow mid-series. I have high hopes for the next arc though.
What? A secondary character getting the rare power-up and the death of a major antagonist is slow?
Catastrophe wrote:This is dumb. Accel trial form is blatantly advertisement for the Trilogy.
That's funny, I actually didn't think of that till you mentioned it. Hey, maybe there's more to Kamen Rider Traffic Light than dumb rumors
m4rc0

Post by m4rc0 »

Catastrophe wrote:Accel trial form is blatantly advertisement for the Trilogy.
It might also be related to the rumored new kamen rider (KR OOO) with the traffic light colors...
takenoko wrote:What? A secondary character getting the rare power-up and the death of a major antagonist is slow?
Isaka's death was being delayed for some time now. Since Xtreme showed up. The power up was also a given. But it wasn't just because of that. The formula is getting repetitive and I was hoping that we would have had more development in the Gaia Memory case by now...
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

m4rc0 wrote:W is at the point that the MOTW and the 2 episode arcs are starting to tire us. And since they don't do twists like they did in the beginning, we're having a slow mid-series. I have high hopes for the next arc though.
What you mean "us"? Not everyone is tired of the format of the series like you are. At least the MOTW are more interesting in W compared to some in past KR series. Also, for what W is, it is a detective theme show. It works better as two episode arcs. Dekaranger is a series that works very well with the format except it usually closed its cases in one episode instead of two. You may not enjoy it but others do like myself.
m4rc0

Post by m4rc0 »

I kinda copy-pasted it from another forum. Also, you don't need to feel included everytime someone writes us... Especially when you disagree.
Phoenix512 wrote:At least the MOTW are more interesting in W compared to some in past KR series.
I didn't wrote they weren't. And they are because they are unique and have a background, something most heisei MOTW didn't have.

Deka had 2-episode arcs too.

W is still good. Probably the best Heisei. But the cases haven't been as interesting as they were and we see little progress in the Memory case.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

m4rc0 wrote:Isaka's death was being delayed for some time now. Since Xtreme showed up. The power up was also a given. But it wasn't just because of that. The formula is getting repetitive and I was hoping that we would have had more development in the Gaia Memory case by now...
Do you understand how complaining Isaka's multi-episode plotline and complaining about formulaic 2-episode plotlines is contradictory? I mean, I know it's not the exact same thing (Isaka's been around for about 12 episodes) but this was obviously something that Terui had to do himself

Anyway, W is doing pretty well midseason. We got the Xtreme power up which had a really good story for Shoutarou and Philip. We met Kirihiko's little sister, which was a nice throwback to earlier episodes. While I agree that I'd like to see an end to the formulaic 2-episode stories for Kamen Rider, it's something that just works in W
Leonite Rider
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Double
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Zero One
Favorite Actor?: Renn Kiriyama
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Leonite Rider »

Looks like I was right when I said Mikku is smarter than he looks, how else would he have appeared at the last second to save Wakana without knowing it would happen?

Shroud seems a whole lot darker now, but she's probably pulling a Xantos Gambit to get rid of Museum and the Kamen Riders at the same time.

Saeko only has one other thing for herself now, the Nasca memory. Which means we'll be seeing Nazca in the next arc or so.
Avid fan of mixing Riders and Rangers into other things

Return to “Kamen Rider W”