KRW 49 released

Double your pleasure, double your fun. Spearmint gum.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KRW 49 released

Post by takenoko »

What can I say, I think it's a fitting end to the story. A lot of super hero stories have weak endings because they just kind of stop once the big bad is beaten. But what happens to the characters that you've come to love over the last year? A really good ending tells you what they're doing after the main battle

Spoiler
First, I have to say I really like the way this episode was cut. It's not Memento, but the flashback scenes with Wakana are misleading enough to make the viewer not sure how far back they occur. Since this is going to be a point of confusion for people, yes, everything in those flashbacks happened shortly after the last battle. As Comatose points out, you see Fuuto Tower being reconstructed in her background, whereas its complete in present time. Also, Philip says it took his body a year to be reconstructed

Is Philip's restoration a cop out/takes away from the last episode? I'm going to go ahead and say, I don't think so. The series at its heart is the story about these two guys. Like many people said, the series could have ended at 48, but 49 fits in wrapping up all the leftover bits. I guess it works for me, because Philip's restoration comes at the cost of Wakana's life, it's not just some flippant thing and Philip's back again. At long last, Philips is given Wakana's body. Wait, what?

The other thing that makes this episode work is in that they really treat it as a Philip-is-dead episode and shows how everyone is coping. Akiko and the frog pod thing, plus having to explain to the kid that Philip is dead, that's pretty good stuff. Everyone moves on, but Shoutarou and the rest are still in mourning

I still don't think Terui and Akiko are a couple
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: KRW 49 released

Post by Phoenix512 »

It's a nice way to cap off the series with Philip returning from the datastream and back to reality. As take said, I'm fine with Philip coming back since it took the sacrifice of Wakana to do so. With that act, I feel that she redeemed her sins of the past with it. It was hard to see Shoutarou forcing himself to be hard-boiled while never really got over Philip being gone. I didn't realized that the Wakana scenes were in the 1 year time jump until it was pointed out later to me. The first clue that me rethink was Philip's comment about taking a year to restore his body. Kamen Rider Joker was neat to see with classic Rider Punch and Kick being mix in. When Shoutarou went down, it really flashback when the boss went down in Begins Night but this time, Shoutarou was saved by his partner.

You really don't want Terui and Akiko to be a couple, take.

With W over with for now, bring on OOO.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Somehow this seems more fitting than the defeat of the final boss because there's more time to wrap up and make sure that all the loose ends are tied, which is something I feel tokusatsu as a whole tends to gloss over, not because the writers are bad but because the episodes tend to be fully contained stories within themselves, so it's hard to keep two fully functioning storylines at the same time without letting one kinda slip by. That said, I feel W did admirably well by devoting the last episode to the epilogue. Shoutarou attempts to get on with his life, and while he acts as hardboiled as the boss, you can tell that inside he's just struggling to keep it all together, as shown with the frogpod and his face after he realized that it was just a recording.

While some might say Philip's resurrection ruins the touching scene shown in 48, I actually think it enhances it. Shoutarou's feelings of losing his partner, someone who he had fought with and trusted even to death, were real and the audience felt it. You can see it again when he first realizes that Philip is there to stay with such an amazing expression, like he was just holding back and now these are his real feelings he's showing. I honestly teared up while I was smiling at their reunion. It credits both the writers and the actors that they were able to pull off this reunion absolutely beautifully.

IMO, W was an excellent series from the beginning, but the ending is what has truly cemented it as one of the best Kamen Rider series to date.
garfield15
Save the life
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Saki-chan
Favorite Band: FLOW
My boom: Nintendo Wii

Post by garfield15 »

I did not expect Joker to actually say Rider Punch and Rider Kick. That really made me happy.

What can I say. I think this is honestly my second favorite Rider series behind Kuuga. It had the most likable cast I've seen in a while, the most hateful, yet strangely likable villains I've seen and the Rider action was fantastic. But...all good things must come to an end.

Well, it's time for the...*sniff* "farewell" fanpics.

This is my favorite one

And now....we move on.
Bring on the OOO.
------------------
Thank you TV-Nihon for the release

(This way I don't have to write it every time and I'm still showing appreciation!")
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Phoenix512 wrote:You really don't want Terui and Akiko to be a couple, take.
It's not that this is a preference. I just don't see it. I think it's something in people's minds, a distorted reflection from an image beamed in from a tiny hole, bouncing off a mirror of what is really happening

Nice picture collection Garfield

You know, there's already a Kamen Rider Joker. Since his suit is all black, maybe he should call himself Kamen Rider Black instead
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

I do think this ep. was a nice way to end the season. I mean, the whole time I was waiting I kept wondering how it'd top 48 but, maybe it didn't need to. In my book, a good toku season is only as good as it's cast of characters; have a likeable and fun group and it's likely to fun to watch as you grow with them. have a group of annoying gently caressers and it'd be less fun than watching paint dry. Double managed to fall into the former and stay that way; I mean, the fact that just about everyone here started crying when Philip died should prove that more than anything.

Which brings me to another point: Philip becoming physical again. While it's really easy to see it as a cop-out, it's not. The series becomes full-circle with Philip rescuing Shotarou as he rescued Phil during Begin's Night and, all thanks to Wakana. It's a shame she'll never be able to return to Healing Princess but, at least she'll be together with her happy family at last.

Rider Punch, Rider Kick, W rocked!
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I think something that we forgot is that Wakana really became a Healing Princess at the very end when she healed Philip for good.
Silentwolfdog
Save the life
Favorite series: Garo (and many more)
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Iljimae 枝梅
Quote: I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.

Post by Silentwolfdog »

It was an awesome year of KR.

I liked this series very much, it was neat to see theme that focus very heavily on partnership and decisions. I feel like there was really never a big bad boss villain in this series beside Terror and his family. I felt like Shoutarou's biggest enemy is actually himself. And to see him overcome it and sort of got happy ending for himself is just awesome. (I know a lot of people have different interpretation of this, but this was how I see it though.)

I am sort of glad that they bought Philip back. Because honestly, when I thought he was gone for real, I still can't see Shoutarou as hard-boiled or complete person. It's like he is still missing his half of something. I guess this ep actually hit the note, no matter what happens, they complete each other. Although, this ep did show that Shoutarou will be brave without his partner if needed to.
Regardless, I still love lines that was said by Philip for the purpose of W which was mentioned in Begin Night. About decisions and atoning their sins. Which make W the W he is.

I loved the scene where when Philip returns, everyone was smiling and laughing. A cute scene there. Kinda made me want to join em, lol.

Now that I am feeling good about the series, let's get ready to welcome a new kamen hero!

So, farewell W, it was fun...riding with the devil.
Showa wa yume ga atta jidai dakedo, ima wa yume ga nai
lonegamer7
Save the life
Favorite series: Transformers
2nd Favorite Series: Mythbusters

Post by lonegamer7 »

Talk about a Earn Your Happy Ending! This is the first time I've seriously stayed with ANY toku series from start to climax finish, and I am GLAD that I stayed through the entire process.

Extra points on "Rider Kick" and "Rider Punch" for some old school throwbacks. :mrgreen:

And SWD took the words out of my mouth on riding with the devil. :D

On the pics garfield found? my favorite is all four plus Mic in Philip's arms. D'AWWWW.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I forgot to mention about the leader of EXE not being so charismatic as his minions would like to think. The guy works at a pet store where Santa-chan trumps him in presence.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

What makes this episode truly shine are the little details that require watching it a second time to truly appreciate them. The frame of green triangles for certain scenes don't make any sense until you put it all together.
Triple M
Destron Emperor
Favorite series: Destron
2nd Favorite Series: Destron
Dreamy: Destron
Favorite Actor?: Destron
Favorite Band: Destron
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Destron
Quote: *HAIL DESTRON*
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Triple M »

I loved KR Joker. He's black. Rider Punch. Rider Kick. Old school
Draiken
Faiz
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Magic: The Gathering

Post by Draiken »

I liked the idea of Philip coming back. It really brings out the significance of W and the 2-as-1 theme we've seen through the series. I also thought it was very cute that Akira mimicked Shoutarou's hand gestures. Shoutarou really has a way with the people. : )

I also loved how Philip's return took away all attention from Energy for a few moments. XD
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Great ending to a fantastic series. I was ambivalent about the episode the first time through - the pacing felt choppy and rushed, almost like they were trying to fit the equivalent of two episodes into one - but the reveal near the end (that the episode was flipping between two different time periods) made it all make sense. You can only experience that "a-ha!" moment the first time through, but it was on the second watch that I really appreciated how much effort they put into misdirecting the audience about what was taking place when, who the real threat behind EXE was, and what the "restoration" was. Really clever.

It didn't stick, but I loved that they staged Energy's first attack so that Shoutarou would fall just like Narumi did in the opening. It really brought things full circle.

The fact that Akira was played by the same actor that portrayed young Shoutarou back in the first arc set up some nice irony-filled moments. Akira lecturing Shoutarou that it's okay to rely on others, Shoutarou admitting to Akira that he's barely holding on without Philip by his side - all great scenes that work within the context of the episode but take on a double meaning if you think of them as Shoutarou talking to himself.

Once the theme music kicked in, I couldn't stop smiling. So, so glad they ended the series with the catchphrase and the finger flick pose. It felt right to have that signature of the show be the final image the audience was left with.

This show was really something special.
kikaida
IXA
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Blade

Post by kikaida »

takenoko wrote:You know, there's already a Kamen Rider Joker. Since his suit is all black, maybe he should call himself Kamen Rider Black instead
Hmm . . . we all know you know about Chalice -- :roll:

Of course, since there's a Joker and a Black, how about KR Black Joker (too racial, maybe, but for Japan, maybe not).

Speaking of sacrifice, Wakana's sacrifice for Raito reminds me of Kenzaki's sacrifice for Hajime. Up until W, I couldn't recall any other character sacrificing himself for another like Kenzaki.
"There is no charge for awesomeness . . . or attractiveness." Po.

Return to “Kamen Rider W”