Honey System
Favorite series: Stargate Atlantis
Dreamy: Azrael
Favorite Actor?: Yes I like Cheese
Favorite Band: HarkleFarkle
Alignment: Chaotic Good

TVN got teased by BSSubs

Post by SiegeDragomon »

BSSubs released a troll version of their gundam 00 movie sub called the TV-Nihon version, it is hilarious.
They just had the joke run for the first part after the opening theme but it was good.
Sometimes it's best to just go along with it and avoid the explosions, other times it's fun to be the one with the detonator and an evil laugh.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: TVN got teased by BSSubs

Post by takenoko »

Someone showed that to me yesterday and it kind of bummed me out, to be honest. Like I take a lot of pride into the work that we do into our subs, so it kind of bothers me when people latch onto an unfair criticism and reuse it again and again

Personally, I think it kind of sucks to have people you don't know mocking and laughing at you
SiegeDragomon
Honey System

Post by SiegeDragomon »

It came across as more like poking fun at some of the habit's TVN has. They super exaggerated obviously but it didn't seem bad natured to me.
Sometimes it's best to just go along with it and avoid the explosions, other times it's fun to be the one with the detonator and an evil laugh.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Ah okay, well that makes me feel a little better
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

SiegeDragomon wrote:BSSubs released a troll version of their gundam 00 movie sub called the TV-Nihon version, it is hilarious.
I think you mean GSS, since it was a joint between BSS and GG. XD
That Guy
Save the life
Favorite series: Gurren-Lagann
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Ozu Urara
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa Shigeki
Favorite Band: Disturbed
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Gurren-Lagann

Post by That Guy »

I'm going to play devil's advocate and ask what part of the criticism you think is unfair? Many people criticize TV-Nihon for things such as:
* incorrect translations
* leaving random words untranslated (and/or calling them untranslatable)
* leaving in honorifics instead of translating them through in other ways
* leaving in the honorific "-tachi" in particular
* unnatural or flat sounding dialog
* all characters in all shows being written the same way
* pigeonholed translations, aka only translating flexible words and/or concepts one way
* hardsubs and/or bad/old encoding standards
* fancy font effects that detract from the viewing experience
* refusal to share scripts
Note that these are not my criticisms, just what I've observed from other people. I find there is some validity to these criticisms that it may be worth your addressing, however.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Nah, I don't feel like dealing with you. You're kind of a troll anyway. What's your deal anyway, are you that hard up for attention that all your posts have to be either condescending or take a jab at people?

You're not playing devil's advocate. You're just trying to be as hurtful as possible, and that's sort of lame man
Solidus
UNKNOWN HARD ERROR!
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Blade
Dreamy: Mika, Ran
Favorite Actor?: Cobb
Favorite Band: LCD Soundsystem
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: shiny objects

Post by Solidus »

That Guy wrote:Many people
Translation: "I think"
SiegeDragomon
Honey System

Post by SiegeDragomon »

No it's a common set of criticisms against tvn.
KickHopper
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR W & Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Keitei Sousakan 7
Dreamy: Why yes I am
Favorite Actor?: Watanabe Hiroyuki
Favorite Band: Royksopp
My boom: Film Noir
Quote: "Walking the path of Hell, the man who serves no one."

Post by KickHopper »

SiegeDragomon wrote:No it's a common set of criticisms against tvn.
"Many" is an arbitrary and opinion based remark, though. I happen to like most of how TVN does things.
ImageImage
That Guy
Save the life
Favorite series: Gurren-Lagann
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Ozu Urara
Favorite Actor?: Hosokawa Shigeki
Favorite Band: Disturbed
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Gurren-Lagann

Post by That Guy »

takenoko wrote:Nah, I don't feel like dealing with you. You're kind of a troll anyway. What's your deal anyway, are you that hard up for attention that all your posts have to be either condescending or take a jab at people?

You're not playing devil's advocate. You're just trying to be as hurtful as possible, and that's sort of lame man
What's my deal? What's YOUR deal? All you ever do is insult me or blow me off like my opinions, either because they're mine or because they're different from yours, are somehow less valid than anybody else's. In this case, I presented a list of reasons I've seen people give around the web for why they don't like TVN's subs in response to your confusion and dejection over why somebody might possibly make fun of your style of subbing, and you call me a troll. They're not even my reasons! Do I agree with some of them? Yes. Do I agree with all of them? No. Maybe you should face criticism head-on when somebody tries to explain what they don't like about you instead of ignoring it and acting all dramatic and hurt, because if presenting criticisms from the community is considered hurtful, then I'd really like to know what you consider helpful.

And before someone calls me a hypocrite or claims that I'm doing exactly what he says I do, I'm presenting a fair defense of my actions against what I perceive as a misinterpretation by one who seems to be biased against me. I'm annoyed but I'm not hurt, and I'm not being dramatic, but rather defending my good name like I think anybody would do in my situation.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Here's something for you to read while you're on your ban:

Following a guy around and just attacking them, that's super petty. I guess you're still angry about being dropped from QC, but come on, let's move past that

http://tvnihon.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=7907
Enough with the chicken shit passive aggressive insults. If you want to criticize us, why not do it with your own words and using your own opinions instead of hiding behind what other people say?

You know, if you really have such a problem with our group, you had your chance to make your voice heard when you were a part of QC. But you never did more than 3-4 episodes out of a series before dropping the series, so that's why we ended up dropping you

If you were just any other fan, your comments would weigh a lot more, but you are and have been the bitter guy who criticizes our work indirectly and writes backhanded responses to my posts

Come on dude, we're all here to have fun and this sort of childishness is really lame. You're welcome to come back after your ban ends but you'll need to drop all the attacks and stuff, because just being angry and taking jabs at people makes you ugly

I shouldn't have to come into my own forums and feel like I need to defend myself to a disgruntled ex-member. And looking at how you speak to other people, you're equally condescending and combative to them as well. Like I remember in the DX2 release you sounded like you were daring people to disagree with you. It's not that hard to think of a way to talk to a person without making people angry, I think you just do it on purpose because you like the negative attention. That's the only explanation that I can see for how you talk to others
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

The only people I've seen that bag on TVNH subs a jerkwads on /m/ that demand day later subs.

Yet, these are the same people that still watch current sentai from here because as far as I know, you guys are the only ones that do it as a weekly.
Magenta
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Boukenger
Dreamy: Nozama
Favorite Actor?: Takehito Koyasu
Favorite Band: 765 Productions
My boom: Robots. Always.

Post by Magenta »

Perhaps it is unwise of me to comment on this situation considering all that's occured but I kind of want to throw my two cents in on this in as neutral of a way as I can.

Let's put it this way: T-N is kind of the posterchild for a very unconventional way of subbing. Fansubbing as an 'art', shall we say, has changed a lot over the last 5-6 years and what were considered very unorthodox and unusual subbing methods many years back are now the norm - abolition of honorifics, generally trying to eliminate typesetting frills, a move towards softsubbing and open formats, etc. The way T-N subs in and of itself is not a bad thing, you can find positives and negatives for pretty much every way of handling every situation that arises in fansubbing, and there's no perfect way of doing it. And for every person who likes or dislikes any given way there's probably several more that just don't goddamn care.

When work is put on the internet though and made available, you have to kind of accept, I think, that it's fair game for criticism. Criticism is, IMO, not a bad thing. If one accepts criticism it can change your mind on how to handle things, or just allow you to reaffirm your reasoning for why you do things the way you do. As long as you can keep an open mind I don't think there's anything wrong with saying "I completely understand why you're bitching about this, and I totally see the reasons you have for not liking it, but these are my reasons for doing it this way and this is why I think they're a better idea in this situation, and I'm not going to change my mind." etc.

What brought this whole event on, I think, is that there's kind of this dislike of public criticism around here that generally means people do their complaining behind your back. I know I personally like criticism and take doesn't, but people are always going to criticise and I think it's better to encourage it to be done in the front than have it be done behind your back. As long as publically-made criticism is not addressed and it's complaints responded to, people are just going to continue with their conception that what you're doing is plain bad, because you're not providing any reasons why what you do is good.

Ultimately, what's important is being able to sell your reasoning. If you cater to the niche 40% and 60% of people wouldn't touch your work with a bargepole, that's not a bad thing. I think the bad thing is when the 60% of people think your work is bad, as opposed to just not for them. That's an issue of PR, and if I might personally make one criticism, I think that's generally the one area this group has always had trouble.

In the end, though, it comes down to the fact it's one set of people subbing children's cartoons poking fun at another set of people subbing children's cartoons. If one chooses to take it at all seriously that's probably far too seriously.
ima sugu shutsudoukable
kikaida
IXA
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Blade

Post by kikaida »

You know, I don't care what any "BS" sub site says about TV-N. Any other site that even tries to handle the volume that TV-N does of hardcoding subs AND finishing series just don't compare. So many try to duplicate what is done here - that they never come close. So rather than produce as many projects and complete as many projects (because they can't), these other sites that "attack" TV-N only do so because they simply cannot do what the volunteers of TV-N do.

The fact that so many "insult" TV-N just goes to show how great TV-N is!
"There is no charge for awesomeness . . . or attractiveness." Po.

Return to “Off Topic”