Kachou on!
Forum rules
Wiki Link
Nova
7X
Alignment: Neutral

Re: Kotaku's Retro Game Master

Post by Nova »

Apparently it is going to be North-America only...
As an European I will probably not be able to watch it :(
Luckily you guys at TV-N are not dropping this show :)
Triple M
Destron Emperor
Favorite series: Destron
2nd Favorite Series: Destron
Dreamy: Destron
Favorite Actor?: Destron
Favorite Band: Destron
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Destron
Quote: *HAIL DESTRON*
Type: INTP Architect

Post by Triple M »

I'm watching it now. Just so everyone knows, it totally sucks in every way. Please look forward to more complete unedited subs from us
Jamesman
I am the new #2
I am the new #2

Post by Jamesman »

So after waiting an hour and a half for them to finally get the video up (holy crap, I can't believe they didn't have a backup plan in place), the video finally goes up, and I can't bear to get through more than 2 minutes of it.

The announcer is what really killed it for me. An guy doing his worst game show host impersonation with no concept of proper pronunciation is dubbed over the original video, with a significantly higher volume than the rest of the show in order to drown out the original Japanese announcer (who you still hear in the background anyway). It's such a needless thing to do, and done so poorly and is just so distracting and annoying. It's like going to the movies and having some jerk talking on his cell phone sitting in front of you. Maybe he's also really tall or wearing a big hat so you can't see very well either, I don't know.

I am begging you, TV-Nihon subs of this show cannot return soon enough. It's been a year, and we've now seen what the efforts of others will bring us.
Mister Chief NZ
Adventure

Post by Mister Chief NZ »

Everyone is saying it is the worst thing ever. At least those of you in the US get to experience the pain...
umrain

Post by umrain »

I wasn't completely opposed to the compromise of dubbed narration and subbed dialogue. In theory. But after watching I have to say the narrator is very overbearing. The Japanese narrator had a sort of serious tone that enhanced the documentary-like atmosphere of the show, but this guy, well, I feel like I'm watching a promo for a monster truck rally. "Will Arino clear the next stage!? Find out on Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!" That's a slight exaggeration, but not by much. It's the same kind of "extreme" narration you hear on a lot of American reality shows. I was really trying to be open-minded about this, but this guy was bad. The fact that the over-dubbing necessarily drowns out a lot of the dramatic incidental music didn't help either.
TG23
Gabu
Dreamy: Hell Wolf-kun
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Killing You Guys

Post by TG23 »

Awww I miss the original narrator. And you can still hear him from time to time. And MAN! Ninja Gaiden was a dirty game. But man, I've missed this show.
OMAETACHI, KOROCHU!
Ninja_Commander
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: There's too many
2nd Favorite Series: See previous
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Ninja_Commander »

Its looks good, but I gotta say the subtitles are not timed well. They are showing up late when they start to talk. Plus they got rid of the TaMaGe and the game collections. Thats what made it fun to watch was Arino finding gamecenters or unusual places for old stuff. Plus the dubbed narrator is so bad at saying Arino's name or even just his title for the show. The voice is just so over the top its not funny. And the one other thing about the dub narrator is his mispronunciation of character names.

As much as I'm glad this show is now shown publicly, they just really dropped the ball on it by removing stuff we like to see and ruining certain parts of the show. I hope they drop the dub and stick to subs for everyone plus fix the timing. After seeing your work on most of the shows on here, it feels lame to see subtitles not show up at the right time or even show up on the things that show up in japanese not translated near it. It just bugs me to hell and doesn't feel the same as yours. Here's hoping to see more of GameCenter CX show up from you guys.
Mister Chief NZ
Adventure

They didn't cut anything. It is the directors cut from one of the DVDs. Also the narrator passed the highest level of the JLPT in 1995 and has lived in Japan for nearly 20 years so I'm going to guess that he knows how to pronounce Japanese names correctly.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Kachou I'll give him, but he wayyyyy over stresses the i in Arino. His sounds like Ar-ee-no rather than Ari-no. Also, there is no reason in the world to pronounce "Ryu" as "Raiyu". Are you sure you're not talking about the translator rather than the narrator?
Ninja_Commander
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: There's too many
2nd Favorite Series: See previous
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Ninja_Commander »

Thank you Luna, that's exactly what I'm talking about. The name of japanese people is done is a very specific way like remember when Cardcapters was on tv and they even said Sakura wrong and now its done right, its like that with Arino and Ryu for Ninja Gaiden. ITs the name pronunciation thats getting me right now with the narrator. The translator is doing a good job. Its just the guy speaking it saying it all wrong.
Mister Chief NZ
Adventure

I'm not saying it isn't. I'm saying that it is on purpose. They're whitewashing the show.
Red
Gao

Post by Red »

Wow. That was... ... Wow. I have a feeling EVERY episode is going to be like playing from 6-1 in Ninja Gaiden... Endlessly... But you know what? Like Arino, I will willing continue to walk through Hell if it helps the show and leads eventually to a better release.

That said, however... PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOOOOOOD, SUB GCCX!!! PLEASE! I'm sure the Toku fans will understand if they have to take a little break from their shows! Or better yet, team up with the new people on Something Awful and get us our proper GCCX to enjoy while the plebes deal with Kotaku's RGM! Pleeeeeeeeeease!!!!! ;_;

Okay, enough begging. Show of hands, who's going to brave Ninja Gaiden like Arino did? XD
Mister Chief NZ
Adventure

I'm not even brave enough to watch the episode. I need to work myself up to it.
Red
Gao

Post by Red »

You could just open it one tab, press play, turn off the audio, and then go and do something else in another window. :p
Mister Chief NZ
Adventure

I was wrong about the announcer. They changed who it was from the original sales pitch. But I do have some good news. A third subbing group just released an episode. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to the torrent on here though. They released Kirby's Adventure.

Return to “GameCenter CX”