DrTupacShakurPHD
Favorite series: All KR
Dreamy: Megan Fox
Favorite Actor?: Jack Black
Favorite Band: GooGooDolls
Alignment: Lawful Neutral

Re: A real story about Power Rangers

Post by DrTupacShakurPHD »

JSoup wrote:I remember noticing that the actors voice had changed a bit when I was a kid, but it never crossed my mind, for some reason, that it might be a different actor. :lol:
I never noticed there was a switch either. wut always stumped me was later on: how Rito Repulsa could possibly be Rita Repulsa's brother, since they look so much alike and everything.
AeonRanger
Robo's Birthday
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Chou Sei Shin
Dreamy: Sayaka Isoyama
Favorite Actor?: Inuoe Masahrio
Favorite Band: Tetra-Fang
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: HENSHIN

Post by AeonRanger »

to be honest i didn't know Power Rangers was based on Super Sentai until I read the end credits of Mystic Force and found out it was based on magiranger. So I looked up magiranger and the first bit of sentai i watched was the magiranger movie after that I was hooked and have been watching sentai ever since.
Tensou - Let me count the number of your crimes
Digifiend
Gabu

Post by Digifiend »

DrTupacShakurPHD wrote:wut always stumped me was later on: how Rito Repulsa could possibly be Rita Repulsa's brother, since they look so much alike and everything.
Especially since they had different surnames! It's Rito Revolto, not Repulsa.
JSoup wrote:I remember noticing that the actors voice had changed a bit when I was a kid, but it never crossed my mind, for some reason, that it might be a different actor. :lol:
It wasn't. Whether the face you was seeing was Machiko Soga or Carla Perez, the voice of Rita Repulsa was always Barbara Goodson.
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

Wow. You guys are tackling a classic Sentai program, in fact, the Sentai program that unfortunately was used to introduce Power Rangers to Western Civilization. still, if it weren't for that exposure, no one would be interested in the original programming the source footage came from.

I wish you guys the best of luck in this endeavor, and certainly looking forward to the end result. :)
friendlyquark
7X
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Bruce Banner
Favorite Actor?: Jet Li
Favorite Band: Imogen Heap
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: writing
Quote: Ca va, go-busters?

Post by friendlyquark »

Having watched Sentai shows looooong before Power Rangers came on, I remember seeing the PR episodes and boggling as I watched signs change from Japanese in one scene to English in the next. LOL I thought it darn funny how they never bothered to fix any of the glaring inconsistencies between "Angel Grove" and TOKYO! Like, Hey, how come Tokyo tower is in California?

Plus, we went from an older woman as "Rita" to a much younger woman! How did even kids not notice a twenty year age difference? The episode even had her doing a 'magical face-lift' or some such to explain the glaring big difference. It was a while back, but I do vaguely recall all the fancy footwork to switch over from original Bandora to the new revamped Rita.

What killed me though was the gender bending of making a male Sentai character over into a girl. They did that several times throughout the years and it always made me chortle.
HIDragonstar
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Garo, Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Fuuma no Kojiro
Dreamy: Kaoru, Kotoha,Wakana

Post by HIDragonstar »

I never noticed, back then I was too busy drooling over Thuy Trang. Wish she could have done more...
People say that the real world isn't black or white, its shades of gray. I prefer to think its a rainbow spectrum, when any color is dark enough, its black, when any color is light enough, its white. Yet, there is a spectrum of cultures and values.
DragonRanger
I am not a number. I am an individual!
I am not a number. I am an individual!
Favorite series: Mahou Sentai Magiran
2nd Favorite Series: Kyōryū Sentai Zyuran
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Favorite Actor?: Yuuki Itou
Favorite Band: Bowling for soup
Alignment: Lawful Evil
Quote: DragonRanger~Burai!

Post by DragonRanger »

When I watched the second season of MMPR I was so young that I noticed the actor change but just believed the love potion story lol. Still I may have only been five but I still thought Lamie was hot.
Netto no Zen-Aki
Gabu
Favorite series: Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: Rider
Quote: "We cannot change the past, for it is written in stone. So we look to the future, for it has yet to be written."

Completed:
KR- Ryuki, Kabuto, Kiva, Den-O, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
Sentai- Deka, Magi, Bouken, Geki, Go-On, Shinken, Gosei, Gokai, Go-Bust, Kyouryu, ToQger
ETC- Ryukendo, Rescue Force, Rescue Fire, Garo, Garo: Makai Senki, Garo: Yami

Current:
Shuriken Sentai Ninninger
Kamen Rider Ghost

Post by Netto no Zen-Aki »

AeonRanger wrote:to be honest i didn't know Power Rangers was based on Super Sentai until I read the end credits of Mystic Force and found out it was based on magiranger. So I looked up magiranger and the first bit of sentai i watched was the magiranger movie after that I was hooked and have been watching sentai ever since.
It was a year later when I realized that. Reading "Based on Dekaranger" in SPD's ending.

As for what I can remember from Power Rangers S-1, Pig that ate everything sticks out very much. I always noticed that the voice and lips didn't match, but I just thought, "Oh well, summon the MegaZord!" *7-yr-old mindset*

Also, inconsistencies were abound. Zedd gave Goldar his wings back *which he had in the previous season*. And as for the "Z" on "DragonZord", I thought that it was "Zedd" that it meant for. I know better now. Also, I can wait patiently for "Zyu-Sub" since the current Sentai/Rider series is keeping me occupied *Also have Ryuki and Blade to watch*

Also, kind of noticed the series being from Japan during "TURBO" when they used the go-carts and on the ground there was kanji on the road.
Niek
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Niek »

friendlyquark wrote: Plus, we went from an older woman as "Rita" to a much younger woman! How did even kids not notice a twenty year age difference? The episode even had her doing a 'magical face-lift' or some such to explain the glaring big difference. It was a while back, but I do vaguely recall all the fancy footwork to switch over from original Bandora to the new revamped Rita.
Really, I instantly noticed the difference. That is why they gave the reason of the magical facelift, because they knew a number of children would notice the difference. Although you did need to see a close up of the face. The costume pretty much covered a lot. Not to mention that the voice syncing with the lips improved incredibly. Still not perfect though. I liked that they kept the voice actor and did not switch to a mimic voice by Carla Perez.

However I was never really bothered by it all. I guess it is easier to have a suspention of disbelieve when you are a kid.

I don't know when I found out that it was based on the japanese zyuranger. It was during a special with some of the original 5. It did not peek my interest in the slightest back then. My interest in Sentai started when my interest in Power Rangers came back.
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by. - Douglas Adams
TexasRed
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
My boom: Sentai in general
Quote: "Tenkagomen no Samurai Sentai; SHINKENGER!"

"FANFIC!" *take a shot*

Post by TexasRed »

I always knew something was off with Rita and Baboo in the series. I didn't know what, but the dubbing was just not good enough to make it all match up completely. I always just kind of shrugged it off and enjoyed the show (I was eight, I didn't care whether it was original sentai or brought over).

But I have to agree with the sentiment, people can sit here and say that "Super Sentai is better than Power Rangers." But if it weren't for Power Rangers, a good portion of us would have NO clue what Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, or anything like that even are.
friendlyquark
7X

Post by friendlyquark »

TexasRed wrote:I always knew something was off with Rita and Baboo in the series. I didn't know what, but the dubbing was just not good enough to make it all match up completely. I always just kind of shrugged it off and enjoyed the show (I was eight, I didn't care whether it was original sentai or brought over).

But I have to agree with the sentiment, people can sit here and say that "Super Sentai is better than Power Rangers." But if it weren't for Power Rangers, a good portion of us would have NO clue what Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, or anything like that even are.
Okay, so back in the 80's I was going down to the local Japanese video store and renting tapes of Four hours of Japanese TV. Recent immigrants from Japan, who wanted to keep up on their shows, would rent these tapes to watch at home. It was a big mix of stuff. I was getting Hokuto no Ken, Zeta Gundam, Super Sentai, etc, all mixed onto one tape. I rented them mostly for the Anime, but got hooked on the Sentai shows as well.

I started watching when Changeman was mid season and kept watching all the way through Zyuranger. My Japanese is crappy, so I really only grasped about half the plot, but it was darn fun to watch. When Power Rangers came on in America, at first I was really excited, thinking that they were going to do the shows the way they did in Japan, with plots, characters, depth, etc.

Imagine my disappointment. I did grow fond of PR for its own cheesy sake, but just as Macross got turned into the first season of Robotech, I felt and still feel that Sentai got dissed a bit there in the beginning. Saban has lately tried to up the quality, I appreciate that, but I still feel the first few seasons were sub par. Fun, but not really Sentai.
Kalsembar
Gao
Favorite series: Dairanger
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
My boom: Sentai
Quote: "Let's Morphin'!"

Post by Kalsembar »

friendlyquark wrote:
TexasRed wrote:Imagine my disappointment. I did grow fond of PR for its own cheesy sake, but just as Macross got turned into the first season of Robotech, I felt and still feel that Sentai got dissed a bit there in the beginning. Saban has lately tried to up the quality, I appreciate that, but I still feel the first few seasons were sub par. Fun, but not really Sentai.
I think if Power Rangers had so fully misrepresented the Sentai series, the owners would have pulled the plug long ago. Let's not forget the entire point of these shows, however: to sell merchandise. Both series have been remarkable in that respect.

That said, while I do prefer the Sentai now that I'm aware of it, Sentai would never have done well here in the states as-is. Think of Dairangers, could you imagine a 10 year-old American actor groping the leading female ranger? Power Rangers would never have made it past Season 2, they'd have been blacklisted quicker than "AO" rated video games.

I honestly think Saban was brilliant to take that idea and convert it to a form that American audiences could digest, thus bringing the joy of Colored Costumes and Transforming Mecha to the West.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

I used to watch so much power rangers as a kid. I saw every episode form S1 to InSpace, then Lost Galaxy changed the storyline and I didn't like it. So age 12ish.

However I knew from a very young age what sentai was. Whenever I was eight or nine my mom had me enrolled in an afterschool program. For some reason the idiots in charge of it thought I was a second grader when I was a third and wouldn't let me play with my grade so I couldn't go out to play in the gym. But there was this neat little room that I used to be in.

The guy who watched over us in the room always wore a three piece suit for some reason, he didn't look asian but he probably had grandparents who were japanese. I had no idea why. One week he brought in old episodes of Doctor Who from the 80s for us to watch. Masked Rider that abomination was on TV then, he bought in Kamen Rider Black RX. Finally he saw me wearing my old MMPR shirt I had since I was a kid. You know the one shirt every single kid had. With the five main rangers on it. He laughed and asked if I ever heard of Zyuranger. I asked him if he meant ZeoRanger at the time. Since the promos of Zeo was going out.

Next day he brought in a few VHS and had all the power rangers fans sit down in front of the TV. We watched two episodes. One was from Zyuranger. One was from Dairanger.

Both were blue ranger specific episode I think. One was the ranger was trapped inside the giant monster with a princess and the Blue Ranger was trying to punch is way out of it.

The other was some weird baseball game and they were throwing super fast balls and the monster was a baseball monster. (It's been almost two decades how the hell do I remember this)

So since I was that age I knew what Sentai was. He sort of explained how we take the footage and stuff. Didn't matter then nor now. If given a chance, I would so be a Super Sentai/Power Ranger.
HIDragonstar
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Garo, Kamen Rider W
2nd Favorite Series: Fuuma no Kojiro
Dreamy: Kaoru, Kotoha,Wakana

Post by HIDragonstar »

Kalsembar wrote:That said, while I do prefer the Sentai now that I'm aware of it, Sentai would never have done well here in the states as-is. Think of Dairangers, could you imagine a 10 year-old American actor groping the leading female ranger? Power Rangers would never have made it past Season 2, they'd have been blacklisted quicker than "AO" rated video games.

I honestly think Saban was brilliant to take that idea and convert it to a form that American audiences could digest, thus bringing the joy of Colored Costumes and Transforming Mecha to the West.
Strangely enough, where I live, we saw Sentai, Kamen Rider, and Japanese Anime for the most part 'in its original form'. We used to have a local television station(s) that used to play the animated series and tokusatsu. They would put up subtitles and the local kids would eat them up. We watched Yuusha Raideen, Mazinger, Kikaida, Kikaida 01, Inazuman, Rainbow Man, Kamen Rider 1,2 and v3, Diamond Eye, Go-Ranger, Captain Harlock, Galaxy Express 999, and Fist of the North Star. All uncut, and subtitled, and many of the kids enjoyed it when I was in school.

What I think had changed is the time, we kinda 'protect' and keep the kids in a nice fluffy protection. Most of the people my age or older who remember watching those shows still think of them fondly. We found it amusing, and I hate to say it... a 10 year old boy does start to flip girls skirts at the time... heck I knew of several guys who were doing what that actor was doing to other girls at that time. Nowadays, they would come down hard on the kid, back then it was 'playing'... its just that values and thoughts have changed over time.

It would have be possible with some careful edits, but I think it wouldn't have needed the complete rewrites that had happened. Its almost as bad as what they were going to change "Star Blazers" into... I came across a rumor that they were actually going to call it "Space Battleship: Arizona". Also, perhaps we wouldn't have had the problems we now have with Macross thanks to Harmony Gold and their rewrites. From what I understand, Macross coming out of Japan might never happen. Which is why don't see that other 3-5 series of Macross that they have there coming out for English Distribution.
People say that the real world isn't black or white, its shades of gray. I prefer to think its a rainbow spectrum, when any color is dark enough, its black, when any color is light enough, its white. Yet, there is a spectrum of cultures and values.
friendlyquark
7X

Post by friendlyquark »

Strangely enough, where I live, we saw Sentai, Kamen Rider, and Japanese Anime for the most part 'in its original form'. We used to have a local television station(s) that used to play the animated series and tokusatsu. They would put up subtitles and the local kids would eat them up. We watched Yuusha Raideen, Mazinger, Kikaida, Kikaida 01, Inazuman, Rainbow Man, Kamen Rider 1,2 and v3, Diamond Eye, Go-Ranger, Captain Harlock, Galaxy Express 999, and Fist of the North Star. All uncut, and subtitled, and many of the kids enjoyed it when I was in school.

It would have be possible with some careful edits, but I think it wouldn't have needed the complete rewrites that had happened. Its almost as bad as what they were going to change "Star Blazers" into... I came across a rumor that they were actually going to call it "Space Battleship: Arizona". Also, perhaps we wouldn't have had the problems we now have with Macross thanks to Harmony Gold and their rewrites. From what I understand, Macross coming out of Japan might never happen. Which is why don't see that other 3-5 series of Macross that they have there coming out for English Distribution.
Toei could care less about HOW we do PR, so long as the toys get sold, I sometimes think that they do the very Japanese-centric series and episodes merely to mess with the poor American writers who have to adapt it to PR. Its obvious though that they do not write their series giving a damn about what PR will do with it.

Carl Macek screwed Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada for American distribution. He made many animation companies wary about exporting to America for a damn long time. We old timers remember when we were daisy-chaining our VCRs together to get half-way decent copies of anime because you couldn't get it in English in America, subbed or dubbed. Much of this was because of what was done to Macross and also to Gatchaman. PR could have been really well done, but it wasn't. I still enjoy the first few seasons in a MST3K sort of way, but the lost potential is somewhat sad.

Return to “Sentai-Kyouryuu Sentai ZyuRanger”