Forum rules
Wiki Link

< OOO | Fourze | Wizard >
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Fourze Promo 1 released

Post by Phoenix512 »

So dissect the 15 seconds to your fullest.
Blaarghag
I am the new #2
I am the new #2

Re: Fourze Promo 1 released

Post by Blaarghag »

Fourze Promo 1 wrote:Space, kitaaaaaa!
So will you do a proper job of translating Fourze's catch phrase once the first episode has aired and you hear it in context?
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

If by that you mean "Will it be entirely in English?" maybe, maybe not. "Kita" is much more of an exclamation than anything else the way it's being used so far, and as such, doesn't really have a strict translation other than maybe "Yay!"

Besides, it worked for Heroes, and we did it in Densha Otoko.
Zetta
I am the new #2
I am the new #2

Post by Zetta »

Blaarghag wrote:
Fourze Promo 1 wrote:Space, kitaaaaaa!
So will you do a proper job of translating Fourze's catch phrase once the first episode has aired and you hear it in context?
Lunagel wrote:If by that you mean "Will it be entirely in English?" maybe, maybe not. "Kita" is much more of an exclamation than anything else the way it's being used so far, and as such, doesn't really have a strict translation other than maybe "Yay!"

Besides, it worked for Heroes, and we did it in Densha Otoko.
Yes, translation usually implies turning a source language into a target language and not leaving words untranslated.

Uchuu kita can be translated very easily. If you can't, I question your knowledge of the Japanese language.
Sig is too big
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

It's because of my knowledge of Japanese that I agree with the decision to leave "kita" alone. That one word can mean to come, to approach, to arrive, to come to be, to become, to get, to grow, to continue, etc. It also can be used as an exclamation of surprise/delight, such as in Densha Otoko.

You'll notice that we tend to keep a lot of things in Japanese because we feel that they add flavor and a "coolness" factor to the shows. If you don't like that, well, it's time you look somewhere else.
Zetta
I am the new #2
I am the new #2

Post by Zetta »

Lunagel wrote:It's because of my knowledge of Japanese that I agree with the decision to leave "kita" alone. That one word can mean to come, to approach, to arrive, to come to be, to become, to get, to grow, to continue, etc. It also can be used as an exclamation of surprise/delight, such as in Densha Otoko.

You'll notice that we tend to keep a lot of things in Japanese because we feel that they add flavor and a "coolness" factor to the shows. If you don't like that, well, it's time you look somewhere else.
Then, explain it like that. It's a stylistic choice.

Your earlier explanation implied it could not be translated. You're not translating it because you don't want to translate it. Not because it's not possible.

You can translate it as an exclamation and as a verb just fine. I'm just saying if you want to leave it like that because you think it's "cool", don't act like it's a correct translation.
Sig is too big
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

Hmm... did anyone notice the the faces on their space packs?
Lunagel
Mofu~

Post by Lunagel »

I'm not gonna argue with you cause you're obviously trolling :)
vitor
There are four lights!
There are four lights!

Post by vitor »

Lunagel wrote:It's because of my knowledge of Japanese that I agree with the decision to leave "kita" alone.

You'll notice that we tend to keep a lot of things in Japanese because we feel that they add flavor and a "coolness" factor to the shows.
I'm sorry, but I can't help but laugh at your absolutely shoddy attempt to defend your subbing choices

All you guys do is waste your fucking time on making the subs flashy as hell and use that as an excuse for releasing them a week late

You guys are bearly working on anything and sporadically starting and dropping projects, you don't have an excuse other than work and personal issues
Gunzy
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Ryukendo
Dreamy: Sayaka Isoyama
Favorite Band: Clazziquai
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Video Games
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Gunzy »

Sup Vitor.

Trolling as usual I see~

The first 15 I've seen is interesting but hopefully the second promo will get me excited to see it.
ImageImage
Nnnkingston
Salami Commander
Favorite series: W or Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Rescue Force or Geki
Favorite Band: Coldplay
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Filmmaking
Quote: "If you do not fight, you will not survive!" - from Ryuki

Post by Nnnkingston »

If you don't like how certain words are translated I'm certain you can find other subs instead of complaining about Lunagel's choices.
vitor
There are four lights!
There are four lights!

Post by vitor »

Gunzy wrote:Sup Vitor.

Trolling as usual I see~
Don't believe I've had the pleasure ~<3
vitor
There are four lights!
There are four lights!

Post by vitor »

Nnnkingston wrote:If you don't like how certain words are translated I'm certain you can find other subs instead of complaining about Lunagel's choices.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/translation

^Here, you might need this, since you obviously have no concept of what "TRANSLATION" means
EndlessWaltz24
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gekiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger
Dreamy: Hirata Yuka (Mele)
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by EndlessWaltz24 »

^Seriously, don't complain. Go somewhere else if you really dislike it.

On another note, I thought "kita" was the past tense of "kuru" (to come)? Isn't "yatta" japanese for yay? So shouldn't it be more of "space has arrived"? Sorry, I only know a little bit of Japanese so there's a really good chance that I'm wrong. :?
TG23
Gabu
Dreamy: Hell Wolf-kun
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Killing You Guys

Post by TG23 »

That rocket arm looks worse and worse every time I see it... and the missle boot and drill boot... Oh you know what? It kinda reminds me of Grand Convey. He had a blue and yellow boot too. Sorry, thinking about a different trailer as I write about this one.

Also "kita" seems the more accurate way to use the phrase since it's one of those vague, embodiment or collection of meanings, context sensitive/changing words that english can't accurately pin down in the same breath because english is too accurate by comparision. Maybe TVN will change it after the first few episodes when they get a better sense of the character and how he use the word or a random press release from the creators deciding on what sense they are using "kita" in. As from the trailers that I've seen, the closest translations in context seem to be "Space, come!" "Space appear!" "Space has appeared!" "Space is here!" "Space is coming!" "Space has shown itself" "Space is before me!" which all are kinda weird for a catch phrase. Heck even "Space, Taa daa!" seems to work. Also for accuracy sake, wouldn't it be "(choose english for kita), space!" For right now, "Space kita" or it being untranslated seems the best.

Plus there have been plenty of people arguing when TVN did translate a word into english. I remember arguing over W's and Axel's catch phase and in hindsight, it might have been better to leave those untranslated too.
EndlessWaltz24 wrote:^Seriously, don't complain. Go somewhere else if you really dislike it.

On another note, I thought "kita" was the past tense of "kuru" (to come)? Isn't "yatta" japanese for yay? So shouldn't it be more of "space has arrived"? Sorry, I only know a little bit of Japanese so there's a really good chance that I'm wrong. :?
Your not wrong. But Luna is right too. It's kind of like how we use words out of context or not contextually accurate at times. Like when people going "Go go go go go go!" or "whoop!" or "Ah! Ah!" or "F*** F*** F*** F***!" when we are excited. "Kita" has been used in situations where an english "ta da" or some other onomatopoeia would be used to more emphasize the emotion of the moment rather then just state something is here.
Last edited by TG23 on Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OMAETACHI, KOROCHU!

Return to “Kamen Rider Fourze”