Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

OOO as a series as a whole (Spoilers)

Post by takenoko »

So I just now realized that Ankh means the "symbol of life", which seems kind of ironic considering the third chapter of OOO as the TV series.

Overall, I thought it was a pretty good series. I liked the relationship between Eiji and Ankh, and it really seems like everything else existed to either further that relationship along, strain it, test it, etc. I also liked the Date/Gotou and Gotou/Satonaka relationships in that sense. Gotou has this nice arc from arrogance to becoming humble, starting over as a pupil then becoming a Rider in his own right. That was super good. And the Date episode where he gets confronted actually does the rare two-three levels of misdirection that actually surprised me.

That said, I kind of feel like that Hina and Kougami were never really explained. Hina's super strength was mostly a gag. Kougami just ends up as the altruistic giant company that backs up the Rider. I just don't understand what any of it meant for him as a character. He kind of unleashes these things, talks about the Medals being important, then in the end they get destroyed and the world keeps going on. Kind of seems like he didn't get anything out of the story. Even in the W/OOO movie it's like "Why are you bringing Oda Nobunaga to life? What's the point of all this?" I dunno, it just seemed like he could have been an interesting character instead of just a plot device to keep things moving along. I'm also kind of surprised that he didn't present any sort of conflict for the Riders in the series. Normally, the big powerful company is revealed to be at least somewhat corrupt, secretly working with the enemy, or at least at least as big a problem as the surface antagonist in the series. In this, nope, he just makes cakes and is eccentric.

I really like the revelations at the end of the series that reveal what the Greeed truly are and what their motivations are for doing things. In that sense, they seemed a lot more human than just monsters that attacking people for food or power or something. It justifies their mayhem and makes you at least feel a little sorry for their situation. It's good when the villains aren't just bad for the sake of being bad.

And Eiji wasn't too bad either. We learn he's become this bum because of this tragedy that happened to him. He develops this friendship with Ankh, and through that is able to become this good guy that he seeks to be. He's a simple guy with a simple desire. The only way his ending could be better is if he's in some foreign country and they showed him helping out some kid or playing with another kid. That would have really made his thing feel like it came full circle. But I guess going on a journey and being followed by ghost Ankh is fitting too.

Oh, both Mag and I kind of assumed that he would just bond with Ankh as the ultimate culmination of their friendship and as a way of keeping Ankh alive. I guess that wouldn't work since Ankh's actor would be useless then, but still.
BenDTU
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous

Re: OOO as a series as a whole (Spoilers)

Post by BenDTU »

That said, I kind of feel like that Hina and Kougami were never really explained.
I'm glad they didn't. Both the super strength and cake making were gags, and gags aren't funny after you've explained them.
DrinkItDown
RYUKI TARDFACE
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Faiz
Dreamy: Faiz Bar Tender chic
Favorite Band: L'Arc en Ciel
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Cars i suppose

Post by DrinkItDown »

Hina not being explained I can get over, but Kougami needed some sort of motivation for everything he was doing. I kept expecting the standard issue Kamen Rider "the big corporation is bad, mmk?" plot change, but it just never came.

Fourze, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Old school TVN member
formerly FA|RokkumanEXE
atilim
Douza Uru Zazaado
Favorite series: Den-O
Alignment: Neutral Evil

Post by atilim »

I personally like the character Ankh allot. He didn't really do allot of bad things (except for that single yummy) but overall he still had the whole Anti-hero feeling which I love.

Kazari as a bad guy was also really done well till he decided to take in Mezool and Gamel. After that the only thing he did was chilling in the mansion.

Purple medals started out really cool, flying suddenly to Hino and give everbody a ''WTF'' moment and when Maki took some of the medals you really wanted to know what would happen. Now the only thing what happened was that they just turned into monsters all of a sudden. I expected that both Hino and Maki having a personality change.

When Lost Ankh died I was disappointed, ever since the first time he and Ankh met they never really had a good 1vs1 or any kind of interaction. This was sad because this sub plot had decent potential which the producers didn't take advantage of. I personally would have loved to see Ankh gaining a medal or 2 and then fighting Lost Ankh and then lose to him (Lost Ankh would still be stronger because he had the body cores).

Kougami did look like a character that was only their to get the plot going sometimes and I also agree that they failed with him. We never really saw what motivates him (to bake cakes :P) or what his own desire is. He could just be a good guy but at least tell us that.

Satonaka like Kougami was also useless character....most of the time she was only eating cakes. Her role became ''bigger'' when Gotou became Birth but at this point it was kind of to late.

OOO had 1 major problem as a whole. They tried to make a Kamen Rider show story driven show but they never really went and tried to tell the complete story. Most plots feel like they skipped the middle and went straight to the ending.
Most of the rider shows I've seen they always have a major plot and then try to fit certain smaller plots in it. But OOO started out with couple of major plots instead.

What I liked about OOO
- The switching of the core medals
- The voice of the belt (both OOO and Birth)
- Kazari and Uva
-

What I would have liked to see from OOO
- That they actually developed the storys instead of just going to the ending of it
- More info about the fight 800 years ago I doubt the king and the greeds had a single fight
- Lost Ankh having more then 2 fights
- Purple medals actually having a personality, they chose Hino first they protected him at the start which ended up just being instinct. They should have gone a bit further instead they just ended up as a extra set of cores.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

I mostly agree with takenoko.

On the Kougami issue, my only problem was that it felt as if there was something more to his character at first, which the writers later decided not to focus on.
Another small issue was that many writers resulted in inconsistencies as to who possesses which Core Medals. Not a huge issue, but still they could have been more careful with it.

Eiji/Ankh, Eiji/Hina, Ankh/Hina (generally the relationship between the three of them), as well as Date/Gotou and Gotou/Satonaka were great to watch. Same for Eiji trying to rediscover his own desire.

The ending with Ankh dying might not have been ideal in the sense of "everyone is happy now that it's all over" but it was a reasonable ending to follow, which worked quite well (at first when watching the finale I was like "what, was that it?", but rewatching it, everything seemed to make way more sense. Besides, they left the possibility of Ankh returning open in the future (if writers decide that's what they want). Since they didn't do an ending with no future possibilities, and left things open (in the good way, not an open plot point for example), I'm pleased.
Behold the Emperor!
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

Its a good thing that they didn't bring Ankh back like they did with Philip. Now I'm just wondering about the next movie wars.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Oh, by the Hina thing, I was more interested in her relationship with Eiji and Ankh than her super strength. What were they? Not lovers. So just... friends? People stuck together through circumstance? With the guys it's easy, it's either good friends or epic rivals. With the women, I guess they're just kind of emotional support?

Maybe it's a fault for the simplicity of these stories, but the only major female role is to be a love interest. If that's not the case, then I'm not sure how to define their role in terms of the other characters. Towards the end, it almost seemed like she was supposed to pick Eiji or Ankh for... something. But she doesn't have any real relationship with Ankh because he's just the guy in her brother that she puts up with. At least with Eiji, he's a guy that she admires and likes and wants to help out. But if the end goal is capped at "let's be friends" it's just not that interesting, to me?
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

At least I don't remember her saying "Let's be friends" to Eiji; she was just a friend and didn't have to say it. A girl telling a man "let's be friends" is the worst thing a man can hear.
Eiji was so messed up at some point (especially after episode 38 or so) that I'm not sure whether he could even handle a relationship.
Behold the Emperor!
MaskedRideEclipse
Gabu
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Hot? Errr, TaJaDoru?
Favorite Actor?: Yu Hasebe
Favorite Band: DREAM
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Gi-Gi-Giga Scan
Quote: At the signature>>>

Post by MaskedRideEclipse »

takenoko wrote:So I just now realized that Ankh means the "symbol of life", which seems kind of ironic considering the third chapter of OOO as the TV series.
Yeah, It's some god of Egypt or whatever. I've been noticed since it's been ask at my school quiz. Question!:What is the symbol of life from Egypt(or whatever, I'd forgot) myth? It starts with an 'A'.
Answer:ANKH!!!(while wishing Ankh would come out somewhere and throw me some medal) while scoring the last spot for the final quiz but didn't win it.

Anyway, the most epic fail or a waste of OOO is THE SUIT! Regardless the OOO, Greeed or even Yummy. Looks how much GataKiriBa(3x include movie core), ShaUTa(2x) and RaToRaaTa(about 5 or less) suit being used. And the TaToBa kick(I'd like how W used Joker Maximum Drive almost every time they used CJ(even in Eternal's)) which was used thrice(including the first that didn't worked. The TaJaDoru was also a quite a waste(you know, get TaJaDoru, lose Condor(never get it again until FINALE) then used in the FINALE) Not to forget the Greeeds Complete Armor, the shortest time was Kazari(or course, get 9 medal, lose medal, die...), Gamel(twice(although the first time was a slight different)), Mezool(about a day or a night), Uva(about a day also although in pain resulting from the excessive core) and Ankh(slightly more or less than others). Maki was someabout useful a little but Eiji was total waste(if they used a totally different suit than Maki or just change the head or whatever) as used twice only and use for punching bag only. Also the Candroid seems to be forgetten (except being used by Eiji or Gotou only) after Maki left Kougami Company and HOW MANY time you've seen Eiji on the RideVendor(and the FX of the bike changing was rarely used) or even ToRideVendor?(thrice only, the first time, movie core and fighting Complete Mezool). So, for me, OOO lacks screentime for ALL the suit to be appearing at least 4 or 5 times and even the combination(I really believed they didn't showed all the OOO combination yet... right?)
-If all that I'd been said is a spoiler, then kindly delete them or put -snips-
'If you wishes to change the world, Then, you'll need to be stronger than the world itself, If you can, then, You're capables on changing the world.'
atilim
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by atilim »

Problem with female characters in kamen riders is that they are way to close to the main hero. They are so close that you actually expect them to have a relationship at some point.

When you look at Den O you will see the best example on how the female character is not a ''love interest'' for our hero. The females in Den O are more the strong big sister types where with most riders the females are the more weak (emotional) supporter type.

Edit regarding above poster:

True they hardley used some of the stuff and the way they ended the show is kind of rushed. It would have been cool if we could have seen more of the powers of a complet greed.

Regarding not using all of the combo's. it is kind of impossible since OOO has 243 normal combo's (3*3*3**3*3=243 not counting purple medals or movie).
Skull Rider
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Other rider series
Favorite Band: Maximum The Hormone
My boom: Kamen Rider
Quote: Funya~

Post by Skull Rider »

OOO have been one of the best rider series ever. Really love the medals concept. As for the first Henshin sequence, I can't help but saying 'SWORD FORM' the moment Eiji scan the TaToBa medals. It's been a joke among my friends for a few weeks until OOO finally strong enough to stand out as it's own original series.
takenoko wrote:... With the women, I guess they're just kind of emotional support?
Ping pong! Ping pong! Good thing you mentioning it, Take, thanks. IMO, that is what Hina relation between Eiji. It's a bit complicated to explain the relation between emotional support and bonds, but human do need this to push/move forward. I don't want to discuss about the other character, as for me, it's already fit perfectly.

Still waiting for Movie War Core DC to see what went missing...
Completed : V3, Amazon, Black, Black RX, ZX, Shin, J, ZO, Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim, Drive, Ghost, Ex-Aid
Barim
Sentai Senshi
Favorite series: SS: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: KR: Ryuki
Favorite Band: Queen

Post by Barim »

atilim wrote:True they hardley used some of the stuff and the way they ended the show is kind of rushed. It would have been cool if we could have seen more of the powers of a complet greed.

Regarding not using all of the combo's. it is kind of impossible since OOO has 243 normal combo's (3*3*3**3*3=243 not counting purple medals or movie).
Indeed it felt rushed, after the final episode, I felt like 1 or 2 more episodes would have been useful.

In simple terms, the plot is a train that speeds up as it progresses. Normally it comes to a nice standstill, but OOO crashed and burned. It had too much going to resolve properly in the one episode. Not that I didn't like the series, I loved the slow build-up from happy happy child show, to wow, dark and multi dimensional villains.

Also, are you sure of 243? Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Gray leads to 5 possible medals per body part. 5*5*5 leads to 125 combinations.
Spoiler
Once the Heron to set his path,
Twice the Heron to name him true,
Once the Dragon for remembrance lost,
Twice the Dragon for the price he must pay.
atilim
Douza Uru Zazaado

Post by atilim »

[quote]Also, are you sure of 243? Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, Gray leads to 5 possible medals per body part. 5*5*5 leads to 125 combinations.[/quote

5 greeds each have 3 different medals OOO could use.

You could use 2 Red medals and a Green, 2 Red medals and a Blue, 2 Red medals and a Yellow, 2 Red medals and a Gray and just 3 Red medals.

I could be counting it wrong but honestly I don't care since you don't really get to see every single combination anyway.
Skull Rider
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Other rider series
Favorite Band: Maximum The Hormone
My boom: Kamen Rider
Quote: Funya~

Post by Skull Rider »

Well, I've been listing possible combos from the 5 Greeeds Core Medals. Each listing begins with the head Core Medals. A side note that this exclude the movie and PuToTyra as PuToTyra can't mix and match with other core medals. 25 for each list. Let me know if there any redundant, thanks.

Taka/Ankh
Spoiler
Taka * Kujaku * Condor >>> (TaJaDor)
Taka * Kujaku * Batta
Taka * Kujaku * Cheetah
Taka * Kujaku * Tako
Taka * Kujaku * Zhou

Taka * Kamakiri * Condor
Taka * Kamakiri * Batta
Taka * Kamakiri * Cheetah
Taka * Kamakiri * Tako
Taka * Kamakiri * Zhou

Taka * Tora * Condor
Taka * Tora * Batta >>> (TaToBa)
Taka * Tora * Cheetah
Taka * Tora * Tako
Taka * Tora * Zhou

Taka * Unagi * Condor
Taka * Unagi * Batta
Taka * Unagi * Cheetah
Taka * Unagi * Tako
Taka * Unagi * Zhou

Taka * Gorilla * Condor
Taka * Gorilla * Batta
Taka * Gorilla * Cheetah
Taka * Gorilla * Tako
Taka * Gorilla * Zhou

Kuwagata/Uva
Spoiler
Kuwagata * Kamakiri * Condor
Kuwagata * Kamakiri * Batta >>> (GataKiriBa)
Kuwagata * Kamakiri * Cheetah
Kuwagata * Kamakiri * Tako
Kuwagata * Kamakiri * Zhou

Kuwagata * Kujaku * Condor
Kuwagata * Kujaku * Batta
Kuwagata * Kujaku * Cheetah
Kuwagata * Kujaku * Tako
Kuwagata * Kujaku * Zhou

Kuwagata * Tora * Condor
Kuwagata * Tora * Batta
Kuwagata * Tora * Cheetah
Kuwagata * Tora * Tako
Kuwagata * Tora * Zhou

Kuwagata * Unagi * Condor
Kuwagata * Unagi * Batta
Kuwagata * Unagi * Cheetah
Kuwagata * Unagi * Tako
Kuwagata * Unagi * Zhou

Kuwagata * Gorilla * Condor
Kuwagata * Gorilla * Batta
Kuwagata * Gorilla * Cheetah
Kuwagata * Gorilla * Tako
Kuwagata * Gorilla * Zhou

Lion/Kazari
Spoiler
Lion * Tora * Condor
Lion * Tora * Batta
Lion * Tora * Cheetah >>> (LaToraTa)
Lion * Tora * Tako
Lion * Tora * Zhou

Lion * Kujaku * Condor
Lion * Kujaku * Batta
Lion * Kujaku * Cheetah
Lion * Kujaku * Tako
Lion * Kujaku * Zhou

Lion * Kamakiri * Condor
Lion * Kamakiri * Batta
Lion * Kamakiri * Cheetah
Lion * Kamakiri * Tako
Lion * Kamakiri * Zhou

Lion * Unagi * Condor
Lion * Unagi * Batta
Lion * Unagi * Cheetah
Lion * Unagi * Tako
Lion * Unagi * Zhou

Lion * Gorilla * Condor
Lion * Gorilla * Batta
Lion * Gorilla * Cheetah
Lion * Gorilla * Tako
Lion * Gorilla * Zhou

Shachi/Mezool
Spoiler
Shachi * Unagi * Condor
Shachi * Unagi * Batta
Shachi * Unagi * Cheetah
Shachi * Unagi * Tako >>> (ShaUTa)
Shachi * Unagi * Zhou

Shachi * Kujaku * Condor
Shachi * Kujaku * Batta
Shachi * Kujaku * Cheetah
Shachi * Kujaku * Tako
Shachi * Kujaku * Zhou

Shachi * Kamakiri * Condor
Shachi * Kamakiri * Batta
Shachi * Kamakiri * Cheetah
Shachi * Kamakiri * Tako
Shachi * Kamakiri * Zhou

Shachi * Tora * Condor
Shachi * Tora * Batta
Shachi * Tora * Cheetah
Shachi * Tora * Tako
Shachi * Tora * Zhou

Shachi * Gorilla * Condor
Shachi * Gorilla * Batta
Shachi * Gorilla * Cheetah
Shachi * Gorilla * Tako
Shachi * Gorilla * Zhou

Sai/Gamel
Spoiler
Sai * Gorilla * Condor
Sai * Gorilla * Batta
Sai * Gorilla * Cheetah
Sai * Gorilla * Tako
Sai * Gorilla * Zhou >>> (SaGoZo)

Sai * Kujaku * Condor
Sai * Kujaku * Batta
Sai * Kujaku * Cheetah
Sai * Kujaku * Tako
Sai * Kujaku * Zhou

Sai * Kamakiri * Condor
Sai * Kamakiri * Batta
Sai * Kamakiri * Cheetah
Sai * Kamakiri * Tako
Sai * Kamakiri * Zhou

Sai * Tora * Condor
Sai * Tora * Batta
Sai * Tora * Cheetah
Sai * Tora * Tako
Sai * Tora * Zhou

Sai * Unagi * Condor
Sai * Unagi * Batta
Sai * Unagi * Cheetah
Sai * Unagi * Tako
Sai * Unagi * Zhou
Completed : V3, Amazon, Black, Black RX, ZX, Shin, J, ZO, Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim, Drive, Ghost, Ex-Aid
Ivanhobe
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Ultraman Nexus
2nd Favorite Series: Den-o
Dreamy: Hana-san
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Mortal Kombat
Quote: "Shut up and eat an umaboshi!" - Inui Takumi

Post by Ivanhobe »

As a whole OOO is definetly a good series, but it is not without it flaws.

I think the higher point of OOO is Ankh, he is quite an unusual character for kamen rider, somewhat of an antihero but more of a villain than anything else. Certainly it was his relationship with hina and eiji what carried the series but it did it in a different way than any other rider series. What made ankh great for me was how he was never really a hero or a good guy, he was always the villain and i kind of expected him to become the final boss or something, the entire series he was a bad guy who had to work with the good guys because he had no choice, there was some emphasis of this in the earlier episodes and in the end it kind of payed off, the moment he regained his power he turned against eiji, but as soon as he joined the other Greeeds we saw that he was really more than a greeed, his desire was in a way greater than the desire of the others.

This brings me to another point, when i began watching OOO (i can´t believe it has already been a year) i thought the idea of the Greeeds as the bad guys was cool, on one corner we had eiji, the ultimate Bump who had no desire whatsoever, truly an altruistic person, and on the other side we had the greeeds who were literally greed, ambition and desire, the exact oposite of our main hero. At first i thought that they would play it safe and would tell a story about nobility and giving one self to others or something like that, but at the end what surprised me the most was that as we get to know the greeeds, it turns out that they weren´t really evil, aside from Maki who wanted to destroy everything, you can say that OOO´s had no villans since the greeed weren´t evil, they just wanted to live, to experiment the same joy living beings take for granted, and as we get to know eiji we realize that he himself wasn´t as "altruistic" as we once thought, he had desire but he had regrets, it is just as date-san once said, he was burned in the inside because he could not achieve his desire and that almos destroys him.

The point is that at the end we reached a common ground were OOO and the greeeds weren´t really different, they both existed for their desires just like everyone else. Just as eiji himself said, it is not wrong to have a desire, the important thing is what you do with it, and that was the final outcome of the series, ultimately the greeeds ended up being controlled by their desires, and Eiji ended up giving into his desire, but he understood that his power alone is not enough and that there is nothing wrong in taking help from others, even if you try to help. And on the middle of this we had Ankh who like the other greeeds just wanted to live, but instead of fullfiling his desire through other people, he ended up understanding what being alive was thanks to what he received from others. That´s what makes his ending so perfect, he died just like a living being, he faced his own end, and did it not because he had a change of heart, but because others had already given him what he desired, he was fullfilled, something none other greeed achieved.

Another point of interest is hina, i understand what others said about how her role in the series wasn´t really clear and i can concede to that, in many points it seemed like she had something for eiji but that never happened. The thing that helps me understand the role of hina is eiji and the way things ended, at the end eiji "learned" that it is okey to give your hand to other and to take theirs as well. That is exactly what Hina was trying to do the whole time, in a way she was just like eiji, someone who didn´t had the power to help others, but eiji gained the power of OOO and she had nothing, she only had her own power which she tried to use to help eiji, and in a way it worked, at the end Eiji took her hand and she managed to give him the help he needed. At the very least that was the role she played but it could have been better, if Eiji´s epiphany had focused more on how hina was always trying to reach out his hand for him, it would have given a better conclusion for both characters.

Now that the good stuff is out of the way let´s focus on the bad stuff yayy!!

The main problem with OOO is that it didn´t had a very good pacing, for example starting with episode 14 i think, they started to build up Tajadoru, and when it finally appeared it was great, one of the best moments in the series, but then we had 2 episodes with the Hopper yummy that kind of killed the mood we had, after that we had some build up on the mistery of ankh and just when things got interesting again, the rhythm was utterly killed with the anniversary episodes. This happened all through out the series, individually every arc was very good, ankh´s mystery, kazari as a container, uva´s schemes, the whole birth deal, they were all great stories, but the show focused in one at the time while leaving the others at the side, you watch the series in one point and you get that the greeeds are bad and kazari is even badder, fast forward 20 episodes and now it´s all about the Birth´s. If they had taken all these stories and mixed them in a better way it would have improved the series, personally i think that the characters and stories are better than what we saw in W, but W had a better story telling.

As a result of this there are things that could have been handled a lot better, for example gotou, he was a great character with great development, his slow process to become birth is one of the best parts of OOO´s, but it took too damn long, when he finally became birth the series was almost over, he is great as birth, but we didn´t get to see a lot of him, and is a shame because if you ask me, you could pretty much get rid of OOO´s and make a full series out of Birth, Gotou is that good, specially when he is with Date-san. Maybe that was Kougami´s objective.....Kamen Rider Birth!!!

Wow, this was a long post, but that pretty much sums up my feeling on OOO´s, i liked it, it´s a good series with great story and great characters, it certainly sets itself apart from other rider series since it has its very own style from begining to end, it has some pacing issues but it never gets boring, and even though the ending was a bit rushed, it worked perfectly and achieved what it wanted to achieve.

Still, Cake Boss will remain a mistery forever and ever......

Return to “Kamen Rider OOO”