< W | OOO | Fourze >
Kamen Rider Raven
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: Double
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Shotaro
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Re: OOO as a series as a whole (Spoilers)

Post by Kamen Rider Raven »

All in all, OOOs was pretty good. Not as strong as W, but definitely stronger than Decade in terms of story. I'm really glad that Ankh and Eiji didn't become best buds or anything. At least not until the very end arguably. Dr Maki played the villian role pretty well, though I know I'm not the only one who expected Kougami to fill that role.

Watching the movie makes me wonder though. How different would things be if the vision imagined in the movie made it to the TV series.

A good series. I hope Fourze is at least as good.
Blackcondorguy
7X
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Timeranger
Favorite Band: Dinosaur Jr
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Blackcondorguy »

Personally, I enjoyed OOO a lot more than W. I can't explain why but I often felt a bit bored watching W and its constant 2 episode arcs. There was something to the characters in OOO, like most of them really evolved through the series.

It's true that a lot of plots weren't worked as well as they could have been, but all in all the series is good. In my opinion, having Gotou in the cast from the beginning and then watching him grow into Birth was one of the strongest points. It departed from the usual second rider arriving out of the blue.

Everything has already been said about why Eiji and Ankh are great characters, and how their relationship with each other and Hina were interesting, so I won't add anything to it. More than having an explanation for Kougami, I think we could have seen more interactions between him and Maki, since they were introduced as complete opposites (one extrovert and obsessed with beginnings, the other introvert and obsessed with the end). It felt like Kougami didn't really play his role to the end and was more of a deus ex machina than a character fitting in the story.

Overall, I think there should have been more episodes, so that the writers could work the plot better. It 's still the rider show I've enjoyed the most these last 5 years or so.
kokowaks
Salami Commander

Post by kokowaks »

not having stand alone (bi)episodes and having great character development is one of the strongest points of OOO as a series... something i found weak on W... hope to see more of these in fourze... :D
ShinkenSilver
Gao

Post by ShinkenSilver »

I think the main point of Hina is that she's Shingo's sister. In the beginning Eiji just wanted to save Shingo because it was the right thing to do, but in becoming friends with Hina he now had a more personal reason. As he gradually grew closer to Ankh, getting Shingo back became less a matter of right and wrong and more Eiji having to choose between his two friends.

Speaking of things being more complex than just good and evil, one of my favorite things about the series was how it subverted expectations. In the beginning you have the classic tale of an altruistic hero taking on evil monsters who lust for destruction. But then it starts peeling back the curtain; as we learn about Eiji past his endless self sacrifice starts taking on a whole new meaning. Rather than admiring him for sacrificing for the sake of others we start to become concerned with how little he seems to care about his own life. Likewise as we learn the origins and psychology of the Greeed we actually begin to pity them a bit. As much as they make other people suffer they themselves are suffering by the very nature of their existence. They were born to fufill the ambitions of the original OOO, and they died to fufill the ambitions of Dr. Maki. Their entire existence consisted of them being used and discarded for the sake of other people's desires, is it any wonder that the abused turned into the abuser?
KillerGazebo
Gao
Quote: Now...count up your sins!

Post by KillerGazebo »

The last post made a very good point about feeling sorry for the Greeed. I think OOO is the first series that ever makes you legitimately care about the villians. Of course the one we care most about is Ankh but I found myself feeling sorry for Gamel when Mezool dies and he basically goes insane over the grief. I also felt bad for Uva. He had managed to basically go it alone for most of the series just to end up being the pawn of Dr.Maki's plan for Kazari and Ankh.

Overall, OOO will definitely go into my top 5 kamen rider series, it's not quite as good as W or Blade but it's damn close.

Here's what bothered me, personally, about the series.

Gotou becoming Birth was a very well done episode...but I feel like it should have been done earlier in the series. We only get about 5 or 6 episodes of Gotou-Birth alone before Date comes back to fight along side him (granted I liked Date coming back). I feel like Gotou should have had some more time to be Birth alone.

The very early departure of Mezool and Gamel around episode 17 or 18 seemed strange, granted they did come back much later but I feel like the middle of the series focused very much on Kazari which, in my opinion, kind of wasted the potential of a plot being driven by a group of villians that all have equal amounts of screen time. The 5 Greeeds in the beginning and having one defect in the first episode was something that really attracted me to the series so it's disappointing that more wasn't done with this.

Both of these things did disappoint me but not enough to stop me from watching the series. What was done right with story, the characters, the look of the riders, and the MUSIC was enough to keep me addicted to this show. :D
Completed: Faiz, Blade, Hibki, Kabuto, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Go-Onger, Shinkenger, Gokaiger
Watching: Fourze, Gobusters, Akibaranger
alteralias
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
Favorite series: Ryuki, Blade, Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto, Sh15uya
Dreamy: Jabi from Garo
Favorite Actor?: Ninomiya Kazunari
Alignment: Chaotic Evil
My boom: Tentacles

Post by alteralias »

Is it just me that thinks that Cakeboss planned for Eiji to be OOOs? I mean his first part time was at Kougami Art Museum right? Considering Cakeboss's influence, it wouldn't be too hard for him to make Eiji step into OOO's shoes.

Consider the following:
He never once thought of making someone else into OOO's instead.
He told Gotou to stop messing up Eiji's pace.

But I guess we will never know for sure.
Kamen Rider
Gabu
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
My boom: Gaim
Quote: おばあちゃんはこう言ってた。天の道を行き、総てを司る男………俺の名は天道総司

Post by Kamen Rider »

alteralias wrote:Is it just me that thinks that Cakeboss planned for Eiji to be OOOs? I mean his first part time was at Kougami Art Museum right? Considering Cakeboss's influence, it wouldn't be too hard for him to make Eiji step into OOO's shoes.

Consider the following:

But I guess we will never know for sure.
OMG, that is so true....I feel stupid for not even thinking of that O.O
HyperDrake
Gabu
Favorite series: BLADE
2nd Favorite Series: KUUGA
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Quote: "Rotten branches weaken even a great tree."

Post by HyperDrake »

alteralias wrote:Is it just me that thinks that Cakeboss planned for Eiji to be OOOs? I mean his first part time was at Kougami Art Museum right? Considering Cakeboss's influence, it wouldn't be too hard for him to make Eiji step into OOO's shoes.

Consider the following:
>>> No, it's not just you, but the guy who posted right after you also does think so. It's a mere coincidence. Eiji becoming OOO depends solely on Ankh's discretion. Even if Cakeboss was setting Eiji to become OOO, Cakeboss could do nothing if Ankh had decided to not giving the OOO belts to Eiji in the first place.
D-MOBB
There are four lights!
There are four lights!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Escape-Misaki Ayame
Favorite Actor?: Tommy Lee Jones
Favorite Band: The Hives
My boom: Super Sentai
Quote: I only come in one flavor...ME!

Post by D-MOBB »

It had been quite a ride, and I honestly zoned out on the plot stuff until pretty much the end. I paid a whole lot more attention to the fights, and Date cause, hell, that's just what kept my interest piqued.

The fights usually had some random wackyness in there and plenty of medal swapping for ya until Eiji got those purple medals...then he was just kickin' butt every episode! I thought Date was the coolest character. He's cool, and calm at times really focused, but he can be a bit of goof too. When he fights he leaves it all out there on the battlefield...taking his opponents out however he saw fit (which was usually weaken them then leave em for Eiji and scoop up the cell medals after the 'splosion).

I like how Ankh turned toward the 'evil' (simply put) side of things near the end. I think if he actually was able to carry out his plan to go out of control it would've surprised me bunches! But, we all know how that turned out and that was pretty decent to me. Ankh had his life, one he never really had before...the meaning justifaiz the writing. Lovely.

Eiji bored me to death. It just felt like the same old, same old with him each episode. Why was Hina even in this show half the time? I wish she'd have had a more significant role (especially in the fights) in the show besides just helping Chiyoko (and throwing rocks at Yummies). Speaking of Chiyoko, she and Satonaka were HOT! I was actually glad to see Satonaka out there gettin' in the fray a bit and forming closer relationships with Goutou, Date, and Eiji. But I could deal with the cold, Ice Queen attitude any day.

My favorite Greed, Kazari. I love sly, slick, tricky characters for some reason (Starscream). Plus he was just badass lookin'!

Lastly my favorite part of the show was Cake Boss! Even though he was just there [basically] supporting habits (he was a pusher...of desire) I still loved him because of his eccentricities/loud suits.

He was virtually useless and his theme song was badass! Sue me.

OOO was pretty good, but not great. Hope they hold my attention with Fourze!
Flare Phoenix
7X

Post by Flare Phoenix »

I liked the ending to OOOs. At least they didn't include one more episode where Ankh comes back to life due to some previously unmentioned bullshit, because obviously everything has to be hunky-dorey and no way could a series actually end on a somber note (sorry, the ending to W REALLY pissed me off... it should have ended one episode earlier...)
D-MOBB
There are four lights!
There are four lights!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Escape-Misaki Ayame
Favorite Actor?: Tommy Lee Jones
Favorite Band: The Hives
My boom: Super Sentai
Quote: I only come in one flavor...ME!

Post by D-MOBB »

Flare Phoenix wrote:I liked the ending to OOOs. At least they didn't include one more episode where Ankh comes back to life due to some previously unmentioned bullshit, because obviously everything has to be hunky-dorey and no way could a series actually end on a somber note (sorry, the ending to W REALLY pissed me off... it should have ended one episode earlier...)
Yes! That was complete & utter bullshit! Glad I wasn't the only one who thought so...

Since the medals are gone, how are they gonna keep OOO going in the movies? More KR BS maybe?
TexasRed
Complacent masses
Complacent masses
Favorite series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Luka
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Sentai in general
Quote: "Tenkagomen no Samurai Sentai; SHINKENGER!"

"FANFIC!" *take a shot*

Post by TexasRed »

I have to admit that I wish they'd extrapolated more on why Kougami was so interested in the Medals. Cell and Core alike. The Birthday cakes made PERFECT sense to me, as he was always celebrating new beginnings.

(it got to the point that anytime someone reaches a new point in their life around me, I yell out HAPPY BIRTHDAY! It's awesome.)

The character I felt was MAJORLY under used was Shinou. Hina's brother deserved more, in my opinion.
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

So uhhh... One thing I found this series was missing was the surprise Foundation X link at the end.
Doguso
Go Go!
Favorite series: OOO/Faiz
2nd Favorite Series: W
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Doguso »

HyperDrake wrote:

Consider the following:
>>> No, it's not just you, but the guy who posted right after you also does think so. It's a mere coincidence. Eiji becoming OOO depends solely on Ankh's discretion. Even if Cakeboss was setting Eiji to become OOO, Cakeboss could do nothing if Ankh had decided to not giving the OOO belts to Eiji in the first place.
Not true. Kougami knew a LOT about greeeds including their history. He must've known that Ankh was just an arm due to the final battle and that he was harmless alone. Kougami set Eiji up, who was a perfect container and gullible enough to be "manipulated" by Ankh, making it an obvious choice for Ankh to use Eiji as OOO. Kougami predicted Ankh's actions, which is shown by the deal Ankh makes with Kougami about the cell medal split 60/40.

Also Kougami's sole objective was to generate further greeed and motive in the world. He wanted humans to evolve. The best way for humans to evolve is by greeed. The manifestation of greed are the greeeds. The only thing more powerful than that is True OOO. Kougami's objective the whole series was to take human's current greed, make cell medals (by the greeeds' natural greed) and then have Ankh help Eiji realize his own desires and help Eiji, who wanted power to help the world, become True OOO ultimately allowing humans to evolve by being a true benevolent god. Or as Kougami stated True OOO was. It's not what you'd think an organization's leader would tend to do, especially in a Kamen Rider, but it makes sense overall. And I'm glad there was no Foundation X link, that would've ruined how great the show was, even if just a little. That was a W tribute...
kokowaks
Salami Commander

Post by kokowaks »

no one bosses cake boss... not even foundation X

Return to “Kamen Rider OOO”