Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Makai Senki 04 released

Post by takenoko »

So I didn't really care for this episode. It smacks of filler, which is accentuated by Rei's appearance at the end of the last episode, but not this episode. Was that all that they said to each other after not seeing each other in all these years? What did they talk about after sharing chests?

Anyway, there were just too many dumb moments. Like Kouga had nothing to gain by revealing that Ririka was cheating, it just got her trapped by the Horror. Isn't he supposed to be a good guy? Plus the plan to get himself captured on purpose seemed really dumb. The Horror could have just said no and left him trapped. And the Horror knows which card he uses for his dimension thing. Is he really so stupid that he'd let Kouga near those card trapping his victims? A story just isn't fun to watch where the plot devices depend on everyone being an idiot for the story to occur (see Star Wars prequels criticism)

At least we got to see some guest stars. There's Murakami (is it?) who was Kaixa in Faiz and that other guy in Cutie Honey the Live. There's that nerdy guy who was a guest in Kiva and various other toku shows as well as the Densha Otoko movie. And there's that girl who was the guest star in the first episode of Cutie Honey the Live. I wonder what the deal was with her and Daisuke. I checked and the names are different from Cutie Honey. Something about how she acts all sweet but mistreats men made me think they were similar characters.

Preview spoiler:
Spoiler
Holy crap, is that Jinno from W?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Re: Garo Makai Senki 04 released

Post by Catastrophe »

Yeah is was Mirakami. I had to double take a bit because of the beard.

This plot just reeks of unoriginal writing. The poker game for soul thing was done back in 1988 in JoJo's Bizarre adventure, and probably before that as well. The writer for this episode must have really been up to SFA.

*Checks writer for episode*

*Turns out to be Inoue*

*Insert Kagami MFW reaction*

Well. It explains a lot. The lead writers only did episodes 1 and 2, and apparently are doing 6-8, so I expect the reason why 3 and 4 (and possibly 5 to come) may be a bit... well...shit below the traditional GARO plot levels.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

God damn, if a straight flush is "beginner's luck" then Kouga needs to go to Vegas! As an occasional poker player, can I just say that those hands were pretty damn unbelievable, but then again, everyone loves to see a royal flush no matter if the chances are 1 in 649,739.

Lol Kaixa has a goatee.
neonblue2
Gabu
Favorite series: A lot
My boom: Kitties!

Post by neonblue2 »

Damn, Kusaka. You go on and on about how Orphnoch are evil and then you become a Horror? What's wrong with you? :D

If only Rei had appeared in this episode. They could have had a reunion and tried to kill each other like the good ol' days.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Playing bar chess maybe?

One of the 2003 SHT openings had the two of them playing chess, checkers or Shogi. I can't find the link anymore on youtube but it was pretty funny.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

No episode can be completely bad where Kaixa gets beaten up and killed.

I wonder if it's going to be a running gag of Makai Senki to put Kouga in situations you wouldn't expect to see him in. Kind of amusing, but it does get old when you stop to think about how odd a scenario is with Kouga thrown into the middle of it.

I'm guessing Rei is just a guest star. Probably won't have more than a few minutes every couple episodes, until maybe the last episode, when it's time to confront the mysterious tattoo artist. Just a guess.

Even though they're not in the episode for long, the moments between Kaoru and Gonza are adorable. Kaoru's activities during the credits, and the glimpse at the pages of her story, are also very neat.
DrinkItDown
RYUKI TARDFACE
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Blade
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Faiz
Dreamy: Faiz Bar Tender chic
Favorite Band: L'Arc en Ciel
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Cars i suppose

Post by DrinkItDown »

*shrug* I guess its another episode that I liked, just like the last. The show just started, it's not time to delve into heavy plot yet. I like these regular Horror of the week episodes.
Old school TVN member
formerly FA|RokkumanEXE
Devil D
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade

Post by Devil D »

Yeah, I miss the times when he would come in and say "Hey! I am going to kill you for no reason" and our hero would be like "Yo moma!" And then they would have an epic battle, and then for dinner one of them kills a horror and then they are like "same time next week?"
Alessar
Salami Commander
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

I liked it. I thought it was a fun episode. I think it was a certain amount of catchup for new viewers.

I liked it showed Kouga was about to sit down and play cards with Kaoru and Gonza, he's really defrosted since the first series. Then, it was actually pretty funny when it showed he was such a fish out of water he didn't know anything about poker. You could just put thought bubbles on Grace-sama and Leo that he was that uh, dedicated to is knightly lifestyle. And, of course for the benefit of any new viewers it's been made absolutely clear that Kaoru is the most important thing in the world to him, even if they're not smooching every second.

I think he turned Ririka in not only because she was cheating (thus offending his honor) but also because he needed to make sure she wasn't using magic (and thus the horror). He also probably wasn't expecting individual cells on the other side of the barrier/gate, so I'll chalk that up to cockiness.

Mid-air armor summon, woo!
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

I thought this episode was cool. It kept me interested and wanted to know who was the Horror too. But of course, it turned out to be Kaixa. He's always the villain. Lol...It never gets old to keep seeing him get beat in whatever he appears whether it's Faiz, Cutie Honey, or Garo. Whenever I see these high powered Poker hands in TV/movies, I always find it to be fake because it hardly happens in real life. Oh well though, it does help make for interesting situations. I thought the chick who kept cheating was cute. I also thought all the other chicks in the background were hot too. What a way to get me distracted from the poker action. Haha...
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

Well, that was easy as hell to figure out who the Horror was. Though sadly his role wasn't as "flamboyant" as I am used to. Kaoru and the ol' man made me laugh. Kouga well, ::shrugs:: he seems to be the flat tire in this series. Is it sad that i am saying Kouga's role in this series now bores the hell out of me and kind of annoys me?
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT

Post by Catastrophe »

I like the branching out with Kouga. Driving a car, wearing proper clothes this episode (although they mysteriously change back after he finishes the battle). I like what they did with this episode, even if it was obviously done to save the budget.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

I think Kouga's suit was overtop his bondage gear and the Garo armour burned it off. That's the most logical explanation.
Devil D
That's so ridiculous
That's so ridiculous
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Decade

Post by Devil D »

i liked the noir-esque feel to this episode. It had a good mystery, a good fight, and a great atmosphere. I have noticed though that lately the final battles lack that sense of intensity but Kouga slicing his way through the minions was pretty awesome.
m4rc0
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Quote: Hit the beat, keep your beat
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by m4rc0 »

Garo: Cassino Royale. Kouga's plan wasn't very smart and there wasn't a lot of fights, but i kinda liked the episode.

Garo's MOTW episodes are always nice.

LOL @ awkward silence when Kouga says he can't play poker.

And it's always nice to see Kaixa getting beat up.

Return to “Makai Senki”