Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Fourze 09 released

Post by takenoko »

Wow, they didn't save Firestates till the second part. Weird?!

I like how Gentarou is surprised when he tries the gun and finds out it's a fire extinguisher. This is what comes out of the Fire Switch?! Inflammable means flammable?! What a country!

Also, the gun name is awful. Hee-HackGun is pretty retarded. Hee-hakku is pretty much hi haku 火吐く or "spits out fire".

Also, what's the deal with the pool witch's teeth? When she opens it, you can see something metallic in the bottom row.
SacredCultivator
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Dreamy: Ichimichi Mao
My boom: Fansubbing

Re: KR Fourze 09 released

Post by SacredCultivator »

CUTE Yuuki again with the Uchuu Kita~ posing alongside Gentarou.
(Then later on even JK does it with Yuuki as well.)

Miu showing concern for Shun was priceless ^_^
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Another thing that amused me about this episode is seeing Rabbit Hutch's further evolution. From a sterile place of science (also Kengo and Yuuki's secret love hideaway) to Miu's beauty counter and Shun bringing in his work out equipment since he's a jock. I guess JK also messes up the place too somehow.

What will Nozama bring when she eventually joins?!
SacredCultivator
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Dreamy: Ichimichi Mao
My boom: Fansubbing

Post by SacredCultivator »

Goth corner, so she'll stick out int he corner that's all black.

Overall a good episode due to how you see everyone sorta working together as friends.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

The only thing that really bothers me is that everyone was okay with hanging around near Nozama the past two or so episodes so them being scared of her all of a sudden feels really jarring. Especially Shun; his scene of "that used to be me." was really good but dude, don't go late-series Takuma on us... please?!

That said, I'm just glad Camera wasn't as useless as I was expecting. It's a stronger Burgermeal, I can deal with that.
Arigomi
Save the life
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Board Games

Post by Arigomi »

takenoko wrote:Also, what's the deal with the pool witch's teeth? When she opens it, you can see something metallic in the bottom row.
I'm guessing those a lingual braces. They are attached to the back side of the teeth as an alternative to normal braces.

I'm surprised she has braces at all. Many Japanese people tend to only visit the dentist when there's a problem like a sore tooth or cavity. It is one of the reasons why you will find Japanese idols with not-so-perfect smiles. Some fans like these imperfections because it makes them more approachable. I guess the trend is changing (at least for people in show business) and Japanese dentists have made some progress with convincing the Japanese public about the benefits of preventive care through regular checkups.

I guess every tenth Switch is special and unlocks a new form.

Tomoko wants to become a Witch of the Moon? I guess she'll need to learn to harness her "Moon Prism Power". She already has the "Makeup" part covered being a goth.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I wouldn't be too sure about that dentist thing, apparently they have surgery now to create imperfect teeth to just that "approachable" effect you mentioned.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

I think JK’s contributions to the Clubroom’s decor include the beach chair, the posters, and the jukebox.

Favorite moment of the episode - Shun clutching a pink and white striped pillow to his chest while the other Club members discuss witches and their curses...I don’t see that helping his kingly image. I was impressed later in the episode with how introspective he was about his past behavior.

Hey, it’s been a while since we heard Kengo call something a waste of time. I wonder how Gentarou convinced him to come along to the witch meeting. Maybe he appointed himself chaperon knowing the trouble Gentarou and Yuuki were likely to get into on their own.

Well, thanks to Tomoko, we have a better idea of where Gentarou stores his Switches

This school is bizarre. The teacher looks like he’s about to scold Yuuki and Gen for whispering, but JK and Miu are allowed to interrupt without any consequence?

Looks like Amane was destined to be a delinquent in her teenage years even with the benefit of Chalice’s influence.

After the last episode, I speculated that Nozama might take over some of the tech responsibilities in the Club. After this episode, I think they may go the direct opposite route and have her pick up on the things that the tech can’t thanks to her spiritual senses. I guess it depends on what happens next episode.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Holy shit, Amane is the actress for Altar Zodiarts? That's crazy
Crimzonite
Mega

Post by Crimzonite »

takenoko wrote:Holy shit, Amane is the actress for Altar Zodiarts? That's crazy

Heh, I find that a little amusing, since I remember a few people briefly mistaking Yuuki's actress for Amane's when Fourze started.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

All we need is a OOO Fourze Crossover with Date and Fire States.

Fourze: I'll put out the fire.
Date: But you haven't gotten approval!
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

takenoko wrote:Wow, they didn't save Firestates till the second part. Weird?!
didn't they do this in episode 9 for Kamen Rider OOOs too when they debuted Latorarar form? plus firestates' hee-hackgun can extinguish fire O_o
Last edited by OOOKaiser on Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
JTanzer
Adventure
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by JTanzer »

Fun Halloween episode. Interesting choice to set aside the usual fight the Zodiart repeatedly thing to focus a little more on spoooooky drama.

For a kids show that relies on such broad stereotypes for a foundation, I'd say it actually handled Nozama's gothiness fairly well, or at least a little better than average (which in the case of goths is not well at all). They examined her motives fairly effectively without going to histrionic about it.

Obviously she's going to have to learn a valuable lesson about friendship soon, hopefully they can manage it without being to patronizing. Some kids are weird and have trouble making friends. Some of them wind up goths for a bit. Some of them wind up pagan for life. Nothing wrong with that at all and I hope they do not try to say otherwise.

And I hope they keep her weird when she joins the club...

Perhaps these things she's seen etc all tie in to Cosmic Energy, which she seems sensitive to. Weird. Wonder if there's going to be a big twist to her character arc later in the series or something. They've certainly built in the potential.

The whole witch thing and the other girls in the "coven"... Eh. They were what they were, there to serve a purpose for this episode and probably never be seen again, except maybe briefly next time. They overplayed the "'witches' are scary" card big time. Gen can confront the delinquents who look in their late twenties and start fights for no reason—and let's not forget he fights monsters—but a cicada husk necklace or a porcelain mask are too much for him?

Loved Yuki giving it a try. It's not that she's just the human bait, she actually likes giving new stuff a go. "Guys can't become witches," and Miu's expression at that killed me.

Another good moment was Shun's "I remember when I was like that" moment. I totally bought that. He's still arrogant, he just thinks he's not.

Miu's reaction to Shun being in the fire was also amusing.

In general, it's the little, human moments that really shine in this show. I wish they didn't bury them under so much ham.

Different sort of zodiart mystery this time, which was cool. Not exactly a surprise, but well handled.

Flash: What was that? Latorah with a kick?
Shield: I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of that one.
Gatling: Was he trying to kill her? Talk about obviously a bad idea...

I'm not impressed by Firestates. The red is very shiny. Too shiny. It looks cheap. The Hackgun is big and awkward and very toyish, but so are most of Fourze's props so that's fine.* Fire extinguishing was an interesting choice, but I guess it makes sense. Putting out fires is much more heroic than starting them. Foam blast limit break seemed a bit anticlimactic. Maybe it will have a more pronounced effect in a different context. I wonder if the limit breaks are more powerful when multiple switches are used? Like Fire (extinguisher mode) +... What would you use with a fire extinguisher?

Looks like our guesses were right about the 10th switches. 30 and 40 are yet to be revealed... We'll probably get to 30 before Christmas at this rate. Gotta buy all the toys!

Movie Preview
Spoiler
Gen gets a girlfriend and maybe she's a female rider?! Shit, she gonna die... I like the costume though.

*Nothing compared to Camera, which looks like an intern knocked it out in about twenty minutes.
Joe_Mello
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: The Iromonea

Post by Joe_Mello »

Arigomi wrote:Tomoko wants to become a Witch of the Moon? I guess she'll need to learn to harness her "Moon Prism Power". She already has the "Makeup" part covered being a goth.
I, sadly, was thinking that an episode of Umineko no Naku Koro Ni was going to break out. Luckily, that hasn't happened yet. I was a little disappointed that no one referenced Peter Pan when the goths started flying, though.

Also, the level of dramatic irony over Nozama's cunning pran is ridiculously high.
CarterSensei wrote:I wound up playing "Kaiju" for a group of 2nd graders who wanted to play sentai. I think I blew up.
HyperDrake
Gabu
Favorite series: BLADE
2nd Favorite Series: KUUGA
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Quote: "Rotten branches weaken even a great tree."

Post by HyperDrake »

>> I believe Amane-chan did try hard creating that evil laughter of hers. But, she fails in it.

>> For a girl who herself doesn't possess that much of a physical attractiveness, Amane-chan thought that she has the capacity to comment about Yuuki looking plain. I agree that Yuuki's not as attractive and gorgeous as Miu, but I thought her cuteness is more than enough to snare some guys and please do not forget about her curvy figure. Speaking of curvaceous figure, that girl in swimsuit has it too and she's quite pretty, I think.

>> Amane-chan threw those bullies in the pool but she had a change of plan, so she got them out the pool then.

>> Straps' reaction when he realized everybody is gone reminds me of Dr. Maki's reaction when his doll fell from his shoulder.
takenoko wrote:I like how Gentarou is surprised when he tries the gun and finds out it's a fire extinguisher.
>>> They probably were inspired with Kamen Rider Super-1's Hot/Cold (green colored) hands which serve as a cryogenic sprayer and a flamethrower while at the same time they did not find it stupid having a red colored switch named Fire that can shoot water/ice element.
Go-On Macaroni wrote:The only thing that really bothers me is that everyone was okay with hanging around near Nozama the past two or so episodes so them being scared of her all of a sudden feels really jarring.
>>> In past two or so episodes they barely brought up any subject about Nozama's witches stuff and cicada husk necklace so them being scared of her all of a sudden feels not that jarring.
JTanzer wrote:Flash: What was that? Latorah with a kick?
>>> That is probably a taiyo-ken switch.
Joe_Mello wrote:I was a little disappointed that no one referenced Peter Pan when the goths started flying, though

>>> Yeah, me too, considering there's no other reference at all aside from Peter Pan whenever confronted with a flying human issue.

Return to “Kamen Rider Fourze”