Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

199 Heroes Released

Post by takenoko »

Wiki: https://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Gokaiger_ ... tic_Battle

So I really enjoyed this movie. It's pure service for Sentai fans, and they do it very well. Like even the scene with DekaPink, RyuuRanger and the blue guy that doesn't really go anywhere still works since we get to see Ryou with his Chinese food cart and Umeko driving her little patrol car with Murphy. Even if they don't fight, it's still a pretty good character scene.

Actually seeing the Great Legend War was pretty good, as well as the use of the GoRanger villain as the overarching adversary. It's kind of like Kamen Rider versus Shocker, it's good to see something classic. In some ways, Zangyack still really has yet to earn the legitimacy of being the greatest adversary that Super Sentai has yet to face yet. Like the scene at the end when all the mecha appear, maybe you guys should have summoned and fought in those instead of pursuing a ground battle then turning into energy bullets.

The extra heroes were also good. I mean, it's so great to see Wolzard Fire and DekaMaster, since those were the Sentai that really got me into the genre. And Lio and Mele were great too, even though they didn't speak... and should be dead. Speaking of which, I guess the Great Legend War can't even keep the dead away since we see all sorts of dead heroes fighting in it. Given that almost everything else in Gokaiger seems to imply that all the Sentai are in the same continuity, this part just bugs me a little bit. I guess it's one of those things where it wouldn't look right without these guys.

In some ways, this was really the Gokaiger versus Goseiger movie with a much bigger scope. And it really works well in that sense. The team conflict and collaborations were interesting and I was pretty entertained throughout the movie.

It was nice to see all the main mecha in the last battle. The splicing of the old footage and new was pretty good in my opinion. They even made the transition from old to new a little grainy, which I liked. Of course, the scenes where it was an actual guy wearing the suit were even better. (Haha, you can't have DekaRanger Robo without it jumping to the side and shooting)

Heh, that joke about Buredoran being his own Sentai came true. Pretty funny.

It's always a pity to me to be watching these movies after the fact. I think it would have been fun to be in theaters and see GokaiSilver for the first time.

Hurray for creditless end sequence

Okay, so did anyone count up the heroes in this movie? I remember the speculation thread went on and on about who would or wouldn't be in it. Who was right and who wasn't?

Trivia:
The villain Kuro-Juuji Ou 黒十字王 literally means the Black Cross King
His true form Kuro-Juuji-Jou 黒十字城 means Black Cross Castle

Yogoei is a pun on Toei

The Denjiman guy's cart is called DenjiPan (pan is the Japanese word for bread)

The GoRanger's Grand Power is a nod to how they beat the final villain in their series:
The names of the original members Kaijou, Shinmei, Ooiwa, Peggy, Asuka initials spell out ka-shi-o-pe-a
海城(かいじょう)、新命(しんめい)、大岩(おおいわ)、ペギー、明日香(あすか)
This turned out to be foreshadowing for Kurojuuji Soutou's weakpoint, Cassiopeia
http://chandra.harvard.edu/photo/conste ... opeia.html
Guess those stars actually meant something, eh?

But the GoRanger, being the original and probably most Japanese, had its share of its old school problems. For one thing, they spell their name GoRenger on all their toys (Renger being a more phonetic/Japanese spelling for Ranger). Like it was tempting to write GoRen Gokai-Ou as the form name, for example.

There's also the Red Bute thing. A lot of GoRanger stuff is named after Japanese sounds. Bute being the sound of a whip being cracked. I guess the popular way of romanizing is vute, but that seemed way too arbitrary a spelling to me.

So that makes it kind of ironic when I went with Vari Vroom (バリブルーン) as the spelling for their second vehicle. Again, buruun is a Japanese sound word, specifically the sound word for vroom:
http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/leaf/je2/82655/m0u/
I know it breaks precedent from Vari Doriin and Vari Kikyun, but those names are written in English on their toys, plus dorin and kikyun don't mean anything in English. Vari Vroom spells its name in romanji on its toy and vroom is a very fitting name for a vehicle. I really don't have any evidence that this wasn't what they were going for.
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Re: 199 Heroes Released

Post by zeta_gundam »

First off, sorry for the wall of text. The abridged version goes like this: I like parts of it, questioned other parts, but enjoyed myself thoroughly.

I think there were hits and misses with this movie. After waiting about half a year, I have to say it was kind of disappointing. Maybe because I had high expectations of it. Nevertheless, it was pretty enjoyable to watch.

I think some of the awesome stuff included the backstory to the Legend War, the return of the original actors for Aka Ranger and Big One, and some of the other old school Sentai members. But... Sure, the action was awesome, and loads of fan service when we see all the mechas and all the Sentai members in action. But the plot felt quite loosely spun together. It felt more like a Goseiger tribute than a Sentai tribute. (More on this later.) However, I appreciate how the writers attempted some continuity between the movie and the main series. For example, explaining why the extra Rangers had Ranger Keys.

Now for the misses.

1. The Goseigers being in the movie - I’m sorry, but “Goseiger X Gokaiger X Super Sentai” doesn’t work for me. I would have very much appreciated a “Gokaiger X Super Sentai” special instead. I’m not even sure what kind of role the Goseigers played here. I mean, they stole back their Ranger Keys, transformed and fought the Gokaigers, and then got to understand the pirates better and gave them their powers. I dunno about you, but that’s just like any of the normal episode tributes, except we have the whole team instead. (But the Hurricanegers had that too.) I thought that the writers would have worked things from a different angle, but the movie just feels like an extended tribute episode for the Goseigers.

2. The lack of involvement from the special guests - Boukenger’s anniversary film worked better in my opinion, because they brought back some members from various earlier teams and had them kicking ass. While 199 Heroes brought some of the old heroes back, they did virtually nothing other than say a few lines. (Not withstanding that their lines weren’t all that motivating.) Sure, the older heroes no longer had their powers. But, I was expecting the various older heroes to fight in their unmasked forms when the Goseigers and Gokaigers were trapped in the subspace, but we don’t get any of that. When the main villain was attacking the city, they merely stood by and watched. They didn’t say a damn thing other than looking like emos. Seriously? We need a kid and some random dude to be the ones encouraging people? Sure, that would have shown how much impact Sentai has on the people, but it would have been nice to see the older heroes making a line or two. I honestly thought the older heroes would have done or said something, and in turn making the people encourage one another.

3. The mecha fight – Well, it’s meant to be a mecha orgasm showing all the old mechas. I guess it kinda worked, but it felt really plain. There wasn’t really much of a fight. It was pretty much just a slideshow of all the old mechas’ finishers. But I guess we have to forgive the producers, since the old mecha suits probably are worn out or hard to touch up. Like what takenoko said, the way they did the scene transitions and mixed in the actors in the suit worked out pretty well. This is just me wishing that they had more mecha action.

But, I still enjoyed it. I just like how it's actually somewhere within the canon. And with episode 40 of the main series, it also ties the Gokaigers' appearance in the Shinken x Gosei as a canonical event as well. Good job on the writers' part by tying in as many things together as possible.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Would it have worked out better if this were labeled Gokaiger vs Goseiger, since that was what it actually was? Since their real versus movie was replaced by Gokaiger vs that space sheriff and the whole series being the actual Gokaiger vs Sentai, I think this was fine. It makes sense that the latest Sentai series would appear as a group since they have a natural relationship together and they can do things like summon their mecha.

The Boukenger versus Super Sentai special was kind of terrible since the different Sentai members had no previous relationship with each other. They spent a lot of time fighting with each other and acting uncharacteristicly. I would have much preferred a Boukenger vs MagiRanger movie instead.
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies

Post by zeta_gundam »

Oh yeah, one more thing. I didn't like the Goseigers in their series, but now I hate them after this VS movie. I mean... they were the cause of all the problems in the movie really. If they didn't bother stealing the Treasure Box, then the Sentai wouldn't have been revived as baddies.

And besides, them stealing the Keys and attempting to 'talk' didn't really go well. Shouldn't they talk first before stealing the Keys?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Well, let's preemptively try to cut down on the bitching about the Goseigers in general. People aren't going to be saying anything new on that front that they didn't last year. We get it, you don't like something. We don't need to hear about it any more than we need to hear from the guys who dislike Den-O. At a certain point the negativity becomes unpleasant to listen to, which is why talking politics can get dicey.

To address your points, I feel like the justifications for the Sentai versus is pretty flimsy in general. I'm sure you wouldn't nitpick the story if it had been some Sentai that you did like.

Anyway, I think the story makes a lot of sense. The Goseigers are used to fighting off external threats to the Earth. Maybe their experiences have given them a slight xenophobic stance. Like if you were in the world of the show, why would you trust a bunch of alien pirates coming to your planet for unexplained reasons? If the Goseigers asked the Gokaigers for their keys back, they'd probably say no. And in that instance, they would have given up their upper hand and probably wouldn't have ever gotten their powers back.

Plus it addresses an important scenario. A Sentai team that wants their powers back. It would have been interesting to see what would happen if both the Gokaiger and some other Sentai team really fought over the keys and didn't let up on it. Who do the powers really belong to? The original owners? The current owners? It makes the dispute seem more realistic since it's not just black and white.
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies

Post by zeta_gundam »

To address your points, I feel like the justifications for the Sentai versus is pretty flimsy in general. I'm sure you wouldn't nitpick the story if it had been some Sentai that you did like.
>>> True that. And like I said, maybe it was a little disappointing in so much so that I had high expectations of the movie.

Plus it addresses an important scenario. A Sentai team that wants their powers back. It would have been interesting to see what would happen if both the Gokaiger and some other Sentai team really fought over the keys and didn't let up on it. Who do the powers really belong to? The original owners? The current owners? It makes the dispute seem more realistic since it's not just black and white.
>>> Yeah, I forgot to mention that point. This was also seen in the Hurricaneger tribute episodes, which canonically, occurs after the movie. All that said, it points me back to one of the points I made. Why didn't the previous Super Sentai members (in the movie) did what the Goseigers did and attempt to steal their Keys back? If memory serves me well, the Hurricanegers and Shiba Kaoru were the only ones that requested for the powers to be returned to the original owners. Everyone else pretty much gave their powers to the Gokaigers.

And I believe the powers now belong to the Gokaigers. In the Hurricaneger tribute, I believe it was Gai who mentioned that if it were not for Marvelous, the powers wouldn't be back on Earth. It's like finders keepers. Not to mention that AkaRed was the one that went Key hunting first. Speaking of AkaRed, I liked how they had a shot of AkaRed seeing the powers being scattered across space. Makes you wonder what he was doing for the last 5 years... (Sleeping like he mentioned at the end of the Bouken vs Sentai?)

All that said, anyone wonders how many years later is Gokaiger set after Goseiger? (I think this has been mentioned before?) I'm not sure, but Nozomu seems to be giving off a more 'mature' vibe, especially with his high school uniform. Not to mention the narrator says "a few years later"...
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

That was sheer fun. No movie is ever going to make everyone happy, but I thought they did an excellent job of trying to include something for every generation of super sentai fans.

I’m wavering between being satisfied and disappointed with the Legendary War scene, purely because there wasn’t much new in the main battle. They kept the new stuff on the periphery of the main battle, all of which was very interesting. The shot near the very beginning of the movie with GoseiGreat sparking (and was that one of its arms ripped off?) as a backdrop to Alata’s fight was pretty chilling. For those that question why the teams didn’t bother to fight the Zangyack ships with their various mecha - obviously they did so off-screen and were left to the last resort of fighting hand-to-hand. From a cinematic perspective, I think that was a good choice because the ending scene has that much more oomph since it's the first time that all of the mecha are participating in one battle.

We also got an explanation for why some of Basco’s keys were apart from the rest of the keys - they fought apart from the rest of the sentai teams. Kind of weak, but at least they tried to explain it.

After the battle is over, the background of the shot where the Goseigers are waking up has some fantastic detail. I know they didn’t get back the actors for all of those characters, but I really appreciated the effort they put in to have people wearing the various team jackets in the background in addition to the speaking cameos.

Speaking of cameos, it was a nice selection of former cast members that they had come back. I’m glad they had the scenes with Ryou, Umeko and Oume connect to the resolution of the plot, but I would have been okay with them even if they hadn’t. The idea that every former sentai member is on a first name basis with each other is really amusing. (Gai suddenly doesn't seem that unusual.) There are also some humorous moments to their scene, although I think it’s unintentional. I love the alarmed/exasperated look Ryou shoots Umeko when she agrees that the suicidal guy’s future might be hopeless. And Oume looks like he wants to snatch the gyoza from the guy’s hand when he hesitates in eating it.

Fire Wolzard gets an honorable mention. His actor wasn’t there in person, but I love that his line at the beginning directly references his series’ theme.

Nozomu sure grew up fast. I think the speculation is that you can figure out the intended time gap between the end of Goseiger and 199 Heroes from Nozomu’s uniform. He was in 5th year at the end of Goseiger, and it looks like his lapel in the movie has the roman numeral for 7.

As for the actual stars of the movie, they did good. It was business as usual for the Gokaigers, which was fine. The only character portrayal that bothered me was Luka. She does have a playful side, but it shaded off as immature in the movie. I don’t dislike Alata - in fact, it was nice to see Alata with a little more grit to him than usual - but I could watch that scene with Marvelous flicking him in the nose all day. It was such a Marvelous thing to do.

The Goseigers being so antagonistic as to attack GokaiGalleon was a little hard to swallow, but at least we got to see the battle of the pirate mecha. I don’t remember Dagon being that stupid...but Camoumirage strikes again!

For the big battle: I would have loved to see how long it took the summoned sentai to go through all of their intros and poses after the Goseigers and Gokaigers finished up. Having Kuwaga Raiger with the Black/Green warriors but Kabuto Raiger with the Reds didn’t make sense, and it was conspicuous. However, it was a very nice choice of having GoRanger and the four sentai preceding Goseiger as the final teams to turn back into Keys.

Logo Power!

This movie teaches a very important lesson - take care of your toys. Toy Story may have taught us that toys can talk and think, but Super Sentai teaches us that our toys can save the world. Just don’t rely on them to appreciate in monetary value. Seriously, when the GoRanger theme music kicked in, that was so much more than "something good" happening.

Ending theme was cool. Poor Ahim was the odd man out in the poses twice. And that final shot - there are so many people, it reminds me of a page out of Where’s Waldo.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I pretty much like iit and the Goseigers were actually pretty good in it. I sorta of felt odd about the scene with Ryou, Umeko, and Oume being in there but I'm okay with it. I like having scenes of the Great Legend War in there since they show how the guys like Signalman, Zuuban, and others like them became keys as well. I like some of the nods like GoseiBlack's axe being extremely heavy for one. The one thing that got me was the Zangyack not really had a part in the movie itself. But I guess it's a recurring problem with the Sentai movies that they don't involve the main villain group very much.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage

ImageImageImageImage
Image Image
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies

Post by zeta_gundam »

199 heroes eh...

We have 187 from the ending scenes of the weeklies. Also, this screenshot:

And then we have the ten extra heroes that appeared, making it 197... So who else did we miss out? Do GokaiSilver at the end and AkaRed at the beginning count? If they count, we get 199...
KickHopper
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: KR W & Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Keitei Sousakan 7
Dreamy: Why yes I am
Favorite Actor?: Watanabe Hiroyuki
Favorite Band: Royksopp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Film Noir
Quote: "Walking the path of Hell, the man who serves no one."

Post by KickHopper »

takenoko wrote:And Lio and Mele were great too, even though they didn't speak... and should be dead. Speaking of which, I guess the Great Legend War can't even keep the dead away since we see all sorts of dead heroes fighting in it. Given that almost everything else in Gokaiger seems to imply that all the Sentai are in the same continuity, this part just bugs me a little bit. I guess it's one of those things where it wouldn't look right without these guys.
The Jetman episode proved that dead heroes can come back if they feel needed, and I guess if God lets them, the nice lady that she is. Or maybe Gai Yuki is just such a sweet talker he got God to let them all go back and fight.

Honestly one of the major things that bugs me is how quickly the summoned heroes were able to be dispatched. Even with the addition of the Goseigers, it was just so easy. Especially with how hard of a time the Gokaigers always had with Basco's summons.

This movie honestly only made me dislike the Goseigers more. With all these other older, more experienced Sentai heroes who have acknowledged that the Gokaigers are worthy of being the newest Sentai and protectors of the planet, they have the nerve to be so disrespectful and uncouth as to steal back the powers from the Gokaigers, who rightfully found them after the Goseigers CHOSE to give them up to stave off the Zangyack fleet for a while. And then on top of that, Alata did not have to take the entire chest off the Galleon, there was no reason for that. He could have just grabbed the key and got out. I know all of this is relevant for telling the story, but as I said, all these story telling elements did was make me dislike these characters even more for bungling so much up. The only good thing that came out of it was getting Goranger's power. Oh and it proved to me once again that Gosei Knight is the only truly competent member of Goseigers. He's cool in my book.
ImageImage
edriel13
Adventure
Favorite series: Boukenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Ayumi Kinoshita
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Favorite Band: Spongecola
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: "YOU influence the WORLD, never let the WORLD influence YOU"

Post by edriel13 »

JUST A BIG THANK YOU FOR ALL THOSE WHO CONTRIBUTED FOR THE FINISHING OF THIS MOVIE (Producers and TV Nihon of course)!!!!! :mrgreen:
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

I honestly didn't have a problem with this movie. I knew two things going into this.

1) This was Gokaiger vs Goseigers, a majority of the movie will be the two teams splitting up with their counter parts fighting monsters tuned to their tactics. This has been going on for a long time now and wasn't going to stop.

2) This is the anniversary movie so there was bound to be extra stars.

What I was actually expecting from this movie.

A super awesome rolecall with the Goseigers and Gokaigers. With the sentai they showed out of uniform showing up to fight too. BoukenRed, GenjiBlue, Go-On Yellow, etc. Sort of like how the Bouken Special did.

I really didn't like the whole fighting past team members, that whole fight scene after awhile bored me to death. Plus Stock Footage in HD Bleck.

The all the mecha's in one place bored me to death as well. Summoning a bunch of Buredorans in the forms of past sentai villains. Then two minutes of stock footage and acting like the actually still have the mecha suits running around them.

In all I enjoyed it. Just... needed to be trimmed a bit.
m4rc0
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Quote: Hit the beat, keep your beat
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by m4rc0 »

So, the extra heroes stayed behind. But Rio and Mele shouldn't be there because of Geki's ending.

I know the Goseigers are veterans, but the Gokaigers are normally stronger than that... Well, it wouldn't be much of a conflict otherwise.

Very convenient of you, personification of hatred to appear in Gil's ship.

So even in SS world they make toys of the mechas...

Umeko didn't age very well...

LOL @ the gokaigers complaining about pirate GoseiGreat.

LOL @ Yogoei company haeuehaueah

I guess making Luka and Moune work together was nice. It's kinda funny how the same bratty tomboy type can generate two very different characters. I guess the devil is in the details.

Nice plan, Doc.

LOL @ Mabe and Alata's moment in Buredoran's space

Using original footage for the bazooka attacks was nice.

Part 2? Momo1s influence got to the sentai. Why was KuwagaRaiger against Gosei Black and Kabuto against the Reds? Kuwaga should be against the blues.

Kids and collectors, take care of your toys. They might turn into real mecha... But well, it was kinda nice how they used that.

It was nice to have a grown man, kids and teenager as surrogates for the fans. I guess that's all a movie like that is about. I thought the older sentai members would have a bigger role, specially the ones that were actually in the movie.

The fights were ok, but not awesome as Gokaiger can be. I guess they were focusing more on the fan service and the message of not giving up on your dreams and stuff.

edit: I wonder why AbarePink and ShinkenBrown didn't show up in the movie...
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

I could watch the scene where Marvelous hits Alata in the face forever....

Why do images of the Goseigers getting beat up not fill me with worry for them but manaical glee? Usually I don't root for any team when different sentai fight, but I sooooo was rooting for the Gokaigers to kick Alata's ass.

Umeko seems to have added some weight, but it could also be the makeup they used. I guess they were going for a more mature look, but too much blush just made her look odd.

Oh poor Nozomu, his voice is changing XD Squeak!

Could they really not reshoot the final attack scenes? It wasn't bad for some of the more recent series like Magi and Bouken but anything not within these past ten years just looked grainy and blurry in HD with their SD footage. I mean, at least run it through a filter. It's really obvious when you've got a black background and you haven't bothered to normalize the colors.

Overall I really enjoyed this. The sentai fights were pretty awesome and even the Goseigers seemed to benefit from a bit of actual plot in their dialogue. I wish more emphasis had been put on the 199 heroes and a little less on this being Gokaiger vs Goseiger, but there was so much stuffed in this movie I'm not too bent up over it.

Return to “Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger”