Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Gokai 43 released

Post by takenoko »

Kind of a predictable episode. I guess my problem with Damarasu is a summary of my problem with Zangyack. Instead of showing you that these guys are really strong, they tell you. I mean really, was that the kind of battle that you'd expect against the strongest man in the universe? Basco is obviously a lot stronger than this guy, but he loses in the last episode. It's just these little inconsistencies that kind of take me out of it.

At least we got to see all the collected Grand Powers work together. (Still, Gatling gun arms don't a strongest man make!)

Kind of hate to see them being saved by Basco. You want to see Marvelous get revenge against the guy, so him saving the Gokaigers makes that difficult.

Glad to see more of Don's origin story. So now we've got pink and green charge. We're moving up in the world!

I wonder when they'll do another guest episode.

Preview
Spoiler
What the? W?!
the_imposter
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Zyuranger
Favorite Band: Casting Crowns
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Maths
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Re: Gokai 43 released

Post by the_imposter »

I agree the episode was quite predictable, and the Basco thing was very inconsistent, it's really unclear how powerful he actually is, especially during the OhRanger tribute you got the feeling he could have been beaten if taken by surprise and perhaps it's the same in this episode. The mecha fight was really good and it was great to see a selection of the grand powers gained throughout the series, though I worry now that perhaps the tribute episodes might have finished, if Basco now has four grand powers and there are only a few more to go, he might collect the rest off screen and then they'll just be one big battle for them near the end of the series perhaps?

Overall it was a good episode, if predictable, definitely enjoyable though

Next week
Spoiler
Ah the inevitable Christmas episode....
Insert Witty Quote Here
ZGMF-X20A STRIKE FREEDOM
Faiz
Favorite series: Garo/Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Kabuto/Blade
Dreamy: Takanashi Rin
Favorite Band: Too many to list
My boom: Gundam
Quote: We're not tools of the government or anyone elses. Fighting was the only thing i was good at, but at least i fought for what i believed in.-Gray Fox

Post by ZGMF-X20A STRIKE FREEDOM »

Hey All Green! Not bad choices too, especially for the girls.

And Marvelous is a boss! First time we see him use double swords instead of using a more balanced fighting style with the sword and gun combo he normally uses.
We Begin The Armed Intervention with Gundam
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Don faking the story. I believe someone called that last week.

It's a shame that Damarasu did go out like a chump. Also, I wonder if Basco will be the final villain or if he will have a change of heart. It could probably go either way at this point.
triple_lei
Adventure
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Goseiger
Dreamy: BoukenPink
My boom: Persona series

Post by triple_lei »

So Damarasu sends back a six-ranger Final Wave no problem, but a (admittedly cool-looking) two ranger Final Wave gives him fits? :?

Still, I did like the episode, but now I don't know what's going on with Basco.
Therm_Kitty
Gabu
Dreamy: Shotaro!
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Therm_Kitty »

It was quite cool, but I wish it had been even crazier. Strongest in the Universe (Mr. Universe?) is a really big title. He's even greater than the Emperor. It should have taken more to beat him. At least the non-toy Grand Powers could have been used as energy blasts. Then again, I guess the Gokaiger are supposed to be the most powerful Sentai ever if the Go-Onger tribute and the supplemental material is all true.

Spoiler
I don't think Toei's gotten over Double yet. I swear, next we'll be getting a Kikaider remake with a green-and-black cyborg cameo.
DereklBarona
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Faiz/W
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: When in doubt, Rider Kick.

Post by DereklBarona »

Let's not forget though, Damarasu had a conveient-for-the-plot backstab injury during this fight, which automatically removes any sort of invincibility you might've otherwise had as a commander, and he did still take quite a bit of punishment before going down. My only real complaint would be that they waited until the giant robot fight to reveal the gatling arms, then suddenly busted them within thirty seconds. Totally wasted potential.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

Thoughts about the episode:

Spoiler
- Let's get that Damaras defeated.
- So Marvelous is taken right back to Akudos Gil, and not only is he kicked around, Akudos Gil orders him to be publicly executed, making his death as dramatic as possible in revenge for Walz Gilz's life.
- Tbh, I find this more realistic than Akudos Gil simply not caring for Walz Gilz loss in the same style most sentai villains do not care for other villains.
- So Don lied about the star sign and the hero story in general. He must be feeling terrible that he lied now that everyone is gone.
- More Don backstory and what better than Marvelous handing him his Mobirates and Ranger Key! Nice touch, writers.
- Marvelous is about to be executed, in similar style to stuff we got in very early sentai series.
- So Basco finally reveals he has the Fiveman and Sun Vulcan Grand Powers. That leaves the Battle Fever and Kakuranger ones for the Gokaiger to get.
- More backstory, with Don's first pirate fight. Even when he appeared to be weak and different to the others, all it took was for Luka and the others to cheer him up and tell him he can do it. I've been saying this every episode, and I will just keep saying it, the bonds the Gokaiger have between them are second to none.
- Don gets the motivation he needs from the good memories he has with the others. Now he is ready to be badass, similar to Joe, Luka, Ahim, Gai and Marvelous in other episodes before him.
- Marvelous closed his eyes, either because he truly believed it was his end or because he knew Don would somehow create a miracle.
- And now Don makes his appearence, telling Damaras not to underestimate him!
- Loved that hero Don Dogoier superimpose!
- Unhenshined Don fight! Epic.
- Giiiiiiingaman! Nice to see GingaGreen again.
- And Magiranger! Gii Magika! Haha, only Don would use vines to immobilise the Goumin.
- Navi is trying to free Marvelous. And there is success! Basco didn't even try to stop Marvelous being freed.
- So Sally saved the others as I predicted. Their entry was marvelous!
- And Basco betrays Damaras, just to make sure he doesn't interfering when he goes after the world's greatest treasure.
- And he even throws the Mobirates and ranger key to Marvelous.
- Awesome roll call with explosions! An extra treat!
- All green gokai change!!!!! Nice pairing of attacks too, with DaiRinKen/MidoMerang, DenjiPunch and PrismKaiser and lastly Shurikenger and ShinkenGreen finishing it with their swords.
- Marvelous and Don working together was amazing. Nice to see a Final Wave work for once, even if it's just to push Damaras back.
- Green Rising Strike! Oh yeah, that's how pirates do it.
- And now the mecha fight. It feels a bit weird watching Damaras fight as a giant.
- Wow, GoZyuJin got pushed back so easily.
- BUT! Don encourages everyone to finish this.
- MagiDragon! Gokai Magi Bind!
- PatStriker!
- GaoLion! It's been a while!
- Fuuraimaru! Nin nin nin nin!
- And Machalcon for the end! Bari bari!
- So nice to see all the gokai machines (i.e. the 5 Grand Powers) appear in the same episode. But of course we need Kanzen GokaiOh to make things even more showy.
- OMG it wasn't a plain Gokai Kanzen Burst, but a Gokai Super Kanzen Burst, with everyone contributing to the final strike that took out Damaras! A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Loved how everyone, including Magidragon etc, are celebrating in the end!
- And no fight would have a good conclusion without a good meal!
- I loved this episode. Simply perfect. We got more than I could have ever asked for.

Next week's episode:
Spoiler
- Next week: Christmas episode and Battle Fever tribute episode, with Shirou/Battle Kenya appearing and Gai turning into a doll. Gai turns into GokaiRedGreen. Oh and more Kakuranger. Also more Luka focus. Can't wait!
Behold the Emperor!
TBustah!
Mega
Favorite series: Zyu to Kaku
2nd Favorite Series: Bouken to Kaizoku
Favorite Actor?: Toku? Hiroki Suzuki
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Slot cars
Quote: "The future.... is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!"
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by TBustah! »

Definitely not the ending I would have picked for Damarasu. I don't want to say he deserved better (he was one of the bad guys, after all), I just hate to see loyalty go unappreciated.

Ideally, I would have liked to see him go down in a blaze of glory, protecting the emperor's life (with Marvelous on board their ship, the writers could have made it work somehow), vindicating himself in his superior's eyes.

Don's explanation felt pretty weak. The way he was behaving, he was definitely hiding something, but this just seemed to come out of left field. Not in a good "twist" way either, more like it was tacked on at the last minute.

And of course, now we're back to square one with him as far as back story goes. Maybe that's not necessarily a bad thing, I just feel like this whole arc was kind of a waste of time. I mean literally, it was a waste of time: we don't have that many episodes left, and they could have dedicated that time to a tribute or two. Instead, we get a personal growth ep for Doc (which he already had plenty of)/wild goose chase.

I guess it was worth seeing a couple of new "gender-bender" suits, one from my favorite show to boot: I kind of imagine Daigo to be the type that wouldn't be too thrilled seeing his old threads treated this way. :lol: Seriously, that guy yelled at everything, it was kind of his thing.

Regarding the other one, did anyone notice that they actually made it look like the female Flashman style? What I mean to say is, they didn't staple a skirt onto it or just leave it alone, they actually remodeled the legs to resemble those of Pink and Yellow Flash (the guys' legs were their color, the girls' were silver). A nice little extra. That may have been why they chose Flashman for this, maybe they wanted to do something different for one of the girls.

Spoiler
Darn, I was hoping for the Kakuranger ep... but this looks interesting. Namely, (what can only be presumed to be) Gai's.... "Christmas Ranger". I had the red and green MMPR Auto Morphin' figures as a kid, and used to take them apart and put them back together in a similar fashion. I even called them "Christmas Rangers". :lol: Considering all the toys were held together with your standard crosshead screws back then, I can't imagine that I was the only person who ever did this...
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I don't think the lie that Doc mention was about the legendary hero thing at all. I think he was referring to how he got Ahim, Luka, and Gai to take him out for food. At least Damarasu look cool as he fought off various finishing moves which require multiple finishing moves to finally finish him off.
Flare Phoenix
7X

Post by Flare Phoenix »

Phoenix512 wrote:I don't think the lie that Doc mention was about the legendary hero thing at all. I think he was referring to how he got Ahim, Luka, and Gai to take him out for food. At least Damarasu look cool as he fought off various finishing moves which require multiple finishing moves to finally finish him off.
Didn't he specifically mention he made the whole thing up, and showed that the birthmark that "proved" he was the legendary hero was simply drawn on with marker or paint?
TBustah! wrote: And of course, now we're back to square one with him as far as back story goes. Maybe that's not necessarily a bad thing, I just feel like this whole arc was kind of a waste of time. I mean literally, it was a waste of time: we don't have that many episodes left, and they could have dedicated that time to a tribute or two. Instead, we get a personal growth ep for Doc (which he already had plenty of)/wild goose chase.

Do you think there is any more to Don's backstory? He was approached by the Gokaigers to fix their ship, and was kind of forced to join after they realized how useful he was. I think this episode kind of proved there isn't any special mystery to Don, and the whole "Legendary Hero" subplot was just a way to troll the fans.
jolly_old_saint
Faiz
Favorite series: Gumby
2nd Favorite Series: Dengekibikifaizenger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by jolly_old_saint »

The king of heroes enters! Ga-ga-ga, ga-ga-ga Green Guy gar...

...Sorry.

...For knowing what gar is.

So all it takes to get a free meal is publishing a fake magazine with an article featuring yourself in an expensive cosplay outfit, convincing your closest friends you've had amnesia for as long as you've known them, and slapping on a watermark tattoo? Damn, its almost too simple!
DREWdesu
7X

Post by DREWdesu »

Like all the others this was great, I guess the Damaras's "Strongest in the Universe" was either a figure of speech or that no one actually knows that some other being succeeded him.
Don's first fight was inspirational and that quote from Marvelous "Don't do the things you can't, do the things you can"
Loved the fights, the Green Gokai Change, Green Charge but seriosuly that Green Gokai Change really messed up my pairings with Luka... I don't know who to pair Luka with anymore ROFL.
The last segment was great as well... "If you consider me a hero then at least treat me like one!"

preview
Spoiler
Yay Xmas Episode!! Can't wait
TBustah!
Mega
Favorite series: Zyu to Kaku
2nd Favorite Series: Bouken to Kaizoku
Favorite Actor?: Toku? Hiroki Suzuki
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: Slot cars
Quote: "The future.... is in the past! Onwards, Aoshima!"
Type: ISFP Composer

Post by TBustah! »

Flare Phoenix wrote:Do you think there is any more to Don's backstory? He was approached by the Gokaigers to fix their ship, and was kind of forced to join after they realized how useful he was. I think this episode kind of proved there isn't any special mystery to Don, and the whole "Legendary Hero" subplot was just a way to troll the fans.
Honestly, I really don't care.

You said it yourself, it was just to troll the fans. Like I said before: a waste of time.

Tell us who he is, or don't, we've got more important things to worry about.
DREWdesu
7X

Post by DREWdesu »

TBustah! wrote:
Flare Phoenix wrote:Do you think there is any more to Don's backstory? He was approached by the Gokaigers to fix their ship, and was kind of forced to join after they realized how useful he was. I think this episode kind of proved there isn't any special mystery to Don, and the whole "Legendary Hero" subplot was just a way to troll the fans.
Honestly, I really don't care.

You said it yourself, it was just to troll the fans. Like I said before: a waste of time.

Tell us who he is, or don't, we've got more important things to worry about.
Personally I found that its great that they wrapped up all character backstories as fast as they can (although I do wish Ahim's was much earlier and Joe was somewhere in the final arc or something)
Now we need to go into a new arc where we find out what the treasure really is, how can the Zangyack be defeated once and for all, and Basco's true allegiance.

Return to “Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger”