Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Fourze 17 released

Post by takenoko »

Huh, we already know Meteor's backstory. I mean, we get the general gist of it, even if we're not sure what he plans to do with Aries when he finds him.

Tachibana? Huh, okay. I assume that he wears a mask because he's Utahoshi's dad. I'm never wrong when I make guesses like this.

A few "Psst, Gentarou. That angry smart guy is probably the Zodiarts. You should get him while he's not transformed." and "Psst, Gentarou, the guy named Ryuusei is probably Meteor." At least he figures out the first one on his own.

Trivia.
Kind of a lot of good trivia this time. First, Ryuusei means "meteor, falling star" obviously.

To go along with the Chinese theme of his character (the Bruce Lee whoops and shouts, Chinese looking uniforms) his school is named Subaruboshi High School. I hope you've seen Fushigi Yuugi, because that would make this explanation a lot easier.

In China, the sky is divided into 4 parts (North, South, East, West) and within that, it's divided again into 7 parts. So 28 parts total.
Subaruboshi is one of those 28 sections, specifically the fourth one in the Western Byakko section. Of course, Subaru's are named after these stars as well.

By the way, Amanogawa literally means "River of heaven". Reading the Japanese wiki about it, apparently the Greeks looked up and saw milk, so Milky Way in the west. Asian people looked up and saw a river, so it's a river in the east.

And the Saku in Sakuta Ryuusei's name means:
1: new moon;
2: first day of the lunar month;
3: (in ancient China) next year's calendar and decrees (distributed by the Emperor at year's end)

By the way, did you know that in Japan, Gentarou's hairstyle is called a "regent"? It's pretty much a pompadour, but hey, Japanese culture, am I right?
http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/regent-hairstyle
http://www.theotaku.com/cards/view/116467/regent_style
The hairstyle is frequently associated with banchou (a gang leader) and youth delinquency. That's why a lot of people judge Gentarou so harshly because his image (the hair and his clothes) are evocative of these stereotypes.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Re: KR Fourze 17 released

Post by Lunagel »

Silly takenoko, Fushigi Yugi is for girls! (Also it's been about 5 years since I've actually seen anyone who knows what that series is, more's the pity)

Interesting character development here. Usually with the 2nd rider we end up getting all the interactions with the main rider by following said main rider, I think this is an interesting first where we actually follow the secondary rider. Looks like we're getting the same "make character an unlikeable bastard first episode but then totally rectify everything second episode" they used for the rest of the gang, but those episodes turned out really well and ended up fleshing out characters a lot, so I'm looking forward to Meteor's next week.

The "cat trick" Fourze used against Lynx literally means "to trick a cat". Now, there's a sumo move called the same thing, though I don't think they were referencing that. In sumo, it means to clap your hands in front of your opponent's face in hopes that they'll blink and give you an opening. Kind of similar to what Fourze did but more likely it was referencing Lynx being a cat, therefore, cat trick.
ScatterBrain
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen rider Den O
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen rider Faiz
Dreamy: Yuuto
Favorite Actor?: Yuichi Nakamura
Favorite Band: AAA
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Everything Japanese!
Quote: "Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, and ideas are bulletproof."

Post by ScatterBrain »

Okay, i looked up Aries on wiki and found some information regarding its mytholgy, but im gona put it in spoilers incase anyone wants to wait for the reveal. That is of course if my hunch is correct.
Spoiler
Aries was the golden flying ram that was sent to rescue Phrixos and his sister Helle from being sacrificed to Zues on the Alter (i think it was Zues himself who sent it so maybe Aries will have lightning capabilities?). Although the sister fell off and died Phrixos landed safely and sacrificed the ram to zues, its Golden Fleece then hung on a sacred tree to be gaurded by a dragon. It was evenutally captuared by Jason and the argonuats. Im guessing the fleece has the ability to heal, as it was used as such in the video game Jason and the Argonauts to bring his dead wife back to life. Also the fact that Jupiter and Saturn were the roman names for the greek god Zues and Cronos and also the switches on his gauntlet thing, its all very interesting.

Good episode, we get a large chunk of the second riders backstory in one episode rather than teased for at least three. My only complaint is his finisher's; the kick was cool, the punching could have used better effects but was still decent, but whilst saturn's rings as a projectile is a good idea the special effects they used were terrible. Jupitor isn't too bad though.
Beneath this mask there is more than flesh, there is an idea and ideas are bulletproof!
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

Wait, Saturn is the Roman equivalent of Cronos? The Titan?
jolly_old_saint
Faiz
Favorite series: Gumby
2nd Favorite Series: Dengekibikifaizenger
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by jolly_old_saint »

There's a starfish waiting in the sky, he'd like to come and meet us but he thinks he'd blow our minds!

...I've seen Fushigi Yugi, but then I've seen everything.

I'm blown away by the choreography with Donna Troy. Finally, a rider who sells himself as a martial arts expert. His first move against that monster was the best flying punch since 300. And the way he landed in a different cut to hide the wires after doing that kick at the start? That takes skills. And the way he grew tiny planets on his hand? That was....something.

Silly fjorzengaard. Only a fish has the power to beat a cat! Or Akane, maybe.

No, no, its not foreshadowing to have Donna Troy change via disco ball when you ALREADY reveal that he's working for Daft Punk!

Remember this week's lesson, real men watch Fruits Basket and Kodocha. Also, its cheaper to animate spinning plates than teach someone how to balance for a stupid gag.
SiegeDragomon
Honey System
Favorite series: Stargate Atlantis
Dreamy: Azrael
Favorite Actor?: Yes I like Cheese
Favorite Band: HarkleFarkle
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by SiegeDragomon »

Both those links were mainstream stuff.

BUT ASDFGHJ

Friggin maze, im in super nostalgia mode now.
Sometimes it's best to just go along with it and avoid the explosions, other times it's fun to be the one with the detonator and an evil laugh.
AstonWave007
Adventure

Post by AstonWave007 »

...I now want a figuart of Meteor.
jolly_old_saint
Faiz
Favorite series: Gumby
2nd Favorite Series: Dengekibikifaizenger

Post by jolly_old_saint »

SiegeDragomon wrote:Both those links were mainstream stuff.
(both? If you mean the fuuma thing, that's just part of my space schtick I've been doing every week. Thought it was episode appropriate)
I'll grant surprisingly popular, but can you really call maze mainstream? And I went with that less for obscurity and more for it making me feel like I've seen everything. To that end, I guess el hazard would've done it too...or is that more popular? Damned kids with your internet, you can watch all the crap I've seen on tape...now I'm racking my brain for old things that weren't mainstream....damnit, all that's coming to mind are old go nagai ovas...and other quasi-popular ovas, all with "ninja" or "project" in the title...screw it, will this do?
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

I'm calling it Kamen Rider Meteor is going to be friends with the KRC after some time in the series. :\
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Just like every other secondary rider in recent history
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

Take I don't think Tachibana is going to be related to any of the characters in Fourze. My prediction is that...
Spoiler
Tachibana is really http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobei_Tachibana Pretty much if you were a Showa Kamen Rider you'd had him on your speed dial. Reason why he is in the mask is because the original actor died of lung cancer.

As for the episode, very neat I want to know why he wants to go against a Horoscopes that hasn't been created yet. My thinking is that he has some sort of limit to him. Either later on in the series M-Bus is going to be attacked by a Horoscopes that went Supernova or the Meteor Switch has a Last One of it's own.

That stage gets used in a lot of Kamen Riders... It needs some Monster Repellant.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Post by FangTrigger »

ScatterBrain wrote:Okay, i looked up Aries on wiki and found some information regarding its mytholgy, but im gona put it in spoilers incase anyone wants to wait for the reveal. That is of course if my hunch is correct.
Spoiler
Aries was the golden flying ram that was sent to rescue Phrixos and his sister Helle from being sacrificed to Zues on the Alter (i think it was Zues himself who sent it so maybe Aries will have lightning capabilities?). Although the sister fell off and died Phrixos landed safely and sacrificed the ram to zues, its Golden Fleece then hung on a sacred tree to be gaurded by a dragon. It was evenutally captuared by Jason and the argonuats. Im guessing the fleece has the ability to heal, as it was used as such in the video game Jason and the Argonauts to bring his dead wife back to life. Also the fact that Jupiter and Saturn were the roman names for the greek god Zues and Cronos and also the switches on his gauntlet thing, its all very interesting.
In response to what you said about Aries and meteor's background, couldn't he just
Spoiler
ask Gentarou to use Medic to heal his friend? His condition is Cosmic Energy related, and Medic deals with illnesses caused by Cosmic Energy, so it's possible that he doesn't need Aries.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

FangTrigger wrote:
Spoiler
ask Gentarou to use Medic to heal his friend? His condition is Cosmic Energy related, and Medic deals with illnesses caused by Cosmic Energy, so it's possible that he doesn't need Aries.
Spoiler
He doesn't know about medical.. yet. Also he hasn't told Gentarou about his friend/brother/lover. I'm sure once Gentarou finds out he will go there by himself to cure with medical.
JTanzer
Adventure
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Post by JTanzer »

I'm totally sold on Meteor now. I really liked seeing the main cast and the show through his eyes. It was a fun, self-aware examination of the silly tone that managed to both be self effacing and supporting; you get the (accurate) sense that everybody in this school is pretty much ridiculous, but that they also have fun.

• Lol at kicking the extra out of her seat.
• Looks like Gen has been busy making other friends. I liked that; it gave a sense of a world outside of the episodes; a glimpse at our hero's life outside of the show. Gen's mission to make friends with everyone is not only on track, but we won't have to see him individually befriend every individual person in the school.
• I thought the KRC was well-handled in this episode. They didn't have a big role (this was Meteor's story) but each of them had a tiny moment to demonstrate their character and the general structure did a solid job of showing how their role has fallen into a stable pattern.
• Meteor's henshin and fighting was pretty sweet. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it and of the limits of his abilities. (I couldn't tell what the switch on his arm unit that he didn't use was. We've got a heavy punch, a ranged attack, so possibly some sort of special effect? When I first saw the design, I wasn't sure he and Fourze would look right on screen together, but I think they did just fine.

• Not a very interesting switcher, but it wasn't really shooting for that in this episode. I still wished the series tried a little harder with it's MOTW sometimes, but when you've only got 22 minutes, there's only so much you can do.

All told, solid introduction on a new character done quickly while simultaneously giving us a new perspective on the series. Obviously, Meteor will ultimately become friends with the group and become a champion of justice blah blah, but I'm looking forward to following that journey.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

takenoko wrote: By the way, Amanogawa literally means "River of heaven". Reading the Japanese wiki about it, apparently the Greeks looked up and saw milk, so Milky Way in the west. Asian people looked up and saw a river, so it's a river in the east.
Well that does make the game series 'Star Ocean' make a lot more sense.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT

Return to “Kamen Rider Fourze”