Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Garo Makai Senki 17 released

Post by takenoko »

Yay it's Rekka. She still can't act, but at least her character wasn't annoying in this episode. I actually liked the interaction between her and Kaoru. (Sounds like someone is mad that she got left out of Red Requiem)

Oh Kouga, did you learn nothing from the first series? You've got to stop keeping secrets from Kaoru. Hmmm... Hey!

Episode 17 of the first series was when Kaoru found out that she had the seal of destruction blood of the Horror on her.
http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/garo/episodes.html

I know I've said it before, but one criticism I have for Makai Senki is that it sort of follows the first series to a fault. The slow pacing at the beginning. The overall plot that drops hints of what's going to happen in some episodes, while not appearing at all in others. Kouga has a childhood episode in 12 of the first one, 15 in this one. Kaoru's left boob gets grabbed. Kouga's keeping secrets from Kaoru. There's some fallout for it in episode 17. Etc.

I guess the formula works. It's not like Lucas who just borrows things that worked from the first series without understanding why they work. But at the same time, I don't feel like some of the stuff they borrow totally fit (the totally self-contained episodes as it fits in the main plot). And some of the stuff they do change is kind of worse (Rei and other side characters having episodes with the barest of interactions with Kouga).

Anyway, rant over. Another thing I thought was funny was how conservatively Kaoru dressed. Normally she's the one who's showing some skin, but I guess they wanted to contrast her to Rekka. Heh, Rekka really is the female version of Kouga sometimes.

Something I don't get is the way Rekka appears in this episode. It seems like it'd make more sense for Kouga to call her and ask her (or Jabi) to be his partner Makai Priest now that Leo is gone.

I'm glad that Rekka remade the goldfish, but why didn't they talk about it at all? Kouga: "Oh btw Rekka, sorry, but the guy who gave me this tattoo squished your spirit fish." Just one line to acknowledge it was all that was needed. Heh, "Hey there little fishy, I've got a place in my coat for you."

Looks like the shit hits the fan in the next episode. Things are heating up!

Edit: I forgot to mention that I liked the display of Kaoru and Kouga's relationship. Again, we see that these two have both matured and learned to deal with each other. Even though Kouga made a mistake by keeping a secret, she forgave him because she knew where he was coming from. She understands that the stuff Kouga does is important. It's a relationship about understanding. They really do show what portray Kaoru as the sacrificial heroine who gives up happiness for the hero.
SacredCultivator
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Dreamy: Ichimichi Mao
My boom: Fansubbing

Re: Garo Makai Senki 17 released

Post by SacredCultivator »

I liked this episode although still a bit arge about when they throw in those nude scenes. And that left boob grab caught me off guard.

One thing I'll note about Kaoru, that scene on the bridge where she cries, reminded me of the Spider-Man 3 scene where Peter P. is crying... yeah it was bad.

Goldfish scene, agree with you.. I mean I know they keep this dark/ keep quiet persona, but some sort of acknowledgement of the first one dying would have been great rather than, "Oh, fish, *opens coat* get in"

Looking forward to the next episode though.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Dammit Rekka can you not say anything without that horrible monotone? Just cause you're supposed to be strong and independent doesn't mean you can't inflect.

I really really want Kaoru and Kouga to actually get together and not have all this romantic tension around them. HAVE LITTLE MAKAI BEBIES ALREADY DAMMIT.
shadowneko003
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Abaranger
Favorite Band: Cascada
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Her boyfriend's a pilot

Post by shadowneko003 »

I like that Gonzo decided to stay out of the way when Rekka and Kaoru met.

Could have done without the nude scene.

I wanna buy that picture book!
LJ Blogger
Do not PM me about DDL links. Please report them here in the correct forum

YES, we know our DDL links are dead! READ THIS.
Biogirl
Go Go!
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider...Kabuto
Favorite Actor?: Yamamoto Yusuke
Favorite Band: Funky Monkey Babys
Alignment: Lawful Good
Quote: Otoko nara darekano tameni tsuyoku nare. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6h5OlXS8IzI

Post by Biogirl »

Wait...is that horror...Ghostwriter? Noooo!!! My childhood!!!! (probably no one knows what I'm talking about).

Oh, Rekka, you're back. I didn't miss you. I think Rekka's fighting did get better though. But her deadpan acting is still hard to watch. I kept hoping Rei would show up and start teasing Rekka. That would be amusing to me.

I think that this is the episode that I yelled at the screen the most. Starting with Rekka interrupting Kouga when he's trying to introduce Kaoru. I wanted to hear him say what she is to him. The rest of the time was yelling at Kouga to hug Kaoru, or hold her hand, or initiate some sort of comforting physical contact. Can I get a head pat? Something? Anything? I think I'm going to go re-watch the hand-holding scene in episode 1... Kouga is so hopeless when it comes to relationships where he can't bond through fighting.

So I'm guessing Red Mask released Sedin Bale so he could learn how to put the seal of destruction on the knights. But if that's true, it means he's been free for a while and Rekka is only just now catching up to him? I guess that's plausible, but seems like at some point she would have got some help...

Oh and the nudity was really pointless. Just in case we forgot we were watching an 'adult' tokusatsu, here's a naked woman and an almost rape scene. Now back to your regularly scheduled emotionally stunted hero.
Tokusatsu kotatsu party!
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Was anyone else bother about how pale Rekka was because I was. If I recall in the episode, Kouga didn't call Rekka but she was already there. He wasn't going to refuse her help especially she knows the enemy better than he did.

The current ED song is really about Kaoru's feelings toward Kouga. It fit very well with the sequence in this episode. Poor Kaoru. I don't know what really more sad: going to die and unable to do anything or the person you love the most is going to die and still unable to do anything. The real kicker is that she got to experience one and about to go through with the other.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Rekka looked pretty healthy to me. I was kind of amazed by how thick her stature is compared to Kaoru's.

The nudity didn't bother me, but I do agree it was rather pointless. The way it was done in this episode was more "Oh I just finished showering or something, no big deal."

For some reason I thought that Kouga and Kaoru have already been intimate. I mean, it has been years by this point. It kind of seems like they just skipped past that stage and now they're like an elderly couple that are just used to each other's mannerisms. It's kind of funny how the nudity is contrasted with the almost saccharine sweet innocence of their romantic relationship.
Tuss4
Train man
Favorite series: Faiz
Dreamy: Ayame Misaki
Favorite Actor?: Myself

Post by Tuss4 »

that crying was awful.

m4rc0
Quote: Hit the beat, keep your beat
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by m4rc0 »

Did you see the poster for the play in that previous ep in the girls room?

I think I never saw Kaoru acting like that. She really didn't like Rekka. And Rekka is as harsh as always. LOL @ Gonza's and Zaruba's reactions to the scene.

Now, I'm the 1st one to complain how childish and lame the main pair's romance is and I was already bothered by Kaoru acting like an 11 year old girl saying to Gonza that she didn't know if she should ask Kouga out...

But in the end, this ep showed a deeper side of their relationship. And the way they used Rekka was pretty good. They used her to make their feelings known to the viewer even if they don't say it out loud.

What really bothers me though is how passive Kouga and the other knights are about the whole seal thing. I mean, they should be after the Red Mask non stop. Just like Date in OOO, they should try to stay alive to help more people.

So, Red Mask freed the Horror so he could translate the characters needed to ressurrect the big bad Horror of the season. I realy like how they've been throwing pieces of the main plot around. They really gained not having to introduce the main characters, so they could show the main plot since the 1st ep.
Tuss4
Train man
Favorite series: Faiz
Dreamy: Ayame Misaki
Favorite Actor?: Myself

Post by Tuss4 »

I don't know if showing pieces of the main plot is really working out for them though. To be honest the pace at which this series has been moving has been frighteningly slow.

Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

Phoenix512 wrote:Was anyone else bother about how pale Rekka was because I was.
It was very distracting. I thought she got into the possessed-zombie body makeup for a bit there. I mean, I'm pale but she was milky.

Actually I thought her acting was a good 10-15% better though it might just be the material. I like how when he asked her where the knight hunting with her was she paused and admitted he was dead. I was kind of expecting her to go on a "I'm as good as a makai knight!" rant but the character has somewhat matured and I think the actress got that moment right.

Some of the cheapness in this episode was really bad though. Kaoru and Gonza had a chat outside the house in front of a VERY OBVIOUS greenscreen.
Kurow
Mega
Favorite series: Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Kabuto
Dreamy: Rina Akiyama (Agito)
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Favorite Band: Jam Project
My boom: girls
Quote: Ore Sanjou!
Type: ENFP Champion

Post by Kurow »

Oh Rekka! so sexy! simple episode and another wasted episode for the sake of a guest character but anyway it was decent.

I would like to see some kind of "Gaiden" episodes for the end of the series with all the characters fighting together but I know that is not going to happen. At least we get more "Jirou" the next episode :).
Final Vent!
DrowningFishy
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

Over all I found this episode very sweet for some odd reason. However, is it me or do horrors (and everyone else for that matter) seem to recognize Kaoru and Kouga's relationship more then they do?

I have to agree with Tuss4, as sweet as an ep. this was, the pace of this series is moving frightenly slow. It's also getting a little redundant. We get already he (and Rei) are cursed and going to die soon via the seal of distruction. Move along or magically get a hint at a cure.

lastly, AWWW the gold fish is back. Kouga better not kill it this time it's not like they're the cheap ones you can find at the pet store.
chronoxiong
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Shinkenger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Dreamy: Keiko Kitagawa
Favorite Band: One Ok Rock
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: "Walking the path of Heaven, the man who will rule over everything." -Tendou Souji

Post by chronoxiong »

I find Rekka and her legs to be very attractive. She's a flexible woman which probably explains for her outfit. Her acting still needs work as it does seem kinda forced. Like she's trying to act cool and badass but her acting doesn't make it believable. I liked the animosity she had with Kaoru in the beginning though. I wonder how Kaoru feels about her boss now that he has touched her boob (even though he was manipulated by a Horror). Poor guy.
DrowningFishy
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

chronoxiong wrote: I liked the animosity she had with Kaoru in the beginning though. I wonder how Kaoru feels about her boss now that he has touched her boob (even though he was manipulated by a Horror). Poor guy.
Is it a bad thing to say I am disapointed I didn't get to see any hair pulling? But being a woman that seemed very true stand off between two woman who are in compitition... he was so right to try to stop Kouga from going in the room things could have turned on him.

Wonder how she feels because he touched her boob, or wondering if what he said under the influance of the Horror was his true feelings? Nothing is more cruel then what a human hides deep in their thoughts. Hm kinda explains why he gave her a secluded desk... ...

Return to “Makai Senki”