Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

OOO Wonderful Movie released

Post by takenoko »

Pretty good movie overall. The only thing I really hated was Gara's stilt legs. That was just silly and distracting.

Overall, I felt like it did a good job sucking me in, despite my fears that it'd be a dumb time travel thing or a repeat of the Nobunaga thing. It helped that the villagers being like "WTF are you doing here? You guys are clearly monsters" made a lot of sense in this context.

And Gara's flipping Medal sandglass convoluted crap was stupid, but not so much that it interfered with my ability to enjoy it. I'm glad to see Bell's part explained in the movie.

That has got to be one of the best ending credits that I've seen for a movie in a long, long time. Just simply, well done. We need more stuff like that.

And of course, thank you to all the sponsors for donating for the purchase of this movie. That makes a big difference.

Wakaba Shun 若葉駿 Wakaba means "young leaf". And Shun means "fast, fast horse" and is a homonym for "spring"

Wakaba Satsuki 若葉 五月 Satsuki (Shun's mom) means "May"

Spring theme, eh?

The shogun was Tokugawa Yoshimune 徳川 吉宗. There was a period play about him called Abarenbo Shogun and that actor is the same one who plays the one in OOO Wonderful. I guess he was a pretty highly regarded shogun. Anyway, OOO and its Japanese history lessons. What up with that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokugawa_Yoshimune
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abarenb%C5%8D_Sh%C5%8Dgun
The 2nd wiki article explains it, apparently Tokuda Shinnosuke is the alias he went by to travel incognito among the peasants

I don't know what Gara means or refers to other than the fact that there was a villainess from DaiRanger named that.

Bell has a bell, she's pretty self-explanatory. It might be worth noting that Ogino Karin 荻野 可鈴 who plays Bell has the kanji for "rin/bell" in her name.

Japan and its obsession with Germany and alchemy. By the way, I'm reading Fullmetal Alchemist right now, and it really sucks because someone vandalized this series by ripping out pages and marking out dialogue with marker. So senseless. But not as senseless as German experimentation on humans! I guess not all Europeon representations are as nice and clean as in Miyazaki's movies, eh, Japan?!

Oh god, that's Kaidou (Karahashi Mitsuru 唐橋充), isn't it? Someone really needs to look up all his appearances and make a collage of all his looks throughout the years. What a wild dude.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Re: OOO Wonderful Movie released

Post by Phoenix512 »

While I was working on this movie, I said to take that I couldn't believe they already did something so ridiculous so early in the movie like exchanging a small part of Germany with a part of Japan. And yet that part still continue on through the movie but besides that, the rest was good. There were some funny moments like Satonka saying that they won't be on time to return to Japan even though she didn't know that they already return to Japan. Date imagining how he would look like with a top-knot haircut while henshining into Birth. Speaking of Birth, somehow Eiji was able to use Birth pretty well even though he didn't read the manual.

When Tokuda Shinnosuke was fighting Gara's knights, did it seem that it was like a samurai movie? Also I notice Eiji was using one of the swords from the Knights but later on, he uses the usual sword. I didn't get why that happen which this goes under random changes back to Tatoba for no reason and how Eiji and Date arrive so quickly at Gara's tower at the beginning of the movie.

Kougami is a sneaky bastard with conning Gara into using Eiji to stop his plans to end the world. Eiji was very clever with using manipulating the word family by thinking everyone is family. I guess family is what you make of it. At the end of the movie made me think of the final episode of OOO since it's Eiji and Ankh that holds Hina's hands while in the final episode, it's Hina who holds both their hands.

But back to Kougami for a second, he will end the world one day and no one will call him out on it.

There was one other thing I was disappointed was Fourze's appearance in the movie. He didn't really had any energy into but I think his hair dictates his energy level. So the hair style must have been an alternation after the movie was shot.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

This movie did a great job of staying true to the spirit of the characters and distilling them into movie-sized packages. Eiji found himself reaching out his hand, one person at a time - sometimes to just hold someone's hand, and other times to (literally) pull them to safety. We didn't get the flashback of the crying girl that was repeated so often in the series, but you didn't need to see it (again) to know that his pulling the mom out of Gara was meant to parallel with his past. Ankh was his perpetual moody self, but still willing to risk his own existence if it meant helping OOO against a greater threat. Hina...well, she was there. We never did get an explanation about why she's so freakishly strong.

Supporting cast was good too. I swear Gotou is the best thing about OOO. I love how he grounds Date, but Date manages to push them both to achieve new heights. Satonaka didn’t have much to do, but her few scenes were either funny or impressive. I can't say I always like Kougami's character, but his part in defeating Gara was impressively clever.

And the new Rider cameo is slowly expanding. W was only in-suit in Decade, OOO got to appear out of suit, then henshin into his armor, and now we get Fourze appearing out of suit, then reverting back to civilian form after talking to another Fourze cast member. Even Hayabusa got a reference! His line was pretty interesting. I think there were rumors about it, but it looks like befriending Riders (instead of just everyone in the school) was supposed to be Fourze’s gimmick after all.

One scene that I thought had perfect timing was Gara taking the purple medals. Fourze’s entrance (and exit) distracted me so that I had forgotten that Gara needed to take them from Eiji still.

The ending fight was okay. Nothing terribly original, but good enough. Only one thing bugged me - why did Uva give up three medals when OOO was already using one of his? You'd think the Greeed would want to hold onto as many of their Cores as possible.

That movie song is catchy. The puppet play-esque background was pretty original for Rider movie credits too. And if you're too lazy to watch the movie, it's a nice summary of what happens.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

Overall, pretty awesome movie. Flowed well, had a pretty interesting premise, and the villain was relatively believable in context of the Greeed. Am I the only one who saw the knights and had to stop themselves from making a Monty Python joke?

Gara on stilts was...interesting. Maybe they don't have a lot of stiltwalkers in Japan? If you've ever seen one, they've got a pretty distinct gait, which kinda took away from the whole intimidation of the scene. I'm glad they only used the stilts for a little while.

Writer error at about ten minutes in with the reporter on tv - Grosserlach isn't in Thruringen, it's actually in Baden-Württemberg, which is something I was able to easily wiki in about 10 seconds. I can only assume they picked a random German town out of a hat and figured "Eh, no one will notice."

Random Kamen Rider Girls cameo is random. Was there really any point to that except maybe marketing? If you can't find a proper reason for them to be in there, you probably shouldn't have them.

Satonaka's utter indifference to Gara and everything around her was pretty amusing, especially her annoyance at having to work overtime. Cake Boss was as delightful as always, really hamming it up with the topknot (but no cake).

Kinda feel like Gotou and Date got the shaft in this movie, they didn't really get to do much and Eiji kinda stole the scene. Guess this makes the Birth belt a slut belt.

Fourze's appearance was a little odd. I guess they hadn't fully fleshed out the character yet? Obviously the hair style wasn't quite decided yet either, though Yuki was there. Still, I've seen weirder reasons for Rider crossovers.

When transported back into the feudal era, don't bother freaking out or asking questions! Sell your futuristic ice cream to them! (Hey, is this how dippin' dots originated?)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

>Am I the only one who saw the knights and had to stop themselves from making a Monty Python joke?

Probably since I was just going "WTF? Seriously?"

>Writer error at about ten minutes in with the reporter on tv - Grosserlach isn't in Thruringen, it's actually in Baden-Württemberg

Neeeeeeerd

>Guess this makes the Birth belt a slut belt.

Faaaaaaaaaaaiz
Takumi05
Imouto Rider Club
Imouto Rider Club

Post by Takumi05 »

Magenta
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Boukenger
Dreamy: Nozama
Favorite Actor?: Takehito Koyasu
Favorite Band: 765 Productions
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Robots. Always.

Post by Magenta »

I was under the impression the German place was meant to be Großbreitenbach precisely to avoid the geography issue of it having to be in Thüringen.

It seems more likely to me they hideously mispronounced than picked a random location and then randomly eschewed it's relative geography.
ima sugu shutsudoukable
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I think you're giving them too much credit. The subtitles say グローセルラッハ Gu-ro-se-ru-rah-ha which is a pretty good stretch for Großbreitenbach

Besides, it's got a one-to-one match with Grosserlach:

http://ja.db-city.com/%E3%83%89%E3%82%A ... 3%E3%83%8F

I'm guessing that your city is the one they were going for, but they looked up Grosserlach and went "close enough"
Magenta
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Fourze
2nd Favorite Series: Boukenger
Dreamy: Nozama
Favorite Actor?: Takehito Koyasu
Favorite Band: 765 Productions
My boom: Robots. Always.

Post by Magenta »

Yeah, hence 'meant to be'. Everything about the German in this movie really strikes me as "Hey, Toshiyuki, go look up Germany for 5 minutes on Wikipedia. And when you're done, put that dialogue through google translate."

I seem to recall a lady actually being credited with assisting with the German in the credits - Barbara someone. We can either assume gross incompetence or Toei just blatantly ignoring any decent advice she'd have to make, and I'm probably going to bet on the latter.
ima sugu shutsudoukable
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

I've been waiting months to post this:

Downloading the movie now. looking forward to it.
CeronosLive
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider OOO
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by CeronosLive »

And just when I thought today would take a turn for the worst, you guys brighten my day up with this release. Thank you for being awesome.
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

I have no idea why Gara has to walk on stilts there's no point to that point. The movie was awesome it was better than the Movie Wars Core where OOOs part made no sense at all.
m4rc0
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Quote: Hit the beat, keep your beat
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by m4rc0 »

They didn't dig enough to be able to reach Japan from Germany...

Eiji has gloves when he gets the medals, but they disappear when he puts them on the belt. Medieval foot soldiers look nice.

creepy villain is creepy. Random kid is random.

Harley Quinn rip-offs and Rider girls cameo. Juuzo as a rocker with a top knot.

I don't know, Eiji looked more like a pedo than a father...

Nice nitoryu, OOO. Why use the back of the blade against kaijin, SHogun? Hina has super strengh, but her attacks can't do a thing against monsters? pff. A flute to use cobra? lame.

Eiji and his big desires... But a medal in the shoe?

Satonaka rules. Again, why couldn't she be the heroine?

LOL @ I'm not Hayabusa. 4z's part was random, but funny.

Nice solution to have all forms together. It was something Eiji could've used in the main series. But he never had combo sickness in the movie. Eiji using birth was a nice fanservice.

In the end, this movie was a nice surprise. I was expecting something as terrible as OOO's part in war core, but fortunately it wasn't the case. Meeting the shogun worked made sense and even the kid's plot was important to the overall story. There were some deux ex machinas, but there's no need to nitpick.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

At this point, they must have been like "Fuck it, lets not even bother trying to make OOO fit into any set of Canon, not even with itself". It was still pretty good, I like all the Combos at once, although having the Greeed gift the medals, eh.
Leonite Rider
Kamen Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Double
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Zero One
Favorite Actor?: Renn Kiriyama
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Leonite Rider »

Loved the movie... but now I only really have 2 excuses left not to get working on my "pulling everything into continuity" OOO fanfic.... well, ok, thats one of the big goals, but its not what the fic is planned to be about. (The fic essentially planned to be a want for a nail: Mezool survives being the Greed Monster in episode 16, then decides, as she has little choice left, to join Eiji's group.)

Also, when I say everything, I mean it. Movie Wars Core (taking place over the series, at least for the OOO part), Lets Go (yeah, not too hard), this which should be interesting at least, the upcoming Movie Wars... and possibly the Kamen Rider/Super Sentai crossover.

Of course, I could point out the plot holes of trying to fit this into ordinary canon... and I will!

Where the hell did the Reptile Medals go? This is only at the top because Eiji seems to forget he has them when he's fighting Gara! You think a combo would be useful against someone who is essentially a Greeed. For that matter, is Gara the Reptile Greeed, technicly? He has a reptillian battle form, can create Yummy (and Knight-Yummy), and the "Gara Medal" was mentioned, perhaps the medal that contains his conciousness?

When the hell does this take place? It literally doesn't fit anywhere in canon, The only times being when Uva revived Mezool and Gamel, and when Ankh revived Uva! The former has problems due to lacking Lefty!Ankh, and the latter has problems because Ankh is on OOO side, and Eiji doesn't have any signs of Greeedhood... and Gotou isn't Birth.

Why didn't the Greeed recognise Gara? you think they'd notice one of the Alchemists... or at least, you think ANKH, being the one who allied with the king, would remember.

How did Maki manage to get a medal out of himself to give to the Doll?

Isn't Gara missing three Reptile Medals in becoming the True OOO? Or for that matter, isn't he missing three BLACK medals? (Movie Wars Core's Anthropod medals)

Why do none of the Greeed comment in the slightest about the Reptile medals in the final battle?

ETC.

Also, lesson of the day: If you want Ankh to do anything, you can bribe him with Premium Ice Candy.
Avid fan of mixing Riders and Rangers into other things

Return to “Kamen Rider OOO”