Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Gokaiger 50 released

Post by takenoko »

So a pretty good second to last episode. Pretty epic robo battle. A lot of nice guest stars. Some nice dramatic speeches, and a pretty standard kill the mobs fight at the end.

So you spend the whole series looking for the Triforce, then you let Gai blow it up XD After Assassin's Creed last year, there must be a trope about finding a treasure only to give it up at the end. I kind of wonder if this isn't some sort of easy way out for the writers. You can't really ever let the hero get unlimited power or knowledge, so you make up a big cost or some excuse for the heroes to not get it.

But I'm just nitpicking. This episode was pretty great. I loved the things people said. It was kind of moving. And it just had so many wonderful references. I'm really sad that the series is ending.

I just noticed that Marvelous replaced his "This is what being a pirate is" to "This is what being Super Sentai is". Neat. I guess these character really had an arc.

Edit: About the last episode, Mag pointed this out, it's pretty infuriating
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torii
"Oi, Torii!" Marvelous wasn't calling Navi "tori/bird", he was calling him "torii/gate" the whole time!
What I think is funny is that torii literally means "bird's perch". Thanks for that trivia mag

So basically Navi changing into a gate is all a big pun. That's the only explanation for it.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Re: Gokaiger 50 released

Post by PHurricane »

I'm not sure you could ask for a better penultimate episode. Really fantastic.

How awesome is it that at this point in the series we’re still seeing the Grand Powers being used in new ways? And another shot at seeing some Grand Powers that had only been used once before.

Hey, it’s Goushi! Wow. Guess this means every series had someone show up, no matter how briefly. Fitting that one of the last cameos was of someone from Magiranger since Kai was the first. Yuka may carry around a plush of MagiRed, but it didn’t look like there was a wedding ring on her finger. Hmm.

I gasped when Gai shot the treasure. It’s one thing to decide not to use it, but destroying it seemed a bit much. Then again, if they didn’t destroy it, someone else could come along and make a wish, which would still wipe out the 34 Super Sentai Grand Powers. I guess destroying it was the only way to protect them.

The group speech on the Galleon was really beautiful. Not only from the perspective of how the characters have grown to care about the legacy of their sentai predecessors, but also from the other side of the fourth wall in terms of how much of a niche super sentai has carved for itself over the past 35 or so years in the hearts of its viewers.

Love that they repeated (for the most part) their original speeches from episode one. That has always been one of my favorite moments of the series. Repeating it says by implication that these guys have been heroes the entire time, but they (and particularly Marvelous, since he has the biggest dialogue change) are finally being honest about it. I know it made me want to to cheer for them.

Since they’re fully embracing being a super sentai team now, I wonder if the opening narration will switch to the 35 super sentai that protected people’s smiles or how the powers of the 34 super sentai were inherited/restored by the 35th super sentai (instead of just unbelievable rogues).

Looking forward to next week.
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

Epic robo battles, guest appearances, and pretty good (not overtly cheesy) dialogue. Man, this is a pretty awesome penultimate episode. To have guest appearances even near the end of the series is pretty neat. Some of the dialogue were pretty moving as well. It's also nice to see some powers revealed, like MegaRangers, Changeman etc.

Pretty sad that the Galleon got pretty badly beaten up. That probably means there won't be any robo fights next week.

I believe they would change the opening narration next week. It just seems fitting to do so.

Can't wait for next week. Preview:
Spoiler
More Gokai Change pairings? Sweet.
Flare Phoenix
7X

Post by Flare Phoenix »

So Shinkenger/Gokaiger spends nearly the whole series setting up the Sealing Character/Greatest Treasure in the Universe, which has the power to defeat Dokoku/the Zangyack. However, the Sealing Character/Greatest Treasure in the Universe does absolutely nothing so the Shinkengers/Gokaigers decide to defeat Dokoku/the Zangyack through pure force.

In all seriousness, it was a good episode. Still, I kind of wish they'd had an episode showing how strong Ackdos was before the final episode. Even though you never saw him fight much, you knew how strong Dokoku was when he tossed the Shinkengers around in episode 40. I kind of wish they'd done something similar here. Of course, the villains have been one of the major failings of the series in my opinion.
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

This was a good episode. The guests were great, just too short. This is why I never like ultimate power stuff. It never gets used. Even if the Gokaigers used their heads and traveled back in time, and changed history. Thus erasing the keys, but restoring them afterwords. It would be a lame ending. Writers really shouldn't use these stories. Speaking of Shinkenger. They could of still used that sealing power, at the end. Just use it when Dokoku was blowing up. Kind of like how they sealed Long in Geki. Goushi with fake Dino Buckler sucked though.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

listen, if you don't like power rangers, that's fine, but there are people who enjoy watching it and can feel insulted if you call it that.
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

Looks like I was right about the Greatest Treasure in the Universe erasing the people from existence, not just their powers.

I like that they managed to get four different civilian cameos and all, but I'm kinda bugged by the fact that the kid who stole the ShinkenRed key just ended up fighting Zangyack anyway. Wasn't the whole point of Marvelous letting him use the Key to try and fight to show him that not everyone can protect people by fighting?
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

I kind of expected Luka to say "Wait a minute Gai! That thing cost 34 Grand Power. Even if we are not using it, we can sell it for a grand prize!!!"

So, even until the penultimate episode, we still haven't got a full team line-up of this 1 particular Sentai......cheeky Toei.

@archer9234 please watch Shinkenger back, I remember the reason Doukoku is immune against the sealing character is because Dayuu merging her pre-human body with Doukoku, thus rendering the character useless since it only works against Ayakashi. That is 1 cunning plot.

Spoiler
Another mash-up Gokai Change? I saw Deka Master holding Vega Sword and Zubaan
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

Not nearly enough Goushi.

I see his acting hasn't improved in the intervening 20 years, either.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

Apparently when they gave his actor the call, he said something along the lines of "I've been waiting for this" and he still has his old Dino Buckler prop.

Gotta love it when the actors love the roles.
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

Except it isn't the old Dino Buckler prop. The prop was the toy. The one on his belt is a fake plate with a sticker.
locuas wrote:listen, if you don't like power rangers, that's fine, but there are people who enjoy watching it and can feel insulted if you call it that.
Yes. I was insulted. But I don't bother with replying. It just starts arguments.
gh0stwrit3r
Kamen Knight
My boom: Grounded

Post by gh0stwrit3r »

take wasn't insulting the PR franchise, he was making fun of SS itself. As most of the actual world automatically call it PR (sometimes they even call KR that) and never bother with the differences.

(I watched this ep without subs and I was moved, what more with the subs?) I'm going to miss Gokaiger.
m4rc0
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Quote: Hit the beat, keep your beat
Type: ENTP Inventor

Post by m4rc0 »

Prof. Amachi and Kai's girlfriend.

It was nice to see how they made this ep look like the 1st ep plus Gai, the Gokaigers becoming a real sentai and the Zyu references.

A very good episode. Unfortunately, Gokaiger is ending. It was a nice ride. At least we still have Gobus vs gokai, SH War, vs Gavan, ghost ship. I hope they make a V-Cinema special too.
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

@m4rco

I've heard about v-cinema for KR franchise, but does Sentai has one too?
Kalsembar
Gao
Favorite series: Dairanger
My boom: Sentai
Quote: "Let's Morphin'!"

Post by Kalsembar »

Great ep! I've watched bits and pieces of a lot of Sentai (and more Power Rangers, likely) but this will be the first one I've watched start to finish (assuming Dairanger doesn't get finished before next week).

As someone who watched Power Rangers in their formative years, seeing the Zyu references were neat, and I may be the only one but I exclaimed "Holy SH*T" out loud when Gai passed the Dragon Armor (is that what they call it in Zyu? I don't recall) to Marvelous. It was an awesome moment, but part of me feels like they made sure they gave the American version some footage they could use.

So next week they kick everyone's arse and everyone's happy? It's too bad they couldn't flesh out the Emperor more, beating him just feels like an aside now, a minor chore.

Return to “Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger”