Kamen Rider Wizard 01 released

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiizaaaaard
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Fourze | Wizard | Gaim >

So what's your initial impressions of Wizard?

It's great, I'm on board.
58%
It's good, but I'll need to see more to decide.
28%
It's just okay, but I'll keep watching before deciding
14%
Meh, not for me.
No votes

Total votes: 118
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Re: Kamen Rider Wizard 01 released

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

Litrid wrote:This series is gonna be Great I hope to see lots more of Land Style its soo epic :D
All the styles so far are pretty good, really. :3

oh, sorry to go off topic, but your sig is off. the belt isn't saying "tu" over and over again.
lonegamer7
Save the life
Favorite series: Transformers
2nd Favorite Series: Mythbusters

Post by lonegamer7 »

Actar wrote:
HyperDrake wrote:- Ghuls. This series' lackeys. I've heard about GhOuls before in horror or mystery stories before, but not Ghuls.
Yeah, I can't quite follow the logic either... The Undead from Blade weren't zombies or vampires, the Worms from Kabuto never looked like real worms and the Yummies from OOOs weren't delicious in any way.
It's "ghūl", with the mark over the "u", being the etymological root of "ghoul". And as posted on the front page, you have Ra's al Ghul from the Batman franchise for "demon's head", plus these Ghuls have horns.

I can't say in regards to the Undead or the Worms, but the Yummies pun off of "mummy" (all them bandages!) and them "feeding" the host's desire (like the Gamecock Yummy with the controlling wife and her security cams)/"feeding" off of the host's desire (both Cat Yummies in the early episodes).

But enough nitpicking! XB

I do like how Haruto does a head-tilt "Heh, heh" after using the wall to block the Minotauros' charge in Land Form.
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Luka Milffy
Favorite Actor?: Hidenori Tokuyama
Favorite Band: Psychic Lover
My boom: Ogino Karin
Quote: "Time travel isn't confusing, it's Toei that makes it confusing" - me

Post by toni2212 »

well, it's you guys choice of words for the subs, so i have no complain here. and from what i've seen from other fansub, you guys aren't much different.

Spoiler
Anyone want to make a bet on which character will die at the end of the series? I already hoped for that green shirt boy.
lonegamer7
Save the life
Favorite series: Transformers
2nd Favorite Series: Mythbusters

Post by lonegamer7 »

toni2212 wrote:
Spoiler
Anyone want to make a bet on which character will die at the end of the series? I already hoped for that green shirt boy.
Spoiler
He feels like a much more enthusiastic Gai, at first glance. Although with Gai, at least he has Sentai knowledge to back him up.
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim

Post by toni2212 »

lonegamer7 wrote:
Spoiler
He feels like a much more enthusiastic Gai, at first glance. Although with Gai, at least he has Sentai knowledge to back him up.
Spoiler
Then I have some hope, since Gai was originally written to die at the end of the series
Kairiki
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Dreamy: Ankh
Favorite Actor?: Miura Ryosuke
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Kairiki »

I'm really loving Wizard so far. I hope my best friend will as well; this is the first time she's seen adverts for a Rider series before it's released and then asked me to watch it with her (because I am That Toku Fan among my friends IRL), so I'll be watching it with her tomorrow.
TheZen
Adventure
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: Decade
Dreamy: Natsumi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
My boom: DragonRanger

Post by TheZen »

I think this series has the potential to be stronger than Fourze or even OOO. I say this because the story has a lot of mysteries to it that are not being forced on us. It's giving us minuscule portions of information so that we start to wonder, "what was that? Does that mean he's...?"

I like that. Fourze's setting was so weird that the story details really didn't matter, and it wasn't strong enough to command the attention of the audience. This one pulls us in on basic curiosity alone; we don't have to pick at every scene. This has the potential to be a great story if they don't give away all of the background story elements in the first few episodes. Because the only thing that was a mystery was Kengo's dad's death, and even then I was just watching because it was fun and had action (akin to Transformers 2).

The only thing I didn't like about this episode was the transformation sequence. I think it's almost as drawn out as Fourze's (which has to have the record for longest transformation sequence in tokusatsu history) but in a bad way. Fourze's countdown highlighted the important elements of the story (most of the time). This one just has musical chanting that sounds horrible. I feel it's Fourze's and Meteor's put together. Weird musical effects that ruin the background music and long winded.

I noticed that the "henshin song" the belt has only sang once even though Wizard changed styles 3 times. They could end up cutting that out after a few episodes, if they wean us off of it kinda like the Sentai role call; after the first 3 or 4 episodes it disappears until it's a power-up or story episode. It's wishful thinking, I know, but it's possible. I think if the song effects were toned down and just used a more Decade-style belt, it would be great with or without BGM, and still a fun toy (I just ordered my Decade DX belt; Little Tokyo has all the cards!).

Also, I like the more serious tone to the series. Even though the Rider is a bit goofy, he's not like Gentarou; he doesn't create awkward or comic moments on his own. Really like this series. Makes up for Go-Busters and Fourze (I didn't hate Fourze, but it was not super enjoyable).

Also, I think one thing people are forgetting about the Rinko thing is that she arrests him and then questions him. Officers can hold people for suspicious behavior and question them. Of course, they exaggerated it to him being in a prison cell but I believe what she did was warranted. He seemed to know way too much and basically said he was a magical being. Either way, you don't want someone like that walking around willy-nilly.
No nuts, no donuts.
Guardian07
Mega
Favorite series: Agito,W,Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Hibiki,Garo,Blade
Dreamy: Shihoko Hirata
Favorite Actor?: Seiji Takaiwa!!
Favorite Band: Shoji Meguro
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: MegaTen games
Quote: We’re no longer children any more but, we’ll never fully become adults.
We can live on in that odd little transition.

Post by Guardian07 »

First off, thanks for the release.

I really like how you guys translate "mahou-tsukai" as "mage". I feel that "mage" is the most appropriate term to use in the context, compared to words like "sorcerer", "wizard", or even "magician".

Props to Seiji Takaiwa for giving a lot of flair and elegance to Wizard. I really enjoy watching the fight scenes. I just loved how he basically was able to switch gears completely after playing Fourze in the last year.

I do love this year's theme; the occult!...well, as occult as a superhero show for children can be. The protagonist is a mage, the main female lead is a fortune-teller/psychic, and the monsters are demons, magical creatures and mythical creatures. Also, familiars. And dragons, and dragon-riding. And not to forget; dark, evil rituals. I also loved its themes of hope and despair, and "hoped" that the themes are explored and used well.

I just love seeing Wizard in action. He moves with the confidence, elegance and flair of a performing magician, but his suits gives a more demonic feel and had a certain ruggedness to it. Plus, on a closer look, you can see how ornate and detailed the suit is. I initially didn't like the sword gun but the way he wields it, how it looked like a bulky thing he swings around sold me on it.

I'm also really liking Souma so far. On the surface he seems confident, playful and mild-mannered, but I really feel(and also according to the scans :lol: ) that he conceals his true self behind this facade of a playful and confident guy with cool magic. Only occasionally do we see his true self, like when he said "I didn't give in to despair because of magic" and later "I won't let that happen ever again!" and "Dragon! Obey me!". Those moments stood out for me because he seemed very serious.

Ah, belt voices XD

Belt: Lepatch Magic Touch Go, Lepatch Magic Touch Go, Lepatch Magic Touch Go,
Me: (O_o)

Belt: KRAKEEEENN! Please
Me: :lol:

Belt: Sha Ba Do Be Touch Henshin! Sha Ba Do Be Touch Henshin! Sha Ba Do Be Touch Henshin!
Belt: HIII! HII! HI HI HIII!
Me: ROTFLMAO :lol: :lol: :lol: !! And all tension and danger have been successfully squashed.

Belt: Very Nice! Kick Strike!
Me: *raises eyebrows*okaaayy...
Belt: THE BEESSST!!
Me: WTF :lol:
qedins wrote:Lepatch magic touch go
Sha ba do be touch henshin

What does it mean!? Is that magic-theme words?
Seriously, it's sound so random and weird and out of place
I hate it already
Japan and their broken English :lol: .
Lepatch magic touch go - touch to go
Sha ba do be touch henshin - touch to henshin

Does that help?
Ginga o Tsuranuku Densetsu no Yaiba!!!

Seijuu Sentai Gingaman!!!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>I really like how you guys translate "mahou-tsukai" as "mage". I feel that "mage" is the most appropriate term to use in the context, compared to words like "sorcerer", "wizard", or even "magician".

Yeah, if I may peel away the hood to reveal how the thought process went, we actually had a whole discussion about that. I think in the promos we translated it as "wizard". But then we stepped back and thought, "Why would he use mahoutsukai and wizard?" Wizard as a title only appears to apply to this one individual and there might be other mahoutsukai, so that didn't work.

In the initial QC process we had it as "magic user", the literal translation for "mahou tsukai". I think we could have gotten away with this, but it felt clunky to me. Which is why we went with mage. If we were translating MagiRanger now, I think we probably have used mage instead of magician, actually.

>Props to Seiji Takaiwa for giving a lot of flair and elegance to Wizard. I really enjoy watching the fight scenes. I just loved how he basically was able to switch gears completely after playing Fourze in the last year.

He should have had practice doing it, he was MagiRed, after all!

Lepatch magic touch go - touch to go

We're still not 100% on le patch. Apparently it's french for "patches" or "pieces". In a Japanese shampoo or whatever called le patch, they say it means "the parts that become the whole" sorta like gestalt theory. I dunno, sounds like it'd be more suited for alchemy than magic. If you guys figure something else out, do let us know.

>Sha ba do be touch henshin - touch to henshin

Isn't that just notes for a song? Like the 60s. sha be do be woo woo woo.
RetroJaro
Why are we all 15?
Why are we all 15?
Favorite series: Super Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider

Post by RetroJaro »

I really enjoyed episode 1, probably because I'm a big Elder Scrolls/fantasy fan in general, and this is a pretty cool variation to the whole mage thing. He's not just some guy in a robe throwing spells all over the place, he has actual armor and a gun and sword. :lol:

All joking aside, I can't wait to see what's going to happen in the series, and I wonder how they will do the secondary rider in this series. :?
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito

Post by Dengar »

TaelonZ wrote:
Dengar wrote:Tendou isn't a main character though. :lol:
Umm. . . ya he was. He was Kabuto. Though a character that I point out that might also break the mold was Otoya. He was the main character of the 1986 Arc of Kiva and did in fact get a lady. So did his son, but his lady died early.
Zelda is the main character of The Legend of Zelda?

Aaanyways, the rest of the episode is pretty good. Very action-y. Very introduction-y. Reminds me of stories like W or Kiva, where the rider already had all of his powers and knew how they worked.

But like I said, I hope the henshin jingles will grow on me. Because right now I -really- don't like them. Especailly the PUREEZU! every. single. time.
toni2212
Team Gaim
Team Gaim

Post by toni2212 »

Dengar wrote: But like I said, I hope the henshin jingles will grow on me. Because right now I -really- don't like them. Especailly the PUREEZU! every. single. time.
Well, seeing as those sound appear in every magic ring he uses, you're gonna have a hard time pretending not to miss it.
Guardian07
Mega
Favorite series: Agito,W,Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: Hibiki,Garo,Blade
Dreamy: Shihoko Hirata
Favorite Actor?: Seiji Takaiwa!!
Favorite Band: Shoji Meguro
My boom: MegaTen games
Quote: We’re no longer children any more but, we’ll never fully become adults.
We can live on in that odd little transition.

Post by Guardian07 »

takenoko wrote:Isn't that just notes for a song? Like the 60s. sha be do be woo woo woo.
Yes, I think that's what they were going for with that part.*blames Meteor's disco jingle*

I was referring to the "Touch Henshin" part. I think they might have been going for "Touch to Henshin".

This is maybe just me, but I got used to the "Puriiizu" after about the third time. I guessed "Gaccha/Gotcha" sort of helped "trained" me to screen them out of my head. Can't do that with "Sha be da be Touch Henshin" part yet, though (>_<) .
Ginga o Tsuranuku Densetsu no Yaiba!!!

Seijuu Sentai Gingaman!!!
Netto no Zen-Aki
Gabu
Favorite series: Sentai
2nd Favorite Series: Rider
Quote: "We cannot change the past, for it is written in stone. So we look to the future, for it has yet to be written."

Completed:
KR- Ryuki, Kabuto, Kiva, Den-O, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze, Wizard, Gaim, Drive
Sentai- Deka, Magi, Bouken, Geki, Go-On, Shinken, Gosei, Gokai, Go-Bust, Kyouryu, ToQger
ETC- Ryukendo, Rescue Force, Rescue Fire, Garo, Garo: Makai Senki, Garo: Yami

Current:
Shuriken Sentai Ninninger
Kamen Rider Ghost

Post by Netto no Zen-Aki »

I have to say, that this series is starting out to be good. I mean, they used the fighting sequence for the first opening. I like that. First time I saw that was with Shinkenger. and from what I heard, Abaranger did the same thing, not sure, never saw Abare, I started with Deka.

Back to the Rider side: I will say that I am liking Haruto. The cockiness that is usually used with the 2nd Riders is his territory. Making me wonder what the 2nd Rider for this series is going to be:
Spoiler
a newbie that messes up quite often or a gifted genius that butt heads with Haruto.

It looks like this is going to be fun to watch especially with the familiars. And Dragon not listening? Meh, dragons are proud creatures no matter which story you tell, so I half expected something like this and when I saw the sparks on Wizard, I thought, this is going to be entertaining for a while.

Speaking of entertaining, the spit-take the old man did when Koyomi told him that Haruto was arrested was funny.

I can't wait to see where this series goes with the magic aspect.

And I agree, that if they break away from the 2-EP arcs, it will be refreshing. Maybe a 1-Ep here, a 3-Ep arc there, throw in a 2-Ep arc for seasoning, you have a nice variety and shows that there are different levels of ease for our new Rider.
Actar
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kamen Rider 555
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider W
Dreamy: Hanasaki Tsubomi
My boom: Stuff
Quote: Love what do do, do what you love.

Post by Actar »

takenoko wrote:>I really like how you guys translate "mahou-tsukai" as "mage". I feel that "mage" is the most appropriate term to use in the context, compared to words like "sorcerer", "wizard", or even "magician".

Yeah, if I may peel away the hood to reveal how the thought process went, we actually had a whole discussion about that. I think in the promos we translated it as "wizard". But then we stepped back and thought, "Why would he use mahoutsukai and wizard?" Wizard as a title only appears to apply to this one individual and there might be other mahoutsukai, so that didn't work.

In the initial QC process we had it as "magic user", the literal translation for "mahou tsukai". I think we could have gotten away with this, but it felt clunky to me. Which is why we went with mage. If we were translating MagiRanger now, I think we probably have used mage instead of magician, actually.
Actually, what is the difference between Wizard, Mage, Magician, Magic-User, Warlock, Sorcerer, Magi, etc...? I suppose each of them have a certain special connotation?
Video Reviewer of Anime Figures, Mecha and Merchandise. ( ̄‿‿ ̄)
- Channel - Blog

Return to “Kamen Rider Wizard”