Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

KR Wizard 03 released

Post by takenoko »

I'm surprised that Kizaki wasn't Hellhound.

I mean, there's no way to know since his character wasn't introduced till this episode. But the writer did cleverly include a tell. Both Hellhound and Tajima used the term Kyoushuku 恐縮 which means "pardon, very kind of you" which appears twice in this episode and once in the previous one. (When Tajima appears and both times Hellhound addresses Phoenix and Medusa). It was pretty hard to include the hint, so I hope it worked out.

By the way, Tajima's actor is Shibata from Keitai Deka if you watch that series.

I still don't think anything of Shunpei. Typical sidekick.

The action is really good this week. Got to love Wizard's flashy style. It very much suits him. I'm also liking Haruto's character more. He's very slick.

Long spit take is pretty good.

So it's an okay episode for me. They're still introducing characters and background story. Whatever. Hopefully next week's will be better.

Preview
Spoiler
Introducing a black guy as Cait Sith? So... how do you guys feel about Cat Sidhe since it looks closer to the actually pronunciation Ketto Shii ケット・シー (plus people won't associate it with that damn FF7 Character even though they're based on the same name) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_S%C3%ACth
Kairiki
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Dreamy: Ankh
Favorite Actor?: Miura Ryosuke
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Re: KR Wizard 03 released

Post by Kairiki »

I didn't watch the previews because a) KeyholeTV is too jumpy for me to watch more than I have to and b) I've been out all day and haven't seen the raws, but uwaaaah, I'm excited for episode 4 even more now!

Also, it was fairly obvious, but I called the director dude as evil five seconds after he showed up.

I'm quite liking Wizard so far, and it's getting my friend (who has never watched toku before) excited, so I hope it continues to be awesome!
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Post by ReversedSentai »

I'm loving this series so far. Tons of cool characters. I was a bit surprised when I found out that it wasn't actually Shunpei shooting the flames from his finger, but then again, there only needs to be one mage, according to Haruto anyway.

Yah, water form debut!

I'm liking the character interactions between the main cast (Koyomi, Shunpei, and Daimon).

So... that engage rings just sticks on your finger forever? I hope they explain that soon. Anyway, I'm really enjoying this so far.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Favorite series: Magi/Geki/Gokai/Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Gosei/W
Quote: Henshin!

Post by Slowking »

takenoko wrote:I'm surprised that Kizaki wasn't Hellhound.
It wasn't really that obvious that it was him last time, so I thought he had to be Hellhound. But then I got suspicious, thinking that it's what the writers want people to assume.

Maybe he's sticking around I suppose. Will be interesting to see him interacting with Rinko, as well as helping to highlight the role of the police (which doesn't seem to follow Rinko's ideas).

Nice, Water Styles! I love the liquid form the magical circle takes during the henshin; it gives life to the circle, making it look fluid, and is a nice effect overall.

I really like Shunpei. Maybe I don't find his type of character to be perfect, but when he was in despair, I almost felt sorry for him. It might have been the actor who portrayed Shunpei being in despair, or maybe just the contrast of having an innocent but energetic Shunpei being betrayed and handed in to despair the moment afterwards.

No donut for you Haruto!

Nice to see more about Haruto and Majima. I wouldn't have really liked if they spent another 2 episodes introducing this character. He really doesn't appear to be as important as someone such as Shunpei or Koyomi for example. I definitely enjoyed the use of the new Wizard Rings by Haruto.

Haruto is beginning to show very slight emotion. This is mainly when he tries to save the victims of the Phantoms. Not only is he determined to save them, you can tell he takes it to the next level, as if it is a personal and emotional issue.

Overall, I'm very pleased with how Wizard's progressing. It might feel a bit slow at a few points due to main characters still being assembled, but I'm not expecting any more to be added soon.

Next time:

Spoiler
More about Koyomi and finally, Medusa (and not the impatient Phoenix), appears to take things into her hands!
Behold the Emperor!
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

You know, I saw that there was a battle song in this episode, but I didn't really hear it. Was it just really short or really faint in the background or something?

I just realized... this is probably the thinking that went into Haruto being into doughnuts. "So the theme is rings this years. What kind of food should be the Rider food venue of the year? Spaghetti-o's? No, to messy. Cheerios? No, the whole O's thing is too OOO. How about a doughnut? It's like a giant ring. Perfect!"
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Slowking »

I think the song (instrumental) you are referring to is Mystic Liquid by Kamen Rider Girls.
Behold the Emperor!
Kairiki
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Dreamy: Ankh
Favorite Actor?: Miura Ryosuke
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Kairiki »

Slowking wrote:I think the song (instrumental) you are referring to is Mystic Liquid by Kamen Rider Girls.
That's what my Tumblr dash was saying. I didn't quite hear it, but then, KeyholeTV.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

It's an instrumental? Do they credit instrumentals in the opening? Are you sure about that?
zeta_gundam
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
My boom: Drawing
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by zeta_gundam »

Kizaki not being the Phantom was pretty surprising. Judging from this episode, I guess Kizaki's character is a semi-regular character? And poor Haruto not having donuts.

For some reason, I'm liking Wajima a lot. Also, if Wajima created the rings in the first place, how did the White Wizard get his hands on them?

So the "SLEEP" ring has some use too. But... why didn't he grab it back from the guard?! Poor Wajima has to make a new one from scratch now... Also, I guess ring creation makes it easy for the writers to come up with new abilities for Wizard. =/

Cool, so the "DEFEND" ring can be used outside Land Form; it's like what someone said earlier about how the wall changes with the elements. I presume all the other rings have different effects with different forms as well.

And I dunno, Shunpei's getting on my nerves a little. He's like some spoilt brat.
Slowking
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Slowking »

takenoko wrote:It's an instrumental? Do they credit instrumentals in the opening? Are you sure about that?
Well there will be a proper song out at some point, but in toku series usually the instrumental of a song can also be part of the OST. So I guess at some point we could be expecting to hear the proper song, but for now it's just the instrumental/OST one.
Behold the Emperor!
lonegamer7
Save the life
Favorite series: Transformers
2nd Favorite Series: Mythbusters

Post by lonegamer7 »

Now that's yanking the rug on Shunpei being actually toyed with. :) One thing I often hear in regards to magicians - stage or street - is that misdirection is a key factor.

The spit take seems like it's going to be a running gag...
Last edited by lonegamer7 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Humiliated on national television and being forced to watch as the symbol of his dream (and childhood) was burned to a crisp by his own hand while he had no control over his body. That level of shame and powerlessness certainly qualified as driving someone to the brink of despair. And compared to just stomping on a locket, it was fairly brutal as well.

Rinko is both awesome and hilarious. I’m pretty fond of Haruto and Shunpei, but Rinko is doing a great job of straddling the line between hero and comedic relief.

Next week is going to be make or break it time for me for Koyomi. She’s coming across rather low-energy and melancholy - like Eeyore but without the charm.

Based on the way Rinko’s investigation was squashed in the first episode, I suspected that a high-ranking Phantom or even Wiseman himself was high up in the police department. I still think that has a good likelihood of being true with the introduction of Kizaki and the special division he's part of, especially given that he’s played by a veteran toku actor (who amazingly looks nothing like his previous roles), but I could also see them setting him up to be the spiritual successor of Houjou from Agito. I think my first instinct has a better shot of being true, but we’ll see.

And about Mystic Liquid - I don’t think they used an instrumental version of the song - they tend to distinguish that in the credits. It sounded like it was just a very short snippet (20-30 seconds) that either didn’t feature any vocals or the vocals got drowned out by all the other noise of the scene.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

I just realized that it seems like Haruto is getting cock-blocked from having doughnuts.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Yeah, I've been noticing that too. I mean, his donut break has been interrupted since the very start of the series. Have we seen him even eat one yet?
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

He did have a bite of one in the first episode but other than that, nothing at all.

Return to “Kamen Rider Wizard”