How do you feel about Power Rangers?

Forum for any member who isn't in the NoPowerRangers group. Talk about Americanized shows like Power Rangers and Dragon Knight here.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Re: How do you feel about Power Rangers?

Post by locuas »

my point is, the magnificent seven is considered one of the greatest old west movies, and it was an adaption of seven samurai.
BigSlim
7X
Quote: There is wisdom in tokusatsu shows.

Post by BigSlim »

locuas wrote:my point is, the magnificent seven is considered one of the greatest old west movies, and it was an adaption of seven samurai.
which means it was considered one of the greatest BECAUSE it was an adaption. Not because of its originality.
Ruecian
Anime skin is so smooth
Favorite series: Kiva
2nd Favorite Series: Double
Favorite Actor?: Sean Connery
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral

Post by Ruecian »

BigSlim wrote:
Ruecian wrote:
You could just not be a snob. They're both childrens shows and both have their own themes, strengths and weaknesses and were meant to appeal to widely different audiences. Sentai isn't automatically better just because it's from Japan and sometimes has darker material.

OT: I enjoyed Power Rangers a lot growing up and I still appreciate it immensely.
typical name calling for having a different opinion. target audience is irrelevant to whether a show copies another's creativity.

Power Rangers uses the Japanese ideas but carves the Japanese Actors out of the footage that they use. Sentai is always automatically better because they make their show from scratch. Original suits, stories, mecha, sounds you name it. Instead of cutting and pasting action overseas to sell toys like power rangers does.
Typical snobbish behavior pointed out accurately you mean. The amount of effort that goes into making a Power Rangers series work is more than you've ever put into anything you've done. Writing around and editing content you didn't make to make a cohesive, original and interesting story isn't easy and the fact that the series have been so successful over the years is astonishing. Everything isn't a carbon copy and you don't seem to understand that at all. It doesn't have to be completely original to be good and just because someone came up with an idea doesn't mean it can't be improved by someone else. It's okay to have a different opinion, but just don't be ignorant about it.
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: All Sentai
Dreamy: To many to list!
Favorite Actor?: To many to list
Favorite Band: Van Canto
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: ASIAN GIRLS!
Quote: Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

Jake: "Hit it."

Post by Lunchboxx »

Ruecian wrote:Typical snobbish behavior pointed out accurately you mean. The amount of effort that goes into making a Power Rangers series work is more than you've ever put into anything you've done. Writing around and editing content you didn't make to make a cohesive, original and interesting story isn't easy and the fact that the series have been so successful over the years is astonishing. Everything isn't a carbon copy and you don't seem to understand that at all. It doesn't have to be completely original to be good and just because someone came up with an idea doesn't mean it can't be improved by someone else. It's okay to have a different opinion, but just don't be ignorant about it.
Indeed, I never could understand the debate over which is better.

Cant we all just agree to disagree and enjoy what we like? Constant bashing on thing just to make peoples point correct and not the others is just a step torwards burning the flames of a argument. I've seen it happen alot all over the internet.

So agree to disagree before I do something drastic! (Withen bounderies that wont get me in trouble. :P )
BigSlim
7X

Post by BigSlim »

Ruecian wrote:
Typical snobbish behavior pointed out accurately you mean. The amount of effort that goes into making a Power Rangers series work is more than you've ever put into anything you've done. Writing around and editing content you didn't make to make a cohesive, original and interesting story isn't easy and the fact that the series have been so successful over the years is astonishing. Everything isn't a carbon copy and you don't seem to understand that at all. It doesn't have to be completely original to be good and just because someone came up with an idea doesn't mean it can't be improved by someone else. It's okay to have a different opinion, but just don't be ignorant about it.
Not really debating which is better we all know what came first and what copies bottom line.

Label it snobbish if you want the truth is the truth. Power Rangers is unoriginal regurgitated Japanese culture, deal with it. Not my fault Saban repackaged Toei's product for you. Power Rangers success isn't astonishing its a testament to the simplicity of U.S. children to be tricked.

I'm not talking about carbon copies its about unoriginality and laziness which causes Saban to put effort into editing Super Sentai footage instead of filming their own show entirely. Good and bad is opinion I'm not trying to change yours because um... you watch Power Rangers lol
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

BigSlim
7X

Post by BigSlim »

glad you see my point locuas
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

that was sarcasm.
BigSlim
7X

Post by BigSlim »

locuas wrote:that was sarcasm.
sarcasm that proved my point

matrix intro, terminator war, super sentai suits and action. very ground breaking. 8)
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

oh, yeah, because those elements are EXCLUSIVE to those franchises.
BigSlim
7X

Post by BigSlim »

locuas wrote:oh, yeah, because those elements are EXCLUSIVE to those franchises.
until power rangers gets a hold of em you mean.
HW-DiEnd
It's Time for Buster
It's Time for Buster
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Faiz
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: Luka Milfly
Favorite Actor?: Anna Nagata
Favorite Band: Motörhead
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Yorozuya Gin-Chan
Quote: "The world is a lonely place,you're on your own..."

Post by HW-DiEnd »

I'm Brazillian,i live some countries below USA,and i grew up with Power Rangers too.It was awesome to see Tommy Oliver kicking asses as a Red/Red/White/Green/Black Ranger.PR isn't worst than Super Sentai.The Saban series was way too better than the disney ones.The Disney ones only were a copy of the sentai history with different actors(with exception of RPM and Dino Thunder).But anyway,people can't hate PR. PR IS GREAT!!
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

BigSlim wrote:
locuas wrote:oh, yeah, because those elements are EXCLUSIVE to those franchises.
until power rangers gets a hold of em you mean.
and what about super sentai then?
BigSlim
7X

Post by BigSlim »

locuas wrote: and what about super sentai then?
it came first, get over it. :)
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

oh, no, you started it, so tell me, what happens when super sentai take other series ideas and use them? as you said rpm did? what about Magiranger? or Gokaiger? huh? or what about go-buster?

Return to “Americanized stuff”