Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Kamen Rider Wizard 19 / Strength of the earth mv released

Post by takenoko »

What? Seriously? You're going to start the episode with letting the monster get away (Who you're free to defeat now that Beast is no longer in the way). This is extra stupid because he's still in his water form and they just fought underwater in the last episode. Seriously Wizard, move those legs once in a while.

What's the deal with these boneheaded characters. Oikawa sees the guy fly off with him, but then is like "You're delusional. I don't have a Phantom in me." To nitpick a little further, why is Hydra surprised that Nitou is with the Gate? The last thing he saw was Beast flying off with him.

I kind of wish Beast didn't also have an Engage Ring. If he can safely remove the magical energy without the person dying, that sort of takes away from the conflict set up in the previous episode.

It bothers me a bit slightly when stuff is resolved through coincidence, like Haruto just happening to find the letter in the painting. I mean, really good writers will make coincidences sort of happen and it'll feel natural. This just feels like "We need a happy ending, so here's this thing." I really like Wizard overall, but the writing seems very safe.

I'm glad they addressed the possibility of Wizard going in and beating up Khimaira.
ReversedSentai
T-N Hakase

Re: Kamen Rider Wizard 19 released

Post by ReversedSentai »

I found Koyomi's reaction to the crew's surprise that the Phantom gave her the stone pretty funny.

I still don't get how Nitou has an Engage Ring. He just learned about the dangers of the Gates in this episode and how they'll fall to despair if they don't protect their hope, yet he has a solution to that out of nowhere. Did he just have the ring but didn't know what it is? But if that were the case, how did he know that the ring was the solution?

Well, how convenient it is for Haruto to be in Land form right when Koyomi shows up.
Quetzalcoatl
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Black RX
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider OOO
Dreamy: Yuriko Shiratori
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Favorite Band: Kumbia Kings
My boom: Lowriders
Quote: "Chicanos killing Chicanos is what they want! Blacks and Chicanos killing each other is what they want! That's how they run this place. Once we get together they don't run shit!"

Re: Kamen Rider Wizard 19 / Strength of the earth mv release

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

I'm bit confused. Beast-guy knows how to get inside a gate's underrworld, which implies he's probably done it before and saved a gate from turning into a phantom. But didn't he just find out about the whole gate turning phantom business? plot hole? Otherwise it's like doing something even though you don't know what you're doing or why.he could have not known what the ring does till he was told, or he could have used it before because he was curious....or Khimera could have told him to use it and just neglected to tell him about the bit with gates dying. How is it different from wizard knowing how his spells work?

A rider pretty much always knows how to use his powers/weapons unless plot or humor demands otherwise.

The only spells wizard has ever has trouble using was sleep and special which required dragon mode

I mean it took beast all of 5 seconds to figure out how to Henshin. There has to be some form of automatic knowledge.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

The helmet HUD tells him everything. That is how Haruto knows what dragon part he is getting with Special.

I'm pretty sure when Haruto gets a super form. The super form will have a 2nd evolution to each element. Sort of like fire-fira-firaga.
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

After decades of Kamen Rider, people are still asking themselves "How do these riders know how to use their powers?"?
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Dengar wrote:After decades of Kamen Rider, people are still asking themselves "How do these riders know how to use their powers?"?
It has always been implied that every belt comes with one free brain-dumped guide to combat and abilities. But every now and then you'll have something like Beast, who has no clue about gates despite the fact that he has (and apparently) knows how to use an engage ring.

Chalk it up to plot holes. It's Kamen Rider, there's no shortage of them.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

Decent episode.
Yeah, I'd have to agree the letter was convenient but I think it was natural enough. I mean if I was dead, I wouldn't want some clinging to whatever we used to do to keep me "alive" I'd want them to move on. A letter was sorta the best way to convey this.

Oh Beast you don't know shit about Gates, yet know enough to enter their Underworlds and defeat their inner Phantoms. Maybe Khimeria's giving him Rider lesson's offscreen.

I feel like Land Dragon got shafted a little just like Water did(Minus the Henshin call, that's cool) it was too quick. I thought he'd at least cut him up with the claw for a while. At least Hurricane got a cool air battle, and Flame got the whole fight against Phoenix.

So what does the 4 elements evolving mean? Things are getting more interesting. I wonder when the next upgrade is.
And Koyomi..so beautiful, yet so oblivious. A teenage sized boy jumped from a tree and she didn't notice a thing.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

The thing that broke me was that too many "conveniences" had to happen for the letter to work. First, the wife had to hide the letter (for some reason). Then Haruto had to find the letter, but pocket it instead of showing it to the husband. Then the painting had to be destroyed so that Haruto has a reason to take the letter out. All that combined just really put me off by how fake it was.

I'm sure there could have been a much more natural way for that to have been resolved. It could have been as simple as the husband going through the broken pieces of the painting and finding the letter himself. At least then Haruto isn't a weirdo who reads other people's private letters and then pockets them "just in case".
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

since pixar's "up" is one of my all time favorite movies, i have to say, i believe the letter thing.
But my problem is not the letter, but rather...i don't think the painting was damaged beyond repair. i mean, i understand the man falling to despair after seeing it destroyed, but after that, he acts like it was ruined forever. The thing is, it was not shreded to pieces or burned or anything. if they give it to an expert, i think they could still repair it. If he is an artist, he should know that. just saying.
my theory is that chimera told him how to help the gate...maybe?

To be fair with haruto, the last time he tried to follow a phantom, he was poisoned.

I hate when people act like "monster? haha, that's just silly, you are an idiot, now, get away from me or i call the police". look, I don't believe in magic. but if a monster attacked me twice and a guy kidnapped me while he was flying, i would be open to the POSSIBILITY that he is telling the truth. and even if he is not, here is an advice, DO NOT CALL YOUR KIDNAPPER CRAZY!
yeah, yeah, kids shows, but at least in FOURZE people was AWARE that monsters were around. for all the flaws goseiger had, at least they tried to justify why everyone seemed to forget bout the monsters each week...
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

It seems kinda like a dick move to pocket the letter instead of give it to the old guy immediately. If Haruto had done so then the artist wouldn't have gone to pieces (PUN) when the painting was destroyed.
Alessar
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: Nexus
Favorite Actor?: Konishi Ryousei
My boom: K-Dramas
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Alessar »

Just here to give props for the Sarah Brightman song on the front page. Will watch later.

Also, send help. I've started watching a K-drama and I can't stop.
Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

takenoko wrote:The thing that broke me was that too many "conveniences" had to happen for the letter to work. First, the wife had to hide the letter (for some reason). Then Haruto had to find the letter, but pocket it instead of showing it to the husband. Then the painting had to be destroyed so that Haruto has a reason to take the letter out. All that combined just really put me off by how fake it was.

I'm sure there could have been a much more natural way for that to have been resolved. It could have been as simple as the husband going through the broken pieces of the painting and finding the letter himself. At least then Haruto isn't a weirdo who reads other people's private letters and then pockets them "just in case".
Yeah, looking back on it, the fact that Haruto kept quiet about the letter is pretty odd. But I was too hung up on Beast to notice.
Philip Aldraine
Kamen Knight
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Quote: Koko kara wa ore no sutēji da!

Post by Philip Aldraine »

When Haruto pocketed the letter I was literally yelling at him. "GIVE HIM THE FREAKING LETTER!!" I was so upset with Haruto, but Beast made it better afterwards.

I was hoping for Land Dragon to get more action, but it seemed it was cut off to quick. Maybe we'll see him use Land Dragon more? And poor Koyomi. She has a follower who's a Phantom! Tsk tsk he looks older than you~
Currently Watching: Ex-Aid, Kyuranger.

'Once you've seen the light, you can never go back to the darkness!'
stalydan
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gaim
Dreamy: Tendou (Kabuto)
Favorite Band: Versailles
Quote: Now, count up your sins!

Post by stalydan »

I didn't mind the whole deal with the letter. As a backup for the painting getting destroyed, I think Haruto was pretty smart not to show it too him. What if the letter suddenly became his object of hope?

I feel like the conflict with Nitou's life against the Gate's should have gone on a little longer but I don't mind it too much. I don't think they could have kept it up forever and a trip to an underworld seems like a great thing for him. It helps him learn more about the Gates and grow a little more but it also presents the situation where it's the reverse of what Haruto offered for him. What if Dragon started rampaging?

Leprechaun seemed a little bit more mysterious this episode. Is he with Wiseman and the other Phantoms or does he have his own agenda? What will the Dragon forms do to Haruto exactly now that he's got all of them?

Speaking of Dragon forms, Land Dragon... is my least favourite. It's not bad but I'm not liking the coat at all. The powers more than make up for it though. Gravity is pretty awesome and the claws are Very Nice (forgive the pun).

Does anyone know what the name of the Phantom was inside Oikawa? I'm very curious to know.

Preview
Spoiler
Phoenix is getting some backstory to his Gate?! Awesome! I was hoping we'd learn about the two main Phantoms eventually.
Last edited by stalydan on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Oikawa's Phantom was a Bandersnatch.

Edit from takenoko: http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Kamen_Ride ... 19#Phantom

Return to “Kamen Rider Wizard”