The Reason Why Samurai stunk.

Forum for any member who isn't in the NoPowerRangers group. Talk about Americanized shows like Power Rangers and Dragon Knight here.
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

The Reason Why Samurai stunk.

Post by FangTrigger »

After a refreshing trip to Momocon, I remembered a panel I attended in which a discussion of Power Rangers Samurai and Super Samurai was discussed. The presenter talked about how the internet was the main reason Samurai got bad reviews because Wild Force did the same thing, just with Gao Ranger and Time Force is just as guilty. After doing a bit of research and comparing episodes, I realized that he was correct. Both Wild Force and Time Force almost copied the episodes blow for blow, with small changes here and there. This could also apply to The Last Airbender, as someone who would've never saw Avatar: The Last Airbender might say that the movie was awesome (I had to force myself to type that.) That being said, these two seasons were the best in my opinion, which brings the question of: If people that never saw Shinkenger, would the reviews for Samurai be better?
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Re: The Reason Why Samurai stunk.

Post by locuas »

I don't think so.
first of all, altough wild force and time force copied the original, the main villain were not only originals, but more complex than the ones from Samurai(with the only exception of deker, who i think i prefer to his shinkenger counterpart). the main characters were more likable, and the drama better.
Also, i think people at best would say the last airbender was mindless "fun", and at worst a LOTR rip-off(or i want to believe that)
KisekiRed
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Super Sentai
Favorite Actor?: Hiroya Matsumoto
Favorite Band: D'espairsray
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Toku and Visual Kei
Quote: "The only way to get away from loneliness is to love it" - Moi Dix Mois

Post by KisekiRed »

When I watch Power Rangers, I look at it as if I don't know Sentai. This way, I won't compare the two. Now, with Samurai, I found it not very enjoyable because the actors couldn't really act. The writing to me was also sub par. Every episode I just wanted to gag. I've watched Power Rangers up until after Operation Overdrive with out even knowing about Sentai. I managed to enjoy it that far. I've watched panels of Samurai and Super Samurai from Power Morphicon, since I am too far to attend. I like the original three male actors as people, just not so much as actors. I think Megaforce is a bit better, but still suffers from terrible writing and low level actors. I see your point with comparing it too much to Sentai, but there are also other factors to consider.
Completed Rider Series: Amazon, Kuuga, Agito, Ryuki, Faiz, Blade, Hibiki, Den-O, Kiva, Decade, W, OOO, Fourze
Completed Sentai Series: Dairanger, Magiranger, Gekiranger, Go-Onger, Shinkenger, Gokaiger, Go-Busters.
[kuronogantzryu]
Everything is drama!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Dreamy: Mirei Kiritani
Favorite Actor?: Tatsuya Fujiwara

Post by [kuronogantzryu] »

I never saw Shinkenger but the acting in Samurai is atrocious, even for a kids show. I hate bad acting even if it's something as interesting as Power Rangers.
ImageImage
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

[Thread Hijacking]I just wanna throw in there that I find Power Rangers Megaforce more entertaining than Tensou Sentai Goseiger.[/Thread Hijacking]
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Kuchiri
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: LuPat
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger
Dreamy: There are alot.
Favorite Actor?: Alot of this too.
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Kuchiri »

To be honest, it wouldn't take much to be better than Goseiger.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

+1
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

Considering how many plot holes Samurai had that can only be answered with "Well they needed to contextualize this Shinkenger footage," I don't think awareness of Sentai is what made it look so bad.

Sometimes a bad show is simply a bad show, and when an American show is trying it's hardest to be a show heavily-influenced by the Japanese culture it originated from while still pretending to be a separate, all-Amrican show, it's an understatement to call it an uphill battle for it to be good.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

i still believe they should have used kendo in power rangers. sure, there would be some problems with that, but i think it could have worked better.
Lunchboxx
Salami Commander
Favorite series: Garo
2nd Favorite Series: All Sentai
Dreamy: To many to list!
Favorite Actor?: To many to list
Favorite Band: Van Canto
My boom: ASIAN GIRLS!
Quote: Elwood: "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."

Jake: "Hit it."

Post by Lunchboxx »

Yeah I agree with the acting bit. The acting in each episode just made me cringe every time. Personally the worst one was Kevin. But aside from that, the season was ok at best.

I have not seen Megaforce yet due to financial problems of not having cable tv or Hulu plus, but when I get the money, I'm going on a Megaforce binge. I am especially stoked for SUPER Megaforce!
Kaheraji
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Kaheraji »

The big issue is that Samurai had the shortest production time of any Power Rangers season. Saban reacquired the franchise in May '10, and then released casting sides about a week later for a show that was to premiere in February '11.

They had roughly 6 months to write, cast, film, edit, and prepare the episodes for broadcast (VFX, and the like).
Saejima Kouga wrote:[Thread Hijacking]I just wanna throw in there that I find Power Rangers Megaforce more entertaining than Tensou Sentai Goseiger.[/Thread Hijacking]
Kuchiri wrote:To be honest, it wouldn't take much to be better than Goseiger.
Honestly, I like Goseiger. It's biggest flaw, if you can call it that, is that it is a very average Sentai. The fact it fell between the super popular Shinkenger and the massive Nostalgia trip Gokaiger doesn't really help it's perception.

Having said that, yes, I agree that Megaforce has been a much more enjoyable series so far, comparing to both Samurai and Goseiger . I think the fact they are going all VR Troopers with the villains by having Malkor still being around is working in it's favor.
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

Kaheraji wrote:The big issue is that Samurai had the shortest production time of any Power Rangers season. Saban reacquired the franchise in May '10, and then released casting sides about a week later for a show that was to premiere in February '11.

They had roughly 6 months to write, cast, film, edit, and prepare the episodes for broadcast (VFX, and the like).
Saejima Kouga wrote:[Thread Hijacking]I just wanna throw in there that I find Power Rangers Megaforce more entertaining than Tensou Sentai Goseiger.[/Thread Hijacking]
Kuchiri wrote:To be honest, it wouldn't take much to be better than Goseiger.
Honestly, I like Goseiger. It's biggest flaw, if you can call it that, is that it is a very average Sentai. The fact it fell between the super popular Shinkenger and the massive Nostalgia trip Gokaiger doesn't really help it's perception.

Having said that, yes, I agree that Megaforce has been a much more enjoyable series so far, comparing to both Samurai and Goseiger . I think the fact they are going all VR Troopers with the villains by having Malkor still being around is working in it's favor.
And that's why i try to give samurai a free pass, and use megaforce as a way to see if saban getting PR back is a good thing or not.

Also, i think i would be nicer to goseiger if it didn't had Eri in it
FangTrigger
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Decade
2nd Favorite Series: OOO
My boom: Kamen Rider Sentai
Quote: Impossible is nothing.....Master everything!

Post by FangTrigger »

Lunchboxx wrote:Yeah I agree with the acting bit. The acting in each episode just made me cringe every time. Personally the worst one was Kevin. But aside from that, the season was ok at best.

I have not seen Megaforce yet due to financial problems of not having cable tv or Hulu plus, but when I get the money, I'm going on a Megaforce binge. I am especially stoked for SUPER Megaforce!
you can still watch it on Nick or download it (not recommended)
TAKBonez
Kamen Rider Club
Kamen Rider Club
Favorite series: Kyouryuuger/Gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Fourze
Dreamy: Luka Milfy
Favorite Actor?: None
Favorite Band: Punk & Crust
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: Hime hime hime, suki suki daisuki, hime hime
Type: ESFP Performer

Post by TAKBonez »

Besides the terrible acting I think its Nickelodeon's fault with their 20 ep only bullshit then even with that they still delayed it half a year. Having that time gap did not help at all. Jayden was a fucking horrible Red, right there along with other shitty reds like Lightspeed and Overdrive Reds.

Return to “Americanized stuff”