Aragami

All them talking pictures
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Aragami

Post by locuas »

So, today i was watching tv, when all of the sudden i found they were gonna show a 2003 movie called "Aragami". This called my attention, since i'm not used to see japanese films in television. so i checked the movie's plot.
basically, during a storm, two wounded samurai's found their way to a remote temple were a monk attended their injuries. But only one of the samurais survives. the monk convinces the surviving samurai to stay for the night, and the samurai soon discovers not everything is what it looks like.
Now, that sounds like a horror movie, right? but it is not.
it's an action movie with only three actors, set entirely in a single set, with most of the plot being the monk and the samurai talking, directed by Ryuhei Kitamura.
Apparently, this movie was born from a challenge from producer Shinya Kawai to him and fellow director Yukihiko Tsutsumi to do a movie with two leads battling in a setting, in a time frame of a week. and i, personally, tought it was really good. I recommend to not search more information about this movie than what i have said if you are thinking in watching it, because there can be some some serious spoilers
Has anyone else watched it?
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Re: Aragami

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I did, and even wrote a review on it once. I don't know if that was before or after the last time the forums had to be rebuilt.

I've seen a subbed version. It's pretty trippy. I love Ryuhei Kitamura's Japanese movies because they're always psychological mind bending crazy.

There's another one of his I think you'd like, it's called "Alive".

I found my threads for a couple other movies that are Ryuhei Kitamura:
viewtopic.php?f=123&t=1235 for "Down to Hell" and viewtopic.php?f=123&t=1233 for "Alive". I put trailers in both threads.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
Miyagishin
Humongous
Favorite series: Den-O
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: Suit Actors!
Quote: To overcome the intelligent by folly is contrary to the natural order of things; to overcome the foolish by intelligence is in accord with the natural order. To overcome the intelligent by intelligence, however, is a matter of opportunity.
--Zhuge Liang

Post by Miyagishin »

Re-posting the links since the ones from those threads are dead.

Trailer for Down to Hell : http://youtu.be/aHFoo170rMo

Trailer for Alive : http://youtu.be/lwhGjV1CcoM

His movies are usually hit or miss with me, but you've got me really intrigued about Down to Hell!
Spoiler
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I updated my links to the ones you shared, thank you.

Alive is my favorite of the Kitamura films I think. If not then it's a tie with Sky High.
Miyagishin
Humongous
Quote: To overcome the intelligent by folly is contrary to the natural order of things; to overcome the foolish by intelligence is in accord with the natural order. To overcome the intelligent by intelligence, however, is a matter of opportunity.
--Zhuge Liang

Post by Miyagishin »

I'm going to watch Alive tonight.

Just curious, what is your own opinion on Versus and Final Wars?
Spoiler
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

Down to Hell was somewhat of a prequel to Versus. Versus is pretty great with action and bizarre stuff going on.

Final Wars I loved, probably because I've a huge crush on Kane Kosugi. It had a lot of action in it, which surprised me cause most Godzilla movies are super boring (to me).

Edit: Just learned that Nakagomi from Akihabara@Deep is in Final Wars.
Miyagishin
Humongous
--Zhuge Liang

Post by Miyagishin »

So... Alive was probably my favorite movie of his that he has made as of now.

Everything about this movie really fits. The atmosphere. The characters. There's a lot of scratching your head but its in a good way. Great recommendation. Seriously! :D

Also, Final Wars has a crazy cast, its actually one of my least favorite Godzilla's because the storyline and action seems so out of place. It's one of those films you either love or hate. Have you seen all the Godzilla movies yourself? Which ones were boring!? (I have several I could list as boring as well)

Versus for me was entertaining. I remember showing it to a group of friends and they actually voted to turn it off! I've re watched it recently and it is indeed very slow at certain parts. its a fun movie but I think if anything more is expected then that its not received well. Personally I love the choreography in that movie, I wasn't sure if laughs were always intended but I laughed a good amount too. :lol:

Still searching for Down to hell... :|
Spoiler
locuas
Crossing a Millennium

Post by locuas »

i have only seen the ZILLA movie. altough i wish to see one.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I'm glad you enjoyed Alive. It was epic in my opinion too.

I don't remember which ones now, I have suppressed the memories. XD

I remember my second time through Versus I got a little bored. But I was kind of in a bad mood when I watched it the 2nd go. The first time I loved it and thought it was great.

I wish I could remember where I found it. I think I had a DDL for it that I uploaded back in the day....but all that has since disappeared.

Return to “Movies”