Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: great show

Post by takenoko »

Before the forum got wiped, I had a post with scans and a long translation and explanation about stuff that was going to be used in the show before it got cut. Kind of makes me wish I had a time machine
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Thread resurrection!

So, a few weeks with a computer but no internet access and several very long flights meant that I managed to watch this entire series in a pretty brief period of time. It was my first taste of Ultraman, and the first episode had me a little leery of whether I wanted to continue. The story kept me intrigued and, eventually, the supporting characters grew on me. Not having any previous exposure to Ultraman had me scratching my head when new concepts were introduced. I'm still not sure how much of the terminology and lore is carried from series to series and how much is unique to Nexus, but I was able to push it aside enough to enjoy the show as it unfolded.

So, after reading some of the comments, I see that Nexus was prematurely canceled? It was a little slow in the beginning, but I didn't think it was bad. Interesting to see discussions about the could-have-been scenarios, but the ending it had was probably as effective as it was because of the pace of how many twists are thrown at the audience. Along with that final episode, the DC of episode 29 and the special exploring Shiori's background were some of my favorite parts of the series.

The first opening theme was very catchy, particularly the chorus. I found myself humming it more than once.

Komon was a good protagonist. Not completely hapless, but he still had room to grow over the course of the series. Ren reminded me of a cross between Fuuma's Reira and Ryuki's Shinji. He played the role with such an innocence, which made my jaw drop when I just read that he went on to play Punch Hopper in Kabuto. Makes me want to re-watch some of that series.

Now, to figure out which Ultraman series to try from here.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Unfortunately, Nexus is this weird anomaly in the Ultraman universe. The whole continuity may have massed together to jointly expel Nexus from canon, or I dunno

Anyway, most Ultraman series are a lot more happy go lucky than this one. It might be worth checking out the Ultraman movie that tied into the 3 N project and served to be kind of the prologue to Nexus

I kind of feel like UltraSeven X was a good spiritual successor to Nexus. I mean, it's a short series, so there's definitely some gems in there

Ahahaha, OJ is watching Nexus right now and he just started the second part. Poor orange vest Ren, so different from the douche that he becomes in Kabuto (He's also in Faiz!)

And talking about Ultraman series being canceled:
http://www.hulu.com/ultraman-towards-the-future
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

Anomaly or not, I enjoyed it. It made me want to give another series a try, even if it doesn't have the same tone.

I did see the Faiz credit too, but I was so blown away by his role in Kabuto that I fixated on that. That, and I couldn't immediately recall his character in Faiz, so it wasn't as impressive.

Watching the series without learning about the drama behind the scenes until after I'm completely done is kind of interesting. It reminds me of my reaction to Hibiki - I could feel a change in tone in Hibiki, but I didn't find it as offensive as a lot of people who watched the show as it was airing or are aware of the production turmoil ahead of time. Similarly, I think there's a point in Nexus where the pacing shifts, but it was worked into the story well enough that it didn't kill the story.

Thanks for the tip about Ultraseven X. I think I'll give it a try next.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

I might have relayed this anecdote before, but when the second Ultraman appeared, people were panicking. There were already rumors that the series was too dark and that the creators were working to lighten it up a bit, which worried us, since we thought it'd be a direct transition back into the upbeat Ultraman series

True or not, it does seem like the second half of the series is less about the Night Raiders and the overall tone does seem different. But maybe a lot of that stuff was planned in the first place, there's just no way to know without asking the creators
oddjob
Humongous
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Ultraman Nexus
Quote: "Giving up" is what kills people.

It is only when a person refuses to give up no matter what that they earn the right of walking down humanity's noble pathway.

Post by oddjob »

I love this show!

The first part was cool, I liked how Kumon developed.

I also liked the second part.

And the ending was well put together.

And this is also the first time I enjoyed both openings!

Ultraseven X was my first Ultraman, I loved it. But now, I don't know, I think I will watch it again just to be sure!
Sexy_RoboVoice
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Maskman
Favorite Actor?: Johnny Depp
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Tokusatsu
Quote: 'If you can't learn to love yourself... how the hell are you gonna love anybody else?' - RuPaul Charles

Post by Sexy_RoboVoice »

this was one of the first series I downloaded from TVNihon, I haven't watched all of it yet, but I love how dark this series is and how it kinda follows on from that movie Ultraman The Next.

I also kinda like how at the start of the series the guy that ends up joining the special ops unit to hunt down aliens in the beginning of the series doesn't start off as Ultraman until later in the series, I thought that was pretty cool.
Phaiz
Favorite series: Shinkenger
2nd Favorite Series: KR Faiz
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by Phaiz »

after seeing all the love for ultraman nexus, i really want to start watching this series soon. it is going to be the very first ultraman series ive watch but i can wait, ill start after im done with KR Blade :D
Completed
KR Decade, KR Faiz, KR Blade and Shinkenger

Active
KR Den-O and KR Ryuki

Future
KR Den-O and Dekaranger
TemplarKnight
There are five lights!
There are five lights!

Post by TemplarKnight »

I'm almost to episode 30 and I didn't realize until episode 25 that the Ultraman(2004) movie came first. For some reason I thought it was the other way around.

I also thought that ya'll had it, but turns out I was wrong and have had trouble finding a subbed copy(at best I've found a raw version and a separate sub that I have to figure out how to attach. Are ya'll planning to sub the movie any time in the future, or has it been licensed?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

The original Japanese DVD comes with (bad) subtitles so we never subbed. Regardless, it's pretty cheap:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=BCBS-3728
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

When refering to nexus don't forget the ties it has with Ultraman the Next

I really liked nexus, and yes it was a dark cat and mouse game. There was plenty of times that I sat back and thought "whoah that is messed up". Honestly I wish they would have kept it up but you can't help the result when producers feel they have a bad show.

Someone mentioned that they wanted to know what other Ultraman to watch. Though not TECHNICALLY an ultraman series, but it does take place in the Ultra universe us Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster battle. It's movie has(later much later) Ultraman Zero, and someone mentioned that there was supposed to be a Lucifer, well UGMMB has a bad guy with just as bad rep. (Due to culture and superstions I can't say the name XD kinda like not saying Voldamort but in real life). I'll give you a hint the continuation movie after UGMMB movie is Ultraman Zero Revenge of -. Why I bring this up is XD the design for - is a cross between spiderman's venom, and the Lucifer drawing.
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

"I might have relayed this anecdote before, but when the second Ultraman appeared, people were panicking. There were already rumors that the series was too dark and that the creators were working to lighten it up a bit, which worried us, since we thought it'd be a direct transition back into the upbeat Ultraman series"

Takenoko Question: I just reached the midway mark of Ultraman Leo and I can't help but to wonder if you watched it yet. When I first read this tread I have had yet to watch Leo. Now that I have I can't find Nexus as dark, f-ed up yes, but no wear near where Leo went. But yes, current trends in toku tend to go more towards the kiddies, then adults that Leo was more aimed towards.
Hase0
Adventure
Favorite series: Nexus, Kuuga, Kabuto
Quote: A man's job is 80 percent decision making. The rest is just a bonus.

Post by Hase0 »

Spoiler
just finished the series today
i must say "WOW, THAT WAS A DAMN DAMN GOOD SHOW"
i like how dark the series is, especially the himeya arc. It was so depressing yet intriguing & addicting.
Each character have developments to their own, i like the idea of becoming the ultraman is deteriorating the deunamist's body
I saw this when i was 16 or 17, it was too dark for me that i had to drop it. I found it too boring for me at that time.
So i saw Tv-Nihon sub this series, i can't help to rewatch the entire series because there are still some mysteries i left behind.
I wish this series could have gone longer, it's very very good 8)
And yes the final episode was a bit rushed. I don't like the idea that they keep fighting the space beast after Noa defeated zagi, It thought that was the end *means that there will be no more space beast*
I hope they will make something like this again in the future, or maybe Toei *somehow* will gone this way with their kamen riders though i highly doubt it.
Hase0
Adventure
Favorite series: Nexus, Kuuga, Kabuto
Quote: A man's job is 80 percent decision making. The rest is just a bonus.

Post by Hase0 »

after seeing all the comments, i really like to see what Nexus could have become if it didn't get cut in the middle of the series.
Such a shame, it could have been a greater series :/
squashy
Gabu
Dreamy: Koyomi-tan~
Favorite Actor?: Takamasa Suga
Favorite Band: Fall Out Boy
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Chokushi no Magan
Quote: I'm full of motivation!

Post by squashy »

So I just rewatched the first episode and something is bugging me. Komon said it was the first time he met his girlfriend, but I don't remember seeing any romance between Komon and Nagi, nor do I feel there'd have been any if the show had been longer. Maybe I'm missing something?

btw I have been meaning to ask this since I finished the show but somehow it just slipped my mind, what the hell is Lethe? Some sort of a container for "condensed" memory? A subdimention? Alien tech?
Image RIDER HEADBUTT!!!

Return to “Ultraman Nexus”