takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Re: Not many women in Sentai, are there?

Post by takenoko »

Well forced diversity comes off as artificial. "People are saying there are too many white people in friends, time for Ross to get a black girlfriend."

But if there were ever a Sentai series where we had 3 guys and 3 girls on its own or a lead red female, I think that'd be an exciting change.

It's not just Japan. We probably all could be a bit better about stuff if we thought about it. We have to take what it is for what it is, but we shouldn't be making excuses for it.
kirifuda
Kamen Rider Club
Kamen Rider Club
Favorite series: super sentai
2nd Favorite Series: kamen rider
Dreamy: momotaros
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Quote: i'm gonna tear down my barriers with my own hands

Post by kirifuda »

The biggest problem with any show is when any "justice" type group gets hold of it and starts ripping it apart for what it was. If we were to ever get a show that pleased everyone it would probably be one of the worst shows on the face of the planet and no one would want to watch it. The characters would be so....not watchable, for lack of a better word and a sad force of repeating myself. Also I think in a show where it's "made for everyone" then there wouldn't be a chance to properly develop or explain people the way they're needed to be at times. Everyone would come off as an extreme stereotype or highly superficial right at the get go and unless people were willing to have entire arcs worth of episodes dedicated to development nothing would happen.

Also I'm really not wanting Sentai/Kamen Rider/T+A GARO for things like plot or equality or anything else. I'm watching them for a good time, amazing monster suits + hero costumes, and as a fun way to learn some conversational Japanese outside of harassing my pen pals over Skype. It's like watching Spanish Soap Operas all over again except everyone doesn't have AIDS and there aren't evil twin/cousins/clones popping up every five minutes.

( Also in terms of female heros didn't GranSazer have quite a few females? I think there was at least one per tribe, right? Still only a 1/4 of the main leads but that's more than Sazer X had )
kuroblack
Go Go!

Post by kuroblack »

hem, more women... do we really want a Sailor Moon Sentai?
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

kuroblack wrote:hem, more women... do we really want a Sailor Moon Sentai?
YES!

Super Sentai is what inspired Naoko Takeuchi to write Sailor Moon.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
ky01
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Gokaiger, Shinkenger
Dreamy: Luka Millfy
Alignment: Lawful Evil
My boom: Boom? Kaboom.
Quote: Don't blindly rush in. --Takeru Shiba

Post by ky01 »

OnmyojiOmn wrote:http://imgur.com/a/E70FI

Not safe for work! I'll understand if this gets deleted.
Thanks for this.
Lunagel
Mofu~
Favorite series: Magiranger
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger

Post by Lunagel »

To be fair, Kakuranger and Gekiranger officially said in-series that the leaders were the female members of the team, not Red.
Saejima Kouga
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: GARO
2nd Favorite Series: Cutie Honey the Live
Dreamy: Chase
My boom: The new Garo series
Quote: Why don’t I put a stake through her heart? You’d be surprised what that’ll kill.
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by Saejima Kouga »

I forget, but wasn't Time Pink also the leader?

In any case, Red was always the one actually doing the leading or having the big 1:1 battles/missions/etc

Even if they never do a female red, having a female leader who is actually the leader/center of focus instead of red would be a nice change.
I’m the one nightmares are afraid of.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

>( Also in terms of female heros didn't GranSazer have quite a few females? I think there was at least one per tribe, right? Still only a 1/4 of the main leads but that's more than Sazer X had )[/quote]

One member in each tribe was female, and each tribe had three members. So 1/3
XerBlade
Golden Knight
Golden Knight
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Build
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Faiz
Dreamy: Tatsulot
Favorite Actor?: Ishida Akira
Alignment: Neutral Good
Quote: Kamen Rider Meteorologist! I will decide your forecast!
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by XerBlade »

dancercotillion wrote:
toni2212 wrote:I came to Shokotan's concert last year and the way she move and perform it's hard for me to tell that she's 28.
Do... do you think us 85er's are crippled with arthritis, hobbling our way through life until we expire in fifty more years?
I'm an 84er, and I'm crippled (practically) with arthritis. So you're not that far off.
And remember, Sentai shows last for a year, so even if she started now she'd cross that threshold before the end.
[lol]
Saejima Kouga wrote:
YES!

Super Sentai is what inspired Naoko Takeuchi to write Sailor Moon.
In fact, she even went as far as to say she meant it to be essentially an all-female Sentai.
You have to admit, the similarities, especially to the Sentai of the time, are uncanny.
Watching
Kamen Rider: Saber

Complete
Kamen Rider: All Black and later
Sentai: Shinkenger,Gokaiger,Magic Kaito VS Detective Conan
Garo: All
kirifuda
Kamen Rider Club
Kamen Rider Club
Favorite series: super sentai
2nd Favorite Series: kamen rider
Dreamy: momotaros
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Quote: i'm gonna tear down my barriers with my own hands

Post by kirifuda »

takenoko wrote:One member in each tribe was female, and each tribe had three members. So 1/3
I was going overall with there being 12 people total, four tribes. So.....yeah my math is still freaking horrible.

( You're totally correct, ahahahahaha sorry 'bout that ) Just goes to show why I'll never teach math to children. Still though we have to think that 1/3 of the cast as women for a toku show isn't so bad right?

-snip-

*goes and sits in a corner to learn to do fractions again*
Last edited by Lunagel on Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Don't talk about future episodes please.
dekamaster
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: magiranger
My boom: sentai/kamen rider

Post by dekamaster »

personally i'd say the ratio isn't that bad, as if you exclude the series where the teams start off as three and then over time gain their fourth and fifth and some times sixth ranger since the numbers start off at 1/3 of the team being female and because with the exception of Miu(and the genderless robots like J, goseknight and signalman) all extra rangers are traditionally male, the numbers jump to 35% of all sentai being female. which not to be sexist seems right since to me sentai has always seemed to be aimed generally more towards boys than girls, and for the most part kids to me have always seemed to prefer seeing somebody the same gender as the main character rather than somebody of the opposite which in turn leads to males getting the third person, while at the same time it also leads to a male 6th.

but anyway my point being 1 in 3 ain't bad could be worse like 1 in 5 or 1 in 6.
series I've watched

sentai:Live,Dai,deka,magi,geki,go on,shinken,gosei,gokai,go busters

kamen rider:ZX,ryuki,Decade,W,OOO,fourze
nanaholic
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com
http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

Post by nanaholic »

Why not? I think that Sentai (and Kamen Rider) has long enough of a history that they probably should consider letting a female take the lead and be in centre stage for a change. There's no reason they can't make a strong female leader (possible to be similar to the real Shinken Red) except because of stereotype and sexism that they think young boys won't like a female leader and hence be bad for ratings and toy sales, but with Sentai being a team game I really don't see how that is a problem since they will definitely have guys in the team anyway. Perhaps even have a long ongoing rivalry in the story like one of the male ranger don't acknowledge the female leader preciously because of sexism but later admits that she is capable, heck it might even do some good to the society on a larger scale in the long run as entertainment is impressionable on young minds.

There are only so many types of male leads that they can keep recycling before it gets boring.
Darkwings
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by Darkwings »

redfarmer wrote:
Darkwings wrote:The reason why they are few is that there's usually one per team.
The reason why there's one per team is exactly to avoid having none at all (and all sort of criticism and consequences coming form that).
Sun Vulcan is the only time there's been an all-male team. That was pretty early on, so it would be interesting to know if they got some criticism at not having a woman on the team.
I don't know for sure, but the fact that it was very early on and that it was never attempted again surely could be seen as a clear answer.

Also, Sun Vulcan comes from a completely different era when such things were treated in a complete different manner: they were almost not considered at all, and not just in Japan.

Every show does the same thing: what they think the audience perceives is what matters, be that the actual reality or not.
Putting ONE of a 'thing' just to have it there is quite the opposite of the equality they'd like to show.

Sadly, 'protected demographics' work exactly in the same way in real life.

Btw a 5-girls Sentai could definetely work, as long as they're actual girls and not walking stereotypes.
If there's such a thing as 'bronies' and lately effeminate boys in KR I don't see why that wouldn't work out.
Enter the Meteor
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Go-Busters
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze
Dreamy: Sawada Shione
Favorite Actor?: Ryo Yoshizawa
Favorite Band: Spiv States
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Learning
Quote: "Kamen Raidā Meteo, Omae no sadame wa ore ga kimeru!"

Post by Enter the Meteor »

Darkwings wrote:
Btw a 5-girls Sentai could definetely work...
That is why they made "Smile PreCure!". It is a girly version of Sentai, even though I am a male, I love it!

But, let me give my two words on the topic: just sad.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Enter the Meteor wrote:That is why they made "Smile PreCure!". It is a girly version of Sentai, even though I am a male, I love it!
Actually, "Yes Precure 5" was a 5-girl squad before "Smile Precure".

Return to “Sentai”