Dreamy: Luka Milfy
Favorite Actor?: None
Favorite Band: Punk & Crust
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Quote: Hime hime hime, suki suki daisuki, hime hime
Type: ESFP Performer

Re: KR Wizard 50 released

Post by TAKBonez »

takenoko wrote:I guess we're just going to have to disagree here. But personally, I think a good antagonist should have a meaningful relationship with the rest of the cast. Fueki does. Gremlin is just kind of off doing his own thing?

Yeah, I guess the hero shouldn't be cutting down other humans. But... no? We've seen plenty of shows where it's okay to kill off the bad guy, human or not. And it would have been a more meaningful decision for Wizard to make if he was forced to do it to stop Fueki's madness. Having Gremlin do it was kind of a cop out. Like Fueki killing Medusa so that Mayu didn't have to do it herself. It breaks the basic revenge story convention and only leaves us with an unsatisfactory impact on the viewer.

As for Gremlin's actor. I really never blame the actors for bad performances in these shows. If the director decided to go with a bad performance instead of redoing it so that it was better, that's more on the director's head.
Gremlin doing his own thing is why I like him so much he's batshit crazy but sharp as a nail and just doesn't give a fuck. I think the actor did a great job at portraying a crazy as mother fucker thats always trolling and scheming. As far as the getting revenge part why should someone always succeed in their revenge? Personally I think the whole access denied part is a nice change of pace and pretty shocking. Usually there's the lesson that nothing ever good comes of revenge. Here though its just access denied and someone else kills the person they wanted to get revenge on. Gremlin Greatest Troll That Ever Lived!
archer9234
Faiz
Favorite series: Hurricanger
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Dreamy: Hurricane Blue
Favorite Actor?: Patrick Stewert
Favorite Band: Project R
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Hulk Universe
Quote: "Don't get us angry. You REALLY don't want to see us angry!" - Hulk & She-Hulk

Post by archer9234 »

takenoko wrote:
As for Gremlin's actor. I really never blame the actors for bad performances in these shows. If the director decided to go with a bad performance instead of redoing it so that it was better, that's more on the director's head.
In some cases the director is intentionally telling them to act like that. If you've seen Power Rangers Wild Force. Everyone always makes fun of Princess Shayla's high as a kit acting. I've seen raw footage of WF. Sakamoto is forcing her to act ridicules. I usually won't insult actors because it's usually not them.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Yeah exactly, they're just instruments to the creation process. Just doing what the director is telling them to do.
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

OOOKaiser wrote:I haven't felt so much hate for someone in the Kamen Rider series except for Kusaka Masato from Kamen Rider Faiz
I... wh...what? I can understand hating Kusaka, he's intended to be someone you hate. He's a creep and a stalker and a generally shitty person who sabotages Takumi repeatedly out of jealousy, hatred, and self-loathing. But then, in the pantheon of characters since, you choose Takigawa Sora to hate equally? I can't even muster up enough emotion about Sora to describe how I feel about him. He's a practical non-entity, honestly. I am... apathetic at best in regards to Gremlin.

I think he might have made more sense as an old friend of Haruto, like the soccer dude. Sora says a few times how he and Haruto are "the same", and they should have really hammered on that point, had them know one another and maybe not be best friends but show how it's the little differences that made Haruto a hero and Sora a villain. But they didn't connect them at all, so Sora is just some guy floating about, being an unstable dickhead just because.
TheLastTatlFan
Strongest Brave
Strongest Brave
Favorite series: Dekaranger/Kuuga
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger/W
Dreamy: Mao Ichimichi
Favorite Actor?: Hiro Mizushima
Alignment: Lawful Good
My boom: Kamen Rider/Sentai
Quote: "There is no justice in this battle. There is just a single, pure wish."

Post by TheLastTatlFan »

So, Kamen Rider Wizard, then.

I liked this show better when it was called Kamen Rider Ryuki.
dekamaster
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: gokaiger
2nd Favorite Series: magiranger
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: sentai/kamen rider

Post by dekamaster »

I personally don't see how Sora turning himself back into a human could weaken him, I mean he didn't say he was going to get rid of his phantom powers after all. I mean we all know being human doesn't mean you can't use magic since in this episode alone we saw 7 mages(5 of which being former mages but still) and since the Philosiphers stone is supposed to have enough magic in it to cover the entire planet I don't see why it wouldn't be able to give Sora his human body back while still retaining the power of his phantom body.

Also in retrospect their were hints that Sora'd be the big bad when he said that him and haruto would finish their duel when he got his hands on the philosiphers stone so theirs also that bit of info that'd lead you to believe that he'd be able to keep his magic since he's not stupid and wouldn't try challenging Haruto without any magic when he couldn't beat him with magic.
series I've watched

sentai:Live,Dai,deka,magi,geki,go on,shinken,gosei,gokai,go busters

kamen rider:ZX,ryuki,Decade,W,OOO,fourze
OOOKaiser
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by OOOKaiser »

dancercotillion wrote:
OOOKaiser wrote:I haven't felt so much hate for someone in the Kamen Rider series except for Kusaka Masato from Kamen Rider Faiz
I... wh...what? I can understand hating Kusaka, he's intended to be someone you hate. He's a creep and a stalker and a generally shitty person who sabotages Takumi repeatedly out of jealousy, hatred, and self-loathing. But then, in the pantheon of characters since, you choose Takigawa Sora to hate equally? I can't even muster up enough emotion about Sora to describe how I feel about him. He's a practical non-entity, honestly. I am... apathetic at best in regards to Gremlin.

I think he might have made more sense as an old friend of Haruto, like the soccer dude. Sora says a few times how he and Haruto are "the same", and they should have really hammered on that point, had them know one another and maybe not be best friends but show how it's the little differences that made Haruto a hero and Sora a villain. But they didn't connect them at all, so Sora is just some guy floating about, being an unstable dickhead just because.
I'm just saying my opinion.
[kuronogantzryu]
Everything is drama!
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Hibiki
2nd Favorite Series: Kamen Rider Gaim
Dreamy: Mirei Kiritani
Favorite Actor?: Tatsuya Fujiwara

Post by [kuronogantzryu] »

Recently finished watching Ryuki so I can easily make a few comparisons off the top of my head.

- Wiseman/White Wizard is the cause behind the eclipse and creating the Phantoms and Haruto's wizard powers. Reason is to revive his daughter's soul.
Ryuki:
Spoiler
Shiro creates the Rider Battle (and its mirror monsters) inadvertently leading to Shinji gaining the Ryuki deck. Reason is to give the winner's life to a "dead" Yui.

- Koyomi was dead before the series began and thus led to the above.
Ryuki:
Spoiler
Yui was dead before the series began and thus led to the above.

- Koyomi decides for herself that what her father is doing is wrong/bad and would rather sacrifice her existence than those around her. If she didn't die, her father never would've seeked the eclipse and create its subsequent events.
Ryuki:
Spoiler
Yui decides on many occasions (towards the end of the series) that she'd rather die than let Shiro give her a new life from another person. If she didn't die, Shiro never would've created the Rider Battle and its subsequent events.

- Koyomi dies a few EPs before series ends. Most likely will be alive at the end of series.
Ryuki:
Spoiler
Yui dies second to last EP. She is alive at the end of the series (in a sense).

They did this better in Ryuki.

I did like the fight between Wizard and WW. Haruto using Infinity (his own power that he gained) was a heroic-ly thing to do and really symbolic to his character.
Last edited by [kuronogantzryu] on Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

There's nothing wrong with using similar plot elements to a previous show, Sentai does it constantly. The issue is that Wizard isn't well-written and drops every possible ball at all times.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

As long as it doesn't have (Ryuki Spoiler)
Spoiler
A GIANT RESET BUTTON THAT EVEN BRINGS THE CONFIRMED UNREPENTANT SERIAL KILLER/ARSONIST BACK TO LIFE AND NOT IN JAIL WHERE HE WAS BEFORE HE GOT INVOLVED!
... Then I'd still prefer Wizard over Ryuki.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
squashy
Gabu
Dreamy: Koyomi-tan~
Favorite Actor?: Takamasa Suga
Favorite Band: Fall Out Boy
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Chokushi no Magan
Quote: I'm full of motivation!

Post by squashy »

Kogashi wrote:As long as it doesn't have (Ryuki Spoiler)
Spoiler
A GIANT RESET BUTTON THAT EVEN BRINGS THE CONFIRMED UNREPENTANT SERIAL KILLER/ARSONIST BACK TO LIFE AND NOT IN JAIL WHERE HE WAS BEFORE HE GOT INVOLVED!
... Then I'd still prefer Wizard over Ryuki.
Well at least Ryuki has one of those, and one badass enough I honestly don't mind him walking around starting some troubles for the rest of the cast. The one in Wizard, I just wish he could never walk around or say any damn words.
Image RIDER HEADBUTT!!!

Return to “Kamen Rider Wizard”