Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Arms names? Japanese or English

Post by takenoko »

Quick poll. Do you guys prefer that we translate the Arms names (as we are now) or should we keep it in Japanese (like we did in OOO)

So Strawberry Arms would be Ichigo Arms, Watermelon Arms would be Suika Arms, and Grape Arms would be Budou Arms.
Mandalori
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Dreamy: Koyomi / Rian
Quote: Lost in Thoughts All Alone

Favorite Super Sentai : Goseiger / Kyoryuuger / ToQger / Kyuuranger
Favorite Kamen Rider : Wizard / Gaim / Ex-Aid / Build / Zero-One
Favorite Garo : Yami Wo Terasu Mono / Gold Storm Shou / Kami No Kiba

Re: Arms names? Japanese or English

Post by Mandalori »

I think it should be left in Japanese, with a translator note.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

I think how we've been doing it so far is fine.
HowlingSnail
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by HowlingSnail »

Japanese. I know that I always call them Ichigo and Suika, so that's what I like to see in the subs.
Seen:
Super Sentai: Fiveman onwards
Kamen Rider: Ichigou-Skyrider, all the Heisei/Reiwa series except the American shows.
Precure: DokiDoki-Go Pri
Metal Heroes: Gavan
Other: Spiderman, Power Rangers
Yunnlong
Adventure
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: Sleep is God, now go worship.

Post by Yunnlong »

If you want your subs to be more accessible to newer people, it'd be best to keep the Arms names as they are.
Crimzonite
Mega

Post by Crimzonite »

I don't mind either way, really. But there isn't an "I don't mind either way, really" option on the poll, so. ^^;
OmegaOne
Secretly a Robot in Disguise
Favorite series: Agito
2nd Favorite Series: Boukenger
Alignment: Neutral Good

Post by OmegaOne »

I would equate this to Hibiki where TV-Nihon translated his first new form as Kurenai. It could have been made simple by translating it to Crimson, but that's not the proper name of the form, so leaving it is more appropriate. I'd also equate it to OOO where the Medals were left with their Japanese names and it didn't hurt anyone to remember "that's a hawk, tiger, and grasshopper Medal". Likewise I think the Arms in Gaim should go the same way, as a viewer I can tell it's a strawberry, it's a pinecone, it's a watermelon, and the culture doesn't have to be sacrificed to spell it out for me. They're proper names, they should be left as such.
TJ Omega: Reviewing Transformers, tokusatsu toys, and all things childish
http://www.youtube.com/user/TJOmega
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

This might not be the right thing to say, but accessibility isn't really important to me. It's okay if we only appeal to a niche crowd, which is you guys. So just go with whatever you guys like best.

I actually voted for the English one myself, since I don't see a reason to leave it untranslated. But I have noticed that regardless, people have been using the Japanese names for the Arms name anyway. So if that's what people prefer, I'd like to meet their expectations. Hence, the poll.

Edit: Huh, that's a good point Omega One. It does bother me a bit that we're not using the proper name of the forms, which are left in Japanese even in the English portions of the official webpage.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Post by DaVinci030 »

I prefer English. 'cause I wanted to know what fruit is it. I can't stand reading a "Budou Arms" or "Suika Arms" like that so I perfer not to keep in Japanese. That's why.
Yunnlong wrote:If you want your subs to be more accessible to newer people, it'd be best to keep the Arms names as they are.
I agree.

By the way, OOO (like "Taka Tora Batta")... is okay.

Revorse
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: W
2nd Favorite Series: Kiva/Blade
Quote: "For you, there is no finale."

Post by Revorse »

I'd prefer English. Simply because that's already what you guys have been doing.
I don't mind Japanese though, like someone mentioned below as long as there is a translator's note. Thanks to the translator's note and OOO I know the Japanese names of a few animals. Nice little benefit from watching these shows I suppose.

As for the proper name thing. I'm not translator or anything of the sort but does that matter? In this case anyway, I'm fairly certain there are many instances where it does.
I mean regardless of what you call it a strawberry would still be a strawberry right?
Ichigo Arm or Strawberry Arms, he's attacking people with exploding juicy kunai that resemble strawberries.
LigerFan
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by LigerFan »

Mandalori wrote:I think it should be left in Japanese, with a translator note.
I agree with this. Perhaps make the note (ichigo = Strawberry) a one-time or rare thing?
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

Ichigo is probably the one Japanese fruit term that most people would know since it's used in anime titles so much.

I think there's a reason why they interchange between using English for some fruit and Japanese for others. I voted to keep the Japanese ones in Japanese even though I have to rework the effects for these. Also it would be a learning thing like Suika = Watermelon.
Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

OmegaOne wrote:They're proper names, they should be left as such.
So is Tajyadol and Shiroi Mahoutsukai and, frankly speaking, it'd be kind of dumb to use those.

Thinking about it some more (movie spoilers):
Spoiler
What do we do if we keep them in Japanese and the Rider Arms for Hongo Takeshi is "Ichigo Arms"? Wouldn't that 'cause confusion if we change "Strawberry" to "Ichigo"?
Greenstalker
Mega

Post by Greenstalker »

Voted for japanese as I agree about what OmegaOne said but I don't mind either way at this point since english is not my main language anyway it is mostly remains same for me if it is translated or not.
xanzerxiii
7X
Quote: Nn~ Aah~ Ecstasy!
Type: INTP Architect

Post by xanzerxiii »

I vote Japanese because from these few episodes I have learn the names of the Japanese fruits and nuts.
And also I prefer to refer them in their Japanese names rather in English i.e. Suika Arms, Budou Arms etc.

Plus it's a good thing to learn the names of the fruits in Japanese right?

Anyway we know that the arms name is the based on fruits name so i don't think the translator's note is needed (maybe once is enough). Plus the arm change scene is obvious showing what fruit is used. (Unless the arms change scene is not shown or you don't know what fruit that is being showed that is another problem)

That is just my honest opinion though.
I will never give up ze yo!

Return to “Kamen Rider Gaim”