Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Kyouryuuger ratings

Post by takenoko »

Well the numbers are in. Thanks to Davinci for keeping those updated on the wiki:

Average: 3.9%
Highest: 5.3% (Brave 33) Introduces Maximum
Lowest 2.3% (Brave 24) Introduces the 7th Kyouryuuger

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/ZyuDen_Sen ... er#Ratings

Go-Busters by comparison:

Average - 4.1%
Highest - 5.3% (Mission 36) Introduces Go-Buster Lioh
Lowest - 2.2% (Mission 22) Introduces Escape

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Tokumei_Se ... rs#Ratings
Sauce
Yakiniku Wizard
Yakiniku Wizard
Favorite series: Dekaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Megaranger/Boukenger
Dreamy: all da lady
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Sentai
Quote: "Super Hungry, Gyudon Changer!"
Type: ENFP Champion

Re: Kyouryuuger ratings

Post by Sauce »

So, pretty much the same, but the average did decrease again last year. That's too bad, I gathered the impression it was sort of a popular thing for some reason.

Also shoutouts to Zyuranger. (You probably want to move the thread)
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

At least no one will ever know that the thread was originally labeled ZyuRanger ratings!
ViRGE
Save the life

Post by ViRGE »

Takenoko, unfortunately your high for Go-Busters is wrong.

High: 5.3% (Mission 36).

In fact there were nearly two-dozen episodes better than 4.1%.

---

Anyhow, despite Go-Busters being lamented as a poorly performing show, the ratings tell a different story. Kyouryuuger in that respect did slightly worse than Go-Busters. Though from what we know about the toy sales (the value that really matters), Kyou made a killing as compared to Go-Busters. So while a few more people were watching Go-Busters, they purchased far less merchandise.

The lesson: introduce some new gimmick every week, I guess?

Though there's no getting around the fact that Sentai ratings are clearly still sliding. They've gone from 7% on Abaranger to 4% on Kyou. I guess as long as toy sales stay up this will be okay, but I have to wonder how much longer this slide can go on before they have to start making significant cuts to keep the budget in line.
Last edited by ViRGE on Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Whoops! I just grabbed it off the ratings wiki. Looks like 4.1 is the average, not the highest.
Phoenix512
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top

Post by Phoenix512 »

The real reason why Sentai has been in a ratings decline is due to Pokemon Smash/Get☆TV. This last year was probably bad for Sentai since they were running a bunch of exclusive news of Pokemon X and Y.
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

I decided to compare with the figures from 10 years ago, which was Magiranger. Ratings are currently about half what they were then. That's a huge drop! What's happened to this franchise? KR ratings have also dropped a fair bit over that periood, but not quite as fast.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

I assume there is some kind streaming service that TV Asahi provides. Ratings generally only apply to the physical time slot, and more and more people are choosing to watch shows online at their convenience.

Also, keeping in mind for these shows, the toy sales really dictate everything, so nobody will really care what the ratings are as long as the toys fly off the shelves.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

Plus they've been losing to Pokemon for years now
Merisusa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: PGSM / Akibaranger
2nd Favorite Series: Fourze / Gokaiger
Dreamy: Nephrite / Yumeria
Favorite Actor?: Masato Wada
Favorite Band: Yuzu / Daft Punk
My boom: Gekiga
Quote: We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. -Oscar Wilde

Post by Merisusa »

Sadly I think you cannot have such a long running series and not experience poor ratings at some points during the run. It reminds me of when I was in school for classical animation and the teachers always stressed that because it was an entertainment based industry, and one aimed at children/youth that it was incredibly cyclical. On roughly a cycle of 5-10 years the industry would experience high popularity and then slide into a lull. Disney being a prime example of this with it's popularity in the early 1990's, lull in the early 2000, and now a return to popularity with films like Frozen. So to extrapolate I would imagine that Toei goes through similar lulls and peaks... Right now they are in a lull.

Besides I think the real deciding factor for the success of a Sentai installment is how fondly remembered they are down the road... For example Jetman and Dairanger seem to be popular, while J.A.K.Q. not so much.
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

It pretty much is same shit different year. To be honest, from Goseiger through to Gobusters, I kind of forced myself to watch. Rider seems to be a bit better, with Wizard being the only one I haven't enjoyed in a while.

It would be interesting to see if we could locate comparative toy sales. I keep hearing that Gobuster sold rubbish, but I there is a high possibility that is just /m/ trolls doing what they do best.
dat20091
Go Go!
Quote: "Where there is light, shadows lurk and fear reigns... yet by the blade of Knights, mankind was given hope..."

Post by dat20091 »

I feel as go busters toy sales were bad due to the less gimmicky approach since Goseigers with the cards, Gokaigers with the ranger keys and Kyouryuuger with the different batteries
Aldrato
Complacent masses
Complacent masses

Post by Aldrato »

AxemYellow wrote:KR ratings have also dropped a fair bit over that periood, but not quite as fast.
Actually, Fourze and Wizard were the lowest rated Riders ever. And Gaim has an even lower average than both already, so it keeps dropping.

It's no coincidence, tv ratings in general are dropping in Japan. Let's not forget these ratings are only for live watching, and the timeslot isn't great. It's much more comfortable to watch it streaming or simply recording it to watch later, which is very easy in our current HD era.

It's nothing exclusive to one franchise. Besides, Kyoryuger had amazing sales, the best since Gaoranger (14 billion yen) and Rider keeps making a ton of money every year. As sales are a better indicative of a series' performance, maybe just as much people have been watching Super hero Taisen lately - just not when it airs.
Catastrophe wrote:I keep hearing that Gobuster sold rubbish, but I there is a high possibility that is just /m/ trolls doing what they do best.
No, Go-busters' sales were really a disaster. Bandai complained about it openly when they announced their 2012 balance.

It's impossible to know how much Go-busters made by itself, since the ranger keys line continued through 2012, but everything combined, the Super Sentai line earned 9.6 billion yen in 2012. People estimate Go-busters was responsible for 6 billion, more or less.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron

Post by takenoko »

The Kamen Rider stuff is probably just returning to is pre-Decade numbers (or the downward trend from it before getting the Decade boost). I'm sure there are a bunch of factors. Kids playing less with toys and being more into video games. And less TV watching all around are definitely a few of them.
AxemYellow
I'm a ghost... wooo~
I'm a ghost... wooo~
Favorite series: Gekiranger, Ryuki
2nd Favorite Series: Magiranger, OOO
Dreamy: Katou Yakumo
Favorite Actor?: Mizushima Hiro
Type: INTP Architect

Post by AxemYellow »

These ratings figures are relative, so does that mean that kids are watching less tv (Sunday mornings) compared to adults than they used to?

Return to “ZyuDen Sentai Kyouryuuger”