Ressha Sentai Toqger VS Kamen Rider Gaim released

Den-O reincarnated! Den-O will never die!
Forum rules

Wiki Link

< Kyouryuuger | Toqger | Ninninger >

Current Spoiler Policy: Rumors and basic info about upcoming show okay. Further plot development like extra rangers not okay.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Ressha Sentai Toqger VS Kamen Rider Gaim released

Post by takenoko »

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Ressha_Sen ... Rider_Gaim

Narutaki and a hand monkey dressed like him. That's all.

...okay I have more to say.

Pretty good writing in this special, actually. A bit worrying that Kobayashi and Urobuchi didn't help out, but it was fine. A lot of good gags between the two teams, and there were a lot of good moments. Mouri (the special writer) was a bit out of place in a serious series like Go-Busters, but he's perfect for a light-hearted series like Toqger.

Obvious prequel/promo for Kamen Rider Taisen.
DaVinci030
Space Empire Zangyack
Space Empire Zangyack
Favorite series: 牙狼<GARO>
Alignment: Neutral Good
Instagram: DaVinci030

Re: Ressha Sentai Toqger VS Kamen Rider Gaim released

Post by DaVinci030 »

Sounds like it's a good TV special... unlike Birth of the 10th! Kamen Riders All Together!! (1984)

Seems that the Underground Empire Badan is the only antagonist if this TV special.

Go-On Macaroni
Rising to the Top
Rising to the Top
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Go-On Macaroni »

Eh? ZX was awesome. A bit clip-showy but, I thought the real meat of it worked well enough.
PHurricane
The Eyes in the Skies
The Eyes in the Skies
Favorite series: W/Den-O
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger

Post by PHurricane »

I thought this special was fantastic and, frankly, better than any of the theatrical Sentai vs. Rider movies we’ve gotten in the past few years.

At first glance, combining these two shows should not work. Gaim is all about the doom and gloom, particularly in recent episodes, and Toqger is (literally) bright rainbows and cheery imagination. However, they establish common ground between the two by focusing on the importance that their respective hometowns have to all of them, and the lengths they would go to in order to defend them. I was so impressed by that.

Seeing Kouta and Right together was bittersweet. Kouta was so idealistic and innocent at the beginning of Gaim, and morally-speaking, he’s really taken a beating over the series. During his scenes with Right, there were moments when I could see glimpses of the old Kouta sneaking out. It makes me wonder if we’ll see Right and the other Toqgers get worn down by the fight against Shadow in a similar way. (Actually, I was a little disturbed about how similar shadow leader Hikari’s mannerisms were to Micchi. I love Micchi within the context of Gaim’s story, but having a similar character within Toqger terrifies me for some reason.)

Narutaki...I still don’t understand who/what you are, but I’ve made my peace with that. After all this time, I don’t think there’s an answer that would satisfy anyone, let alone everyone. So if they make a monkey puppet Narutaki and sell it, I would try and track one down.

The confused stares during the initial joint transformation was about as perfect as you could get. I feel like it hit all the right notes. Ryuugen and Baron’s version of Kachidoki Arms was also hilarious. Poor Baron still can’t catch a break with his name. Although, as far as being the butt of a joke is concerned, I think Takatora and the way he thought everyone around him was hallucinating takes the cake.

Does Japan have a mole problem? The Mole Imagin seemed to be the default grunt troops for a bunch of recent movies, and now we’ve got multiple mole monsters from Badan. It’s just a lot of moles.

Anyway, good special. I think I would rather see one or two of these specials a year rather than the Taisen movies with their overly complicated plots. Just let the characters run into each other, have some hijinks, then go back on their merry way. Yes, Toei won't get the profit from the sale of movie tickets, but I doubt this cost anywhere near as much to make as a full-blown theatrical movie either.
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault

Post by takenoko »

Just as Decade is the representation of 10 years of Riders, I still believe Narutaki is the amalgamation of every over-the-top annoying fanboy.

Speaking of towns, I thought one of the plot twists would be that Right and the others were from Zawame. And their secret base was either the shrine tree or Yggdrasill Tower.

I agree, this felt like a true VS special, which highlights the most interesting parts of both series. It didn't devolve into an orgy of battle and CGI quite as much. I think having a good comedy writer also helped for this special.
dryedmangoez
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool

Post by dryedmangoez »

I loved it. I thought it was a great balance of both Gaim and ToQger.

I guess other than promoting Kamen Rider Taisen, this special aimed to bring some KR viewers over to ToQger (and vice versa of course). I think it was a good representation of both as well. A good introduction to either show for any newcomers.

And yes, this was definitely much more enjoyable than most recent Vs movies. It was enjoyable and it made sense. It wasn't just a fanwank and both could conceivably fit in the continuity of both series (if you're into all that continuity stuff).
Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

The best part was Takatora not having enough IMAGINATION to believe in giant robots.

Although it was kinda weird that the fruit suddenly "made my monster grow".
Catastrophe
ZECT
ZECT
Favorite series: Kyoryuger
2nd Favorite Series: W
Quote: "When I first started, I knew everything about nothing and have progressed in the subsequent two decades, realising that now I know practically nothing about everything"

Post by Catastrophe »

This wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. Would have been nice a bit later on to be invested a bit more in the Sentai characters.
kyoichikiller90
Team Gaim
Team Gaim
Favorite series: Kamen Rider Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: KR Agito/Kabuto
Dreamy: Akiyama Nana
Favorite Actor?: Hongo Kanata
Favorite Band: Maroon 5
Alignment: Neutral Evil
My boom: ONORE DECADE
Quote: Ore wa hitori dake jubun da. Dare mou tomete nai, dare mou jama wa saseru nai. Sa... Omae-tachi kakatte koi yo.
Type: ESTP Promoter

Post by kyoichikiller90 »

No more platonic relationship... Considered couple already... Right and Kouta really getting along very well.
DrowningFishy
Rank Gone due to timeline changes
Favorite series: Kamen Rider
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Quote: "Silly Kaijiu. Kicks are for Riders!" - hunter-urufu

Post by DrowningFishy »

Well that opening henshin was a bit-awkward. I'll be honest I don't like the newest Sentai but if they really are like anything in this movie some day that might change. I can't believe how many laughs this movie yanked from me. Especially when the mole kept having issues with kitty there (three in the morning bear with me here). Though the part with Takatora really got me. Nice to know how observant he is and how much he cares for his underlings.
Klanoyt
Mega
Favorite series: Wizard
2nd Favorite Series: All Kamen Riders
Alignment: Neutral Good
Type: INTJ Mastermind

Post by Klanoyt »

This episode made me realize that I missed Narutaki. And Takatora... "What giant robots? Get some rest." LOL.
Jigoku_Eternal
Favorite series: All Kamen Rider
2nd Favorite Series: Gokaiger
Dreamy: Rikako Sakata
Favorite Actor?: Kenji Matsuda
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Jigoku_Eternal »

Not a bad special, only thing that grinds my gears is Narutaki and his Narutaki puppet shows up, gives the pass, and POOF!!!!
Connie_Edogawa
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Juu Mousou!!!!!
Favorite series: Go-Busters and Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Gekiranger and Ryuki
Dreamy: Hinata Hyuga
Favorite Actor?: Mizuki Nana
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: Touhou Project
Quote: "Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Jack Handy
Type: INFP Healer

Post by Connie_Edogawa »

I love this special, and a small part of me hopes Kouta held onto his Rainbow Pass, so we can get quick blink-and-you'll-miss-it shots of it every once in a while in his room or something.
MadCow
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru
Favorite series: Kabuto
2nd Favorite Series: W
Dreamy: Watanabe Natsuna
Favorite Actor?: Takeru Satoh
Alignment: Chaotic Good
My boom: miraculous
Type: ISTJ Inspector

Post by MadCow »

Random Narutaki out of nowhere was random.

I understand it was just for laughs against Takatora, but it's very odd that a giant robot battling over Zanmawe city doesn't cause massive property damage at all -- not even for show, since most super sentai robot battles still show collateral damage during the fight. It seems they got out of their way to not bump into any buildings at all here.

So I guess Underground Empire Badan will be the primary antagonist for the upcoming Kamen Rider Taisen which, if it turns out to be true, would be a refreshing change from Shocker and all their various incarnations.

I don't watch Toqger but what was this Imagination moment that Right and Kouta had before rescuing Mai? Was it an actual power, like some form of mental precognition thing, or just Right's equivalent of a moral peptalk?
bluegreen
Infinity

Post by bluegreen »

takenoko wrote: Speaking of towns, I thought one of the plot twists would be that Right and the others were from Zawame. And their secret base was either the shrine tree or Yggdrasill Tower.
I started to wonder about that too when I saw the drawing of the tree. They do look a lot like the same tree and it would explain why they can't find it.

Return to “Ressha Sentai Toqger”