KR Gaim 26 released

Such a fruit
bluegreen
Infinity

Re: KR Gaim 26 released

Post by bluegreen »

UltimateCharge wrote:One thing I thought was cool in this episode was that we see that his desire to 'keep Mai smiling' is actually more of a demented control issue than it is a schoolboy crush.
I have a question about this. It may be more of a Japan cultural question. I've noticed in these shows an emphasis on protecting people's smiles. It always seems like an odd phrase to me. Is there a reason the smile is so important?
takenoko
Team Baron
Team Baron
Favorite series: All of them
Alignment: Neutral
My boom: stick
Quote: <Lunagel> That's Toei's dumb fault
Type: ISFJ Protector

Post by takenoko »

Candelira's catchphrase probably captures it better in English: Keep smiling~

At the end of the day, it's just a kid's show. Sometimes things get a bit cliche and it becomes about protecting love and peace and justice and stuff like that.
KR_FIA
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by KR_FIA »

With everyone focusing on the main casts, I have just one thing to say. Whatever happened to Oren? Surely enough they will meet in that forest since he leaped into a Crack in previous episode.
squashy
Gabu
Dreamy: Koyomi-tan~
Favorite Actor?: Takamasa Suga
Favorite Band: Fall Out Boy
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
My boom: Chokushi no Magan
Quote: I'm full of motivation!

Post by squashy »

KR_FIA wrote:With everyone focusing on the main casts, I have just one thing to say. Whatever happened to Oren? Surely enough they will meet in that forest since he leaped into a Crack in previous episode.
Well judging from the preview Oren will meet Kouta soon.

So chances are the best fighters will ultimately be on the Zawame side (Gaim Kachidoki, Zangetsu, Bravo). Still, they might have skills, but Ryouma hasn't revealed the other belts he was sketching yet.

As for Micchi, I like his character even more now. Really interesting to watch how far he is willing to get his hands dirty. Besides, I can relate with his personality. If anything, I don't like Mai's reaction. What, a kid gets angry at your love interest and you can bitchslap him 'cause you can? Micchi didn't even use any insults, he was just venting, and normally he always acts kindly to her and everyone else (manipulating aside, he means them no harm). Mai is the real bitch here.
Image RIDER HEADBUTT!!!
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

Yeah, that Mai. She sure is a bitch, what with Micchi going thermonuclear with the screaming and the shoving, and that vapid bitch just has to slap him. Ugh, what a bitch.

Your fedora is showing.

Spoiler
Yessss, Zangetsu face-turn. We're spiralling around the fulcrum here, where everyone's growing in some new direction. Oren, Jounouchi, and Takatora all seem to be on the verge of becoming Good Guys, while Kaito and Micchi are falling further into the abyss of being shits. Loving the hell out of this show, man.
squashy
Gabu

Post by squashy »

dancercotillion wrote:Yeah, that Mai. She sure is a bitch, what with Micchi going thermonuclear with the screaming and the shoving, and that vapid bitch just has to slap him. Ugh, what a bitch.

Your fedora is showing.
What, you actually find her reaction appropriate? Aren't you applying your omniscience to the situation? To Mai, Micchi has always been a nice, calm, decent guy. Now if my ever nice, calm, decent friend suddenly enters rage mode I'll be shocked and concerned, but no way am I going to kick him in the nuts to snap him out of it.

Have I ever told you guys that out of a couple of anime watching friends I show Gaim to, most of them called Mai's behavior "bitchy" rather than "tsundere"?

And yes, the one they find "tsundere" is Kaito :lol:
Image RIDER HEADBUTT!!!
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
Favorite series: Gaim
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

and if, instead, a male character had punched Micchi, no one would have an issue with that character. It worries me that it's an issue to anyone that Mai slapped Micchi.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
dancercotillion
Vaglass
Vaglass
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
My boom: Pityin' foo's.
Quote: Some laws you break.
Some laws break you.

Post by dancercotillion »

Yeah, exactly. If Mai had been a male character, Micchi'd've gotten a fist in the face to snap him out of his blind rage. And that would be fine, no one would comment on it, and if they did it would be along the lines of "finally, someone punched that dickhead!"

How many times in these shows have we seen dudes punch each other in the face out of concern? It happens over and over again, but as soon as a girl slaps a massively over-reacting guy who seems to have exploded out of nowhere, she's a bitch. That's bullshit.
Tuss4
Train man
Favorite series: Faiz
Dreamy: Ayame Misaki
Favorite Actor?: Myself
Alignment: Neutral

Post by Tuss4 »

You guys are forgetting that Micchi essentially treats everyone in Team GAIM aside from Kouta (up until Kouta discovered the truth) as a child. He's trying to "protect their smiles" by hiding the truth from them. He deserved to be slapped, who is he to play with anyone's fate, or to assume that they can't handle the truth about themselves. Frankly, his behavior is insulting on a few levels.

Dengar
ZAIA Tool
ZAIA Tool
2nd Favorite Series: Agito
Alignment: Lawful Good

Post by Dengar »

UltimateCharge wrote:One thing I thought was cool in this episode was that we see that his desire to 'keep Mai smiling' is actually more of a demented control issue than it is a schoolboy crush. He doesn't actually care about her and what she wants, but rather he wants her as some puppet or avatar that can keep him sane as long as he can look at her having fun.
Just to add something, what you're saying is basically correct, but he himself does believe that he cares. His entire definition of "caring" is skewed.
Kogashi
Yggdrasill Dog
Yggdrasill Dog
2nd Favorite Series: Shinkenger
Alignment: Neutral Good
My boom: OK KO Let's Be Heroes
Quote: Man should not live on carbohydrates alone, complex or otherwise.
Type: ENFJ Teacher

Post by Kogashi »

What the nut job believes it true does not make it true. There are some people who think everyone on TV are lizard people, that doesn't mean we shouldn't mind when they start trying to remove people's faces.
READING TOO MUCH INTO THINGS![/size] including random over analysis rants on pop culture, and Tokusatsu series reviews, if Toei gets off my back for long enough. Also follow on twitter @R2TMIT, or facebook.com/R2TMIT
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

squashy wrote:
dancercotillion wrote:To Mai, Micchi has always been a nice, calm, decent guy. Now if my ever nice, calm, decent friend suddenly enters rage mode I'll be shocked and concerned, but no way am I going to kick him in the nuts to snap him out of it.
Except this situation wasn't that simple.

Mai's action is given even more substance when taking into consideration of what she's been through in the episode itself. She just found out what happened to Yuuya. (who she may potentially crush on) Then she's living with the reality that the world is ending. Then she gets blame for the Inves attack during her attempt to reveal the truth. (just when the Beat Riders name were somewhat clear again) To top that, Michi had to go and push Kouta for telling the truth and being honest. She couldn't handle the stress and had to let it out. (with the slap)

So yes, her action in this case is quite reasonable. I don't think that's b*tchy of her.

Heck, even Kouta tells her to calm down. As she was upset. Everyone has the right to be. But Michi's action just happened to add more fuel to the situation.
KR_FIA
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by KR_FIA »

I think Mai slapping is with Mitsuzane pinning every faults on Kouta to the point of pushing him down. He didn't cause the untimely Invest "ambush" to happen, nor they should be denied of the truth when it was something that serious. In that sense, other than unwittingly ending Yuuya's life, Kouta has done nothing wrong.

That slap might have been overdoing it, but I'm sure most of the spectators cheered when it happened.
squashy
Gabu

Post by squashy »

Kogashi wrote:and if, instead, a male character had punched Micchi, no one would have an issue with that character. It worries me that it's an issue to anyone that Mai slapped Micchi.
dancercotillion wrote:Yeah, exactly. If Mai had been a male character, Micchi'd've gotten a fist in the face to snap him out of his blind rage. And that would be fine, no one would comment on it, and if they did it would be along the lines of "finally, someone punched that dickhead!"

How many times in these shows have we seen dudes punch each other in the face out of concern? It happens over and over again, but as soon as a girl slaps a massively over-reacting guy who seems to have exploded out of nowhere, she's a bitch. That's bullshit.
It's an issue to me when any character hit Micchi like that. First of all, Micchi has always appeared nice to everybody in his team, you don't hit someone who is always nice right the first time he explodes. Second, Micchi was shouting at Kouta, this was supposed to be between them. Third, even though he acted aggressively, he was expressing himself surprisingly politely (that made me raise my eyebrows, like, are Japanese always that reasonable when they rage?). So I'm not saying Mai is suddenly a bitch, nor Micchi is suddenly the poor guy here, but in this particular circumstance, Mai seemed pretty bitchy.

As for guys punching guys, give an example of "dudes punch each other in the face out of concern." As far as I know, Rider brawling is always because of:

A. One's goddamned huge ego.
B. Some (stupid) secret one has to hide from the other.
C. Some (stupid) reason the scriptwriter uses to justify awesomeness.

And they appear to prefer punching each other in the gut.
TokuCasual wrote:
Except this situation wasn't that simple.

Mai's action is given even more substance when taking into consideration of what she's been through in the episode itself. She just found out what happened to Yuuya. (who she may potentially crush on) Then she's living with the reality that the world is ending. Then she gets blame for the Inves attack during her attempt to reveal the truth. (just when the Beat Riders name were somewhat clear again) To top that, Michi had to go and push Kouta for telling the truth and being honest. She couldn't handle the stress and had to let it out. (with the slap)

So yes, her action in this case is quite reasonable. I don't think that's b*tchy of her.

Heck, even Kouta tells her to calm down. As she was upset. Everyone has the right to be. But Michi's action just happened to add more fuel to the situation.
Okay, if you put it that way I can agree with you. Still, that was quite a hard way to blow off steam on another.
Image RIDER HEADBUTT!!!
TokuCasual
Hyakkiyakou wo Buttagiru

Post by TokuCasual »

You are talking about the girl that was upset when Kouta left, and upset when Kouta returned. She's emotional, and young.

Not saying all young people are like this of course, just saying Mai seem to be that way. Then again, she did bottled it up. The girl could have just given up on life in general knowing the world will end, but she manages to stand up anyway, forgive Kouta, and want to help others be aware of the problem. It's a double-edge sword. She's not doing too bad if a slap is all she committed.

Gaim is turning out to be quite the drama. A pretty good one at that.

Return to “Kamen Rider Gaim”